Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 2001 rebuild. Pete, go away.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
MinaquaWI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinaquaWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 8:05pm
How about liquid nails Subfloor and Deck adhesive to glue your flooring to your stringers? It has a 450psi sheer strength after 28 days of cure. Engineers?

On another note, I had a 1985 Malibu Skier and the floor was glassed to the hull (topside only) and was stapled to the stringers. I thought that was an interesting and subpar method.
Current - 1991 Sport Nautique, 1970 Glastron GT-140, 1970's MasterCraft Jump Boat

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:59pm
definetely a salt water boat..you can see the sacrifical anode in the rudder....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:50pm
I believe the boat was originally from Long Island, so yes I think that it spent some time in salt water hence the Anti-fouling. Who knows how the gel looks underneath, thats not on this winters do to list, although I would like to get rid of it to reduce the friction on water. Although, at times I think it along with the black stripe kind of makes the boat look like a police boat, which always kind of makes me laugh. I might throw on a PA system and be the lakes party police.

JLLogan, I already planned on tossing the upholstery on here once I get some new ones made in the future, but thats not in this years budget, i'm already cutting into this winters skiing funds as of right now.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 4:50pm
i am more curious as why it was painted...salt water?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 2:11pm
Will you be keeping the Black Anti-Fouling or do you plan to remove it?
Curious on Gel condition underneath it.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Maximal691 Maximal691 wrote:

Brian, the gel is in great shape and the upholstery is flawless, which is a shame since it's that hideous red/burgundy color and I would like white.

If its flawless and original you may be able to carefully remove and get a few hundred bucks. I am sure there is someone on here with an 84 that needs upholstery.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 1:22pm

Trbenj, I'll glue and screw the floor.

Yes, I realize that is your current plan... my question is why youre planning to do it this way. Taking a step back and thinking outside the box is great- it makes you question "the norm" on the way things are done... but I dont understand your rationale on the screws.

Like was mentioned above, theyre not needed for a good floor/stringer bond, and they'll create both a stress point and a possible intrusion point. I think that screw retention is insufficient justification to use trex.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 1:17pm
Eric, this route is just something that I've been brainstorming the past few months. Brian, the gel is in great shape and the upholstery is flawless, which is a shame since it's that hideous red/burgundy color and I would like white. And yes, it is paint on the hull bottom. Trbenj, I'll glue and screw the floor. Im sure I'll put more thought into the coosa after I meet up with Joe.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'll chime in on Tim's comment on the screws. I have always recommended using screws only as a temporary means of holding two pieces together untill the thickened epoxy sets up. Then removed and filled. Any screw is a stress point and I've seen failures and the screws in both wood and glass. Bedding a complete bonding surface with epoxy is my suggestion. (Tim mentioned it too)

Exactly. Screw retention for the floor should be a non-concern. Unless your ply floor is really warped, screws wouldnt even be necessary as a temporary means of holding it down while the adhesive cures... a bunch of weight works just fine.

I can see the argument that the trex would simply be a form in which you shaped your glass stringers. Theyre also composite (no rot) and readily available... However, youre going to have to bulk up your glass schedule over them significantly to compensate for their lack of strength. That partially (if not totally) offsets their attractive price, as compared to something like coosa or airex. Those options are better for a true core material, as they are much stronger. If you were to consider using the same on the primaries (in place of seacast) then the cost of a sheet or 2 may be in line with your current projected expenses. Something to think about.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 11:38am

I don't know the forces on the hull from the water, or from the engine so I don't know those calculations. I have put some thought into the expansion though, and this is what I have come up with. The coefficient of linear thermal expansion of douglas fir is 2.7x10^-6, which is in the boat originally. Epoxy resin is 31x10^-6. Trex is made of roughly 50/50 wood and polyethylene. Polyethylene has a thermal coefficient of 111, and 60 x10^-6 for high density, which are both used in trex. So, they average out to 85.5. Average that with the wood in the trex, 85.5 + 2.7 = 88.2/2 = 44.1. So I know its a very rough number, but lets say the trex has a thermal coefficient of 44.1x10^-6. I don't know the length of the secondaries, but lets go with 12 feet, and the temperature change is from 10 degrees to 100 degrees, the epoxy will expand 0.033" and the trex will expand 0.047". Thats a difference of 0.014", or about 5.5 human hairs over 12 feet. Is this math complete b.s., or will it work? I'm not an engineer, so if this kind of thing is your baby please chime in. I do think the trex holds screws pretty well, not as well as a pressure treated 2x, but enough to keep 5/8" ply down. As long as the stringers are solid, the floor will not have very much upward force on it. Sorry if none of this post makes sense, its been a long day.

I think it makes perfect sense
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 11:36am
Awsome looking boat.., gel and interior look good still. is that bottom paint?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 10:08am
max, why are you going this route? im just curious
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 9:04am
I'll chime in on Tim's comment on the screws. I have always recommended using screws only as a temporary means of holding two pieces together untill the thickened epoxy sets up. Then removed and filled. Any screw is a stress point and I've seen failures and the screws in both wood and glass. Bedding a complete bonding surface with epoxy is my suggestion. (Tim mentioned it too)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 3:06am
I don't know the forces on the hull from the water, or from the engine so I don't know those calculations. I have put some thought into the expansion though, and this is what I have come up with. The coefficient of linear thermal expansion of douglas fir is 2.7x10^-6, which is in the boat originally. Epoxy resin is 31x10^-6. Trex is made of roughly 50/50 wood and polyethylene. Polyethylene has a thermal coefficient of 111, and 60 x10^-6 for high density, which are both used in trex. So, they average out to 85.5. Average that with the wood in the trex, 85.5 + 2.7 = 88.2/2 = 44.1. So I know its a very rough number, but lets say the trex has a thermal coefficient of 44.1x10^-6. I don't know the length of the secondaries, but lets go with 12 feet, and the temperature change is from 10 degrees to 100 degrees, the epoxy will expand 0.033" and the trex will expand 0.047". Thats a difference of 0.014", or about 5.5 human hairs over 12 feet. Is this math complete b.s., or will it work? I'm not an engineer, so if this kind of thing is your baby please chime in. I do think the trex holds screws pretty well, not as well as a pressure treated 2x, but enough to keep 5/8" ply down. As long as the stringers are solid, the floor will not have very much upward force on it. Sorry if none of this post makes sense, its been a long day.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:50pm
If you've been able to figure out how much to beef up the glass, I would be really curious on what you came up with and how you arrived at the thickness needed.

Something else you may want to consider with the trex is its rate of expansion vs the glass hull.    Trex has a tendancy to "grow" when it gets hot.   Have you come up with a way to mitigate this?   seems part of the reason the original glass shell around the stringer cracks is due to expansion when the water freezes inside the wood.   You might have the opposite effect in this case where the expansion of the trex would pop the glass when it gets warm, and shrink in the cold.   this actually might be a good argument against having the glass stick to the trex...
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:45pm

Dreaming, yes I will beef up the glass on it, I just really want the trex in there as a solid piece to screw the decking into.

Trex doesn't hold a screw all that well.   I like you're thinking with wanting to screw down the floor, but more to hold it while the glue dries as opposed to being the permanant fastening solution...   Since the floor acts as an interlocking piece with all the rest of the structure, it takes quite a bit of the transfer load when the hull flexes.    Bedding the floor to the stringer will help with load transfer.   If the floor moves at all, a good deal of the transfer will be lost while the floor is pre-loading.

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 7:46pm
the title of this thread alone makes it worth the read
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 7:20pm
ok so your last post may have answered my question. need something to screw into, disregard prior post.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 7:19pm

Dreaming, yes I will beef up the glass on it, I just really want the trex in there as a solid piece to screw the decking into.

Presumably you mean the floor... but why do you need to screw it down?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 7:12pm
why do seacast at all? Would it be too difficult to do a foam filled fiberglass stringer? I suppose the seacast could be simpler and less risky as it is a proven method. But if you were good with the glass I would say save your money on the seacast and go fiberglass.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 7:09pm
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 5:59pm
Composite stringer thread

Yes, the glass "shell" around the stringer will give the boat the necessary rigidity, you don't actually need anything inside the stringer... however, the caveat is that you need to know how thick the fiberglass shell around whatever core you use needs to be to make up for the lost strenght of the original wood stringer core.   If I could difinitively determine the loads that the boat would see, and how in my garage I could acheive the strength necessary to with stand normal loads and safety factor, I would use glass around foam as seen in the post 93 boats. Since you are a boarder and are probably going to attempt balast at some point, you need to consider what effect the extra balast weight has on the hull/stringer system too... in effect, the hip bone connected to the leg bone... etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 5:31pm
To those have concerns and express your concerns with some logic, thank you. To those who are unfamiliar with the product and are just saying "no" with no real evidence or knowledge, your opinion does not matter much. Gary S, bayliner would never use anything that doesnt cost the bare minimum, which trex is not. Price a wood deck and a trex deck and you will see there is a vast cost difference. Isnt there boat companies who make stringers with just fiberglass? Doesnt the structural shape of the glass have a considerable amount of strength? I feel if im glassing them in, I should be good. Also, so no one gets confused, I am only doing the secondaries this way (if the epoxy test joe does comes back good), the main stringers will be sea cast.

Here are some pics, the ones in the field are the day I bought it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

I'm not even an engineer and I think I would be hesitant to use a material created from recycled grocery bags and saw dust in a boat's structural system.

I suppose if it worked, some big outfit like Bayliner would use it,think of the money they could save with the amount of boats they crank out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

Definitely go by and see what Joe has done and listen to what he has to say. He is a great resource if you have the patience to still consider other methods.

I'll echo this sentiment... Joe is the most knowledgeable person I know of on this topic. He's a fantastic engineer, and has rebuilt more boats using various methods than most (if not all) who contribute here.   

+1

I'm not even an engineer and I think I would be hesitant to use a material created from recycled grocery bags and saw dust in a boat's structural system.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

Definitely go by and see what Joe has done and listen to what he has to say. He is a great resource if you have the patience to still consider other methods.

I'll echo this sentiment... Joe is the most knowledgeable person I know of on this topic. He's a fantastic engineer, and has rebuilt more boats using various methods than most (if not all) who contribute here.   
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 12:05pm

Joe, I can make the stop, I'll pm you and we can make some plans.

Max,

I'm not an engineer, but I've seen at least three good engineers post in this thread and maybe others. (Maybe that's what your finals are in as well, but these engineers posting in this thread have more engineering experience than almost all of other engineers I know. They guys actually do a lot of work.)

Definitely go by and see what Joe has done and listen to what he has to say. He is a great resource if you have the patience to still consider other methods. I do admire you willingness to make the boat your own. It doesn't have to be put back into it's original form. You will be so happy if you take the time to be diligent in your work and make the boat into something that will last you for years on end.

Good luck with finals!!!!! Yuck.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 11:55am
Maximal,
I hope you dont take any of these suggestions the wrong way. I know you havent been around the site real long (long enough to get how it works) but the only reason people suggest stuff is because they care about the success of your project. No one wants to let you down by giving bad advice and I know that is why pete corrects people sometimes. If you decide to go with the trex it is your decision and I am not even saying you are wrong, you know, you did the research and its your boat. I know most everyone on here feels the same way.

So just keep that in mind as people make suggestions or try to reccomend other routes, everyone wants you to be happy with your final project and not regret anything or cost yourself more time or money.

Also, where are the pictures of your boat!!?? Any concept art?!?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 11:36am
You can get a 1/2" thick 4x8 sheet of coosa or Airex (similar stuff) for $150-200. That would be enough to make the secondaries and a whole lot more. 2 sheets would be enough to do all the stringers and you could skip the Seacast. 3 Sheets would be enough for the stringers and front floor- which is all you'd need if you re-foam the boat.... and you'd never have to worry about rot.

Thinking outside the box can be a great thing- but failing to take advantage of the knowledge that others have acquired, who have been down the same path that youre just embarking on, seems a little bit silly!
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2011 at 10:31am
No trex, period.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic