Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Rebuild '88 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 4:00pm
My local shop will boil it....

Just the part where you blew it out....not sure if you had soaked it or now.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 5:08pm
Ugg I hope I do not have to do this any time soon. Mine looks kinda grungy when I take the flame arrestor off.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 6:00pm
it's not that bad...the mass of information out there can be confusing though...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 6:25pm
If you put it back together and there's a bunch of extra piece left over, that's ok.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Ok...here comes my OCD kicking in.

When you need to take pictures of something very close up, zoom all the way OUT and look for this logo on your camera:

i'm familiar with macro mode...the fuel/air screw and accelerator pump nozzle photos above were taken with macro mode.

Don't take it the wrong way..I wasn't trying to be an ass.   

It just seems like a TON of people haven't a clue as to what macro mode is and I try and educate when I can.

No harm, no foul.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 10:52pm
we use an ultrasonic washer for the carbs at the shop
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

we use an ultrasonic washer for the carbs at the shop

Harbor freight has one that goes on sale every once in a while. Have been wanting to get one for a while.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Mnboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 6:52am
Boiling is an old term. It means to take the parts and put them in a parts washer which has very nasty chemicals like MEK inside. The little gooseneck tube pumps this fluid thorough whatever part you aim it at and hence boiling, for the constant movement of the fluid.

Most parts stores dont have this stuff anymore and new fuels are so mild, that they dont require its use. Check at your local airport. Those guys still have really strong stuff to do airplane parts with.

Ask an old timer at the greasiest garage in town. He might know a guy who knows a guy. The technique really works and your parts will look like brand new after an overnight boil!
Bruce
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Mnboater Mnboater wrote:

Boiling is an old term. It means to take the parts and put them in a parts washer which has very nasty chemicals like MEK inside. The little gooseneck tube pumps this fluid thorough whatever part you aim it at and hence boiling, for the constant movement of the fluid.

Most parts stores dont have this stuff anymore and new fuels are so mild, that they dont require its use. Check at your local airport. Those guys still have really strong stuff to do airplane parts with.

Ask an old timer at the greasiest garage in town. He might know a guy who knows a guy. The technique really works and your parts will look like brand new after an overnight boil!

Bruce,
I feel you are misinformed or are using the wrong terms.

Boiling in a tank was commonly used (some shops still have them) for dropping an engine block into a heated tank filled with a caustic - typically sodium hydroxide.

The parts washer is for just general degreasing and typically uses a stodard solvent and not MEK.

The aerospace guys still use a vapor degreaser with TCE in it. We have one here at the plant and it is truely the best way to completely degrease a part since you are not recirculating dirty solvent back over the part like a parts washer does.

Carb cleaning buckets of a solvent mix are available at all auto parts stores. This is what you want to soak your carb in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:32pm
i used this
Mnboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:23pm
I will take my whippin sir. I thought I had it right but will defer for a score of 50%. MEK is good stuff. Lethal of course but it works for cleaning stuff thats got goo on it. The parts washer might have lots of different stuff in it, but it certainly is WAY more effective than a spray can that some of these posts are eluding to. And Air can push a too big granule tight into an orifice, and there it will stay. Allowing amatuers the opportunity to improve on the time it took to rebuild the first time. How do I know? Yup been there. I can rebuild my snowmobile mikunis now on a hotel counter in about 20 minutes.

So what is the toughest stuff available for todays parts washer suitable for a carb? Is it worth it or just a waste of money and farm out the job to the guys at the local airport?
Bruce
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:29pm

i used this

Nick,
That's good stuff according to Billy. I wish I had found it for my last carb rebuild. I ended up with a 5 gal. pail of Napa brand and it was pretty weak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:31pm
Thats the same stuff I used on mine... good enough to strip the dichromate finish off a Holley if you soak it too long! (Dont ask me how I know.)
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Thats the same stuff I used on mine... good enough to strip the dichromate finish off a Holley if you soak it too long! (Dont ask me how I know.)

I throw all of the small airplane parts in that stuff to strip the paint off. Works great!

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:17pm

sure is...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

I throw all of the small airplane parts in that stuff to strip the paint off. Works great!

The Napa stuff wouldn't even take the paint off my carbs and that was after days of soaking!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:27pm
Nick,

You are inspiring me to rebuild my carb. Was that 3/4 Gallon container large enough to submerge the carb? I was quessing that a larger container would be needed.

Donald
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 12:34am
Don,once it's apart the widest part is the base where the throttle plates are,but it is thin.You can find another container that it will fit into and just pour the carb cleaner into that.The next biggest part is the main block and you can do the same.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:36am
Here are some before and after pic's of a 600 I did this summer to try on my boat someday-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Nick,

You are inspiring me to rebuild my carb. Was that 3/4 Gallon container large enough to submerge the carb? I was quessing that a larger container would be needed.

Donald

i had to use a giant coffee can for the main body...the can I had was about the same size as a gallon paint can.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 12:41pm
Gary, did you paint that with something?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 8:49pm
Gary and Nick,

Thanks for explaining the size issue. So there are no hidden Nylon, Plastic or Rubber Parts that may get eaten up my the Carb Cleaner?

Thanks,

Donald
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 9:26pm
Justin, I used this Eastwood plating kit on the hardware

Then I sprayed this carb renew on

I don't know how it will hold up I have not put in on yet.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 11:04pm

Gary and Nick,

Thanks for explaining the size issue. So there are no hidden Nylon, Plastic or Rubber Parts that may get eaten up my the Carb Cleaner?

Thanks,

Donald

there was one nylon spacer on the main body that could be removed if you can pry the vent tube off and then remove the choke butterfly...i didn't do that and soaked with it on...no issues.

i read (maybe on this thread) that there are nylon bushings in the throttle body...i didn't soak the throttle body.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 11:15pm
finished the rebuild the other day while i was home sick. i kept the vent baffle in the same orientation as one of the above photos (really there is no other reasonable way it could go on). i didn't monkey with the float levels either. the secondary bowl was dead nuts level. the primary was slightly less than level (i.e. higher fuel level)...some said level...some said it should have a higher fuel level...i left it alone.

i read that the float bowl bolts should be torqued to 40 inch pounds...my torque wrench doesn't go that low so i used the red neck method...the N on the wrench was 4" from the ctr of the socket...so i pulled with 10 pounds from that location with my fish scale...close enough.

done

and done. the balance tube was tricky to get installed and sealed properly in each bowl...just takes a little time and some twisting.

these are all the old parts that were replaced

leftover parts from the rebuild kit

thanks for all the good advice
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 6:51pm
Nick,

Thanks for sharing. I am going to try this over the winter. Do you anticipate having to dial it in or on your reassembly you put everything back to orginal settings?

Mine runs great but my Power Valve will hesitate about 1 out of 5 times I pull up a skier.

Thanks,

Donald
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 12:21pm

Nick,

Thanks for sharing. I am going to try this over the winter. Do you anticipate having to dial it in or on your reassembly you put everything back to orginal settings?

Mine runs great but my Power Valve will hesitate about 1 out of 5 times I pull up a skier.

Thanks,

Donald

i did put everything back to original, but i do still anticipated some minor tuning (air/fuel screws and idle speed).

one think i forgot to mention above is that i hopefully corrected a high idle after a hard run issue. the secondaries were hanging open a bit...there is a rod that controls this that i removed and re-bend to eliminate any slop in the secondary butterflies...hopefully that should do the trick.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 3:16pm
I has getting the high idle after a hard run too - I rebent the secondary link & it solved the problem.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2014 at 7:50pm
An old thread I know but just seen this in the FAQ section, these cork gaskets are interesting as my carb doesnt have them.
Although Im surprised they would fit as look to have a larger diameter than the screws?
My tique has a tendency to stall when first dropping it in the water and shifting trans into gear, this problem goes away after the engine has warmed up but is an issue as it can take ages to first pull away. Maybe its due to not having these gaskets? The only way I can get around the issue at the moment is to crank up the idle screw, then once warmed up screwing it back down again.

Although the PO has also removed the electronic choke, I suppose thats a more likely cause? Anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks

fuel/air screws and new cork gaskets

'82 Ski Tique
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 3:37pm
Thanks for sharing all this. I have an old 4160 apart on my bench right now. I took it apart a few weeks ago and said to myself I'll remember where that goes...famous last words....lol..... This is going to save me some time.

And I was wondering about the extra parts.... ;)
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic