Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

regular oil or synthetic

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: regular oil or synthetic
    Posted: August-24-2005 at 11:32pm
I have 91 SN with 1250 hrs. We put about 50 hrs plus on the boat each month. I change the oil every 75 to 100 hrs . I was thinking about using synthetic oil on the next oil change.
Worried that synthetic my cause a problem on this well used engine that shows no signs of wear or any drop in performance so far . Anyone out there have any comments on synthetic oil used on an older motor that has always used regular oil previously.
Any comments would be greatly appreicated I was going to use Quaker state high mileage formula .
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 9:50am
Quit causing arguments......just make sure you don't run out of oil.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 11:46am
You may have just opened Pandora's Box. Prepare for many comments/opinions/arguments with no clear direction to be found at the end.

In short, consult your owners manual (which will say synthetic offers no benefits)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 11:52am
Do you really want to start this all over again???????

Anyway use what you want just be cautioned that the syn has a tendancy to leak around oil seals. so if you don't have any leaks now you will if you use it.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 12:51pm
FWIW only! I agree with 79nautique. Synthetic oil MIGHT cause the seals to leak on an engine of your vintage. Might not, but could. Otherwise, no harm would be done to the engine.

My OPINION: stick with what you have been using. Since you use the boat so often, you interval is probably ok even though it exceeds the recommendation. Oil additives improve all the time, so longer intervals can be realized. Others will say I am full of it, so remember, this is only my OPINION and you must ultimately do what you are comfortable in doing.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 2:49pm
I'll start using synthetic oil on the same day I start drinking synthetic beer and pull a synthetic skier with a boat full of synthetic girls.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 6:07pm
Jim:

I bet you have a head start on the last item. Hard to not have these days
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 7:09pm
synthetic beer ? I'am cool w/that,hmmmmm.... great taste or lees filling? I have already had a few synthetic girls in my time!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 5:38am
Thank you for the info . You guys had me at oil leaks. Nothing like rainbow colored water going by when your sitting on your swim grid getting ready to go in the water.

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 2:30pm
Synthetic beer ...girls...you mean inflatable dolls? Blow them up...looks like you have friends, they don't drink your beer and they can be tossed to a drowning person! makes good sense to me!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Bill B View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2005 at 9:53pm
Pure,not blend, Synthetic oil is far superior then anything out there today, bar none. It contains none of the harmful additives used in multi oils, asphalt base and or mineral.
All performance equipment pleasure or other equipment use it, and I would put a tow boat in that class.
You only get what you pay for. They have come a long way in oils today. There are no downfalls from this oil, however it is expensive.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 1:33pm
Amen! Why do I keep adding fuel to the fire?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 1:00am
'Cause it's fun.....and certainly entertaining.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2005 at 3:44am
If you want to lose your bearings then use the synthetic oil. You should only use synthetic oil from day one on a new motor. As for the synthetic girls......They don't go to the fridge/cooler and get you a beer. As for the synthetic beer....it is called SHARPS or O'dules and both are a bad idea unless you are the designated driver. I think a gay guy could be called a synthetic girl, butt that is a dirty thought. Just do what is recommended for your boat.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2005 at 10:09am
BS,
Fact,
Synthetic oil eats nothing, it great and contains none of the additves that are harmful as used in mineral or asphalt oil.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2005 at 12:37pm
To my knowledge, there is no data to support the rumor that synthetic oil causes bearing failure in old engines.

The only issue is seals. Petroleum based oil causes slight swelling of the seals...hence no leaks. Synthetic does not cause sweling, so the old seals can shrink a bit and cause leaking.

To each his own...
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2005 at 12:44pm
I need all the swelling I can get. Plus some.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic