Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2526272829 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 12:34pm
The comments I made above were before I saw the gaps. Cutting off the top might be the best plan since it's in such a short area. As to prepping I would think that if the wood is dry as you say and cpes soaks in you'd be good to go. I don't think I'd be making my own though I'd just buy the real stuff instead of experimenting on what the correct mixture would be. Use epoxy when closing it back up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 12:41pm
Anyone ever just tossed imbiber beads on the floor of their boat to soak all the crap up?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 12:43pm
A little xylene mixed in with epoxy is all it takes to make a watery consistency. It's not rocket surgery.

I'd cut the tops off the stringers with gaps/delam like you've shown. Thinned epoxy followed by thickened epoxy (high strength filler like milled fiber) would be my choice. The consistency of the thickened resin would depend on the size of the gap in filling.

For glass prep, I'd mechanically roughen the surface accepting new glass... Sand/grind followed by acetone. Make sure not to attach any new glass directly to gel (in the bilge). Grind down to glass in these areas.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A little xylene mixed in with epoxy is all it takes to make a watery consistency. It's not rocket surgery.

Won't argue with you there but he will want it to soak in as best as it can why get cheap now and try to be a chemist? 50/50 and he's good to go----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 12:59pm
John,
At one time, I contacted the rot doc about oily wood since I've got plenty of it in the hull of the 1915 launch. The response was very logical. The strong solvents in ether the purchased or home brew will "eat" into the oils in the wood but it will cure slower and not as hard. If normal epoxy is then used over the treated wood, it will bond with good results.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'd cut the tops off the stringers with gaps/delam like you've shown. Thinned epoxy followed by thickened epoxy (high strength filler like milled fiber) would be my choice. The consistency of the thickened resin would depend on the size of the gap in filling.

For glass prep, I'd mechanically roughen the surface accepting new glass... Sand/grind followed by acetone. Make sure not to attach any new glass directly to gel (in the bilge). Grind down to glass in these areas.

That's a text book case of a DISBOND fella's. The fiberglass plies are NOT seperating from themselves (Delaminating) but have as a whole component has DISBONDED from the wood ..... go back and watch my video Timmy

If you go the epoxy route we use acetone to thin out epoxy resin all the time here at work. Microballoons (glass spheres) make an excellent filler (when mixed with epoxy) and used as the rub strip for the fan blades in the fan containment cases in our engines because the stuff is so tough. Mix ratio is 22-30% of the resin weight....We have empty chaulk tubes that are filled with it and use a chaulk gun to force it in the honeycomb cells. That would be ideal for this application but don't know if it's easy found.

If not then I too suggest cutting off the top of the DISBONDED glass , filling the sides with epoxy after CPES and reglass the top as Tim suggested.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 1:34pm
Didn't it disbond when the wood shrank? What happens when you fill the space with butter and the wood expands?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 1:42pm
Bruce,
The wood won't expand as long as it gets a good CPES and epoxy treatment.

There's a good chance that the dis bond from the wood was caused by wet wood freezing. as well as a poor bond from the factory.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 1:43pm
Yes, Bruce it did. Good question? My guess is that the wood would just compress if the new glass over was done properly. If not then when it started swelling then it would pop "The Cap"off. ...... If fully encased in fiberglass would the wood swell again. It shrinks because lack of moisture right?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 1:53pm
Hard to believe that once treated and encased in glass/expoxy that the moisture content of the wood doesn't change, but if the cap pops off it's easy to fix.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Hard to believe that once treated and encased in glass/expoxy that the moisture content of the wood doesn't change, but if the cap pops off it's easy to fix.

Polyester resin is hygroscopic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:02pm
Splitting hairs for us laymen, Tim... Google search results for the 2 terms use them pretty interchangeably (see the first few results for "disbond"). But I understand you're making the distinction between layers of glass delaminating from each other vs. the glass becoming disbonded from the wood substrate. I will admit that I have not watched your video in its entirety in quite some time.

Glass does have the advantage of being pretty flexible. I imagine it could handle some dimension variation. If t never gets wet, I wouldn't expect it to vary much anyways.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:06pm
Haha.....well since we are in the business here at CCFan of mixing multiple layers of fiberglass and wood then we all need to be on the same page!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:13pm
I think you're all mad, but John's retired, so he may as well tear into them...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:22pm
What is your point Bruce just because he's retired does not mean he has extra time. I find that there is even less. Everyone thinks,well your not doing anything can you do this for me,can you go with,etc
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:27pm
Gary, if you lived by me, I'm sure I could find stuff for you to do, too! You must find some people get aggravated with you because you keep yourself so busy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I think you're all mad, but John's retired, so he may as well tear into them...

Bruce,
I always thought that the appraisal business was just like being retired!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:32pm
On if you have employees, Pete. Being chief cook and bottle washer, I don't undertstand the concept of "extra time".
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:42pm
I guess cutting the top the full length of the stringers and applying as much CPES as they will take, followed by thickened epoxy in the event of any voids, and then capping them is the way to go. I will be putting in an order to Jamestown Distributors for some of the stuff I need unless someone has a better choice. Here is what I have so far:

I think a gallon of CPES should do it including treating the new wood floor I will need to install under the pan.
I am looking at the 1 gallon Total Boat 5:1 epoxy kit.
Some milled fiberglass may come in handy
I don't know if microballons or silica thickener would be better for my project.
What cloth should I use for best results?
I will need something to glue the sole down. What's best?

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on things I have failed to consider?
I will not be able to devote 100% of my time until sometime in December. I can do a day here and there until then. I want to have the stuff I need on hand so I can make good use of my time.
I am leaning pretty hard on everyone and I want you to know I appreciate the help I am getting. I may not have the skills to do an expert job, but I am confident with your guidance I will use the right products.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:56pm
Milled fiber works awesome. Cabosil might be my 2nd choice, it's color neutral and smooths out real nice. I'd add some pigment to the resin so it's easier to cover (or maybe you can match) the mains in the bilge area.

I'd get it all from us composites for a significant discount. I'd get at least 2gal of resin. Many layers (5-7) of thinner cloth would be fine and be easier to make the tight bends over the tops of stringers, but biax or mat would build thickness quicker.

Don't forget to grind the edges of the glass that you leave behind for the transition (remove all gel in areas accepting new glass).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 6:28pm
Tim turned me on to us composites too John,I'm sure that is what he used on the seats. Get the measuring pumps they take out any guess work.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 7:16pm
I bought some stuff from U S Composites years ago. Il price it there Thanks!
I did a little work today and got my stuff organized. When I cut the cap off astern of the engine I found that the major shrinkage was in the vertical dimension. The glass on the sides of the main stringers is not bonded to them, but it is not showing much of a gap either. I believe this was the right way to proceed. Next up, engine out and dig in. I read many comments and opinions proclaiming that there is no such thing as a boat this old with original stringers that have not turned to compost. Frankly I thought these were still serviceable but I began doubting myself even after removing the well seated lag bolts and examining the wood in the hole. I am happy to say that this project has gotten infinitely easier since I will not be doing a stringer job. There are two places where the rear cross member was where I can force a screwdriver about 1/8 into the wood if I push hard enough, but it is not enough to be concerned over.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 10:56am
John, as Tim stated in his post above. A thinner tighter weave is easier to work with as it lays down really nice, forms well around curves etc BUT you will need more plys to add thickness and structural strength. ALWAYS round your corners as they will they down better and won't have a tendency lift up on you. Use a "pizza cutter" rotary style blade to cut long lengths of cloth and use a metal yardstick, or carpenter square as a fence to cut it. Cut it on a long 1x6 or something so as not to dull the blade and watch those fingers. It will lop off the end of your thumb/finger if you aren't careful ( seen it).

SHARP, SHARP SHARP sissors make the would of difference so don't scrimp on a decent pair and use them for cloth only.

I dug out my Delta Composite Traing manual for desriptions of the following.....

Milled Fibers -    Milled Fibers are used to thicken and reinforce resins. They are typically made of chopped glass (approx. 1/64 to 1/4 inch). Milled fibers are typically used to repair small holes in solid laminates.

Microballoons - These are very small hallow spheres. They are used to displace resin and lighten the potting compound. Microballoons are used as a core potting compound and a dent filler.

Fumed Silica [cab-o-sil] - Small cicular plates of silica added to resin as a thixotropic agent to prevent resin from sagging. Thixotropic agents are gel at rest but become fluid when agitated.

So there you have it.......maybe that will help you determine what is best to use. I have been meaning to do a composite 101 thread with pics of various things we use here at DAL that would easily apply to those of us restoring these old boats. Maybe I can get around to doing so this winter.

Let me know if I can help more John. Keep at it brother and the pics to show us your progress.

TimBob/Foot

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 12:27pm
John I look forward to the day of our little mustangs riding together!
1970 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 12:35pm
john, I've got a bunch of glass & resin supplies from the ongoing Martinique project. Holler if you need anything. Plenty of cabosil, cloth tape, 3:1 US composite resin, CPES, etc. I won't go through it all this winter so you're welcome to anything you want to experiment or use. I can re-buy later if needed.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

John I look forward to the day of our little mustangs riding together!

I missed you this year, I hope all is well. Amazing how small these Mustangs are. The Alumitoon looks giant alongside your Mustang and its a standard 20'er

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2015 at 3:34pm
Yeah i didn't make it up this year with the new baby coming in late june, but we're headed up in october!

I'm planning on getting the boat out next summer.

Knowing me I'll probably be calling you for some help on the winterization process again haha.
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 12:12am
You may have a problem if you own more than one of these. This one is for my good power train. My wife is a saint.

I am ready to pull the engine/trans. My thought is to cover the boat with 4 mil plastic and tape it down with painters tape to protect the finish while working with epoxy and other stuff. Is there anything better suited for this? Also, are there any Velvet Drive parts that wear out and are hard to come by that would make me think it is a good idea to keep my spare, which I consider a core.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 7:53am
John,
There's no need to worry about parts for the Velvet. Unlike the PCM's, they are pretty tough sp there's a chance it may outlast you and I combined!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 9:25am
Pete's out to lunch on that one, the PCM's are pretty bulletproof as evidenced by Joe!

I would definitely keep the core velvet... Pumps and other hard parts do wear out and can be costly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2526272829 54>
  Share Topic