NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 32>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I think the one piece exhaust tips started later than '70. I haven't seen any with packing. They seem to be a compression fit with a bead of sealant. I'm interested to see how you install yours, John. The one piece like Hussler is using seem like a much better solution, but aren't right if your looking for originality.

Hussler, what do you call that tool you removed the exhaust pipes with?

Yea Riley, Hustler and I are going different routes. I am going for totally original and correct. I love his restomod project too. Either way it's great to see any of these old boats back on the water.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Yea Riley, Hustler and I are going different routes. I am going for totally original and correct. I love his restomod project too. Either way it's great to see any of these old boats back on the water.

*Hussler
Original and correct are about as different as precision and accuracy. A "correct" boat would have the most well built features on it, for the most part an original "Correct" Craft is marginally correct by today's standards.

Today I'm going to buy the right size hole saw for the exhaust and make a plug so I can drill it straight.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 5:39pm
Just got this in the mail. Defiantly glad I bought this, how cool! Even has a little flag holder.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 7:35pm
John,
Keep up the great correct work you are doing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 7:43pm
Heres the light I got, poor boat they got it off must have been sawzalled apart LOL

Dissesambled, cleaned. Still have to go get matching hardware.

BTW bow light for 1965 mustang is nautalloy CR627 by Tom Faul Design.

I wrote that in Google search format for future Googlers.

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 8:15pm
Lookin' Good !
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Refinished the wheel with a blend of red sedona and red mahogany.

Do you remember the ratio?

Looks like you do nice work.    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 9:43pm
you can put one hole saw " of the hole size you have " attach it to the arbor inside of the hole saw size you want then use the smaller one to guide the larger one
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 12:33am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Thanks!
25% sedona, 75% mahogany. The mahogany was too brown and the sedona was too red. Pics don't do it justice. Put a coat of gloss varnish on tonight.
Looks like a $600 wheel now.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 12:45am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

you can put one hole saw " of the hole size you have " attach it to the arbor inside of the hole saw size you want then use the smaller one to guide the larger one

Unfortunatly my arbor doesnt have enough threads to do that and there is a turndown after the threads so I cant tap anymore.

Ironically, talking about threads and turndowns, here is the rod I turned down and tapped for the eyelet.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Thanks!
25% sedona, 75% mahogany.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 1:58am
Another coat of varnish.

Splashed stain on the dash just so it wont be distractingly bad for the summer. None of that is being saved anyways.

The speedo. Any takers?

Did some sanding and rubbing compound. Still needs work. The water actually beads now though lol!

Also got my LEDs in the mail. Super excited to see them hung up in the boat this summer!

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 2:27am
Darn it, the speedo is cracked just like the one I have. They must crack out pretty easily by tightening the screw. I'll just keep my cracked speedo thanks anyway.
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I think the one piece exhaust tips started later than '70. I haven't seen any with packing. They seem to be a compression fit with a bead of sealant. I'm interested to see how you install yours, John. The one piece like Hussler is using seem like a much better solution, but aren't right if your looking for originality.

Yep, I think '73 is the first year Ive seen some of the one-piece tips installed on CC's. All of my '71-72 Skiers had the 2-piece... but Keegan's '73 is different.

The only one we've taken apart is Sage's '68/69, and I do not believe it had any packing either.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 2:28pm
Finished varnishing the wheel, 6 coats. Man she looks so much better than when I pulled her out of the box.

Also made a new rear eye pole. Decided I'm going to do tandem braces so I needed the whold thing to be threaded. 3/4 fine thread for the eye, 3/4-10 for the nuts. It was like trying to prop start a plane for an hour.

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 4:31pm
Lookin' Good !!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 1:41am
My strut is bent and cracked, how do I go about measuring and ordering another one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 9:11am
How bad is the crack? How bad is the bend? Prep the crack and TIG it then get the strut in the press to straighten.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 2:22pm
It has a crack along the bearing sleeve end to end, and a crack in the middle of the strut were it broke in too and was rewelded, it is still bent.

I just want another, do you know how to measure them?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 3:33pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 11:26pm
Good stuff, got all my measurements down.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 11:31pm
Got the box reinstalled and made a key out of a screw. These old types used to take pins like an old prop would, so I shape the top of the screw like a key and dropped it in.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 11:36pm
Also got my new-to-me intake manifold.

Exhaust and bowlight done.

And cleaned up some engine wiring. I love doing wiring, very therapeutic.

Seriously, why do people do stuff like this? Clipped and redone.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 8:14pm
Been very busy working, but Ive gotten a lot done on the CC. I will bring in my laptop to work tomorrow and upload some pics. So far the engine has been pulled, stringers cut out, hull sanded, new stringers cut, cpes'd, each got a wrap in 6oz (ended up going with 60" wide west glass I think 30 yards), fileted stringers into boat. Amazing how stiff everything is without any reinforcing glass on the filets. Hoping to get each wrapped again tonight, then I can start making the bulkheads. Not going with sister stringers, doug fir bulkheads every 1.25ft.

Also, got my cover made by the local guys. Its nice that the rubrail juts out. I had them do the snaps on the underside so you cant see them with the cover off.

P.s.s. I also converted the trailer from SUA to SOA, worked great!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 2:19am
So the summer didnt go as expected, spent a lot of time working, not a lot of time fixing but hopefully you guys will like my progress, i have about 250 pics uploading to photobucket.

In the meantime, whats the favorite gelcoat brand?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 3:14am
Boat being disassembled, disgusting. Everything was junk, nothing built right. Entire sections of wood completely exposed from the factory.

Dumbass ski pole mount.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 3:18am
Got her up to camp and started cutting.

Sister stringers gone, never to go back in :D

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 3:23am
All gone.

Huge sections where the stringers werent even glued.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 3:38am
Wow, you really had to deal with some rot! My primaries were not glassed in the same areas where yours are missing glass under the ribs.
It looks like the boat is coming along well. Did I miss a link to your photo hosting site? I would enjoy seeing all the photos.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 3:52am
Templeting the main stringers. Only one resembled a stringer so I just mirrored it for the other side.

6oz. cloth roll

Did one layer on the sawhorses and the rest in the boat.

Screwed in braces to keep everything straight.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 32>
  Share Topic