NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Rebuild '88 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Rebuild '88 2001
    Posted: November-19-2011 at 9:10pm
Got started on the carb rebuild this weekend. Researched a bit on this site and elswhere...didn't really find any good photos so here you go.
Of course I have a couple questions.

here is the carb on the bench. i read somewhere to make legs with bolts. i thought it worked really well.

first thing i did was remove the primary bowl. it took a little gentle prying but came off fairly easy. this is what it looks like underneath.

inside of the primary bowl. after the bowls were off, i took out the floats, the needle valve, the plastic "protecter" and then the seat.

secondary bowl off and view of the secondary metering block. the screws are 5/16" "clutch" head...first time i've ever used my clutch head bits.

next i took off the primary metering block...again, with gentle prying. after the metering block was off, i screwed in the air/fuel adjusting screws until they were seated and recorded how many turns so I'll have a good starting point when it's time to reassemble. next out was the power valve. a 2.5 came out and a 2.5 came with the rebuild kit. finally the jets came out.

primary metering block

next the choke and secondary diaphragm assy came off. and finally 8 screws to separate the main body from the base.

now for my questions.

1)do i need to disassemble the base any further before soaking??

2)do i need to remove the accel pump nozzle (one internet guide said i should)?? to do so it looks like a need to take off the overflow tube first and then the choke plate. seems un-necessary and maybe a little risky to take off the overflow tube.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2011 at 9:25pm
No on the base, yes on the nozzle, but you dont need to take off the J vent.

What was the issue you were experiencing, it looks pretty clean to me.

Make sure to soak the main body and shoot air through the tiny air bleeds on top of the horns. Those clog up easily.
You will also be changing the accelerator pump and secondary diaphgrams.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2011 at 9:49pm
how else can i get to that big phillips head screw??

i was having as issue with hesitation/miss and sometimes it would die while idling in gear.

i will be changing the accel pump but wasn't planning on changing the secondary.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 1:34am
Good pictures Nick. Keep it up. This is great info.
83Ski
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 11:26am
why wouldnt you change the secondary?
"the things you own will start to own you"
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

why wouldnt you change the secondary?

i don't know...i've read that it's not really necessary unless i have some high speed or lack of power issues...which i don't.
why should i change it??
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:15pm
Murphy's law - If you don't change it, it will fail later & you have to fix it twice.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:15pm
well, go by the odds, if you do replace it chances are you will not have any problems in the spring,,,,but if you dont...
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:30pm
If it's your first, open it over an open shoe box.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 1:11pm
i guess it's cheap insurance...so why not.

now, what about the how do i get the accel pump nozzle out question??
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 4:28pm
Great pics

I have also read (on the site of a certain well know ski boat parts supplier) that's it's not typically necessary to replace the secondary diaphragm. The rational is that this diaphragm is never (or shouldn't be) soaked with fuel, so it's less prone to deterioration. That said, probably wouldn't hurt, although they don't come with the kits; separate part.

Another guy on this site had a helluva time with those J-tubes. Wound up breaking them off and then drilling to get the rest out. The book I have makes it look really easy to get out the nozzle... but the pictures where from an automotive application. I guess you could try a screw bit, with a 1/4 inch drive universal joint, extension and ratchet, but you may have trouble getting enough torque.

The kit does come with a new accelerator pump diaphragm, but you keep your nozzle in there anyway. Do you remember if you were getting a good pump shot?

The book I read strongly recommended against further dissembling the throttle body (base as you called it), because the throttle plate screws are such a PITA to get out and then re-stake on re-assembly. But they said not to soak it, because the throttle plate shafts have tiny nylon bushings that could get damaged by the carb cleaner.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 5:33pm
J tubes are easily removed by driving a very small flat blade under the "bulb" at the base.   use a larger screw driver to pry it up the rest of the way.   The tubes are about half an inch or so long, and they don't twist   (don't ask how I know :))     Yes, you will need to take the choke plate off to get the accel pump nozzle out.   

