Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4546474849 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 7:28am
John,
I wouldn't give up on the floor pan just yet. It was such a classic addition to the Mustang. It can be re gelled fixing the worn area and the trim ring could be replaced with a larger one to cover up the hole.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 8:20am
Agreed
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 12:16pm
Fix it John. I think I have a 12 x 12 piece of Gibco Flex mold somewhere that matches our pattern. Too cold to have someone go look for it now but will check if/as it gets better.
Here is the how to on how the repair works.
I don't have all the pictures with me but here are two one before and one during. Some clean up and sanding on the edge finished the job. As always the color match was the hardest of the whole project. If you can find someone to do the color match or spend some time and get the match yourself, the skills your learning now on the stringers will be more than a match for the floor.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 12:18pm
Wait, are you guys saying fiberglass can be repaired?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 1:42pm
Only if that VR 1 crap hasn’t been used on it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Nah you were right. Incorrect and looks like crap.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 2:16pm
John when you get ready just lay a couple of boards across some horses and put the pan up. Makes it real easy to work on. I even buffed mine with the 3m foam pads and compounds

I got my pan from Steve too- had to cut it because Interceptor mounts are different from HM. So don't give up on it yet there's a lot you can do with it.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 2:53pm
I love the pan too, looks very nice, but I don't have the skills you do Gary. Mine comes out really nice with the 3M system I used on the boat, but it won't buff out the damage.
I post these photos looking for criticism and suggestions. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. This doesn't apply to Pete, he's like the Honey Badger..
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 3:44pm
I’d go with a slightly larger trim ring at the pylon and maybe tackle a few of the spots using Gary’s method if you’re going for a show quality look. The wear at the motorbox is common and invisible when it’s closed, that wouldn’t be a concern. A little patina on that pan wouldn’t discourage me from using it one bit. Still way cool... and functional.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 4:03pm
John,
If you can do a Coosa stringer job, you can do a minor fiberglass repair. You are underestimating yourself!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 4:06pm
+1, should be able to find a 50’s Buick hubcap for a trim ring somewhere around Villa Park I’ll even bet Pete has a great aunt who only drives it to church on Sundays
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
If you can do a Coosa stringer job, you can do a minor fiberglass repair. You are underestimating yourself!

Pete, with all due respect for your opinion, it would be difficult to underestimate my incompetence.
Structural repairs-framer
Cosmetic repairs-cabinetmaker

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 4:20pm
Gary,
John has a fabricator he has been working with. A band saw, some 1/4" aluminum, a hole saw and a drill press is all it would take.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Pete, with all due respect for your opinion, it would be difficult to underestimate my incompetence.
Structural repairs-framer
Cosmetic repairs-cabinetmaker

Except fiberglass is easier than wood, you screw up wood finish work and its all over - fiberplastic you just grind it off and go at it again.   You have a lot to work with on that floor pan if you get the mold from Gary and watch a you tube video or two you will be dangerous -

Going vinyl directly over the coosa floor is probably doable but it would have to be flatter than typical for it to look ok,
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 5:09pm
I really like the pan too. I do work with a very good fabricator who could make a new ring, but it would have to be yuge to cover the holes the PO drilled for the support. The original covers the hack job around the hole. The pan is in good condition and cleans up really nicely other than this issue.
I talked to Steve Workman with the beautiful SN when I bought a spare Mustang windshield from him a few weeks back. He gave me the name of the fiberglass shop that touched up a few spots on his SN. Maybe I'll send them a photo and see if they can fix it.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 6:09pm
I would recommend patching the holes with glass from the back now... the gel/texture can be done after the fact once installed if you so choose.

Don’t let the pan cosmetics slow you down now that you’ve finally got some momentum!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 8:04pm
Or use Gary's other trick method of plugging the hole with a polished carriage bolt.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 8:08pm
Also a valid option (though the pan is only ~1/16” thick).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 8:09pm
Yea those and a Buick hub cap
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Or use Gary's other trick method of plugging the hole with a polished carriage bolt.

Or a truss head:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2019 at 6:46pm
I took advantage of the balmy winter Chicago day and shaped the primary stringers outside to keep the garage clean. The temps briefly broke into double digits, That's above zero this time.
Also have a question. I am using a mixer attachment in my drill to mix the epoxy with the Cabosil/milled fibers. I am trying not to whip it and introduce air bubbles to the mixture. Are air bubbles a real concern? I have never mixed epoxy to this thick a mixture before.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 7:56pm
My old cutlass bearing fought the good fight.
I'm ordering some stuff from Skidim and want to confirm the packing size. I did a search and it's inconclusive and the Skidim site only adds to my confusion. Looks like 1/4 for the shaft packing but I'm not sure about the rudder. 1/4 maybe? 3/8? Anyone?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 8:08pm
You have the glands sitting on the bench next to a pair of calipers and you’re asking the Internet what size packing they take? Lol. Probably 3/16” but if I were you I’d measure.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 8:42pm
I ordered an ARE double taper prop shaft from Skidim. The shaft on both of my H/M Mustangs was 39" tip to tip so I ordered a 39". Skidim contacted me to tell me a 70 Mustang uses a 40" prop shaft. I talked to them for a while on the phone and they seemed pretty certain. Does anyone know the correct length offhand? Seems unlikely both of my Mustangs had the wrong length shaft that just happened to be 39" How critical is this measurement?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 9:11pm
John,
There's a shaft/strut/rudder chart floating around the site someplace but I'm currently having internet problems so I can't find it. Be patient as I know someone will dig it up. I have a feeling the 40" is correct but, that may be with more than a desirable distance (too much) between the prop hub and strut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 9:12pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 9:16pm
Tim always has said less overhang after the strut is best for bow lift. These things want to run bow down. Why not take your strut,shaft and prop and assemble them on the bench and measure how much clearance is between the strut and prop. Should be able to see where the cutlass was running on the shaft and go from there
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 9:30pm
Ordering a custom length shaft before you know how long it’s supposed to be seems like a fools errand. I’ve seen enough inconsistencies and sloppy fitting shafts from the factory that I wouldn’t be basing my length on a 60’s print out OR the original shaft- unless you were certain it was set up properly and that the engine will be going back in the exact same place.

Minimizing strut to prop clearance should yield the best performance and put the least amount of stress on the shaft (overhung load). I would aim for 1/4-3/8”, just enough to get a puller on.

The only way to get any sort of precision on the length is to confirm the engine position first, and measure the distance from the trans output flange to the aft of the strut body.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 10:10pm
Mine is .3" judging by the witness marks orn the old shaft. Thank you for the info. I will hold off until I get the engine in position and measure. I didn't know it was critical.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2019 at 11:31pm
Tim has a valid point John. Your current setup is closer than mine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4546474849 54>
  Share Topic