NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 engine loping

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 1:27am
On the cleaning with a cotton swab, how can you clean around the valve seat since the valve is closed? Is it possible to carefully open it manually to clean the seat?
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 1:26am
I've replaced the tube in the fuel control cell (it developed a pin hole and lost pressure at higher speeds--the engine needed more fuel and too much fuel was going out the pin hole to supply it). That is always something to look at if you loose at power on the MPFI engines with the fuel control cell. I'm going to put my fuel pressure gauge back on it once I have the engine back together and watch it when it is loping when hot. That should help determine whether it is the regulator or something electrical.

Thanks!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 1:50pm
It also comes up with these motors that the fuel control relays can be troublesome.

I've also read that there is some kind of a clear tube within the Fuel Control Cell (if your boat has one) that can develop a crack and cause fuel pressure problems.

Also, fuel pressure regulator has come up as something to check.

But, usually problems that are related to temperature are often electrical in nature.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 8:42am
You could use a Q-tip soaped in body cleaner.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 2:19am
Okay, so I pulled the IAC (ISCV) and cleaned the orifices in the throttle body, including the screen. The ISCV I pulled out of my car actually seats in the throttle body, so it is easy to clean where it seats after you've pulled it out. However, since the valve seat is part of the IAC, I can't clean that part.

My question before I start spaying the inside of the IAC on either side of the closed valve seat, I wanted to make sure it is fine to spray throttle body cleaner in there. I don't want to short it out, so would appreciate advising the best way to clean the valve (and seat).

Thanks,

Gordon
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 6:42pm
Good idea. I did that recently on one of my cars. Since I already have the throttle body/plenum off and am ready to take the intake manifold off in preparation for replacing the original GT40 heads, it will be really easy (much easier than the car), I'll go ahead and do that now.

Thanks!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 11:24am
Idle air control, as Luch suggests
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 11:09am
it's normal on cold starts, have you cleaned the IAC valve?
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 5:10am
I have always had a bit of a problem with engine loping. It will do it when very cold (winter) when launching, and also do it when the engine is hot and it has sat for a while (30 minutes or so with the engine compartment closed). The warmer it is, the worse it is (really bad in the summer).

When it is cold, it can last for 30 seconds or so but then smoothes out without doing much of anything. When it is hot, it can last that long or up to a minute and be bad enough that it stalls. Giving it throttle helps and speeds up it getting back to normal. I have no idean on the problem when it is cold, but I would suspect vapor lock when it is hot. But with MPFI and high pressure pump, I don't know how that would happen.

I have not put a pressure gauge on it to see if the pressure is going up and down when it is loping (I am in the process of replacing my original GT40 heads with new ones, so it will be a week or two before I can put it back in the water and test). I did have my low pressure pump fail last year and I replaced it (made no difference for this problem), and have not seen any problem with the high pressure pump in the fuel canister.

But since it is a continual and ongoing problem, I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

Thanks,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic