Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
theshadowconspiracy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Ignition
    Posted: July-24-2011 at 2:27pm
Can you guys let me know which is the best electronic ignition to go with on the 351 W . I have a 1985 SN 2001.

thanks

-Dan
1985 SN 2001
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 4:27pm
Don't get one of the conversion kits, such as ignitor. I've used 3 different makes and they all worked for about 20 hours before becoming unreliable.

Just last week I installed a DUI from Performancedistributor.com. Posted on here before ordering asking if it was anything good. Everyone said it was. I installed it last week and so far has been great. I have the 350 instead of 351 but they have models for the ford too.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 4:41pm
I firmly believe that reliability on the conversion kits mostly depends on the whole installation of the ignition system.

I've been using a Prestolite conversion for the last 3 years and around 200 hours.

Anyway if money's not an issue, get a new electronic distributor.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 8:25pm
Dan,
What are you expecting out of the EI? I went 28 years on a point set on my Y block. Nothing wrong with that!! Have you done engine mods and are turning a higher RPM?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 8:37pm
For reliability . I don't trust the points. I really don't want to be "that guy" being towed back from the sand bar when the boat won't fire. Points do wear, I'm amazed yours are 28 years old. I'm looking at the petronix. I just know my luck so I figured I would try some preventative maintainence.
1985 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by theshadowconspiracy theshadowconspiracy wrote:

For reliability . I don't trust the points. I really don't want to be "that guy" being towed back from the sand bar when the boat won't fire. Points do wear, I'm amazed yours are 28 years old. I'm looking at the petronix. I just know my luck so I figured I would try some preventative maintainence.

Dan,
Sorry but it's well documented here that the point set is actually more reliable and the point I was trying to make. If you have a problem with a point set, all it takes is to clean them up with something like a finger nail file. That will get you back to the dock. With the EI conversion, if it goes out, you're SOL unless you have a spare on board!!

Do you have a problem setting the dwell?

What specifically don't you like about the point set????? Have you been listening to the "bling" about EI conversions? Do you know how many years a point set worked on the internal combustion engine? It was after the turn of the century after early ignition systems like the open contactor was phased out. That's over 100 years!!!!

Please tell us where or who is misinforming you. You haven't bee over on WB'r or WW have you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2011 at 10:49pm
Dan,
I'll sell you the one I had in my '85 till I went with a new electronic distributor.
I'll sell it for 60 bucks if you like it keep it if not send it back and I'll refund the 60 bucks.
pheinbach@hotmail.com
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 12:41am
Dan - Pertronix has the worst reputation of all of the kits, FWIW.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Fibersport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 2:10am
A spare set of points and a condenser are much cheaper than a spare electronic module. I had a VW bug and went the electronic route, both sets lasted 20,000 miles before they burne out. I also had a set of points break as well (the rubbing block broke) but I would not go electronic on a boat unless it was a magnetic trigger. Mallory makes both magnetic and LED triggered units but the magnetic seems to be less popular. {In any case, I'm staying with points, the way I look at it, in my car I can always walk home if it goes out, I personally have not mastered walking on water .....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 2:32am
Thanks for all the input guys, the only reason I was thinking about going this route was my friend who owns a Malibu skier brought it up to me. He changed his boat over to EI and raved about it. My boat runs flawless, if you guys think keeping the points in it is the way to go; then I will absolutely take your excellent advice and keep the points in the boat. Should I get a spare set just in case?
1985 SN 2001
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I firmly believe that reliability on the conversion kits mostly depends on the whole installation of the ignition system.

I've been using a Prestolite conversion for the last 3 years and around 200 hours.

Anyway if money's not an issue, get a new electronic distributor.

I would agree for the most part, however, I am a professional mechanic.

And as far as points reliability goes, they are very reliable. In fact, to this day every new piston airplane still runs points set ups (and we're talking about million plus dollar airplanes). However, points do have their limitations. A HEI type distributor throws a lot more juice and is a lot less complicated. The whole reason I left the points in the first place was moisture. Couldn't keep the points dry. I don't known if it was the humidity in the air down here or what, but I was always cleaning and changing them. They ran great when they ran, but seems like I was fiddling with them every 20 hours or so.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
chop73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 7:46am

Do you have a problem setting the dwell?

How do you set the dwell?

I am have alot of troubles with spark.I have tried a different coil,plug wires and spark plugs. Some cylinders have weak or no spark. I am going to get a new rotor and cap and go from there. The boat is a '82sn with a ford 351 PCM with original style ignition. Any input or advice is welcome!
82 SN
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 6:49pm
Sorry I had to reply to this points vs EI... I would slap on the MSD pn 8354 Ei and forget about those points. You never have to worry about carrying around some nail file or sandpaper. I've owned a 72 and 84 both were notorious for moisture in the contacts.. We were constantly scraping between the contacts tto dry.. This may be do to the fact that in Orlando we have a high humidity as it will rain here everyday in the summer.. So if you have the moisture problem go electronic and forget the hassles...
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Distributors/Ford/Ready-to-Run/E-Curve/8354_-_Ford_351W_Ready-To-Run_Pro-Billet_Distributor.aspx
stan082
Rockster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 8:51pm
I have a an Igniter II for a prestolite IBM7008 Dist. as well as a flamethrower II coil to go with it if you interested. Brand new never used. I did not listen to what the big Kahunas were saying to me, EI sucks. Stick with points unless you change out the whole works. points are the way of the world.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by zeclops zeclops wrote:

Sorry I had to reply to this points vs EI... I would slap on the MSD pn 8354 Ei and forget about those points. You never have to worry about carrying around some nail file or sandpaper. I've owned a 72 and 84 both were notorious for moisture in the contacts.. We were constantly scraping between the contacts tto dry.. This may be do to the fact that in Orlando we have a high humidity as it will rain here everyday in the summer.. So if you have the moisture problem go electronic and forget the hassles...
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Distributors/Ford/Ready-to-Run/E-Curve/8354_-_Ford_351W_Ready-To-Run_Pro-Billet_Distributor.aspx

Stan,
I agree that the complete EI distributor is the way to go over just the conversion if you want to get rid of the point set. I'm sorry to here you have such a moisture problem down there. Tell me, how did all the cars
(automotive) make it though the 100 or so years of running a point set??

BTW, the link you provided for the EI distributor is a automotive vacuum advance. Are you some kind of hacker back yard mechanic that doesn't know about marine equipment??? DO NOT advise automotive on this site. Someone who doesn't know the difference may take your half as** advice.

Also, learn how to do a proper link on this site.

your link to the half as*** automotive

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 9:40pm
Pete, I've seen a Mallory (YL?) series electronic distributor, it's just a conventional distributor with the mallory EI conversion from factory... dont see why it would be superior to a conversion kit yet, besides the fact it's new and not 30 years worn.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Pete, I've seen a Mallory (YL?) series electronic distributor, it's just a conventional distributor with the mallory EI conversion from factory... dont see why it would be superior to a conversion kit yet, besides the fact it's new and not 30 years worn.

Luch.
OK, so the Mallory distributor is simply a stock unit with a EI modal in it??

Don't forget I got 28 years out of a point set without ANY filing/sanding the contact faces!!! Unbelievable? No. it'e true!! It started EVERY year and the contact faces weren't that worn. There's a thread on when I put the new point set in the X55. I'l see if I can find it.

This guy has been smoking something!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

And I went 28 years on a point set. Never touched them, never had a starting problem, never had a performance problem so I never was stuck out on the lake!

The point being is a point set is reliable and has been for years. A point set can be cleaned up out on the lake - You can't do that with a burnt out module so you need to carry a spare. Electronics can and are problematic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Luch.
OK, so the Mallory distributor is simply a stock unit with a EI modal in it??

That was my apreciation but I could be wrong...
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:03am
You are right Keith, I am a backyard hack, Florida Cracker that works on " Marine equipment " underneath an oak tree. Also I am new to this forum you die hard grand pubas seem too so much want to control via your response . So sorry my " 1/2 a$$ advice " with link attached was so over the top for you.... So I will tell you how all the cars made it through the last 100 years with " breakers ".. Because the system is good but not perfect and it has   been proven over time. However technology seems to catch up to us. So sorry my advice on " automotive " equipment was so upsetting to you and this forum. I kind of thought the " marine equipment " you so highly speak of is based on the automotive technology and the progress over time. Hey thats fine you keep your " points" to yourself.. Hey I'm also sorry the hyperlink was not attached properly. I'll do my best to figure out how to do a proper link to this site. BTW what car company manufactures   a breakerless system these days? No more advice, and that is advice with a " c " just in case you did not know how to spell will be coming from me since the opinions on this forum will be scrutinized so strongly from the master that you are.. Hey BTW thanks for all the info from everyone regarding the rear main seal on the 82 nautiqe. Keep shooting that film in your camera...
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:16am
Oops that was going to Peter not Keith whoever 8122 is. The Grand Master of all marine
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:49am
Oh yea one more thing Pete I have heard you got 28 years on a points set . Thats awesome..... Bring your dingy down here for a month and see how your breakerless system works in the rain for a year..
stan082
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:09am
You do know your not really helping your cause don't you? Pete has over the years gone out of his way to help people here.I have met the man and consider him a friend.If you don't like the way he does things,you are welcome to go elsewhere.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:39am
Originally posted by surroundsound64 surroundsound64 wrote:

Don't get one of the conversion kits, such as ignitor. I've used 3 different makes and they all worked for about 20 hours before becoming unreliable

I have a theory on this,I think it's down to distributor grounding. My Dads Shamrock was going thru condencers like crazy.Being a center consol it was hard to work on. He finally decided to go with a pertronix so he pulled the distributor to make it easier and found the clamp and the base of the distributor rusty.He cleaned it up and also ran a seperate ground from the distributor body to the block, and then installed the pertronix unit.1100 hours later when he sold it,it was still running strong. He also carried the parts and tools to change back to the points should he have a failure. By the way I too am still running points,I like the retro look of my Mallory YL mechanical tach drive flatcap distributor.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 10:29pm
Hey Grand poobah Gary nice to meet you . This Pete guy may have gone out of his way to help people but his arrogance is rediculous.. You are right I can go somewhere else to find info but the problem is I ended up here and was insulted with his 1/2 a$$ remarks about me.. You may be his friend and I'm not really trying to help my cause but I thought this was a forum and it's about helping others that may have a problem with whatever cc they are working on. So if you and this guy Pete like to be disrespectful to new people joining your forum   maybe you should go elsewhere and take you arrogant friend with you.. I could care a less about your forum status as you and this Peter guy have no idea who I know from C.C. and the connections I've made living 1 mile away from the factory the past 45 years here on lake conway. BTW thanks for your response.. It's been great.
stan082
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:49pm
I'm really glad for you that you know someone from the factory,wish I did. The next time you have trouble,why don't you ask them to help?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 7:39pm
Stan,
I'm sorry to hear that I must have "ruffled your feathers" BUT, I get real upset when someone comes on site and recommends automotive equipment on a marine engine hence the "back yard" comment. There are plenty of people that come to the site that may not know the difference and end up with a dangerous situation.

Hopefully one of these days our paths will cross and we'll have the opportunity to meet in person.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 7:57pm
You will find that a lot of people around here will give you their best advice and the reasons for it. Pete has been one of foundation pilar to this website and his advice comes with a lot of experience. After all, everybody got their reason. They will give you the best advice but at the end you make your own decision. I was told the same thing about point and they have a strong valid point. At the end I wanted changed them anyways. Somebody recommended the Mallory E-Spark optical conversion. I have it for three years and I am extremely happy with it. Just my 2 cents. The DUI is perfect but it comes with a price. The Mallory conversion was around $100.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 9:24pm
Tony,
Thanks much for backing me up. It's appreciated big time. I've learned to use the "emocicons" but sometimes it's still a problem communicating via written word. I really feel Stan needs to calm down and reread this thread!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 10:15pm
Pete,
    Don't worry about it. I know that without this website probably I won't be able to have a boat. People like you, Boat Dr, Tim, and others have helped me a lot. Everybody has different opinions but I think everybody offer a good solution after all, is free advice and really good. Even Chris, 79Nautique, helped me a lot even though he had a "STRONG" opinion sometimes. Those who know how, know, but clueless people like me this has been a gold mine of information and great friends. I was blown away the first time Boat Dr. would call me to help out and like him I had similar experience of people helping me. How about Luchog that is in the other end of the world and he is always helping. I dislike when people get a little personal. Is uneccessary IMO but I guess are entitle to comment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic