Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$5 part save me big time yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $5 part save me big time yesterday
    Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:23am
A while back it was suggested by Pete to install a "shaft collar" and boy do I understand why now. Was cruising with the family yesterday and all of a sudden no power and motor revved fast. Popped the motor cover and looked down at the shaft and bam it was broke clean in half about an inch behind the coupler. We were in 100' of water and no trash in the lake anywhere just a pretty good chop on the water since I was in main lake. I would say the shaft collar at a minimum saved me a $400 prop and may have even saved sinking the boat if the prop had gotten into the bottom of the boat, pulled the strut off or damaged the rudder housing - who knows, but this was definately a life saver in my book. I am sure you guys will chime in with potential causes, but I am in the market for an ARE shaft now. Highly recommend that everyone out there invest $5.00 in a shaft collar if you don't already have one

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:35am
Mark,
I'm glad to hear you had the safety collar.

The primary cause of prop shaft breakage just aft of the trans coupling is shaft misalignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:46am
I hear you Pete but, I just did the alignment a month ago and could turn the prop with two fingers that sucker was dead on - I thought about this all night and I think it was the lack of good heat fit on the coupler when I reinstalled a year ago - it took me two tries to get it to fit tight and my guess is that it lost a tight fit and was wearing the key until it created a misalignment issue - here is another pic of the key grooves and there is no evidence of the key anywhere.

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 12:57pm
Mark,
Glad to hear you guys are OK. That safety collar probably saved you from a sudden and violent change of course as well!
Bummer about the shaft.
We have not made it out to Lanier yet this year. Was doing some (a lot) of rust mitigation on my trailer. Bigger project than I anticipated. Should be back on the water this coming Saturday weather permitting.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:00pm
Mark,
The black smut around the coupling/shaft is a classic indicator of fretting caused by bad alignment. If you got the alignment dialed in a month ago, it's quite possible the damage had already been done. How far out was the alignment when you did it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:11pm
It was less than .004 to .005 when I checked it after running all last season - I figured this was just the initial wear on the new strut cutlass bearing b/c it fit extremely tight when I put the shaft in

Could the coupler to shaft connection accounted for the out of tolerance on the alignment - I feel real confident in doing the alignment process and the trans has held up with no signs of improper alignment affecting the transmission (ie dirty neutral syptoms) nor did I have any noticeable vibrations
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 3:34pm
It's interesting that so much of the keyway on the shaft protrudes from the aft side of the coupler (pic 2).

Also, on the same picture, just aft of the keyway slot on the shaft, are markings suggestive of the coupler fit.

But then on picture 3, we see the front end of the shaft flush with the front end of the coupler. Did the shaft break twice? Once toward the front of the coupler then slid out a ways then snapped again where we see it in picture 2?

I wonder if the keyway is rattling around inside the coupler between two pieces of broken driveshaft.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 3:36pm
That would also explain why there is some much residue on the collar - it may have been rubbing on the log for a while.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
oldslalomskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldslalomskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 1:43am
I just happened to see the link to this one today, so probably nobody will see this, but I had an experience with a broken shaft about 25 years ago on my old '81 Nautique. Unfortunately, mine broke about an inch in front of the strut, so the retaining collar didn't help. The prop slammed into the rudder, which immediately turned 90 degrees; this caused the boat to dive completely underwater at 36 mph. The skier had no idea what had happened as he skied past the "hole in the water where the boat used to be". The windshield broke from the force of going underwater, and the driver's seat was ripped completely off its mount. The water sealed the motor box to the floor, and the boat immediately surfaced, level with the water and with the hull completely full of water. I had apparently instinctively yanked back on the throttle, and the motor was still idling. Since I didn't know yet what had happened, I tried putting it in gear--of course, nothing happened! The motor continued to idle until it starved for air due to the intake tubes being full of water. After the bilge pump and manual bailing got the water out of the boat, I raised the engine cover and could see that when I put it in gear the transmission output shaft was turning, so that's when I realized either the shaft had broken or I had lost the prop. The torque of the prop being stopped by the rudder caused the strut to twist about 35 degrees, but the shaft was still in the strut. I replaced prop, shaft, coupler, and strut bushing, but was actually able to bend the strut back into alignment, and the rudder only had a small nick on it. Since water had gotten into the motor, I drained the oil as soon as I got home, then did a couple of back-to-back oil/filter changes with a little kerosene mixed in the oil. The motor ran great for another 7 years, when I rebuilt it after losing a valve spring. The break pattern on my shaft was a classic fatigue failure that had been building for a while; a small sliver about a quarter of an inch wide at one edge of the shaft was the last thing holding it together. I was always meticulous about alignment, and I think there was a flaw in the shaft that led to the fatigue failure.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 8:32am
Glad all are safe!!
Would you show me exactly where and how the collar is attached?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 9:39am
Egon,
The safety collar goes on the shaft just forward of the packing gland. If the shaft breaks at the trans coupling, it stops the shaft from sliding aft. Since you sure don't want to have to pull the shaft to put a solid collar on, you can get split types. McMaster has them and in stainless too.

Breaking the shaft at the coupling is probably the most common spot. It breaking there is from misalignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 10:01am
Thanks Pete, I'll look them up @ McMaster. What holds them on if they are split? Hope I don't regret asking this after I see one in the catalog.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 10:04am
I knew I would regret that question. Just found them.
Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 10:06am
Egon,
Just look them up!! You being a retired tool maker, you see right away!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 10:10am
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

I knew I would regret that question. Just found them.
Thanks

I knew you would too

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 11:33am
Will, thanks for sharing your story with us. I know that Jackie Deen can relate as a similar story happenend to him on White Lake at a gathering a couple years ago. Jackie was running pretty fast when shaft broke causing the same situation only throwing the boat into a hard port turn throwing Jackie out of the drivers seat and into the lake. His leg caught the throttle shifter and snapped it off on his way out of the boat. CCFans saw the whole thing happen and where there quickly to rescue he and a boat that was still running at high RPM.

