NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BF Boom Gunnel protection?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BF Boom Gunnel protection?
    Posted: February-29-2012 at 1:28pm
Hey all,

We were up at the Wisconsin Water Ski Fed/Expo this weekend and Mike Seipel was there selling all his factory second stuff. My friend got a 2 piece stainless fly high for $200 and we got a BI contour boom for $250. Couldn't really pass that deal up.

What do you guys use to protect the gunnel? I know the booms come with that rubber piece but never really trusted that. I'm looking for something a little more cleaner than simply adding a throw cushion under the bar but maybe that's the only/best way to go. Thought about those step pads some of the newer boats have but didn't know how that'd look either. Thoughts?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 1:30pm
I use a throw cushion... Ive seen too many boats with spidercracked gunnels for me to trust the rubber "gunnel saver" alone, especially if it doesnt sit flat on the gunnel (mine never does).

Ive seen some people use trailer guide pads as well, but those arent super thick.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 2:49pm
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 4:03pm
Mike, I have the gunnel saver, but as you and Tim noted, it really doesn't do much. I throw a seat cushion (throwable PFD) between the boom and gunnel as well.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 4:43pm
How bout this folks, will our FCT get in the way of the boom? Where does yours sit Steve?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:16pm
I am a bit of an odd duck, I hang mine out the starboard side, it is tight up against the drivers seat. Looking for a good picture.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:23pm
This shows generally the configuration, although you can't see relative position related to seat/doghouse/etc...
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:25pm
ARG I love that boat! hmmm...hope our tower doesn't get in the way, anyone else got pics?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:33pm
Thanks Mike, I do too!

This shows the configuration a little better:

Maybe you can call Siepel up and trade the contour in for a tower boom, get the electric hoist option too! As long as your buying, have him throw a super fly high in!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:35pm
bahaha He had a tower boom there...after doing some research on them I just didn't think it'd be the best fit for us.

Is your boom a contour Steve?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:41pm
I think this pic I just found shows that it'll be good to go on our boat with the tower. I know this is a Ski vs the Sport but both are pretty similar when it comes to what I'm worried about.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:42pm
Yes it is a contour boom. One other thought, actually a couple... You won't have any problem working in the boom (on either side of the boat) with the tower. The issue is going to be the chine spray. It really gets you when you are working on starts, once your up it lands just behind you on a 6 foot rope.

For footing with the standard contour boom, I put two fat sac cubes opposite side stern. This helps to reduce the chine spray. I purchased a boom extension at the end of the year but did not get to use it. I expect that is going to make a big difference. Mike (Seipel) will tell you to use two.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:43pm
He just wants the $$$
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:55pm
I have 1 extension and made a huge change, 2 would be best I guess but probably would make steering the boat a little harder...
don´t know if the cable lenght allows for 2 extension...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:57pm
We had the same style boom on the 90 for 5 years that we borrowed from a family friend. Didn't really have any spray issues there so we'll see how it goes.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Hey all,

We were up at the Wisconsin Water Ski Fed/Expo this weekend and Mike Seipel was there selling all his factory second stuff. My friend got a 2 piece stainless fly high for $200 and we got a BI contour boom for $250. Couldn't really pass that deal up.

What do you guys use to protect the gunnel? I know the booms come with that rubber piece but never really trusted that. I'm looking for something a little more cleaner than simply adding a throw cushion under the bar but maybe that's the only/best way to go. Thought about those step pads some of the newer boats have but didn't know how that'd look either. Thoughts?

Never had a problem with the BI boom protector. If people use the boom incorrectly that is more of a problem.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

Never had a problem with the BI boom protector. If people use the boom incorrectly that is more of a problem.

Does that thing spin around and move up and down to fit accordingly? The boom we used to use on the 90 was from a Malibu Flightcraft and the BI boom protector was no where near the gunnel so we used a roll of ugly carpet. The protector didn't seem to want to budge.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 7:14pm
We just use the built-in rubber protector thing on the BI boom FWIW. Gunwale seems very solid on the TSC1.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

We just use the built-in rubber protector thing on the BI boom FWIW. Gunwale seems very solid on the TSC1.

