NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1950 CC Junior Utility Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 891011>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 9:53am
Working my way down the keel and the home stretch on the gusset replacements. Been dividing my time between the various junks sitting in the yard and garage. Short season is winding down and the Jr will be ready for it's hull material come next spring when I return for Fl. Meanwhile I need to get the Star Flite shoe horned into the garage before winter and I think there will be very little room to work after that.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2014 at 11:40am
Well here it is another tough winter season has passed and I have returned to CT for more work on the old Jr. There was good progress made last summer and my goal is to get the hull material back on in the next couple months. We shall see how that goes. I have been measuring and trying to determine how many sheets of ply it will take to cover her and the dimensions allow for careful layout or a lot of waste. As it is I think it will take five sheets to do it. Wondering if you also used 3/8 on your 1954 hull Pete.
Time roll up sleeves and get to work....

The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2014 at 12:17pm
Keep on it Jack...not so sure your helper wood have much to say ....don't let him use the glue.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2014 at 8:58pm
Jack,
Yes, 3/8 on the hull and 1/4 on the deck doubled up at the forward edge of the cockpits. I was able to reuse the hull ply since it's painted. The deck took 4 sheets. I of course didn't ask the the suppler to color match the deck ply so it was quite a nightmare with bleaching to get them to a point where they would take a stain equally!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Keep on it Jack...not so sure your helper wood have much to say ....don't let him use the glue.

Roger.

Really all he does is guard the boat in my absence Roger. Glue got him into the situation he is in.
Was a pleasure getting to know you folks at SJRR.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:33am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
Yes, 3/8 on the hull and 1/4 on the deck doubled up at the forward edge of the cockpits. I was able to reuse the hull ply since it's painted. The deck took 4 sheets. I of course didn't ask the the suppler to color match the deck ply so it was quite a nightmare with bleaching to get them to a point where they would take a stain equally!!

This boat has 3/8 decking and it is workable so it stays. It may have been replaced since it is bonded down with resourcinol(sp) and I don't think CC did that. The job was well done and they took pains to route the detail properly so I have opted to work around it. There is some chaffing at the edges I need to deal with when the time comes. As for the hull material Pete, I bought sequence matched ply sheets, so, they should stain alright on the sides for a match. Will be making my saw ready to do the scarf joints in the coming week.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:36am
.[/QUOTE]
Really all he does is guard the boat in my absence Roger. Glue got him into the situation he is in.
[/QUOTE]

Sniffing it Jack? his eyes look a little glazed over---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Sniffing it Jack? his eyes look a little glazed over---[/QUOTE]

....can't you tell by the look in his eyes Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:44am
Ok, this is serious. First ply fit and ready to go on today....

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 8:03pm
Jack,
I didn't mention my transom ply. It's double 1/4. I guess CC thought it would be easier to bend.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 10:20am
Pete, this one had 1/4 fir ply under 1/4 mahogany. here you see the final layer installed. it does make for a nice substantial assembly.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 10:24am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

oh almost forgot the transome progress...

this earlier post shows the sub ply
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 9:11am
Nice grain on the mahogany transom ply Jack ... with a good stain that will pop... great to meet you and Burton at SJRR rebuilding the boats together (mostly)will be golden times.

I also like to make joints straight off a fine saw blade...when gluing for the best bond.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 11:26am
A few more progress pictures

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 12:47am
I have the rest of this month and all of August to get as much done to this boat as I can for the season. Pushing on toward a flip someday.

First sheet of hull material in the fit. Need to hone in my scarph joint skills soon...

Laid out the 3in. slash or scarph and removed the material with the hand plane. Numerous sharpenings with the stone the only option.

Crisp and clean cut

...and the dry fit

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:38pm

It has been three years in progress this coming month. Much of it part time and seasonal. Still there will be no floating this year but I venture a guess next summer. A long trip and a great education which we can never get enough of it is said. The hull is finally going together and I see on our CCFan site today a boat I have been watching of similar vintage. I think ours may be the oldest Jr around? Anyways the 1954 tagged on the for sale CL stuff has been reduced to $3500.00. It has a similar color scheme to ours but no splash rails. Sad that these old CC boats fetch such little value although it is no surprise to me. A labor of love to be sure. I am in hopes that the Starflite has some better long term value but wouldn't bet on it.

Time to get her done and move on
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 7:53pm
It has been a good long while on this boat. Life has gotten in the way but I am determined to follow through on the project. Truth be known it is my favorite of the boats we own. After a few neglectful summer's I have brought the unfinished hull to FL to complete it. That is where I spend my time. Have it set up in my carport and good working condition. Just glued up the first of the scarph joints I made some time ago. Wish to post pictures but since photobucket pulled the fast one I have not got that figured out. Could use a little help.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 8:23pm
Looking fwd to seeing it floating someday.

Now we need to get Pete to restart his launch project!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 8:44pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2018 at 9:05pm
Jack,
Looking great. Keep the pictures coming.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2018 at 10:34am
I have bonded the panels on the bottom. Sides to come soon. Time to start thinking about a filler for the screw holes. Was about to start cutting plugs till I remembered taking putty out of all the holes originally. I need a stainable filler for above the water line and perhaps a different filler for below. Seems the below waterline aren't stainable. I don't think Correct Craft concerned itself with such matters but with modern materials I thought I'd try to get it right. Any input would appreciated.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2018 at 10:48am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2018 at 11:12am
Jack,
Famowood for the bright work and epoxy filled with a sandable wood flower filler on the bottom painted ply.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2018 at 11:18am
Could I not thicken the epoxie with cabosil for the bottom then Pete? Can get some wood flour no problem also.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2018 at 11:25am
Jack,
When you get to the Famowood fills I have a tip. I found out the hard way. Make a "mask" out of thin sheet metal shim stock. Punch a hole in it the same dia. of the bung hole and use it when you fill the hole with the filler. If you don't, the Famowood will get into the surrounding open grain of the wood and then when you go to the filler stain stage, the Famowood will show up around the fill.

Also, when you shop for the Famowood, use the solvent type.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Could I not thicken the epoxie with cabosil for the bottom then Pete? Can get some wood flour no problem also.

Yes, you can but if the fill is rough and needs to be sanded, the wood flower is just easier to sand. You still have the integrity and water proofing of the epoxy with the flower. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2018 at 11:30am
I remember your tip on the filler application and have used it. Works very well and I do have my work cut out filling and sanding holes for sure.
I noticed the famowood comes in color selection. Guess I should match the mahogany and find a supplier with a selection. Will get the one with solvent as you advise.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2018 at 9:47am
Coming down the home stretch on fitting and installing the hull material. Just interested if anyone has reskinned one of these hulls. When I laid out the first of the gunnel stock I found that the first sheet going back from the bow is over 8 ft long. More like 97in. I decided to make a second joint which ended up about 20 in in from the transome. as I lay out the other side it occured to me that maybe I could get 97in out of the front piece by cutting it out of the sheet at a bias. not sure this will get me there but will tell in due time. this would be preferable to the second joint.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2018 at 10:22am
Jack,
Did you scarf the decking which would then shorten the 8 foot sheets a few inches? My Atom deck was butt joined (hull sides and bottom scarfed) so I had plenty of ply length. But, the Jr. is also 1 foot longer so I can see where you could end up short. Yes, I would skew the sheets slightly to get the needed length and have only one joint. With a slight skew, no one will be able to tell the slight difference in grain direction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2018 at 10:32am
The decking is salvageable Pete. I have been fitting to it in the sides and that has been a PITA itself. As I measure the old stuff that came off the sides the first sheet including the scarph was 97 followed by the second sheet which was 96 including the scarph. The lofting must have considered the available materials and looks like they worked hard to get advantage to the sheet length.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 891011>
  Share Topic