NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2526272829 32>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Careful with the propane also it will make you loopy. I spent alot of time in tents with propane heat,not all of us had underground trucks with built in heat and air blower.

I resemble this quote.

I sure have enjoyed going thru this thread Hussler...whata job!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:56am
To think they even paid us to get dizzy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:58am
paid us quite well thank you very much.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2015 at 1:11am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I completely agree with the tazmanian impression. everyone has a vision of what someone looks like from posting. i had you as wild hair big belly plumbers butt   I never figured you for a guy with that girl.   

Haha thanks d*ck, but that's not me that's my buddy and his fiancé , I let them borrow the boat.

Hope to gets the new wheels back Monday for the trailer and I'm planning on installing different fenders because the new rims and tires are bigger
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 2:25am
Here's the new wheels, 15 x7 Wheel Vintiques, painted the centers the same Interlux red as the boat. Topped them off with some reproduction ford hubcaps.

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 7:32am
Those rims look great! Will that paint hold up on them?
Js
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

I don't see why not, it's a high quality two part paint , I've used the cheap spray paint from pep boys and not had a problem.

Love love love the way they turned out though, even though only like 10 people see them in the summertime lol... And I guess the couple thousand people online haha
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

I don't see why not, it's a high quality two part paint , I've used the cheap spray paint from pep boys and not had a problem.

Love love love the way they turned out though, even though only like 10 people see them in the summertime lol... And I guess the couple thousand people online haha

What prep was done on the chrome?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 4:03pm
That is way cool
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 10:21pm
Welded the new fenders on, love it! I want to repaint the trailer white and recover the bunks black in the summer

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 10:22pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What prep was done on the chrome?

Jim,
You must have missed the question on the prep on the chrome for the paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 9:35am
are there badgers in Minnesota?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 11:55pm
I'm going to order a set of Lenco trim tabs, my only hang-up is that the rams are black plastic and therefore, ugly. I'm thinking I could measure the OD of the ram and then make some polished stainless sleeves to go over them and then paint the brackets whitem

Another option that I see for good looking rams is the Bennet premiers, but they are like 2k each and hydraulic. So no.

My favorite option is mounting the rams upside down and inboard with 70's style jetboat linkage to the tabs outside. Obviously way more complicated but would look super cool.

I will probably order the kit and stage everything up with some stainless sleeves, if I don't like it I'll just overcomplicate it

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 8:04am
Why?
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 10:12am
Don't do it.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 11:07am
Jim, I think the tabs will do very little for your boat. My boat has much less power than yours, but a similar hull. If people are in the rear seat, it squats and takes a while to go "over the top" to get on plane. If it's just me in the front seat, very little bow rise, then the typical flat stance at speed. I think tabs will have a slight but not significant effect on planing with weight in the back, and at speed would just plant your bow more, which will scrub speed and maybe cause dangerous bow steer.

If you are just trying to get rid of porpoising, same problem, tabs will drive the bow down with bad handling results.

Just my 2 cents, not sure I know anyone that has tried them on a 16 ft. hull.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 11:37am
Maybe I didn't read far enough back, but what symptoms are you trying to cure?? Does it porpoise and if so at what speed? Can you maintain WOT and what is your top speed.. I have basically a similar hull (1978 Mustang) and these boats are not flat bottom drag boats and therefore have there own characteristics. Trim tabs may exhibit very negative results. Just my thoughts, Others with far more knowledge than me may be able to help
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 6:02pm
It has very bad porpoiseing when loaded with 3 or 4 people at half throttle.

I had a customer this summer with a 1957(?) Chris craft double cockpit 18 ft with a 383 chevy stroker. With one person in it you could get it up to 34mph before it would porpoise wildly. 2 people in the front seat it would do about 28mph GPS. The owner needed a solution so I figured I'd give the tabs a shot.

I'll be doing this to other overpowered wooden/fiberglass boats this summer for sure.

I now get a consistent 44mph with just me in the Chris Craft and 40mph with 4 people in it GPS. I will have to go over the dangers of over tabbing with them in the spring, I installed the auto retractor module to help keep that from happening.

I used the 9 wide 12 long edge mounts by lenco. If you follow the instructions they have NO EFFECT when retracted, Id wager I probably won't use them with just me in the boat

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 7:06pm

It has very bad porpoiseing when loaded with 3 or 4 people at half throttle..

You are very mistaken as to the intended purpose of your Mustang.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 9:30pm

Pete, seems like the owner of the boat decides the purpose. What's the intended purpose of a Mustang? Tournament skiing? That ship sailed 40 plus years ago.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Pete, seems like the owner of the boat decides the purpose. What's the intended purpose of a Mustang? Tournament skiing? That ship sailed 40 plus years ago.

David,
The owner of a particular craft doesn't decide the purpose rather the craft determines the purpose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 11:19pm
I would try a couple props before I went after a set of tabs. I am trying to wrap my mind around anything other than the 3 to 4 people all in the back seat causing the boat to bounce before 36 or so.. Of course an old hull can have a bit of its own personality.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 1:01am

David,
The owner of a particular craft doesn't decide the purpose rather the craft determines the purpose.

Not sure I agree.

I've seen people use inboard ski boats to fish. I've seen people use center console fishing boats for tubing. I've used a 16 ft. inboard on big lakes in conditions it was never meant to be out in.

I agree a boat appears to have a specific purpose by design, but I'd argue that owners decide what they really want to use their boats for.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 7:43am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

David,

Not sure I agree.

I've seen people use inboard ski boats to fish. I've seen people use center console fishing boats for tubing. I've used a 16 ft. inboard on big lakes in conditions it was never meant to be out in.

I agree a boat appears to have a specific purpose by design, but I'd argue that owners decide what they really want to use their boats for.

David,
I totally agree with you that boats can be muti purposed but Joe and I have the same thought.
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I am trying to wrap my mind around anything other than the 3 to 4 people all in the back seat causing the boat to bounce before 36 or so.. Of course an old hull can have a bit of its own personality.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 12:23pm

David,
I totally agree with you that boats can be muti purposed but Joe and I have the same thought.

I am trying to wrap my mind around anything other than the 3 to 4 people all in the back seat causing the boat to bounce before 36 or so.. Of course an old hull can have a bit of its own personality.

Don't bring me into this, I have had all kinds of fun on a modified mustang with a lot of people and a lot of weight doing a lot of watersports.   I don't see any problems with using a boat for anything you can get it to do. I just haven't experienced the behavior noticed by the original poster unless the boat was overloaded completely in the rear seat. I am wondering if there isn't some other issue that could be more easily cured.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 12:59pm
My '63 never porpoises. I assume it's either because of the relatively lower power (V6 at 130 hp) or me being heavy enough to hold the bow down.

Did your shaft angle get changed at any point?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 1:11pm
Just as long as it passes the visible tracking fin test, right, Joe?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Just as long as it passes the visible tracking fin test, right, Joe?

A 16ft Mustang hasn't got one of them there fancy fins, shes a slider not a carver.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2015 at 1:58pm

Don't bring me into this,

Joe,
Into what? Did I misunderstand this statement you made?

3 to 4 people all in the back seat causing the boat to bounce before 36 or so..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2526272829 32>
  Share Topic