Does the protector lay flat on the gunnel? Or does it hit the corner?

I can see it being sufficient if the former. If the latter... then I would (and do!) use the additional cushion.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 9:08pm

I think this pic I just found shows that it'll be good to go on our boat with the tower. I know this is a Ski vs the Sport but both are pretty similar when it comes to what I'm worried about.

I think that is a double contour.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Does the protector lay flat on the gunnel? Or does it hit the corner?

I can see it being sufficient if the former. If the latter... then I would (and do!) use the additional cushion.

Agree, I've seen one do damage on a '98(mine)
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 9:11pm

How bout this folks, will our FCT get in the way of the boom? Where does yours sit Steve?

No, will not get in way.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:27pm
The booms are all fully adjustable, just shorten or lengthen the cables to get your boom where you want it. By shortening cables you can get your skier forward of the chine blast quicker. There is no rule that a boom must come out of the boat at a 90 degree angle.

The boom extensions work, the gunnel savers work very well.

If you are still worried about spider cracks take a piece of 2x6 cut to length with a notch on top, carpet it or not, set the boom on it and the boom will be braced to the floor won't even touch the gunnel.
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

If you are still worried about spider cracks take a piece of 2x6 cut to length with a notch on top, carpet it or not, set the boom on it and the boom will be braced to the floor won't even touch the gunnel.

Andy has a good idea there. Several people have done just that. I think Kapla rig something up like that on his.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 9:23am
Steve if you put your boom out the passenger side you will be able to have it angled toward the bow of the boat. This should help get you away from the chine spray. At the moment your boom would be angled to the stern getting you further back and into the chine spray.

The main reason I kept the "step sister" tower on my 98 Sport was that I was able to rig up a nice tower boom mount. Easy to setup with no boom inside the boat restricting access.

Copied BoomMate 6000 on my 89 SN2001 but still used a throw cushion underneath for extra insurance.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 11:50am
Depending on the boom/windshield/tower configuration on any given boat, mounting a universal contour boom forwards is usually an option. Most (but not all) universal contours have square bosses, allowing it to go forward or rearward for both sides of the boat.

The boom posted above does not appear to be a BI, but clarification on their terms:

universal contour = bend down AND forward (or rearward). (This is the most common style and is often referred to as just a "contour")

straight contour = bend down only. This style is not very common, as most of the MC's and other tourney boats with the tapered pylons that required the downward bend, also had swept back windshields that required the bend towards the rear.

Mike, just because Ryan's 206 does not have problems with the tower interfering with the boom, doesnt mean that you wont encounter an issue on your Sport. 2 different boats with potentially different pylon, tower and windshield geometry. You may actually have to look at your own boat to determine if you'll have an issue!

Im not crazy about putting a 2x6 boom support on the floor... with the moment a barefooter could potentially put on the boom, youre talking about a pretty serious amount of downward force, on a pretty small area. I could see damaging the fiberglass floor. Its not pretty, but I think I'll keep my gunnel cushion!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 12:06pm
Tim, waiting till spring and seeing if it actually works on our sport would be too easy. I would rather write pages of forum posts than sit here wondering what to chat about on CCFAN

These pictures are the same, descriptions show what Tim is referring to. hmmm, makes me wonder which one we have! I will have to check er out tonight.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 12:09pm
No need to wait til spring, Mike- all you need is access to the boat and a tape measure! Heck, you could probably eyeball it.

Those descriptions are good, but the pictures are useless- they used the same pic for both booms (its a universal contour- note the angle of the clamp... a "straight contour" would sit flat on the ground).
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 12:13pm
So in these pics, they're showing a boom that would go back behind the windshield frame on some boats, and potentially behind our rear tower foot/leg.

Boats in storage, might dissect some pics in a bit.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 12:37pm
I dug up this pic. I have a straight boom on my boat, and it is angled back slightly. I did install the tower myself, but the picture should give you an idea for your tower/boom.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic