Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 2:03pm
John have you finished wiring up the Dash? WOuld love to see a picture.

Also anyone have a wiring diagram of these boats? I want to re-wire mine sometime in the next 5 years, refurb the guages and put in the new dash plate like John's.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 2:37pm
I am still waiting for my gauges to come back. I can't do much wiring until I get them.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

anyone have a wiring diagram of these boats?

It's in the reference section. Have you looked??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 7:43pm
Peter,
To help you navigate the CCfan site, here's your diagram:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wadeonminnetonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeonminnetonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 12:33am
John,

When I was a little kid, we used to go to Lake Darling in Alexandria. My dad had a Larson All American with the V4 Johnson. It was really cool.

One day a guy pulled up in the coolest boat I had ever seen. It even had a gas pedal. I was done.

I now know that it was a Correct Craft Skylark. Seafoam Green, with dual air horns and a glass windshield. I had the swoopy doghouse over the engine. Matching seats. Coolest boat I had ever seen.

Fast forward 45 years or so. My older daughter likes to ski. Right now I drag her around behind our Wellcraft 232 eclipse. Great boat, not a good ski boat. Last summer she said to me "Dad, if I get a scholarship to engineering school will you get me a ski boat?" She did, so I started shopping.

Last summer my brother in law got a '57 Skier, and I like that a lot. I figure if he can get one, I should.

I saw a seafoam green skylark on craigslist, and did some research. I am not the guy who is going to get a boat with a V6 when a V8 is available, so it is the Mustang for me. I have found a bunch that are beautiful, but too far away. Last summer I was driving around the lake and saw a Higgins ski boat, so now I am lusting after that too. I am not sure which to get, so I will probably compromise and just get both.

So I gotta get a boat that is going to run by Memorial day, which may mean the one with the manifold issue is out. Too bad, it is a beauty. But today I did find a 72 Mustang that is in pretty good shape.

I think that I will be better off to get one that is kind of ratty, because it will be the kids boat, and sooner or later they will tear the prop and shaft off of it, and I would rather have them do that to something that is not a pristine classic that I have poured hours and hours into. There is also a 79 Nautique I am going to look at because the stringers have already been done and the motor has been rebuilt.

I think the pre-70's Mustangs are just cool.

Wade
wade
wadeonminnetonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeonminnetonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 12:35am
John and PB,

Abatron is not magic. It is good technology. I was not suggesting that it would work to repair stingers that were really bad. But I have used it to repair sections that are punky and it works really great. I will post some pictures if you want me to.

PB, why doug fir and not LVL?

wade
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 5:58pm
Just came from the upholstery shop. $3,500 seems a bit pricy for two bucket seats, 2 rear seat pads and the side panels. Anyone have a suggestion / comment?

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 6:13pm
Tell me about it I'm going with the electric Amish in Ohio. This will be the third time for my back seat first guy did it backwards, the second wrong color! The third times a charm.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 6:21pm
Electric Amish? So those buggys are hybrid horse/electric?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 6:43pm
WOW. That would be hefty price for a barracuda with the huge side panels and upholstered motorbox. Seems to be almost 2x high to me... Certainly shouldn't run more than 2k for a good upholstery shop. $1500 was the number on my buddy's Skier- only differences were no side panels, and the back seat bottom cushions were 3-pieced.

You need Adams Amish guy in OH, he did an amazing job on a modern delux interior with complex shapes, stripes to align, embroidery, etc. A simple mustang interior should be a piece of cake. That's where I plan to bring mine when the time comes, so go ahead and let's get them some practice on those buckets.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by wadeonminnetonka wadeonminnetonka wrote:

Abatron is not magic.

No, it's not but simply another product like the Rot Doctor. Nether are a product that should be used to "fix" rot in boats. Both are back yard hack jobs.

Originally posted by wadeonminnetonka wadeonminnetonka wrote:

PB, why doug fir and not LVL?

Nothing wrong with LVL. in some areas of the country it's just easier to get. In fact, there's a complete thread on a member using it for a complete stringer job.

BTW, I feel you need to start your own thread before John get's mad with you jumping in on his!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 8:06pm
I think mine were 1100 John. Side panels,pockets,both buckets,rear seats and motorbox. Few wrinkles here and there just like the owner.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Few wrinkles here and there just like the owner.

Gary,
This reminds me! Now with your retirement and time spent down south, have you gotten any color to your legs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Few wrinkles here and there just like the owner.

Gary,
This reminds me! Now with your retirement and time spent down south, have you gotten any color to your legs?

Gary's legs have the maximum color possible since a true blinding white has all the wavelengths in the spectrum. So there Gary, I'm looking out for you!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 9:32pm
How's this? It's been a good year hope you guy's are warming it
up back there. Thanks John I don't want to clog up
your thread though.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 9:42pm
I have that much color in january in new england    your nails are much better than mine
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 1:07am

these legs...yup a winter spent in the Keys will help you tan lines!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 5:54am
I recall a thread several years back about reversing the cables on a Morse. I can't find the thread. On the surface this sounds reasonable for a foamless boat to keep the radius down. Any comments? Also, any favorite cables out there for steering and Morse?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 7:46am
John,
The manual is in the ref section. It can be confusing but not impossible.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 8:04am
John, I assume you mean routing the cables forward from the control, through the conduit into the engine compartment? Or do you mean routing the throttle cable under the engine and then to the carb from the rear (as opposed to the front (original) set up? Or maybe both?

Either way, I'd recommend keeping the stock routing, as the bends are pretty generous. I have no binding on my boats with the original rear/front set up.

I'd recommend go2marine for the cables. I've been using the tfxtreme control cables- they're billed as the top of the line 33 series (red jacket) replacement. If memory serves the original set up called for 10' and 12' cables. For the steering, the standard teleflex rotary (for big T) cables they sell are what you want. You may need a clevis kit if you have an original cable, but if it's been replaced in the last 30 years you're probably all set (post a pic of the rudder end if you're not sure). Pretty sure I put 16' cables in my 16' boats... 17' works too but will have some extra slack.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Peter,
To help you navigate the CCfan site, here's your diagram:

I have never been able to find this, many thanks Peter!
1970 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 4:52pm
16 does work but mine had a 17 in it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 7:48pm
Back to the search for an upholstered. Enos Miller, the Amish upholsterer from Ohio, got back to me. He is out of the business.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2015 at 8:41pm
Amish mafia shake him down and scare him off?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:39pm
John,
When I bought mine from my seller in MI, he had an upholstery guy and the work i think is really good. Let me see if I can get a hold of him.
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 8:00pm
The front seat brackets on my Mustang are painted silver. They have some chips and scratches and could use a re-paint. They were painted originally, right?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 8:28pm
I don't believe they were coated or painted, john- mine are all bare.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2015 at 8:47pm
John,
Aluminum is a silver color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 12:13am
I could be wrong, and frequently am, but this looks like it has some kind of coating on it. may be original, maybe not. does it look familiar? it looks a bit rough as is.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 12:19am
John,
Get a scotch brite pad and see what happens. Yes, it does look like someone went after them with a can of aluminum paint. I'll bet it will come off real easy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 54>
  Share Topic