NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I hope your control works out for you Jim. I had nothing but trouble with mine,if you remember mine is an SS that originally had the console mounted controls and at some time been converted to a Morse single lever. The problem you might run into now is since you shortned the lever your carb will not fully open. What you might have to do is use the original length lever but turn it 180 on the lever mount,then run the cable from the front over the top of the engine and have it push the carb open rather than have the cable under the engine and coming over to pull the carb open. Not sure this will work either can't remember if the shift lever will be in the way. Anyway after dealing with this for a long time and having another member commenting on how hard the lever worked I started the project to find the original equiptment. Now it works so much nicer,settings stay where you want and it works so much smoother.

I cycled the control box before in the stock mount hole and after in the new hole, the throw was more than enough in the stock location and I still have plenty of adjustment available in the new mounting spot. Carb maxes close and WOT. The only difference is the lever goes down a few degrees more. Technically, I gained sensitivity in the throttle and it should let me adjust speed even better now.

The throttle lever has to swing about 270 degrees so no flipping ect would have been a possibility.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 3:05pm
Bored, didnt feel like sanding so I cut out the floor boards so its easier to walk around.

Playing pretend. What a tiny ass boat!!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 3:16pm
Tiny is half the charm, in boats anyway!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Tiny is half the charm, in boats anyway!

"I'm not tiny, I'm compact!"

I love it, its essentially a motor with a little bit of fiberglass around it. If it was any smaller I'd probably make put a saddle on the doghouse and steer the thing with reins.

Anywho I'll probably paint the floors today and build up the glass on the dash, maybe fix the control box housing.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 3:55pm
How about concentrated!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 6:24pm
I like the functionality of the tow ring and finger on the transom. It is very practical. I have considered doing the same thing so I can take a spin skiing with rear seat passengers and all return intact. I will have to give that some careful thought. I have drillaphobia.
BTW, do you have the vent grille for that sweet motor box? I have a spare or two laying around that I really have no use for.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I like the functionality of the tow ring and finger on the transom. It is very practical. I have considered doing the same thing so I can take a spin skiing with rear seat passengers and all return intact. I will have to give that some careful thought. I have drillaphobia.
BTW, do you have the vent grille for that sweet motor box? I have a spare or two laying around that I really have no use for.

Thanks, the tow ring actually serves two purposes, one for towing and the other is that it actually threads through to the rear eye bracket! Bracket is from a late 50's century, i think i covered it in the thread somewhere, solid bronze, much better than the steel that was originally grafted in.

I appreciate the offer on the vent piece, but I have an extra as well!

However...

I was contemplating putting two headlights on the thing by using two of these vents on either side of the breakwater, then recesssing a box on either side and putting in some strong leds. So they would look like two little vents in the day, but be bright docking lights at night.

But I have to finish this thing at some point.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

two of these vents on either side of the breakwater

??? Please explain the "breakwater"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 12:41am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

two of these vents on either side of the breakwater

??? Please explain the "breakwater"

Cutwater, forgot what it was called, whatever front of the boat.

Didnt do much today, pretty lazy and terrible overcast. Finished painting the floors with bilgecoat. Its amazing how much the stuff soaks into the wood, took 3 coats until it was somewhat even
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 12:29am
Got a little more done, rained quite a bit today.

Floor all painted and loosly fitted. This should make working on the inside so much more comfortable, its the little things in life.

Also figured out how to build up the throttle area without taking a billion sheet to do it. Cut a sliver of wood, wrapped it in glass for a backer then a thin 6oz on the front to make a little bowl. Then packed the bowl with pulled apart stand matt soaked in epoxy. Once its cured ill just burn off the seaped out section and put 2-3 6oz matt coats over it.

Hope to get some sanding done tomorrow, then I have to start packing up my crap for camp for the summer.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 12:54am
Before you go any further take a look at how I did mine. Get in there
and grind a taper on that cut out edge. It will help the bond,the
'glass fibers will lay out over the taper instead of butting up to
the edge.

the starting point much like yours-

Here you can see the darker outline taper under the glass layer

Here it is with the added glass layers to get to correct thickness
and sanded. Now just the gel coat needs to be added

And now with the gel sprayed,sanded and buffed

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 1:02am
I had a thick piece of biax,added the resin to it and let it harden. Then I put cardboard behind the hole and traced from the outside. Used the cardboard tracing to cut the filler plug from the hardned biax. Then I used mat and kept building it up,a little larger each time until I had the thickness needed. I used polyester for this part of the repair to compatable with the polyester gelcoat. When done I sanded the back side of the repair and used epoxy and mat to cover the whole repair to give it even more strength. Hope this helps-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 1:53am
Yep, planning to add a taper to countersink the matt. The piece of wood on the other side should also be adding a lot of strength.

Only have to raise up the bottom an inch or so, not going to bother closing it off just to cut it out again.

Appreciate the input Gary
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 2:19pm
Hows it hanging fellas
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 2:30pm
How's the boat looking?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 2:33pm
Pretty good, just water tested it yesterday . Its going to take a while to assemble the pics together, I had a super busy summer. Boat still has a long way to go (electronics, interior) but it moves under its own power!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 11:50pm
So it turns out one of the pistons is blown, 50psi in one 100 psi in the others. Kinda sucks because it was the whole reason I bought the boat. Whatever, show goes on. I'll tear it down, have the shortblock redone and get the gt40p heads and that cams research cam everybody likes.

Pics uploading now.

Im currently going to school 3 days a week and working the other 4 so progress will be slow from here on.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:20am

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:22am

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:25am

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:28am

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:32am
I think that about covers it.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:41am
You're not done until you post a photo of it in the water with you smiling at the helm.
Looks good!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:58am
Oh god im not going to be done for a while! Next summer... definitely next summer.

I have more pics still sorting them out
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 3:06pm
Nice job on the dash repair.   But, I think it would look more Custom-er with-out the aluminum gauge panel.   
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 3:57pm
I think the Dr. has something there. It would look really clean without the panel, kinda like the SS gauges.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 9:47pm
Meh, I saw it was off a 64 stang so I went with it, it also pull some more black onto the dash to go along with the control and helm. It looks really nice with the gauges, I lost a memory card that had a lot of pics ill have to take some more
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 10:53pm
Nice work Jim, Though a bit off the original trail it will be striking when done. Keep the photos coming.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Nice work Jim, Though a bit off the original trail it will be striking when done. Keep the photos coming.

Thanks! I Only have two pics left at the moment, still hope to find my missing memory card.

crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 11:21pm
That's looks really good in the water.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 32>
  Share Topic