After reading this and thinking about Jackie's story I think I may run down to Trator supply to see if they have the same sorta thing.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 11:52am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldslalomskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 1:19pm
Wow, sounds like Jackie had a more traumatic experience than I did! I'm pretty sure my boat turned to starboard since I took the brunt of the force from the "dive", with the driver's seat breaking off--that probably saved me from being thrown out. I did have a ruptured cervical disc, but I have had a few of those before and since then. After my experience, I was thinking about inventing a method to retain the shaft in the event of a failure like mine, behind the retaining collar. That would require a secondary retainer below the hull, but in front of the strut--it would need to be tapered to avoid turbulence. Of course, if the shaft broke behind the strut...Oh well, never got around to that, but the old '81 gave 15 more years of great service until I sprung for a new one in 2002.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by oldslalomskier oldslalomskier wrote:

After my experience, I was thinking about inventing a method to retain the shaft in the event of a failure like mine, behind the retaining collar. That would require a secondary retainer below the hull, but in front of the strut--it would need to be tapered to avoid turbulence.

Already invented

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldslalomskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 2:04pm
Cool! Does it secure to the shaft with setscrew(s), or just rely on compression from the perimeter screws?

Did you notice any drop in performance? It looks like that would create some turbulence due to the spherical shape. I was thinking of doing something like a clutch installation cone, with a gradually tapered leading edge and a square collar at the trailing edge, which would be within a few thousandths away from the front of the strut.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 8:00pm
had my shaft snap just forward of the prop hub, 35mph, 15 feet of water, (there is a slight chance we hit something) no obvious impact was felt, just lost power and came to a stop.
This is the life
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 1:29pm
Hey guys. Can someone please give me a link where I can buy these collars? All I can think about is this happening when I have a barefooter on the boom at 38.
Thanks,
Mark,
Charlotte, NC
95 Nautique 351
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 1:57pm
Mark,

I am not a good link guy, but goggle McMaster-Carr Supply Co. in Elmhurst, IL. On-Line Catalog . They have a large on-line Catalog that most plants / factories buy from. Correct Craft also put a lot of McMaster-Carr parts on these boats.

Donald
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 2:57pm
Here ya go Mark, Shaft Collars.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 3:08pm
I found mine locally at Ace or TrueValue hardware - the big box guys no such luck. You might try your local store if your trying to get on the water this weekend
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by MAN - GA MAN - GA wrote:

I found mine locally at Ace or TrueValue hardware - the big box guys no such luck. You might try your local store if your trying to get on the water this weekend

Mark,
Did they have it in stainless? One piece or the two piece clamp on style?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 12:23pm
Thanks Guys. They had stainless, aluminum, one-piece, two-piece, everything you need.

On an unrelated matter - I knew my Purple and Teal Nautique would bring the NBA Hornets name and colors back to Charlotte!
95 Nautique 351
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by oldslalomskier oldslalomskier wrote:

After my experience, I was thinking about inventing a method to retain the shaft in the event of a failure like mine, behind the retaining collar. That would require a secondary retainer below the hull, but in front of the strut--it would need to be tapered to avoid turbulence.

Already invented

That exterior underwater collar looks like the sacrificial zinc shaft anodes we sold when i was an E & B Marine manager in CT but that was for saltwater use..never thought of using it as a retainer, is that one zinc?

The interior collar is a great idea. Questions:

1) With the collar installed, if the shaft were to break within the coupler, or anywhere forward of the packing gland, would the shaft (or remainder) go nuts within the boat and do damage? (although i assume any damage would be better than a shaft that has slipped thru the gland allowing water to flood in and a lost prop)

2) is there a recommended installation distance from the packing nut?

3)could the additional weight of the collar on the spinning shaft create, or aggravate, any previously un-noticed shaft wobble, or create any other issues?

4) i assume the split SS is the way to go, anyone know the original (I assume) shaft diameter on a 74 Southwind?

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 6:33am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

The interior collar is a great idea. Questions:

1) With the collar installed, if the shaft were to break within the coupler, or anywhere forward of the packing gland, would the shaft (or remainder) go nuts within the boat and do damage? (although i assume any damage would be better than a shaft that has slipped thru the gland allowing water to flood in and a lost prop)

2) is there a recommended installation distance from the packing nut?

3)could the additional weight of the collar on the spinning shaft create, or aggravate, any previously un-noticed shaft wobble, or create any other issues?

4) i assume the split SS is the way to go, anyone know the original (I assume) shaft diameter on a 74 Southwind?

1) No, the shaft would still be retained by the coupling.

2) About 1/2" is enough to keep the prop out of the rudder.

3) No, the extremely small imbalance of the collar not being a perfect round will not be a problem. Think about the set screws running in the shaft coupling through all the years.

4) In 74 they didn't use safety collars.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 9:54am
Thanks Pete. Good info. What I meant by #4, though, was does anyone know what size the shaft it might have and what size collar to order? Boat is at the lake, so can't measure from here. And, if I had to measure, what is simplest way to do so precisely?

Also, 1) adding an interior collar is a no-brainer, but do you think the underwater collar is really necessary, and 2) are there any ways to detect imminent shaft failure in general?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic