NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine overheating help!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine overheating help!
    Posted: September-25-2011 at 5:52pm
I have a 1978 ski tique with the ford 302 and the last time I took it out the temp was jumping around alot and even got up close to 200 before I shut it off. I took off the thermostat housing to change the thermostat itself and found that there isnt a thermostat in it. Also another problem I noticed is that when I crank up the motor the right side manifold is way warmer than the left (drivers side when I say left). And more water is coming out of the exhaust on the drivers side than on the problem warmer side. Anyone know what my problem could be?
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2011 at 7:27pm
also, we picked up a 160 degree thermostat to see if it would possibly help the issue, yes i know we need a 140 it had to be ordered, but i was wondering if this is the correct way the thermostat should face?
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2011 at 11:55pm
Thats the right way. The correct 143 deg. one will be a highflow and look a bit different.   

Do you have a water strainer in the suction water line? Its between the water pickup in the bottom of the boat and the transmission cooler if there is. If not you might want to pull the transmission inlet water hose and see if there are pieces of weeds or other debris partially blocking the ends of the tubes.

Then there is the question of what condition the water impeller is in?
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 12:31am
Ok thanks

Theres not a strainer in the suction line. I havent checked the transmission inlet yet, but i will do that tomorrow.

As far as the water impeller... The raw water pump is supposedly fairly new, according to the guy i bought the boat from. I took the outlet line off off the RWP, idk how much its supposed to pump, but it is pumping water. Now as far as the water pump on the engine, idk what condition its in.

And to be clear, the manifold on the port side is hotter than the starboard
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 12:57am
Might try connecting a water hose and run it in the driveway.
This will provide pressurized water and will/should keep the motor
cool even if the impellor is defective.

If the water hose keeps it cool, would point to impellor being the
issue.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 1:55am
one manifold is always hotter than the other, but you should be able to keep your hand on it.

Was the overheating occurring during sustained cruise or idle?
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 2:41am
I tried running it with the hose pipe and it seemed to do ok, no over heating, and an even amount of water was coming out both exhaust. But then i took the suction hose loose from the intake and stuck it in a bucket to run it as it would normally run in the water, and it started to run hot again; port side hotter than starboard, less water coming out port exhaust. I disassembled the port manifold and the gasket was blocking one hole for the water, which i fixed. I checked everything and all holes were free of clogs. Reassembled and started. Port side ran a little cooler, but not much.

And it will overheat idling

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 2:47am
There's a position for the riser gasket and I believe one hole is blocked. Dont touch if you dont know or you will end up with more problems that you originally had.

One manifolds ALWAYS runs hotter than the other, but not so hot you cant touch it.

Have it running on the bucket and take the hose to the t-stat or one going to a manifold out, the pressure should not allow you to block the hose with your hand/finger.

Start considering a pump rebuild and a new riser gasket to replace the one you ruined.
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 4:08am
Thank you for letting me know i ruined the gasket.

Are you talking about the raw water pump?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 11:21am
Yep, gotta replace that riser gasket. The blocked passage forces water to the top, and it sounds like you need a new impeller.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 11:47am
Originally posted by THEKING00 THEKING00 wrote:

Are you talking about the raw water pump?

Yes, the bronze one driven by a belt. That's the one pumping the cooling system. The other is a circulating pump for the block.

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Yand it sounds like you need a new impeller.

Or a pump rebuild, you will know when you have it apart. We see it a lot down here with our "brown water", happens when ran dry too.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 3:24pm
This article is useful for the impeller if you've never done it before:
http://www.aquaskier.com/articles/impeller_replacement.htm

Make sure you maintain the position of your set screw... Of course, there is a chance it is currently facing the wrong way, which could be part of the problem.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 10:15pm
you need to inspect the mating surfaces on the impeller housing, not just replace the impeller.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

you need to inspect the mating surfaces on the impeller housing, not just replace the impeller.

Yes!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 1:32am
Update

I took the RWP off today and checked everything out. I noticed many small pieces of rubber that looked like pieces of the impeller in the suction line, and a few pieces jammed in the suction port of the RWP. I figured the RWP was shot, but when i disassembled it, the impeller looked new. I cleared all the pieces of rubber out of the suction hose and the pump. I started the boat up and now shes pulling A LOT more water than before. I only ran for a min because of the gasket issue, but there was pretty much an equal amount of water coming out the port and starboard exhaust. The engine is still running warm, but that could be due to the incorrect thermostat, which will be replaced this week.

The question im stuck with now is, where did the pieces of rubber come from? When i purchased the boat about 3 months ago, the previous owner told me that he had just replaced the RWP. Is it possible that the pieces of rubber are just remnants of the old pump that the guy didnt clean out?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 2:04am
besides "looking good", are the blades still bent out of the housing? how's the surface of the pump cover and the housing bottom?
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 2:16am
No, the blades are not still bent out the housing. The surface of the pump cover and housing seemed ok, of course i didnt know exactly what to look for as far as damages. I just looked for gouges and scrapes on the housing and in the inside of the pump cover.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 12:43pm

The question im stuck with now is, where did the pieces of rubber come from? When i purchased the boat about 3 months ago, the previous owner told me that he had just replaced the RWP. Is it possible that the pieces of rubber are just remnants of the old pump that the guy didnt clean out?

Not pieces of the old pump necessarily, pieces of the old impeller. Sounds like the impeller failed and they just put in a brand new pump.

If they never disassembled the old pump, they never would have seen the the impeller inside had shredded and strewn it's bits everywhere.

It's sounds like you're well on your way    Get the correct stat and you should be good, just keep an eye on your temps for the first few hours or run time in case you have more impeller bits   
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 12:59pm
Careful when you install the new impeller. The holes would not aligned perfectly and that can lead you into screwing the bolts wrong. Being made out of bronze it will strip the thread easily. That was my first lesson learned. I had to install Heli-coil. My trick is that usually one hole aligns. Put one of the bolt in by hand as far as you can, then you move it and align the other holes, install screw by hand, don't over tight them.
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 8:25pm
I installed the new 143 thermostat today, along with the new manifold gasket. Everything is work great, but my temp gauge was saying that it was running at 200F idling. I didnt see how this was possible, so i turned the motor off, removed the temp sender, and stuck a thermo-probe down into the water. It read 150F. I quickly re-installed the sender, and the gauge again said the temp was at 200F. I replaced the sender about a week ago when the boat started running hot with a new one from the automotive store. Would it be possible that the sender i got was the wrong sender for the gauge?, because there is a 40 to 50 degree difference in the reading from gauge and the reading from the thermo-probe.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 9:14pm

the automotive store.

I will give you a hint where your problem is, neither "the" nor "store"...
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 2:31am
I appreciate the hint

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 8:42am
not given,
Ohm out the sender at several temps to make sure you have the correct Ohm range to match the gauge. What range did you get?

Hopefully you didn't shop at Autozone!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic