NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 won't start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1997nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 won't start
    Posted: April-01-2012 at 10:20pm
I replaced the fuel filter on a 1997 GT40 EFI. I turned on & off the ignition to fill back up the fuel canister. I did check & the canister is full of gas, so the fuel pumps are working. I think I may have flooded the engine. What do you do to start a flooded engine?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:24pm
Did you give it enough time to get fuel all the way through the system. I'm thinking flooding is less likely than an air pocket you've got to work through.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:31pm
OK, so just keep turning the igniton on & off & keep the fuel pump, pumping. I did check & there is spark from the plugs.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:48pm
If there is air, and this is just a theory, you'd have to push down on the fuel rail shrader valve to release the air/check to see if fuel is getting up there.

Did you have any problems before? Is this an Fuel Control Cell type filter/pump? If so, did you unplug anything near the FCC to get the filter out?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 3:37pm
If you push on the fuel rail shrader valve, which looks like a tire value ?, should gas come out of that is working ok.

Things worked good before. This is a fuel control cell. I did unplug pump to get new filter on. When I turn on the igniton I feel vibration on both pumps, so feel both are operating ok. Also the fuel canister is full of fuel, which was empty to start with.
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 3:55pm
It would be nice if you could check what pressure you are getting at the fuel rail.

Did you have to disconnect any of the fuel lines?
C-Rob

2000 SAN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 4:01pm
Yes, I took out the fuel tank, so yes I had the gas lines disconnected.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by 1997nautique 1997nautique wrote:

Yes, I took out the fuel tank, so yes I had the gas lines disconnected.

Wait, you took out the fuel tank? To change the filter? Or for something else. Yup, if you push down on the tire valve looking thing, you should have fuel there, and that should help let out air pockets.

Just a quick check, before you go too deep. Does this have a safety tether? That's definitely connected, right?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 4:12pm
No I did not take the fuel tank out for changing the fuel filter, that was something else. OK I will push down on the tire valve & keep turning on the ignition to have pumps work until fuel comes out of valve. Also I did check & the safety tether is connected ok. Good idea to check though.

Thanks for the help. I think that should take care of it.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 4:19pm
Ok, one more thing, if that doesn't help. This is an old thread:
http://nautiqueowner.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19630&PID=241519&title=poor-running-after-fuel-filter-change

The other guy, don't really know him because he never came back after that thread, said that Vince at Skidim mentioned something about pushing the filter all the way down until the bottom O-Ring on the filter fitted against the fuel cell snuggly. Be sure to check that as well.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 4:55pm
Yes, when I pushed down to fit the filter onto the cell I did hear a snap, so I think it should be ok.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 5:04am
I agree that you should put a pressure gauge on the schrader vavle; that will tell you a lot. In addition, if there is fuel pressure, I'd recheck the safety tether. My switch finally died a few months ago. I had to jump it. Also, there is a way to jump the pumps so that they go on continually even if the engine isn't running. I'd have to look it up, so let me know if you'd like to do that.

Also, depending on the fuel level in your tank, if you do run the pumps with the jumper (so that they keep running), you should hear the splash of the gas returning to the tank after it's round trip. I always hear that splash, telling me the low pressure pump is working. Then measuring the pressure at the schrader valvue tests the high pressure pump.

Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 9:58pm
Just gave it another try tonight. I do hear gas splash back into the tank, so the low pressure pump works. Which pump is the low pressure pump. inside or outside the canister? I did take the valve out completely & run the pumps but no gas came out of the valve. So maybe the high pressure pump is bad. Not sure why when everthing was working good last time I ran engine last fall. How do you test the pressure at the schrader valve? Tire tester? But I don't think there is any pressure building up. Are there any other filter or anything else that would block the pressure from building up. I can feel that both pumps are pumping when I run them. Open to any other idea's?
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 10:45pm
If nothing is coming out of the schrader valve when you run both pumps and you've taken the valve out, then there is a problem with the high pressure pump/lines. The high pressure pump is the one in the fuel canister; the low pressure pump is below bolted to the front of the block.

One point of failure is the hose that suspends the high pressure pump inside the canister/filter. In my case, I had a black hose (gas line hose) that was original. It developed a pin hole that got progressively bigger and bigger to the point that the gas would just flow back into the canister instead of the fuel rail and the engine would eventually starve. In your case, it was running and now isn't, but if either the hose has some sort of break or is loose (not tightly clamped to the pump and to the top of the canister), you won't get flow out to the rails.

When you've tested the pumps, did you unplug each one separately (since they are on the same relay) to re-confirm that both are running? I'd unplug the low pressure pump just to be sure you can hear the high pressure pump is really running.

As for testing pressure at the schrader valve, run down to Harbor Freight Tools or an auto supply place and pick up a fuel injector pressure tester gauge. You just screw it onto the schrader valve and then can do all sorts of tests (pressure, pressure regulator, bleed down, etc.). Still, if you are not getting any gas to come out with the valve out, nothing is getting to the rails, so I'd go back into the canister (after unplugging the low pressure pump to make sure just the high pressure pump appears to be running).

Open the canister again (it will be full since you heard the splashing at the tank signifying that the low pressure pump is filling the canister with the excess flowing back to the tank). I'd double check that hose to make sure there isn't a split, etc. The two things I can think of (if it sounds like it is running) is that the hose split or the hose slipped off the top of the canister when you were replacing the filter), or the pump just happened to go bad. I'd suspect the hose or the clamping first.

I suspect that since we have always had ethanol in our gas here in California since we got our boat in '96, it just ate away at the pump hose. So now every time I open the canister to replace the filter, I replace the hose at the same time.

If the hose and the clamping at both ends is secure, then I would say the pump has a problem. Not sure the best way to test it out of the canister since you want to see if it is pumping liquid but I certainly wouldn't put it in an open container of gas either.

Bottom line guess is it is the hose/clamping. Just make sure everything is tightly connected inside. And I'd watch very carefully about pulling the valve out and then turning the pumps on. You're going to get a ton of gas all over the place if everything is working properly. I'd get the pressure gauge and plug it onto the schrader valve before trying that test again......   :)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 2:53am
OK I will double check check the hose connection. I have read that can be a problem. It looked ok but you never know. Last try before order new pump. Thanks
Tim W
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2012 at 4:22am
Oh, the last time I replaced the filter, when I reassembled it, one of the wires came off the top of the canister where they plug in. After I unplugged each pump plug to hear the other one, I could hear it wasn't running, so opened it back up and found the loose plug.

If it is running (you can hear it) and still no pressure and you are ready to buy a new one, there's probably no harm in putting the pump in a bowl of water and running it to see if it pumps water. I don't like the idea of putting a good pump in water to test, but if you think it is not pumping, might as well do that last test. If it pumps water, then there's something else going on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic