NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:55pm
Thanks! Haven't had much time to work on it lately, but the engine cover is coming along nicely. I'll upload some pics soon
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 1:09pm
The brass speedos pickups I got off ebay. The one on the left I sanded off the casting roughness, did the other one later on.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 1:10pm
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 1:13pm
Thought you guys would like this, my $500 tow buggy. It was slid into a pole and essentially abandoned. I pounded it out and put in a new rear windshield and ive been driving it since! Its the 3.0 turbodiesel and it pulls the boat like it isn't there haha

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 1:16pm
The engine cover. I put in side brace to straighten out the cover. The sides normally bow out which takes up valuable walking space. It squared up nicely.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:13pm
Been really busy winterizing boats and sadly mines coming up soon, hopefully I'll get some pics of the last ride of the year :(
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2014 at 3:40am
All done for the season :( now the real work begins... Again

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:13am
Is $1500 to $2000 a fair price for the 2 bench seats to be upholstered? I'm doing them pretty fancy, similar to 1950's Chris craft seats, bolsters, pleating and welting
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:08am
Basic benches would be closer to the 1k-1500 mark, if yours are more complex then you're probably in range.

Did you ever keep the thing running long enough to get a GPS on it?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Basic benches would be closer to the 1k-1500 mark, if yours are more complex then you're probably in range.

Did you ever keep the thing running long enough to get a GPS on it?

Okay good. He does really nice work, glad that's a fair price.

I only got 53mph but that's because it starts porpoising bad around 50mph. But my god does it get there quick!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 8:21pm
Did you hold the throttle down? Porpoising is a good thing, for both speed and safety.

53mph would be about right for 275hp 302... I'd think you'd be a bit beyond that!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 8:41pm
put two guys in the back seat next yr and look for a small chop water day i bet it runs into the 57 -59
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 8:44pm
Tim Not to thread jack here but did you look into a turbo system or a blower for your bb chev?.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 8:53pm
No I didn't... Already at 10:1 so forced induction isn't a viable option. I think there's a bit more that can be wrung out of it with basic carb/intake/tuning, but a few basic hull mods are what I suspect would get the boat to the next level. Not that we have many complaints about the way it currently pulls or skis!

/thread jack over :)
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 11:56am
We're talking about the kind of porpoising where the boat is bunny hopping out of the water, it's really really bad
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 12:31pm
Understood. Like i said, normal and safe!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 2:40pm
I've driven a lot of inboards, this kind of violent porpoising is not normal. I can hear the prop catch air and cavitate. If you have three people in the front seat it's hard enough where you have to brace yourself against the dash, not safe what so ever.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 2:41pm
and then there is the opposite ........     
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 3:15pm
You have a lot to learn about overpowered 16' Correct Crafts.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 3:38pm
Even my 38 mph Skier will toss you violently if the bow catches a wave in a turn. If I had serious power in a boat like this I'd want the bow out of the water as much as possible!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 3:39pm
I'm certainly no expert on CCs, maybe some of you can correct me. In my limited experience as a passenger and from watching videos it seems to me that the little Mustang hull has a significant dynamic instability and performs poorly at speeds in excess of about 45MPH. I have watched the "Ski Tique goes 55.4" video many times but it is running in a significant chop, probably the perfect condition to minimize the instability. I took a video of TPs Mustang on my chain showing some proposing and it has a stock 273 Chrysler, not a powerhouse for sure, but it gets the job done for a small tow. With a hull that short and no way to adjust the thrust angle I can't imagine much improvement. Changing my position from front to back did little (I weigh 230). This is why I am not interested in adding lots of HP to my Mustang, just a little for acceleration. To me it's true beauty is it's small size for easy handling, towing, and storage, the classic style, and from what I hear it is an acceptable tow with a small soft wake. I have never skied behind one so I am relying on the word of others who have. I don't think you will ever realize the potential from the engine you have built in that hull. I do love the beautiful work you have done however. 273 powered Mustang 16
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 3:46pm
Not so sure about the small soft wake. I think yours is a 16'6" hull, am I right? My 16' has a pretty hard, peaked wake. When I skied it all the time I was fine with it, like any wake you can get through it on edge.

I guess I don't know what reaching an engine's potential really has to mean. The WOT speed is a fun number to chase, but none of us are going to be there for long. If you have a ton of power and get slammed back in your seat on acceleration, can rip a skier out of deep water, have power available at any time to make the boat really move, to me that would be the goal. Seems like Jim's pretty much there with his rig!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 3:48pm
If he let me drive it, I'd probably feel differently, but as a passenger in UT's Ski Tique, when it's WOT I'm just waiting for him to slow it down. It is a thrilling, bouncing ride.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 3:56pm
John, if by "dynamic instability" you mean that it bounces at higher speeds, you're correct. As you guessed, hull shape and steep strut angle are the main contributors to this. While some may find it disconcerting, the bouncing does not make the boat dangerous. As Peter implied, the opposite is true. Force the nose down (in an attempt to quell the bouncing or otherwise) either by shifting weight forward or adding hook, and the possibility of real issues becomes much larger. Things termed "rudder stall" "chine lock" or "ATF" (ass to front). Generally, the front of the hull grabs the water and removes rudder control... Sometimes slowly, sometimes very quickly. THAT is dangerous. Keeping them bouncing means keeping them safe. Certain boats work past the bouncing as speed increases, either due to issues with the underwater gear or excessive hull hook (or both). These boats are more likely to do something truly dangerous, and they also happen to be slower, in general, than their "bouncy" counterparts. It's part of the fun! 55mph in a 16' CC is more exciting than 65mph in a Barefoot Nautique.

Regarding the ski wake, I'd say it's exceptionally soft but definitely not small- the narrow beam and bow high attitude leaves a deep hole behind it. The 16'1" (62-70) and 16'5" (71+) are very similar. I haven't skied behind the classic/cuda.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 4:01pm
I guess I will find out about the wake next year. There are a couple on my chain and that's how it was described to me. TP has a number of good skiers in his family, himself included. The Mustanf is not their usual tow, just a toy. I trust your description of the wake as coming from an authority.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 4:13pm
I am familiar with the "hump zone" and that things sometimes smooth out after the transition. My overpowered 15' I/O had significant chine walk through 50 but it could be controlled somewhat by adjusting the trim angle. It always had a pucker factor though thinking that an unexpected wave would upset the balance. It was my belief that rudder stall on an inboard was caused by the turbulence in the slipstream caused by running behind the pressure wave of the prop shaft. Sounds like that may not be the case then. I got 64.? on my ride in your BFN. It was exciting but not scary, but then you were driving and sometimes fools like me don't know when to be scared.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I've driven a lot of inboards,

Evidently not enough!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 5:22pm

Sorry to interrupt, but this 23+ square yards of vinyl popped up on craigslist and it thought this would be of interest for the bench seats. $75.00 seems cheap.

Nautique Vinyl

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 8:32pm
the best water for mine was definitely water that had 2 to 4 inch consistent chop. i dropped my boat off today to a friend who is repowering it for me . there was a top eliminator boat. a bb chev v drive pickle fork boat, a 16 ft berkely jet with a bb chev sanger?    and an apache ? kevlar hulled boat with twin 700 hp bb chevs ...now there is some pucker factor..
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 9:32pm
That's a real good price on that vinyl.Have to be at a couple USPS facilities tomorrow in Rochester may just have to contact him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 32>
  Share Topic