Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Replacement Section

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer Replacement Section
    Posted: July-17-2011 at 12:05am
Probably has already been brought up and I could find it by searching(pete is whooping it up green lake and won't scold me for asking without searching ). I think a section of the site should be dedicated to stringer replacement threads. With all the great work that has been done I think a compiled list in the reference section or somewhere similar would be great. Might already exist and I just can't find it.
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 12:40am
Here is a list of threads I was referred to when I started restoring my 1973 Skier. This will keep you busy for a few minutes. A rebuild section would be cool.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I think you'll find more than enough info here on the forums to answer any question that you have. Search, search, search- and read, read, read!

Here are some big hitters on stringer/floor jobs. My apologies to anyone I forgot. In no particular order:

Buffalo's '88 Barefoot Nautique

Skibum's '87 Ski Nautique rebuild (and his website)

aka's '83 SN

Wakeslayer's '68 Stang

Joe in NY's all composite 60mph Nautique rebuild

The Grinch's '79 BFN

UK79's '78SN

Hasbeenskier has also done a beautiful job restoring 2 '81's with composites... a SN and a BFN. He has numerous threads on each, so do some clicking and read those too.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Liledgy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liledgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 12:55pm
All I can say is WOW!!! I think I read 16 of the 23 pages of the boat that was in the hurricane. Some very talented people on this site. One of the posts said" CC been at it alot longer than me ( building stringers) so they must know more". I'm not sure I believe that. If nothing else, I know I will not buy a Pre 93 nautique (unless one of the professionals here rebuilt the stringers) because of the stringer issue on these boats. I may have to save a little more but I think financially, it's a no brainer. I am very surprised CC waited till 93 to take go with composite stringers. I have a feeling they new for a long time about this weak spot. I have read elsewhere of owners pouring poly or resin where the original stringers were, eliminating the wood and preventing rot from coming back. For all the work involved, that would seem like a much better solution than going back to a similar "original design". Putting wood back down when you know (eventually) it's going to rot seems like a (20-25 year) temporary solution.
    I'm anxious to read more topics on the stringer issues as it seems to be the only major weak spot on these boats. I think some of the members here should be research and development for CC but, am glad there here giving all kinds of great advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic