Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3738394041 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I was thinking of using screws more to hold it in position while the thickened epoxy sets up. I'm sure the bond is much stronger than the screws. Maybe just putting some weight on it while it sets up, or remove them and fill the holes with epoxy and one coat of cloth on the whole thing?

John,
If my memory is correct, it was Tim who posted some pictures using the weight method while the epoxy kicks. I think it was in his thread on the composite stringers. BTW, the weights used were 12 packs! Why drill, screw, remove the screws and then fill? Regarding the screws you must use say for seat frames, drill CPES and then 4200 when installing the screws.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 9:31am
what is the sole?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 9:46am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

what is the sole?

Most normal people would just call it the floor instead of the sole
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 10:00am
The floor system in that boat is in great condition. I think you're making a lot of extra work for yourself trying to reinvent the wheel. . I'd put it back together the same way as it came apart, except I would use 5/8" plywood which is plenty strong for a foamless boat. Glad you decided not to tear the stringers out which was discussed 10 or 20 pages ago.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 10:11am

what is the sole?

Peter,
Just so you can brush up on your nautical terms. I remember the last person I ran into that called his boats sole a floor, also had a tube strapped down on his aft deck!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I would use 5/8" plywood which is plenty strong for a foamless boat.   

I agree plus "marine" rated ply is not needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 10:17am

what is the sole?

It's what we call flounder when we serve it up.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:08am
I planned on using 3/4 ply for two reasons, The cross members or ribs are 1X and when removed will leave 3/4" notches in the stringers so I may as well take the stringers down to that height so it bonds the entire length of the stringer, and I think the 3/4 will hold the screws for the seat well. I like marine plywood because it is better quality and has no voids. It is available off the shelf about 2 miles from my house at Owl Hardwoods. I go there now and then just to admire the wood.. owl hardwoods
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 11:20am

what is the sole?

It's what we call flounder when we serve it up.

It's also what you call someone who has 38 pages about an old Mustang and it still isn't finished.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 12:21pm

It is available off the shelf about 2 miles from my house at Owl Hardwoods. I go there now and then just to admire the wood.. owl hardwoods

John,
Moving up here, I sure miss Owl!! BTW, their Des Plaines location is their home and has a better selection just in case Lombard doesn't have what you are looking for.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It is available off the shelf about 2 miles from my house at Owl Hardwoods. I go there now and then just to admire the wood.. owl hardwoods

John,
Moving up here, I sure miss Owl!! BTW, their Des Plaines location is their home and has a better selection just in case Lombard doesn't have what you are looking for.

Looks like a foggy morning in the northwoods. I hope you're staying warm and your project list is growing shorter.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 12:47pm

The floor system in that boat is in great condition. I think you're making a lot of extra work for yourself trying to reinvent the wheel. . I'd put it back together the same way as it came apart, except I would use 5/8" plywood which is plenty strong for a foamless boat. Glad you decided not to tear the stringers out which was discussed 10 or 20 pages ago.

John can't put the boat back together just like it was and go foamless at the same time. I appreciate the challenge in keeping the floor height the same when replacing <1/8" fiberglass skin with 3/4" plywood. Without doing something to compensate, that would be a pretty big change.

5/8" would probably be fine but not much harm in going 3/4" especially up front. The cost for marine ply here is less than a 50% premium so the cost is pretty inconsequential for a small job like this.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 12:58pm

John can't put the boat back together just like it was and go foamless at the same time. I appreciate the challenge in keeping the floor height the same when replacing <1/8" fiberglass skin with 3/4" plywood. Without doing something to compensate, that would be a pretty big change..[/QUOTE]

Tim, is that floor system any different than the pre floor pan Mustangs?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 1:32pm
I am not sure exactly what you're asking Bruce but there is no wood in most of the floor of the glass pan boats. The pan needs some sort of support from below, it's thin and non structural.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 1:40pm
I was just wondering if they changed the floor system when they went from the earlier Mustangs to the newer ones with the fiberglass floor system. Prior to the fiberglass floor pans, they used 3/8" plywood over the foam and stringer system. The floor system looks the same to me..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 1:46pm
If you include the overlay floor in the "floor system" then yes it is obviously different. The 3/8" topper floor in the pre-67 boats has a lot more strength/rigidity than the pan used 67-70. The latter can't be used without underlying support.

Is that what you're asking?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 1:59pm
I'm asking if the floor system, (the wood framing that is glassed into the boat) changed when they came up with the fiberglass floor pan. I'm, going to say it did not in any way at all. If John goes over it with 5/8" or 1/2" plywood without doing anything to the framing underneath, and then puts the pan on top of it, his floor will be plenty strong and he will save himself huge amounts of pain and work. . That 1/2" won't be noticed at all.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 2:16pm
I thought that might be what you were getting at.

I disagree 100% on that 1/2" not being noticeable, particularly in drivers seat height- important in keeping knee to steering wheel clearance and looking through the windshield (and not over it). In an early wood framed seat boat you could potentially compensate with seat height (though that's still less than ideal) but that's not an option on the fiberglass buckets with aluminum frames. The back seat may be affected too, as would the side pockets.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 2:28pm
When they went to the pan about 1/4" was gained and no one noticed.. Adding wood is going to loose a little, but I bet no two boats measure within 1/4" of each other anyway, and no one's going to notice that 1/2" or so. He's got a glass windshield, which is taller than the plastic windshield, so even someone with your height isn't going to be affected. I doubt it'll be noticed in the seat. Resizing the floor strinngers sounds like a lot of work to me for little if any gain...

Well at least he's not ripping the stringers out due to a little bit of moisture and those pesky mold spores.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 2:39pm
Interesting discussion on floors. Way back in the early 80's (LONG before there was Correctcraftfan.com or anything resembling a computer, let alone an internet) when we replaced the floor in the Ski Nautique (it was almost 20 years old then) we went with 1/2 ply (who knows what kind...) instead of the original 3/8". It did make a noticeable differences in fit-a-ment all over the place; rear panel height/slope, doghouse to center deck, knee to dashboard, knee to gunnel, shoulder to throttle. We were surprised how noticeable it actually was...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 2:41pm
We raised the floor 1/4" in the BFN (split the difference on the new 1/2" floor panels) and I can tell... now I'm spending $$$ for custom seat frames to get lower and offer some adjustability. In retrospect, I wish we had lowered the floor a bit rather than keep it close to the same- certainly shouldn't have raised it. Other than raise motorbox height (and increase motor height clearance), I can't think of any upsides of raising the floor- and there are several downsides. I think it's worth the effort to keep it the same.

Think about the difference sitting on a 2" throw cushion makes when driving the boat. Surely that 2" thick cushion is reduced to 1" or less under your weight... makes a pretty significant difference though, no?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 2:58pm
Steve and Tim, I guess you guys are more aware of these changes than I as we've made some changes in our boats and I've not noticed them. John one more thing to calculate is the motor box/engine height when you redo your floor.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I thought that might be what you were getting at.

I disagree 100% on that 1/2" not being noticeable, particularly in drivers seat height- important in keeping knee to steering wheel clearance and looking through the windshield (and not over it). In an early wood framed seat boat you could potentially compensate with seat height (though that's still less than ideal) but that's not an option on the fiberglass buckets with aluminum frames. The back seat may be affected too, as would the side pockets.

And I have the most beautiful Mustang fiberglass seat frames on the planet!!! They came from a secret source.
The stringers are already notched 3/4" for the cross member for the pylon and the another one at the front of the seat. would need to fill those to make it even to accept an overlay, and the floor would still be 1/2" higher than original. In addition I dont like the way the plywood must be cut around the motor mounts to retain the correct alignment. It looks wonky when you open the hood. I think it's better to just finish milling the front of the stringers down and making the floor the correct height.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 6:56pm
Looking for advice from you woodworking gurus. If I clamp a wood guide on each side of the stringers and use them as a surface to guide a router aand achieve the proper depth cut to mill the stringers down 3/4" what kind of bit should I use? It would be a plunge cut. I don't have enough experience to trust myself to pull this off without advice. Thanx.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2017 at 7:42pm
John,
Use a straight bit with a top mounted bearing of the same diameter as the bit. They are typically called a "pattern bit". Use the boards you clamp to each side of the stringer as guides for the bearing to follow. Your depth of cut will depend on the height of the boards on each side as well as the router bit protrusion from the base.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2017 at 12:07am
What are you going to do about all the cross members John, take them out replace and lower? Otherwise the router base is going to be stopped at the cross members. But I'm assuming they need to be lowered since you're going down 3/4? I'm Slightly confused on the plan, I'm trying to clarify
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Use a straight bit with a top mounted bearing of the same diameter as the bit. They are typically called a "pattern bit". Use the boards you clamp to each side of the stringer as guides for the bearing to follow. Your depth of cut will depend on the height of the boards on each side as well as the router bit protrusion from the base.

Thank you Pete, the top mounted bearing is the key I was looking for. I didnt know how to avoid cutting off the guide boards.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2017 at 1:21am
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

What are you going to do about all the cross members John, take them out replace and lower? Otherwise the router base is going to be stopped at the cross members. But I'm assuming they need to be lowered since you're going down 3/4? I'm Slightly confused on the plan, I'm trying to clarify

I will remove the crossmembers. They are dimential 1X lumber and measure 3/4" depth. 3/4" inch notches were cut into the stringers to accomodate them. The 3/4" plywood will replace them by spanning the entire area resulting in the floor height being identical to original and providing the maximum possible strength, essentially being a continuous crossmember. . It has been sugggested that 5/8 would be sufficient, but that would require me to fill the areas where the crossmembers were 1/8", resulting in another step and complicating the process.

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2017 at 10:28am
Are you hoping to cut this down in one pass? Maybe I'm stating the obvious, 3/4" in one pass is alot with a flush trim bit. Wonder if you set your guide boards first where you want them. Take about 4-5 passes over the stringers with a portable planer and then make a final cut with the router. Instead of setting your guide boards 2 maybe 3 times for each pass
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2017 at 5:33pm
Crap. I just found these. Looks like one more trip to the plater.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3738394041 54>
  Share Topic