NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marauder 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 3:13pm
Here's the best way I know of to illustrate the value issue .... Bill, if you take the time and put 5 grand into the restoration, I'll give you $4,000 for your beautifully restored Correct Craft!

I love that boat - I know another older CC is in my future, keep changing my mind on what I'd want, but I'd say that hull just moved way up the list. It looks very much like a boat that was on the lake I grew up on in the '60's/70's, I'd run out of the house to watch it go by when I heard it crank up.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 5:28pm
The trick is the reverse rotation 440.. once that is in hand the turbo bits should be able to work with it with a little lovin. I have a transmission from around then that might work for you. Cant remember what size the output flange is though.. I will take a look next time I get near the shop. I dont see 440 marine parts like the bellhousing being a terribly big deal there were quite a few 440s in boats.. someone has the old parts.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 5:34pm
Oh and I forgot why I originally posted the center tab is not a trim tab but instead placed there to keep the rudder from being able to pull in air and cavitate at higher speeds. Between that and the relatively large pitch prop I think it is pretty safe to say that the turbos were not just for show but also contributed significantly to the go!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 5:58pm
Like Joe pointed out in your original post, that generation of Marauder was the most expensive Correct Craft available at the time, which even if its not "collectable" (at least not to the point where its value is increased significantly- yet anyways), it sure does add to the "cool" factor. The fact that its turning a RH prop would lead me to believe that it came with a big block Mopar from the factory. The twin turbos are ultra cool and nearly period correct, so it would be a real shame to go in any other direction when you bring that boat back! A 13x17 prop is a monster, so that thing probably got out of its own way, to say the least.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 6:29pm
I had said the Marauder wasn't in the brochures, but it is in the '65 brochure which was prior to the Wildcats, but isn't that boat a newer boat like a 68-70 based on the gauges, windshield and steering wheel?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 7:04pm
Going back to remembering the boat on my lake growing up - I'm thinking it was a Barracuda SS since I remember a curved windshield. The interesting item is they wanted the fastest boat on the lake, it ran mid 40's, but they sent it to be "modified" somehow to get more speed, and it reportedly hit 50 after that. In reading this thread, I wonder if they just upgraded the 318 or whether that was another boat that had 440 power.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 9:45pm
I bet there are still some mopar parts around from those old twin screw chrysler powered plywood large lake /ocean boats. seems like you still see them rotting in back yards and marinas in new england.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:03pm
It is according to the old owner a 1969 model. Also, (i hope these are not really stupid questions) does it have to be a reverse rotation motor? Could it be propped otherwise?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:09pm
I will try to get more pictures of the turbos and other stuff under the hood. Have not had time to look them all over yet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:13pm
Tim

I think you are right about it getting on down the lake. It must have thrown fast water at the rudder as there is real erosion going on at the top of it. Can that be repaired? does it need to be?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:31pm
Bill, What I find interesting about it is that it is a Marauder which was the same hull as the Wildcat. The Wildcat seemed to take the place of the Debonaire and Maruader in 66. The Wildcat was one of their best sport boats at that time. Why that boat would have come out as a Marauder as it wasn't in their line up in '69, but, there are boats out there that don't seem to be in any of the brochures, so who knows? That same hull was used on a number of different models over the years. That's an interesting boat. email Correct Craft with the SS# and see what they say. That's not your average old Correct Craft.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:51pm
the nameplate is missing. I have looked on the stringers as Pete suggested and have come up empty. Any other methods of ID?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:58pm
Bruce, being as it was priced twice as high as the Tournament Skier (with which it shared a hull) in the '65 brochure, I wouldnt be surprised if the Marauder was a boat that had to be special ordered.

An older, narrower CC that originally had a RH engine would probably handle fairly poorly with a LH- even more so if youre talking about the power levels associated with a blown big block. Theres a reason they were RH to begin with. Staying with a reverse rotation engine would be part of the "cool factor" the boat has as well.

If you want "quick and easy" then I would recommend a dime a dozen engine like a Ford 351w or Chevy 350... but I certainly wouldnt put a motor like that in this particular boat. Its far too unique. Take your time, and do a lot of research before you start putting it together.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 11:12pm
Tim, that could be. We'll have to remember to ask Mr. Ralph about it in August. Maybe he'll know. I find the bench seat and jump seats in that boat interesting as well, if they're original.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 12:46am
Bench looks original. Jump seats most likely are not. Different vinyl and they really don't fit.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 1:58am
I kind of suspected the jump seats were not original. As well as all 3 tabs.
I wouldn't be bit surprised to hear it's been re-painted.

I wouldn't throw a bunch of money at it. You might be disapointed.
It's a big wide flat bottom that delivers a very rough ride.
You'll think your Ski Nautique rides like a Rolls Royce.

I'm guessing you didn't get a title.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:00am
Might be worthwhile to get ahold of Art Cozer too,he might have some insight if the factory was involved
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:13am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I kind of suspected the jump seats were not original. As well as all 3 tabs.
I wouldn't be bit surprised to hear it's been re-painted.

I wouldn't throw a bunch of money at it. You might be disapointed.
It's a big wide flat bottom that delivers a very rough ride.
You'll think your Ski Nautique rides like a Rolls Royce.

I'm guessing you didn't get a title.

Big wide flat bottom? It's got a less than 7 ft. beam.

Old CC's ride rough, no question, they aren't rough water boats. I don't think he's restoring it to brave Lake Superior.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:29am
I really like the look of that boat. As said, just classic. Reminds me of growing up around boats in the 60s. BKH
Livin' the Dream

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:48am
The bar on the back of the motor box IS original.
So is the split motor box.
Changing belts was always fun on a Marauder with a pylon.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 2:21am
i dont think it was repainted or painted at all. there is a scuff,scratch on the back that is deep and still red. i will admit she is very photo-genic. looks great in the photos but is very dirty and needs some t.l.c. all in due time.

i am not restoring it to hit big water. i will try to keep it as original as possible cause it should be. here in northeast nebraska we don't have much water at all!!!!

i am amazed how soft the vinyl is...not cracked but a few tears. the wood in the seats and the stringers look good as well.

i would very much appreciate it if you guys could ask art cozier about the old girl.(or anyone that might know details)

i took a few more pics and will get them loaded soon.

thanks to everyone who has chimed in.

bill
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 12:44pm
a little progress on the cleanup. i am amazed at the fact that the wood is still intact and not rotted away. i got a kick out of "the long cruise" fuel tank!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 12:57pm
Bill - I have had sucess in getting vinyl tears repaired by a 'color Pro' franchisee. They color match & grain match very well.

Your boat looks great, hope you get it done soon.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 4:30pm
Art's profile link, try his email there
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 4:42pm
Sent one his way. Thanks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 4:44pm
Chris

Thanks for the info. This one may take awhile. Need to find a power plant.

What part of Iowa do you live?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 5:09pm
I know that Art has retired from Correct Craft in Orlando, but I understand that he still has a desk at the plant and still comes in often. Call the Correct Craft and see if they can get you intouch with him.

Cool boat. I agree, go back with a RH Mopar BB 440.

Donald
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 6:00pm
I could make some phone calls. (RH Chrysler locating)
3 possible sources, in central MO.
Or I could email you the phone #'s

edit:   Update    Two calls made.

Guy #1    Hasn't seen any Chryslers for 10 years.
Guy #2    Has a few re-built 318 long blocks. No complete drop-in's.   Does have Southwind 20 w/ good running PleasureCraft 351.

Just start calling every large marina.   There should be several out there somewhere.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 7:09pm
There is probably several around this lake but just not advertised for sale because it's like trying to sell a dinosaur.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 7:33pm
check the Chris craft sites and old boneyards, the roamers were notorious for swinging righty/lefty 440's, put a post in the wanteds because of the repowers going on over the years and the old engines sitting in the corner of someones garages....came by alotta 427's that way...you just gotta know where to look, i gotta pair of Paragon v-drives that im hoarding, which came behind or for better terms in front of 440's.
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
  Share Topic