NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 32>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Pete i was reading that thread , not a lot said about those lvls what would your take be on those , pros and cons,

Peter,
I believe I was the one way back who recommended the LVL as an alternate if Doug Fir wasn't available. It's an "engineered" product so it's very consistent in strength. All the grain runs the length of the LVL and with the addition of the glue, makes it stronger that a solid. You can look at the charts and see an LVL will carry more load than a solid. It however must be sealed with a decent CPES treatment and of course an epoxy layup. Lagging engine mounts to it is not an issue since the grain is running the proper direction but, after drilling the pilot holes for the lags, they must be CPES'd and then sealed with 5200.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If you spend some time using the site's search feature, you will find that using composite decking is really a bad idea. Using it has been dicussed as well as being tested. The bottom line is the bond is bad. Even using epoxy, the basic component is recycled PE from old milk bottles. PE is what's used for glue containers since the glues do not stick.

"Structural properties"? look into the details - They recommend never going beyond 16" centers for the joists!

I also feel if you looked at the flex modulus specs between it and Doug Fir, you would be in shock!!!

You mentioned "customers"? Are you in the boat restoration biz?

I restore boats, just not nice ones lol. Mostly 1980's rot boxes that never get covered. Many of our customers would rather have their floors replaced for 2 to 4k then buy a newer 5k boat. I mean, I guess I understand the logic of saving a few bucks. I'm in a very... odd market segment to say the least.

Soaking? The only hull that needs soaking is a single plank on batten. Please, fill me in on your trade.

We dont do any wood work (because ive never been taught :( ) but we are known for our work with the motors. We dont differentiate when hanging a wooden boat, they always get hung until we can come back and check on them in a week or so. When we drop 90% of the wooden boats the customer hasnt even come up for the summer yet! Its really just our way of making sure no leaks have devolved and that they dont sink while nobody is around. Heres a pic of one of my favorite chrises we take care of, I dont know what kind of bottom she has but she takes on water for a day or two, stops leaking fairly quickly. She drives like a schoolbus in outer space and she doesnt have the ability to plane off, but a cool craft none the less.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 3:57pm
I just got the vin off the hull from todd, thanks todd!

gt21t522981

Mean anything to you guys?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 4:00pm
Jim,
Thanks for filling us in. It sounds like you work for a diversified marina with the exception of no woodworking. That Chris looks like it's in pretty decent shape cosmetically but it needs bottom work. A double planked bottom is water tight and never needs soaking. However, they were all designed to have the outer planking removed every 10 years or so and have the canvas/bedding compound between the inner and outer planking changed. It's even in the Chris manuals!! Do your customer a favor and recommend bottom work. The "latest and greatest" fix for a double plank is using 5200 between the inner and outer planks. It never needs replacing! He sure has taken care of the waterline and above - why not the bottom? Bad advice about having to soak the hull???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 4:15pm
Heres a couple pics of the typical kind of boat I would fix up. Marine ply for the stringers and deck with fibre matt for reinforcement. Cant remember the brand of resin we use, something through morgan

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 4:21pm
wow it shocks me people will invest 2-3K in a boat like that!?!?! I guess it could have sentimental value???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Heres a couple pics of the typical kind of boat I would fix up. This dingy was for a doctors young son. Marine ply for the stringers

Wow! yes, I agree that it's hard to imagine someone putting in major man hours on an old hull like that!

Marine ply? Why? How long are you getting the sheets? If not long enough for the length needed, what are you doing for the butt joint?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 5:56pm
It must be less expensive to repair than buy another boat.

Pete, I know you're correct about the no need to swell up the bottom, but it seems back when wood boats were still in regular use, it was pretty common to see marinas soaking them every spring. I guess because very few people replaced the bottoms?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It must be less expensive to repair than buy another boat.

Pete, I know you're correct about the no need to swell up the bottom, but it seems back when wood boats were still in regular use, it was pretty common to see marinas soaking them every spring. I guess because very few people replaced the bottoms?

Bruce,
The quick answer is yes! However, replacing just the canvas and bedding compound wasn't that big of a deal. You did not need to flip the hull since if done regularly all that was needed was to pull the outer layer of planking and the reuse it. Sometimes the screws needed to be up sized. It's how the silicon bronze screw guys came up with number 7 and 9 sizes!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 7:22pm

Wow! yes, I agree that it's hard to imagine someone putting in major man hours on an old hull like that!

Marine ply? Why? How long are you getting the sheets? If not long enough for the length needed, what are you doing for the butt joint?

I'm honestly not sure why the marine ply, its what my boss has always ordered so thats what I use, didnt even know of any superior alternatives?

We buy 4x8 sheets, I havent found a boat yet that was assembled with any other size. That makes it very easy to copy the old design. I'll only change the old design if it was a defect that caused rot. 4x8 sheets are also "fairly easy" to wield.

As for that joint I think it was 1/4 aluminum lap with grade 5 anodized self tapping torx. (I love those torx!) Usually if I had to do a joint like that I would use 3/4 ply lap but I dont think I had the space there.

As far as that boat goes, we didnt even give the guy an estimate!! He said "make it look nice, I want grey carpet and red seats." So thats exactly what we did.

It had no sentimental value, we sold that boat to him for about 1500 the year before. Shortly after we gave it back to him we had a storm and it broke free and crashed into his 35x mastercraft. Then I did some gelcoat work hahaha!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 7:58pm
Heres another one. This guy wanted it done in 4 days because he only visits his ADK camp for a week in the summer! That was a very tight time contraint. I had no choice but to reuse the carpet and it was a pain getting the anchor well port lined right up but it turned out nice. He just needed a quick patch job so his seats would stop ripping away from the floor. By the time we delivered it the anchor well was still wet. I told him to not put anything in there for a couple days, he said he didnt care and was more than happy to have his boat on time. Nice boat, wish I had more time for detail but he just needed it asap.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 12:24am
Holy crap there is a lot of choices for stringers!! I had no idea it was so debated. Can somebody just tell me the best choice LOL

Cost isnt a factor. I only want to do this once, ever. I guess I dont want the stringers to weigh 100 pounds each either but I'm really willing to go the distance.

I keep seeing doug fir, now correct me if i'm mistaken but isnt that what they build interiors walls out of? That really surprises me, the treated version isnt a better option?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 7:25am

I keep seeing doug fir, now correct me if i'm mistaken but isnt that what they build interiors walls out of? That really surprises me, the treated version isnt a better option?

Yes, Doug Fir is a common wood used for contruction but typically for high strength components like joists and headers.

You NEVER want to use treated wood with any kind of resin glass layup. The resin and treated do not like each other so the resin will not bond. It may seem fine when first done but it will come off. Also, treated typically is of unknown moisture content.

With the CPES and epoxy, the Doug Fir is a basic and sound choice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 10:59am

Cost isnt a factor. I only want to do this once, ever. I guess I dont want the stringers to weigh 100 pounds each either but I'm really willing to go the distance.

If cost and schedule are secondary concerns, with strength and longevity being more important, that makes for a strong argument for a composite like Coosa or Airex PXC. An added bonus is that they weigh about 2/3 as much as wood.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 11:13am
Hey Jim. What was the white I/O boat with grey stripe, a Checkmate?

You need to figure all this stringer stuff out so when I get a project boat I can send it to you to get re-strung! Good luck, you've obviously got the skills and experience to do this a lot easier than most of us (or me anyway).
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 11:56am
Properly glassed Douglas Fur will last another 40 or more years. Composite will last for ever, but I will likely only make it another 40 years ( 47 +40 = 87). Douglas will go into my boat.

Many of the guys have gone with a used or made a new aluminium cradle to mount the engine on. Correct Craft started with those in 1980. I would try to expore the possiblity of putting one in.

FYI,

Donald
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 12:14pm
Your boat is a great first project boat. You can rebuild it without going overboard on the method and/or the parts. If you get into fixing up Correct Crafts, you'll find that there are other boats you'll want that will justify the "costy isn't a factor" approach.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 12:51pm
If you are going for the best of the best there is no doubt that it is the coosa/airex option. It takes a bit more time to laminate together some stringers but the difference in cost between that and fir/plywood is minimal. Should you ever sell the boat a boat with coosa stringers is considerably more desireable. Yes the fir/plywood can be done well.. but if you are buying and not doing then you would have no idea if it was done well. Whereas buying the coosa boat the quality of the job has much less effect on the longevity. I personally think that the coosa is enough easier to shape than wood that it has real benefits in installation time for certain methods of reconstruction.

You can go fully foam cored but that is more expensive and time consuming than the coosa/airex.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 3:49pm
Joe,

Where did you buy your coosa board? Looks like about 430 for one 2" board and if it has to be delivered thats prob a 100+ shipping charge.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Hey Jim. What was the white I/O boat with grey stripe, a Checkmate?

You need to figure all this stringer stuff out so when I get a project boat I can send it to you to get re-strung! Good luck, you've obviously got the skills and experience to do this a lot easier than most of us (or me anyway).

Yeah it was a checkmate. I think it had a 250 merc on the back, I had such a short time frame I didnt even get to put it in the water to try her out :(

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I'm really not a pro boat builder by any means though haha. I hope to learn plenty of sweet new methods from you guys, I've already went through a majority of the build threads posted and wow, wish I had been given the time to give the attention to detail you guys have!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 4:13pm
I would get set up with an account with Composites One if youre going to get serious about using composites. I believe the RI store is closest to me. Not sure where abouts in the Adirondacks you are.

