NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1950 CC Junior Utility Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

The sizing process is sure time consuming

I like photobucket for that reason. Once you set the parameters(size,etc), all of your future uploads are automatically adjusted.

There's a thread on here that tells how to use it.

Photobucket.com

Thanks for the heads up on the photobucket thread Buffalo. Will check it out.

I did have the persuader out to coax the brass bolts in gently.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 12:00am
Thanks for the kind words. You are moving along at a great pace! Took me almost 9 months to restore my 73 Skier. Well worth every minute after the beautiful summer I have just spent with my family enjoying the boat. The biggest perk has been meeting all the great people on this website. The amount of collective knowledge is overwhelming!

Also glad you tracked down the fir. That white oak was way too expensive. Fir is such a beautiful wood. I hated having to cover it all up in a thick cap of fiberglass. I carved this out of one of the original stringers and put it in old mechanical fuel cell gauge window. Thought just a little of it should be seen!

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. You are moving along at a great pace! Took me almost 9 months to restore my 73 Skier. Well worth every minute after the beautiful summer I have just spent with my family enjoying the boat. The biggest perk has been meeting all the great people on this website. The amount of collective knowledge is overwhelming!

Also glad you tracked down the fir. That white oak was way too expensive. Fir is such a beautiful wood. I hated having to cover it all up in a thick cap of fiberglass. I carved this out of one of the original stringers and put it in old mechanical fuel cell gauge window. Thought just a little of it should be seen!

I'd say you breathed a bit of life into that old scrap of stringer material. Real nice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 12:21am
As we try to solve the mystery or the paint I am adding a few pictures of stem scraps and transom. Will await comments. As Popeye always said, "wimens is a miskery to me". Same holds true on this old woody.

bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 12:24pm
figured id breath a little life back into this thread with a pic of me and jacks first boat rejuvenation project....
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2011 at 6:56pm
Not sure if this helps the paint sleuthing at all but if you follow this link and scroll down a bit, there is what is referred to as a Cute Correct Craft
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 1:14am
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

figured id breath a little life back into this thread with a pic of me and jacks first boat rejuvenation project....
Thanx but we would rather see more pics of the woody, plenty of plastic boats here, start a seperate tread to show off your wares.....................Boar dr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 11:57am
My son Burton is proud of his Nautique which was indeed our first adventure in string replacement. Have to say it was a lot more work pulling out all the flotation than just taking apart like the junior, but I didn't do that part. I was lucky to be held in reserve for my woodworking skills. As much fun as the Nautique offers and with all respect to it's power, I still have a soft spot for woodies and so does Burton. Good thing we don't have storage like we used to or there just might be a few more around. Time will tell.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

Not sure if this helps the paint sleuthing at all but if you follow this link and scroll down a bit, there is what is referred to as a Cute Correct Craft

Checked out the boat dip. The old Dart would be a woody for anyone. The CC referred to as "cute" gives a good port side view or a classic painted craft. Too bad no age information. Looks like new deck ply. I miss the fluting on the new decks. Think if I had to replace mine I would take the time to flute the new piece but the original still has good integrity.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 11:37am
Time does fly and as our obligations to others take over. sometimes our preferred activities take second place. Such has been the case with our junior utility which I placed in my daily path so as to always remind me of the challenges ahead and the fun that also lies in store. Little by little my son and I have removed putty and old screws to release the port side hull material. Seems as if every piece of ply on the hull has had some repair although it is not extensively hacked up. When the other three sections are off I need to make a decision as to what can be salvaged and what needs replacement. Well executed repairs below the water line in areas that are to receive paint are of less concern to me than those that must be clear coated and are up for All eyes to see. Perhaps I'd consider replacing one or both or these but I am not aware of the availability of long marine ply any longer. I know it can be fingered together with a CNC process but this will not look so good to my way of thinking. I'll be posting some pictures of what we have soon but wanted to refresh this topic and dust it off along with the boat. Spring is closing in.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 11:53am
Jack,
At best, you may be able to find 10' sheets of ply but they will not give you the length needed. So, you had better figure on scarf joining 8 foot'rs. It is NOT finger jointed. Since the face veneer on modern ply is 1/64" or less, care must be taken with the scarf joint - you have no roomto do any sanding. I suggest pre finishing the face and then cutting the scarf. Then, when the epoxy comes out of the scarf, you can quickly wipe it off and it will not seal the face preventing the face veneer from taking a stain.

DO NOT clear coat the hull. Stick with the best Spar varnish you can find. I use Flagship. I have seen some major problems with people thinking they can put a automotive clear coat on wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 12:46pm
Pete, it is available finger jointed. I don't need a debate on every comment I post however I still appreciate the input. The repairs I intend to make will be on painted areas only, so, staining is of no concern either. Marine plywood which I have 3 thicknesses in stock, has a face veneer of slightly over 1/16 in. I would never use a product available in Home Depot for a hull material. My labors are much to precious. It seems probable that others have had similar situations and I hope to get more input especially on the bow repair.

Regarding my comment about the clear finish, I loosely group any finish without pigment into the category of clear. sorry the vocabulary is misleading. Again my momma didn't raise no fools and I have the collective reasoning developed enough such that I do know the difference between auto finishes and boat finishes. In as much as I wouldn't use HD Luan ply for a boat the same holds true with auto clear finish. I will look into the Flagship varnish you recommend. Thanks.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:28pm
Both port and starboard side panels are off. Yesterday I removed the transom plywood and was surprised to find a composite of two layers of ply. Seems like a 1/4 panel of mahogany ply was applied to a 3/8 fir underlayment. This the first fir I have found on the boat. Of most interest to me was the hand written number 775 in blue crayon between the layers. This number was written with determination. could it perhaps be the boat serial number? I have taken many pictures and will take the time to post them soon.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 11:55am
Has any other found two layers of ply used for the transom? Looks to be original construction. Still trying to figure out the #775. Wondering if it is not the numbering of boats built as they are produced. Has anyone seen this also? I know I need to send pics.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 12:06pm

Still trying to figure out the #775. Wondering if it is not the numbering of boats built as they are produced.

That's my guess. I suppose it's possible that it was marked because it was a special order.

This would be a great conversation on the shore of Robin Lake.     
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 12:09pm
Jack,
The two layers are the way CC made them. I had it in my Atom and I believe Billy has it on his Dart. It's like a planked hull with double layers.

The 775 is most likely a part number.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

My story was just getting good.   
1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 12:19pm
Have never found the serial # cause the deck has been replaced and along with it went the number I think. The motor serial # puts in in the 50's though. Have seen other hand written identification on the boat but this is different. Written in bold blue crayon and almost decorative. Perhaps someone just enjoying their job too much.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

My story was just getting good.   

Hey Greg how about this- It was built in July of 1975 as a reproduction and thats why it has no serial plate
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 6:03pm
Just picked up a couple sticks of Honduran mahogany to fix up the transom and a couple other areas. At $10.50 bd. ft it can be very painful. Just part of the pleasure of the experience and I do feel good knowing I can still find and use the wood that is original to the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 7:15pm

Just picked up a couple sticks of Honduran mahogany to fix up the transom and a couple other areas. At $10.50 bd. ft it can be very painful. Just part of the pleasure of the experience and I do feel good knowing I can still find and use the wood that is original to the boat.

Jack,
You are going to plank the transom? If so, single on battens or double? 5200?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 8:32pm

Jack,
You are going to plank the transom? If so, single on battens or double? 5200?

No plank on the transom Pete. Might even be able to reinstall the original ply's. I need to fix areas on the frame. Specially the bent pieces at the deck area.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 8:50pm
Jack,
Got you now. When you mentioned transom, I wasn't thinking about the transom frames.

What else are you finding with the ply pulled off?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 10:17pm

Jack,
Got you now. When you mentioned transom, I wasn't thinking about the transom frames.

What else are you finding with the ply pulled off?

Actually not too bad so far for rot on frames. I have been taking pictures but much as I love this new ipad I can't load pics so need time on the other computer to do that. Need to flip the boat as soon as I can get it outside. Not enough ceiling clearance. I don't expect miracles but think there will minimal repair from my poking around. Question becomes do I save panels or replace? There needs to be a honest thought process as to how important to save the original stuff with it's inherent spirit and history as opposed to just scrapping the stuff. I want to give the original pieces a chance if possible. Will be challenging my scarf making skills but I do posses the ability to sharpen a chisel which is invaluable in the process.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 10:33pm
Jack,
I'm glad to hear you are flipping it as well and assume you will then be pulling the bottom off too. This is very good since it's likely you will need inner and outer keel work. It's a real bad spot since the difference in their widths makes the rabbit the ply fits too and it really holds the water.

New ply? That's got to be up to you. I really can't tell from the pictures if the original ply can be salvaged and will take a decent stain and finish. I've seen way too many cover up stain jobs that were "painted" so you can't even see the grain.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 10:46pm

Jack,
I'm glad to hear you are flipping it as well and assume you will then be pulling the bottom off too. This is very good since it's likely you will need inner and outer keel work. It's a real bad spot since the difference in their widths makes the rabbit the ply fits too and it really holds the water.

New ply? That's got to be up to you. I really can't tell from the pictures if the original ply can be salvaged and will take a decent stain and finish. I've seen way too many cover up stain jobs that were "painted" so you can't even see the grain.

Well, it's all coming off as you told me from the start and I do expect to find more damage for sure. Patches on the ply below the water line will be more forgiving than those top side. May need to make some hipped patches and fit all sides in. I will be using the 5200 no question.

Sure wish I was back in Fl for the Lake Dora event coming up.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 1:09am
jr., karen and I leave La. Tuesday afternoon, with our woody in tow. We will enter our boat on Thursday and Friday,this is the best show we have ever been to.
Then we have SJRR 2012 on Sat & Sun , should be 35 CC of all years show up for the event, wish you could be there....Billy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:02am
I don't know about July of '75 or part #775. If it was a part #, would that suggest sequence? It would be quite the puzzle!

I was thinking that they probably had a good idea of what they were building, so maybe this one got the conspicuous number to remind someone to check the build sheet.

It's speculation only. My guess comes from the way I leave myself reminders in the process of something.
1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

jr., karen and I leave La. Tuesday afternoon, with our woody in tow. We will enter our boat on Thursday and Friday,this is the best show we have ever been to.
Then we have SJRR 2012 on Sat & Sun , should be 35 CC of all years show up for the event, wish you could be there....Billy

This one is on my bucket list for next year. Would be a homesteader in Fl but the wife is not quite ready. I expect it will happen soon and I plan to have a look at the Sunny Land Chapter. This is one of the better boat shows I'm told. Have been to the wooden boat show held in Port Townsend twice but those boats are in a different league. I prefer to browse the old runabouts and utilities. Bet you'll see me there next year Billy and looking I'm forward to it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 12:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic