NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 16>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water behind a stringer
    Posted: November-03-2008 at 6:41pm
I have been working on the Mustang the last couple weeks. Steering cable, rudder packing, some wiring, cleaning up the bilge area.
I noticed a teeny puddle a couple of times near the pylon mount. Knowing I had wiped this out more than once, I cracked a beer and watched, and waited... About halfway through my beer, I see a little dribble coming from behind the primary starboard stringer approximately where the back of the drivers seat is. <sigh> <expletive NOT deleted>
While the floor panels were up I had poked around a little and had found one little damp spot on the starboard side below the gas tank, but that has since dried. I knew at some point i should probably pull the actual floor up and really look.
Apparently the when part has been decided for me...
I have a large heated shop and most, if not all the tools I will need. And the time, with 5+ months til the lake is ready again. My lovely wife thinks i always need a project going, and since I have recently finished renovating her horse barn, I may as well make her boat the next one.
I am starting the process of searching the forums, reading the Great Pumpkin story, etc.
I am going to need some help, ideas, and encouragement from the dudes here.
I would like to start getting after the floor tonight. I had read the circular saw method and the sawzall method. If by some reason my stringers are still good, I would like to have a reference point from the old floor, so I think I want to leave a couple inches around and go with the circular saw set very shallow, 1/4 - 3/8".
Any initial comments, moral support ? We'll be talking a lot over the winter !!

thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 6:58pm
Sawzall method is relatively safe quick, cicular saw a little scary and does leave that floor attached on the outside, if you ever need to take that off you could at least then see what the sawsall blade is duing under there. Fastest for almost everything cut is a good grinder with a diamond wheel. Sounds like a good winter time a comin.. good luck.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 7:00pm
Are you sure the water isnt coming from the battery box? My Skier's box has a drain into the bilge through the primary stringer in that location.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 8:19pm
WakeSlayer- I know the feeling, my dad and I are now planning on doing a complete floor/stringer job this winter on my 88SN. I'm just glad we have these guys on the site to help along the way!

I tore into our floor just a few days ago, haven't had that much fun in a long time!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2008 at 9:06pm
Positive on the battery box. Mine is raised up, and I have never seen water in it. The battery does not even go all the way into the floor under the drivers seat. I will take a pic of the suspicious hole, however, no two ways about it, I have water in there.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 2:37am
Into the fire with both feet.

I cut off the top of the floor on the entire starboard side from the battery box back this evening. The foam is nice and dry on the top half, and then soggy to sopping from there downward. The wood that I have exposed so far is wet on all sides. I have not found any rot yet. The water has got in between the foam and the glass, and once you get down that far, separates from the hull pretty easily. I was able to get about 4 feet worth of foam on the one side removed tonight. This is going to take a couple weeks just to get the foam out.
I do not think that the gouge in the gelcoat caused this as I thought earlier. Perhaps just wishful thinking.
I suspect that the motor mounts have been modified at some point to raise them up. I will post a pic later, I forgot my camera in my shop. One of my two lags holding the front starboard mount to the stringer had missed it entirely and was just sticking into the foam. I will be pulling the motor next weekend.

I am in for the long haul. I had really not planned on this this winter.

More to come.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 2:47am
Take a pitchfork to that foam it will be gone on the double quick and come out cleanly and in big chunks.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 3:33pm
A pitchfork? Wow. I can see that in the bigger open parts, I am just in the small sections next to the motor at the moment. No way to get one in there. I am starting to get over my fear of prying and such against the hull, and I am only using a putty knife at the moment.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I am only using a putty knife at the moment.

Holy hell.

Before you know it you'll be swinging a flat bar like a hammer and prying the foam out in big chunks. In larger areas, the pitchfork sounds like a good idea. The hull is thick, no need to be gentle!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2008 at 8:14pm
HA! s l o w l y figuring that out. Will graduate to the flat bar next. I was just getting a feel for it, and really pretty limited on room at first. I cut the that whole side's floor out and have more room. Of course, I only cut out a 12in square at first, because I had the only 40 year old dry boat in the world, except for that one little spot...   
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 12:35am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I am only using a putty knife at the moment.

Holy hell.

Before you know it you'll be swinging a flat bar like a hammer and prying the foam out in big chunks. In larger areas, the pitchfork sounds like a good idea. The hull is thick, no need to be gentle!

Tim I've got the picture in my head of The History Channel digging up dinosaur bones with a tooth brush
Hang in there Mike,I used a prybar and my favorite, a garden trowel
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 10:50am
I used a trowel and a sharp shooter shovel. By the time you finish, I bet you'll be surprised at the meathods you're using from start to end...I was!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 1:02pm
I used a gasket scraper on the mustang eventually moved to a flat bar, started with a flat bar on the 83 did maybe an eight of the foam the night I cut out the floor, next day I saw BKH suggest a pitch fork, half hour later all my foam was gone. Best part was that when it comes out in big chunks you dont have to scrape thin layers off the fiberglass as you can lose a lot of time there.

Similar story with the sawzall, it can be a big time saver, on the 2001 hulls the only place to use extra care with the sawzall is the pockets in the sides in the back two feet of the hull, they are only about an inch under the floor and if you follow the hull back with your blade too far back there you will not be happy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 1:58pm
I took a couple chunks out with the flat bar last night. that is way way better. The foam is coming off the fiberglass really easily. I will get a lot more done this evening, was pretty engrossed in the election coverage last night.
Man, I cannot believe how wet it is in there...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 5:52pm
once everything is cut out I will use a comercial de-humidifier to pull the rest of the water out until it is completely dry, with the cover on.
you could also substitute a dehumidifier with a window air conditioner and use the cover as a barrier to close things up. this process really speeds up the drying out process
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:19pm
That is exactly what I was going to do. Still nervous about what I will find on the wood, but so far so good. As far as appearance goes anyway...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 1:33am
I got some more foam ripped out tonight. The flat bar is way, way better. I am moving into pitchfork territory tomorrow night.
I have made a couple observations. Someone has clearly messed with this boat before as the motor mounts are goofy, non-matching, and have me a little concerned. I also think there has been a little work on the area around where the exhaust goes through the floor. I found a 1975 penny in the area under the floor behind the exhaust. Clearly, that is not original...
I feel like the wood looks really good considering the amount of water I have found. Still cautiously optimistic there. The only piece that I have found that is soft is a small flat piece of plywood, mounted perpendicluar, separating the chamber that the exhaust goes though from the frontmost part of that channel.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 8:14pm
I used a estwing claw hammer on my foam and it worked pretty good as well.Swung and buried the claw in the foam and pried up big chunks of that nasty crap.
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 11:30am
I made really good progress the last couple nights. Have a another garbage can and 8 bags out. I am sticking with the flatbar as it works great. I have the wrong pitchfork for doing this... You would have to have the one with the fat tines on it. The bow was totally dry. The starboard side of bow was soaked, but the port side was perfect and looks new under the foam. I also found what I believe to be the culprit. There is a 5-6 inch patchjob in front of the drivers seat. This had to have been patched from the outside, and could well be the reason the boat was painted, too. Will get the rest of the foam out today. Motor out tomorrow, then start drying for a few days. I am still really confident about the wood. Only a couple small cross supports appear to be suspect.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 11:59am
Mike,
Do drill some exploratory holes into the wood. A hole saw works great for removing a section of glass so you can take a close look at the wood. Check the wood shavings that come out from the pilot drill on the hole saw too. I'd hate for you to have problems after all the work you're about to do.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 12:05pm
Pete - You forgot to mention that WakeSl should use epoxy resin to patch the inspection holes.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 12:22pm
Hey guys

I will most definitely be doing some digging. I am not doing this just mostly right. I want to be 100% of the wood, if I am not, I am replacing it. The mains seem to to be holding the glass well except in one spot near the front starboard motor mount.

SNob, I will have a lot to fill with former screw holes and the like. I may buy stock in the epoxy mfg I use.

Pete, I believe you have said use a 1" holesaw? If I am exposed like in the one area, can I just use a smaller spade bit? Or do I more want to see the actual core, and that being the reason for the holesaw? Wherebaouts in the stringer? lower? middle?

thanks

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 1:24pm
Mike, The holes saw just cuts cleaner and neater than the spade bit and yes, you'll get some decent shavings out from the pilot bit. I don't think you'll get much life out of the spade bit cutting the glass ether. You're just removing the glass on the wood and not a "core".

With the stringers exposed, you'll be able to go "exploring" pretty much anyplace. Aft bottom corners, bottoms of low spots (near the bilge drain), close to the 1x3 let in strapping and near the battery box are good spots to go looking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 1:54pm
I think it's great to see an older boat with the dry side. The repair implies that it would be all dry otherwise. I was thinking of how that repair would have to be done without going in through the floor, and it would be near impossible to get it dry.

Best of luck on the stringer condition, and I think the picture will be in better focus after the engine is out.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:16am
I finished removing all the foam today, and pulled the motor and fuel tank.
The port side looked way better as far as water in the foam and overall appearance underneath. I feel the very first foam I removed was by far the worst.
We used my tractor to lift the motor out and set on the dolly. Fuel tank was simple, and is really good shape other than the gastket for the gauge sending unit. Exhaust hoses were simple, but need replacing. I think I had very slight leaks at the outlets. There was a small amount of rust at a couple connections.
I removed the steering cable I just installed. I have some cleanup to do and just little bits of foam left in the nooks and crannys. I will remove the wire harness, stereo wiring, battery cables, shaft, and starboard exhaust hose tomorrow, and let her sit and dry a bit with the dehumidifier.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:27am
I have definitely seen worse, keep you might get a few years out of those stringers yet. No crazy stunts though it it might be rotten, replace it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 2:29am
I have some delamination on the main stringers, and am in the middle of trying to cut it off with the dremel wheel and an air driven cutoff tool. This is a total PITA. The wood is damp underneath, but no glaring signs of rot. I have been up an down both stringers with a hammer and they sound solid. They are, however, somewhat discolored in spots. The parts that have been exposed for a couple days look noticeably better than when initially opened up. I feel like I should just roll it outside and get out the grinder to get all the glass off. Should I use a grinding wheel or 36grit or rougher sandng wheel? Seems like the wheel would rip through it better. I really would prefer to do this on a nice breezy day like Saturday is supposed to be, than in my shop.
Have suit, respirator, and goggles ready.
I hate the itchy stuff.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 2:42am
ok. Ignore this advice at your own peril you need a diamond cutoff wheel for your grinder it is way better than a air or dremal cutoff for this work the difference is night and day
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 2:56am
Noted. I was just testing the waters with the others, trying to keep the dust down, etc. Pretty sure that I have them in the grinder case.    Thanks Joe

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 3:19am

was on the iphone earlier so I couldnt link the pic, but this is what I am talking about. Its fast, least amount of dust possible, (grinding wheel will make 3 times as much) best thing is it dissolves fiberglass but wood or metal takes a lot of effort, so taking just the glass of the stringer is trivial.

After trying everything I am a huge believer in the diamond wheel for cutting out and then the flap disk for grinding and smoothing, dremal with a sanding drum for small work.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 16>
  Share Topic