You wont want to use 2" thick coosa. Your main stringers will be longer than 8', so you'll need to piece them together. By making them multiple layers of thinner material (Joe and I each used 3 layers of 1/2" on the mains) you can stagger the joints and maintain more strength over the entire length. You also get the added strength of the glass used to bond the layers together. Expect to pay in the $200-250 range per sheet, if you go that route.

On a small 16' boat like a Mustang, I bet you could get both sets of stringers and the front floor section out of 2 sheets. If you go with a foamed (glass directly over foam) build, then you can probably rebuild that boat with composites for little more than it would cost to do a wood based build. A foamless composite-floored build would likely add at least 1 more sheet (maybe 2). The stuff is really nice to work with, so the only real downsides are 1)the extra cost of the material 2)the extra time involved with laminating your stringers together and 3)having to be really efficient with your use of material (see #1) so you dont waste much.

For reference, here is our coosa BFN build.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 4:15pm

Joe,

Where did you buy your coosa board? Looks like about 430 for one 2" board and if it has to be delivered thats prob a 100+ shipping charge.

Well I didnt buy any 2" thick boards, besides the waste problem it wouldnt be long enough and you would have to use a big butt joint. I made my 1.5" stringers out of half inch thick sheets cut to strips and glued together, staggering the joints. Somewhere buried in ,my rambling thread the process is laid out, it has since been repeated a few times by others as well and is pretty well proven out.   On a bigger boat I used .75" thick for the secondaries but on a mustang the whole thing could be accomplished with 1/2". I havent done a layout but I am pretty sure 3 4x8x1/2 sheets would do the whole thing including the floor (tim will correct me if I am way off base).   And if $550 (composites one is about 180 per sheet of airex 24lb) is all that was standing between me and a wood free boat... well I know what I would be doing. Shipping can be an issue of course, the nearest composites one to you is in Rhode Island. I maybe heading out there towards the end of the month for my spring coosa fix though.. play your cards right and I could push some off the back of the truck somewhere around albany?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 4:16pm
Dammit tim!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 4:26pm
LOL.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 4:48pm
Tim, Joe looking through your coosa builds, you guys are freaking nuts!! Nice work!!
I see what you guys mean about the layering of coosa, thanks for explaining.
I was reading through some threads on this forum and others and it seems that the people that had trouble with pressure treated didnt use kiln dried pressure treated, the none kiln dried has about 1/3 of its weight water!
I think the coosa looks like a great product but the more I read, a wood stringer setup really does last 30-40 years when properly taken care of. My boat will be about 100 years old by the time it starts to rot again! The original fiberglass will poof to dust before then lol!

Again, you guys do beautiful work!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 5:03pm

I was reading through some threads on this forum and others and it seems that the people that had trouble with pressure treated didnt use kiln dried pressure treated, the none kiln dried has about 1/3 of its weight water!

Kiln dried or not, it shouldn't be used since the moisture isn't the biggest problem. As mentioned, the resin and the chemicals in treated do not like each other. The bond fails.

If you have been using treated or not, I sure hope you use a moisture meter. Kiln drying will only take the content down to about 13% and that's too high. What is the moisture content of the wood you have been using?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 5:10pm
Again, if your budget is really tight (and Ive been there!) then a wood based build certainly has its merits. Against the common "avoid pressure treated lumber" mantra here, I know of someone who has used it with good success in the past. Personally, I have no experience with it (at least in terms of boat building).

Then again, if you can be real efficient with your cuts, then a few hundred bucks spent on better material may be worth considering. Like Joe, I would have a really easy time justifying a $500 premium for coosa/airex on a boat I planned to keep. Especially if you could coerce the man into dropping a few sheets off for you!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 7:51pm

If you have been using treated or not, I sure hope you use a moisture meter. Kiln drying will only take the content down to about 13% and that's too high. What is the moisture content of the wood you have been using?

I have no idea, I wasn't aware there was a range. A lot of my guidance has been second hand from my boss. Thats good, I'll know from here on out whats acceptable. What is an acceptable range any how?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 8:18pm

I have no idea, I wasn't aware there was a range. A lot of my guidance has been second hand from my boss. Thats good, I'll know from here on out whats acceptable. What is an acceptable range any how?

Jim,
I suggest a % below 10. 8 is a good number. The last % points are the ones that take time. Good lumber should be sticker'd if air dried for at least 2 years. It depends on what part of the country you are in! A moisture meter is key. Sorry, but if you do not use one, I consider the work "half as**".

Tim,
I do have a friend up north that way back when he first started stringer jobs, he thought treated would be a great idea. He did several and they all failed after one season (glass bond). Eric as well has had problems. If the wood is dry and you CPES it, they is no reason to go treated. I also feel that some shops will use treated as a shortcut. No CPES and they give their customers a "line of BS"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2012 at 8:54pm
So with douglas fir you give it the cpes treatment before you glass it?

EDIT: I dont see anything about CPES being bondable to fiberglass epoxy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 32>
  Share Topic