To note :    some of the older model carbs had a steel ball inside the the accel pump nozzle, make sure you pay attention to how that all comes apart, as the "instruction sheet" is not too clear on that area.   
Good luck!
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 12:24am
[QUOTE=Dreaming] J tubes are easily removed QUOTE]

define easily

i tried...but, not very hard. didn't seem wort the trouble to me. i was able to get the accel pump nozzle out with a rube goldberg extension set up. i also took the secondary diapragm assy apart too...why not. can I get a new one at NAPA or is this a "marine" specific part??
regarding not soaking the throttle body...are there any passages I should try to blow out with carb cleaner?? the butterflies move smoothly so i'm not too worried about it.

nozzle out

nozzle parts

rube goldberg

secondary diaphragm assy disassembled

i noticed this bushing/spacer on the choke butterfly linkage...is it ok to soak?? it doesn't seem to do much and would be a PITA to get out (J tube). also, how long should I soak all this stuff...hour, day, winter??
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 12:58am
Unless you have some old school carb cleaner I'd put it in.The new stuff is not as strong as it used to be.Soak it for a couple hours scrub it with a stiff bristle brush and use some aerosol carb cleaner for the passageways.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 10:04am
If you don't mind paying shipping, you can get your secondary diaphram here: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HOL135-4
I can't imagine it's marine specific but I'd want to get a real Holley one.

As far as air passages in the main body, the book I have said there are a few, but only a few air passages and restrictions. Other than... the venturis themselves
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

If you don't mind paying shipping, you can get your secondary diaphram here: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HOL135-4
I can't imagine it's marine specific but I'd want to get a real Holley one.

i don't want to pay shipping...i'll see what i can find locally.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 11:54pm
got some work done over thanksgiving and now starting to put it all back together. I have 2 questions that i'm hoping you guys can help with.

1) Do I need to check/adjust the float level?? if so, what should it be??
2) Regarding the vent baffle (black plastic piece) in the last picture...is it in the correct location/orientation??

soaked all the big parts at my dads place and blew out everything with compressed air

primary metering block clean

fuel/air screws and new cork gaskets

these are all the parts that came in the rebuild kit from DIM. honestly some of the parts don't appear to be as high quality as the old parts.

primary metering block rebuilt

i couldn't find a new secondary diaphragm locally and ended up ordering a new one from DIM. old is on the left.

secondary and choke back on

secondary metering block rebuilt. 2 gaskets came in the kit that could have gone between the secondary metering block and the secondary metering block plate...i used the one that looked like the old one...second time (and maybe last) i've used my "clutch" head bit...

is the vent baffle in the correct orientation??
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 1:24am
Take it to your auto parts store and have them boil it before re-assembling.

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 1:37am
Ok...here comes my OCD kicking in.

When you need to take pictures of something very close up, zoom all the way OUT and look for this logo on your camera:

That's what is called "macro mode". It's a fancy term for 'super up close focusing'.

Here are a few shots I took with macro mode:

Thanks for the informative 'how-to' though. Very informative.

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 9:17am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

what???
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 9:19am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Ok...here comes my OCD kicking in.

When you need to take pictures of something very close up, zoom all the way OUT and look for this logo on your camera:

i'm familiar with macro mode...the fuel/air screw and accelerator pump nozzle photos above were taken with macro mode.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 10:50am
Did not know about macro mode. I was wondering what that tulip logo was on my camera for the last 4 years. I learn something on this site every day

Also don't know what the correct orientation for that vent baffle is.

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 11:27am
Thanks for the details Nick. Subscribed! I'm sure I'll need to refer to this in the future.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 1:36pm
according to this link the baffle orientation is correct
of course that is a 2 barrel 2300...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:03pm
i've been searching a bit regarding float level and found a variety of suggestions from "level with the top of the bowl" to 7/32" from the toe for the primary side and 5/16" for the secondary side...and even more info on this old cc fan thread...now i'm thinking to just leave them alone
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:12pm
It seems like "turn it upside down and make sure the top of the float is level/parallel with the top of the bowl" is the popular method.

It doesn't look like your carb has the externally adjustable floats. I don't think most of our marine ones have that, mine doesn't either.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

what???

Blowing it out with air will not remove built up varnish.

Tim
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

what???

Tim

Thats why he's soaking it (and then blowing it out with compressed air, presumably).

Ive never heard of "boiling" a carb... it sounds like a fancy kind of soaking? Do most auto parts stores have this capability?
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

what???

Tim

Thats why he's soaking it (and then blowing it out with compressed air, presumably).

Ive never heard of "boiling" a carb... it sounds like a fancy kind of soaking? Do most auto parts stores have this capability?

it was soaked, then i sprayed carb cleaner in the passages, then blew out with compressed air.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 2:58pm
We boil all our denim.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic