Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22627
Printed Date: May-07-2024 at 2:02pm

Topic: Marauder 19
Posted By: fanofccfan
Subject: Marauder 19
Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:05am
for those that have been following this thread titled "what model is this?" i have started a new one.
got her home tonight. needs motor and trans (eric...gonna need help here) the only parts under the doghouse are the turbos,water jackets,intake manifold and a carburator. will get more pics when i start to get all the stuff unloaded.

Replies:
Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:07am
a few more

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:22am
Bill,
That is too COOL!!! love the dash!   18 pitch!.... what did it have for power?    What year is the boat? What are your plans?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:30am
i think it was made in 3/69. don't know original power but after the original owner(who owned a chrysler dealership in lincoln,ne)kept getting his arse beat by his buddy who had a "ski" he took it back to his mechanics and had them install a 440 bb with twin turbos!!!. don't know who won the race after that. plan on getting her back to normal some how. need trans and such. have located a 440 but have to get it married to a trans. and have no idea what was in there or what it is going to take. should be fun.

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:40am
It probably came with a 440 or 383.
The trans was a VelvetDrive 72c (5" coupling)

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:45am
dr.

would that be the original prop? thanks for the trans info.

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:51am
The prop was made in Dec. of 1975

And appears someone had it re-pitched to a 13x17

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 10:03am
Bill,
Congratulations on getting the boat. It's hard saying what engine the boat was equipped with from the factory. There were many times back then that CC used whatever they could get their hands on and a marinizer that would extend them credit!!

Have you found the boat ID tag? This was before the HIN's were molded in the hull at the transom so look for it on the stringer around where the engine was. With the number, you may be able to get some info from CC.

Al is correct about the prop. I agree it's not the original and was put on after the blown 440 was dropped in. The pitch change was for "dialing in" the WOT RPM's.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 10:10am
you gonna show that tug or do you want to get it running troublefree?

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 10:12am
i would jump on that 351 with tranny package in the for sale section

-------------

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 1:28pm
eric

Probably not going to show it....but do have access to a 440 chrysler motor. any ideas what it would cost to get the trans and related items to bolt the two together? thanks

Posted By: 66Skylark
Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 1:50pm
VERY cool boat!

Best of luck getting her back in shape Bill!
Kyle

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1445" rel="nofollow - 1966 Skylark

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1976" rel="nofollow - 1998 176

MA/

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:04pm
i see you have a righty, that may complicate things a bit, unless you go with a 1.23 trans

-------------

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:41pm
Looks like there are several 72C's for sale on the web.
From 550.00 to 2,650.00.
You won't want one with a reduction gear.

Chrysler must have had fairly good relations with CC.
The majority of Marauders, Wildcats, Riviera and Grand Prix that I have driven, were all (except for 2) Chrysler powered.
One was the Holman Moody Hardtop in the diaries.
The other a 348/409 Chev.

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:48pm
If you go with the 351 power w/ 71C you simply change your 5" coupling to a 4" coupling.

Posted By: charger496
Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 3:28pm
Please, for all things sacred, keep it Mopar!

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 4:17pm
so it is a righty...did the 72 turn correctly with with what i assume was a right hand motor?

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 4:22pm
pete

looked for tag...no where to be found. looks like there was one by shifter control.

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 6:53pm
just sayin, you need a righty nopower motor,
you can spin the warners either way by simply indexing the pump, but forward position on the shift lever must make the boat move forward.
if you do come across a lefty nopower and want to keep it flat in the boat, really the way to go would be with a 1.23 pcm, then you can utilize the right hand prop and keep the lowpower plant level. the ACBS never looks at the tranny's anyways

-------------

Date Posted: July-15-2011 at 7:18pm
got it. from the looks of it, you no likey the nopar.

Date Posted: July-16-2011 at 9:57am
not in a boat, it doesnt make sense nowadays unless it puts 100k price tag if all original, which it wont, you can put a small whether a Ford or a Chevy in there and make the same power and run lighter. I really love seeing the older boats with updated power, I look at it this way, in these boats always at the time got the best of everything power wise going into them, why revert and go backwards, move forward not backwards. if the engines of nowadays were available back then, they surely would go into the boats.
aint nothin better soundin than a 426 hemi

-------------

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: July-16-2011 at 1:32pm
Very sharp looking boat, congrats!

Were the trim tabs a standard feature, or were they added on? It seems like an angled imboard drive gives enough lift without needing tabs.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: July-18-2011 at 12:23am
Twin turbo 440 probably made that thing porpoise like a *****, the tabs were likely an effort to tame it.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Posted By: quik225
Date Posted: July-18-2011 at 1:25am
How well do turbos work with a water cooled manifold. If turbos use the hot expanding exhaust to spin the turbine, cooling the exhaust seems like it would negate much of the turbo's energy source.

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: July-18-2011 at 4:06am
Originally posted by quik225 quik225 wrote:

How well do turbos work with a water cooled manifold. If turbos use the hot expanding exhaust to spin the turbine, cooling the exhaust seems like it would negate much of the turbo's energy source.
Quik -   Turbos work on flow through the exhaust side, not expansion. The faster the the exhaust gas flows over the exhaust turbine, the higher the spin rpm of the turbine,and the direct result is that the compressor spins faster, thus more compression happens on the intake side. High engine RPM will cause the exhaust gasses to flow at a faster rate than low engine RPM. as far as cooling goes, turbos in airplanes get hot enough to make the turbo glow, and that is with a significant amount of cold air passing over them.   You can only imagine what kind of stress that this kind of heat puts on the bearings and the oil. In the doghouse of a boat, with no air movement, water seems the most available method of getting the heat out of the turbos.

Date Posted: July-18-2011 at 2:30pm
the middle tab was homemade and was not factory. the outside two were maybe original but i doubt it.

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: July-18-2011 at 5:28pm
That looks like a great boat and a rare model at that. It's certainly worthy of a 440. It's the same hull as the Wildcat and many of those came with 318's. I have friends that have one and it ran 45 mph and had plenty of power. They eventually repowered it with a 351 and wish they had stuck with the 318. That's a plenty nice enough boat to stick with an older, original type of engine.

-------------

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 11:49am
Bruce

I have sourced a 440 and am trying to find out what in fact happened to the original motor and trans. How "rare" do you think it is? That would be somewhat of a factor when putting her back together. Any other info that may be of interest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the comments and info from everyone following this thread.

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 2:42pm
Bill, on that hull that model is very rare. I don't know why they called it a Marauder and not a Wildcat. It's not in the brochures and there is only one in the Diaries. Don't let rare be confused with valuable as outside our circle of very enthusiatic fans, there's not a lot of interest from people looking to buy a Classic boat. Maybe someday, but not now. Aside from it being a Marauder, the color is great and the gel looks like it's in good condition. IMO that is a great Classic boat to have/restore and a 440 would be a great engine for it.

email ReidP and ask him what he thinks of it as he knows that vintage probably better than anyone.

-------------

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 3:04pm
Bruce.
Thanks. I get the value issue. Only a select few even know what a correct craft is and fewer know what they mean to this small circle of enthusiasts. To me that makes them even more cool. I will send Reid a message. Thanks again.

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 3:13pm
Here's the best way I know of to illustrate the value issue .... Bill, if you take the time and put 5 grand into the restoration, I'll give you $4,000 for your beautifully restored Correct Craft!

I love that boat - I know another older CC is in my future, keep changing my mind on what I'd want, but I'd say that hull just moved way up the list. It looks very much like a boat that was on the lake I grew up on in the '60's/70's, I'd run out of the house to watch it go by when I heard it crank up.

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 5:28pm
The trick is the reverse rotation 440.. once that is in hand the turbo bits should be able to work with it with a little lovin. I have a transmission from around then that might work for you. Cant remember what size the output flange is though.. I will take a look next time I get near the shop. I dont see 440 marine parts like the bellhousing being a terribly big deal there were quite a few 440s in boats.. someone has the old parts.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 5:34pm
Oh and I forgot why I originally posted the center tab is not a trim tab but instead placed there to keep the rudder from being able to pull in air and cavitate at higher speeds. Between that and the relatively large pitch prop I think it is pretty safe to say that the turbos were not just for show but also contributed significantly to the go!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 5:58pm
Like Joe pointed out in your original post, that generation of Marauder was the most expensive Correct Craft available at the time, which even if its not "collectable" (at least not to the point where its value is increased significantly- yet anyways), it sure does add to the "cool" factor. The fact that its turning a RH prop would lead me to believe that it came with a big block Mopar from the factory. The twin turbos are ultra cool and nearly period correct, so it would be a real shame to go in any other direction when you bring that boat back! A 13x17 prop is a monster, so that thing probably got out of its own way, to say the least.

-------------

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 6:29pm
I had said the Marauder wasn't in the brochures, but it is in the '65 brochure which was prior to the Wildcats, but isn't that boat a newer boat like a 68-70 based on the gauges, windshield and steering wheel?

-------------

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 7:04pm
Going back to remembering the boat on my lake growing up - I'm thinking it was a Barracuda SS since I remember a curved windshield. The interesting item is they wanted the fastest boat on the lake, it ran mid 40's, but they sent it to be "modified" somehow to get more speed, and it reportedly hit 50 after that. In reading this thread, I wonder if they just upgraded the 318 or whether that was another boat that had 440 power.

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 9:45pm
I bet there are still some mopar parts around from those old twin screw chrysler powered plywood large lake /ocean boats. seems like you still see them rotting in back yards and marinas in new england.

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:03pm
It is according to the old owner a 1969 model. Also, (i hope these are not really stupid questions) does it have to be a reverse rotation motor? Could it be propped otherwise?

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:09pm
I will try to get more pictures of the turbos and other stuff under the hood. Have not had time to look them all over yet.

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:13pm
Tim

I think you are right about it getting on down the lake. It must have thrown fast water at the rudder as there is real erosion going on at the top of it. Can that be repaired? does it need to be?

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:31pm
Bill, What I find interesting about it is that it is a Marauder which was the same hull as the Wildcat. The Wildcat seemed to take the place of the Debonaire and Maruader in 66. The Wildcat was one of their best sport boats at that time. Why that boat would have come out as a Marauder as it wasn't in their line up in '69, but, there are boats out there that don't seem to be in any of the brochures, so who knows? That same hull was used on a number of different models over the years. That's an interesting boat. email Correct Craft with the SS# and see what they say. That's not your average old Correct Craft.

-------------

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:51pm
the nameplate is missing. I have looked on the stringers as Pete suggested and have come up empty. Any other methods of ID?

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 10:58pm
Bruce, being as it was priced twice as high as the Tournament Skier (with which it shared a hull) in the '65 brochure, I wouldnt be surprised if the Marauder was a boat that had to be special ordered.

An older, narrower CC that originally had a RH engine would probably handle fairly poorly with a LH- even more so if youre talking about the power levels associated with a blown big block. Theres a reason they were RH to begin with. Staying with a reverse rotation engine would be part of the "cool factor" the boat has as well.

If you want "quick and easy" then I would recommend a dime a dozen engine like a Ford 351w or Chevy 350... but I certainly wouldnt put a motor like that in this particular boat. Its far too unique. Take your time, and do a lot of research before you start putting it together.

-------------

Date Posted: July-19-2011 at 11:12pm
Tim, that could be. We'll have to remember to ask Mr. Ralph about it in August. Maybe he'll know. I find the bench seat and jump seats in that boat interesting as well, if they're original.

-------------

Date Posted: July-20-2011 at 12:46am
Bench looks original. Jump seats most likely are not. Different vinyl and they really don't fit.

Date Posted: July-20-2011 at 1:58am
I kind of suspected the jump seats were not original. As well as all 3 tabs.
I wouldn't be bit surprised to hear it's been re-painted.

I wouldn't throw a bunch of money at it. You might be disapointed.
It's a big wide flat bottom that delivers a very rough ride.
You'll think your Ski Nautique rides like a Rolls Royce.

I'm guessing you didn't get a title.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:00am
Might be worthwhile to get ahold of Art Cozer too,he might have some insight if the factory was involved

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:13am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I kind of suspected the jump seats were not original. As well as all 3 tabs.
I wouldn't be bit surprised to hear it's been re-painted.

I wouldn't throw a bunch of money at it. You might be disapointed.
It's a big wide flat bottom that delivers a very rough ride.
You'll think your Ski Nautique rides like a Rolls Royce.

I'm guessing you didn't get a title.

Big wide flat bottom? It's got a less than 7 ft. beam.

Old CC's ride rough, no question, they aren't rough water boats. I don't think he's restoring it to brave Lake Superior.

-------------

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:29am
I really like the look of that boat. As said, just classic. Reminds me of growing up around boats in the 60s. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: July-20-2011 at 2:48am
The bar on the back of the motor box IS original.
So is the split motor box.
Changing belts was always fun on a Marauder with a pylon.

Date Posted: July-21-2011 at 2:21am
i dont think it was repainted or painted at all. there is a scuff,scratch on the back that is deep and still red. i will admit she is very photo-genic. looks great in the photos but is very dirty and needs some t.l.c. all in due time.

i am not restoring it to hit big water. i will try to keep it as original as possible cause it should be. here in northeast nebraska we don't have much water at all!!!!

i am amazed how soft the vinyl is...not cracked but a few tears. the wood in the seats and the stringers look good as well.

i would very much appreciate it if you guys could ask art cozier about the old girl.(or anyone that might know details)

i took a few more pics and will get them loaded soon.

thanks to everyone who has chimed in.

bill

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 12:44pm
a little progress on the cleanup. i am amazed at the fact that the wood is still intact and not rotted away. i got a kick out of "the long cruise" fuel tank!

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 12:57pm
Bill - I have had sucess in getting vinyl tears repaired by a 'color Pro' franchisee. They color match & grain match very well.

Your boat looks great, hope you get it done soon.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 4:30pm
Art's profile http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=1641 - link , try his email there

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 4:42pm
Sent one his way. Thanks

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 4:44pm
Chris

Thanks for the info. This one may take awhile. Need to find a power plant.

What part of Iowa do you live?

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 5:09pm
I know that Art has retired from Correct Craft in Orlando, but I understand that he still has a desk at the plant and still comes in often. Call the Correct Craft and see if they can get you intouch with him.

Cool boat. I agree, go back with a RH Mopar BB 440.

Donald

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 6:00pm
I could make some phone calls. (RH Chrysler locating)
3 possible sources, in central MO.
Or I could email you the phone #'s

edit:   Update    Two calls made.

Guy #1    Hasn't seen any Chryslers for 10 years.
Guy #2    Has a few re-built 318 long blocks. No complete drop-in's.   Does have Southwind 20 w/ good running PleasureCraft 351.

Just start calling every large marina.   There should be several out there somewhere.

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 7:09pm
There is probably several around this lake but just not advertised for sale because it's like trying to sell a dinosaur.

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 7:33pm
check the Chris craft sites and old boneyards, the roamers were notorious for swinging righty/lefty 440's, put a post in the wanteds because of the repowers going on over the years and the old engines sitting in the corner of someones garages....came by alotta 427's that way...you just gotta know where to look, i gotta pair of Paragon v-drives that im hoarding, which came behind or for better terms in front of 440's.

-------------

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 7:44pm
Call

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 8:01pm
I would call the boat yards surrounding larger lakes . N.E winnip...( i can never do that one..) vermont lake champlain . coastal maine has an old plywood boat in every boat yard. if you find any 409s let me know

-------------

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 8:16pm
new hampshire craigs list. 1983 century ski boat with 440 inboard , dont know rotation but its 650 for the whole boat and trailer

-------------

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 10:09pm
Thanks for all the help. I will try those options. Took a few more pics of the turbos and such. Looks like they would be big project for a "toodle around a small lake boat". Not sure of that route but I thought some might like to see them.

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 10:18pm
they make them (the engines) spin both ways. what makes them spin left or right? can a left be made to spin right? or are those really dumb questions..... and should i get ready to take a real beatin' for even suggesting the thought?

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Looks like they would be big project for a "toodle around a small lake boat". Not sure of that route

You're breaking my heart.    

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 10:28pm
I don't think you want to change drive rotation if that's what you're asking.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 10:47pm
i wondered about that confusion when i asked. i will edit. what is different with the motor?

Date Posted: July-22-2011 at 10:50pm
heartbreaker.... lovetaker....i just said "not sure"

Date Posted: July-23-2011 at 10:14am
probably the only way you could use a lefty would be to put a 1.23 pcm in there which would allow you to keep the right handed prop, although your flange coupling is a 4" and you may be on the edge of capacity with the PCM trans, although those too are used behind the 502 pythons. you would need to change the 5" flange on the prop shaft to a 4". very feasible and not detramental to the originality.
did you measure the prop shaft? is it a 1 1/8?

-------------

Date Posted: July-23-2011 at 10:19am
seeing the set-up in more detail, it would be ashame if those ornaments didnt go back in the boat....i bet she would be a whistler, no better sound than some turbos' spooling up. you dont have to go all out and try to make a speed demon out of it, by propping the boat correctly you can stay in the guidelines of a normal weekend ski-boat to serve your purposes

-------------

Date Posted: July-23-2011 at 2:46pm
eric---i love your way with words---

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: July-23-2011 at 11:52pm
I believe the Cam is special on a RH Motor. The Distributor has a different Gear for the RH Motor. Also, the firing order is very different. The Cams are hard to find, but may can be special built.

I hope this helps from a Shade Tree Mechanic.

Donald

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:09am
if you got the moola, anything is feasible

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:13am
the good ole boys here on the site would put 2 chrome stacks out the side of the engine box to suck some air

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:16am
another good sourec for a 440, would be decrepit motorhomes, alot of companies used them

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 1:47pm
I have a 440 sourced but it is not Maranized and it spins regular automotive rotation.

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 2:08pm
That auto 440 is worth it's weight in scrap iron to you and not that much more you need the marine bits which are much easier to get all at once than one at a time and since they will come on an engine it is worth waiting to see the condition of that engine before investing in relatively simple to find auto 440's . Long run it will be a lit quicker and cheaper to search out a complete marine rh 440

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 6:09pm
try the dual engine plywood boats you can at least get the right rotation and some spare parts to boot

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 7:14pm
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/2504921082.html - Road trip

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 8:39pm
thats a half hr from me if i can help you

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 10:29pm
peter

if you would be so grateful and want to check it out that would be great. let me know what you want me to do and lets go from there. rotation might still be an issue. price is reasonable enough. thanks and just tell me what to do from here.

bill

larry

thanks for the help and link.

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 10:41pm
Well that was quick!
I was thinking about making the 3rd phone call.
Or almost getting ready to suggest buying a new engine for the '96 and installing the GT-40 in the Marauder.

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:00pm
even with freight charges it would prob be worth it .   refresh me you need a left rotation?

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:04pm
sorry i just reread post prop says RH.. didnt Bruce Hart   (Riley )have a link to a righty?

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:14pm
Yes he did. Did not see it till late Friday. I will call him tomorro. That one I assume is out east as well.

Date Posted: July-24-2011 at 11:32pm
i am on the phone with the woburn guy   he is going to call you if it was you that called from a 402 area code then he has your #

-------------

Date Posted: July-25-2011 at 1:37am
peter

i spoke with jason about the 440. would you possibly be able to look at it? he said it does not have a conventional water pump but has two sherwoods????   do you or anyone know if that is acceptable for my application? freight is another issue i will have to check into. he also might know of a 72c trans to bolt on the back...he was going to call a buddy of his. thanks for the help.

bill

Posted By: Fibersport
Date Posted: July-25-2011 at 1:38am
Differences for a RH engine:
cam
MAYBE distributor, I think Chryslers might have RH and LH distributors
maybe circulation pump, some are bi-directional
raw water pump might have to swap inlet and outlet hoses
timing marks are on the other side of 0 degrees
pistons might have to be turned around to prevent piston slap
starter
maybe alternator fan but alternator should be OK
front engine seal - very important
timing gears instead of timing chain
firing order as stated above
These are chevy changes, chrysler and fords might be different

Date Posted: July-25-2011 at 10:09am
if your trying to source a 72c, go with a model number 10-18-002

-------------

Date Posted: July-25-2011 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Originally posted by quik225 quik225 wrote:

Quik -   Turbos work on flow through the exhaust side, not expansion.

Wrong!! You need to review your old physics books. Heat is a energy source.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-25-2011 at 11:06am
I would be happy to look at it for you. my guess on shipping would be in the 700 range   let me know what i can do for you. I would imagine there are going to be many incidentals associated with a project like this . I would weigh the total value to you. if you are looking for a long term project buying a little at a time then it sounds like you picked a good one . total investment would probably be in the range of buying someone else' basic turn key i bet.

-------------

Date Posted: July-25-2011 at 1:08pm
Yea. That is a major hurdle with this labor of love. I am going to try to keep
My eyes open for one much closer. He was going to call me later this week so I will let you know my plans. You are most gracious. Thanks

Date Posted: July-25-2011 at 9:17pm
Bruce
I called your lead today. Very nice guy. He was going to check it out this week and we will connect next week. It sounds as though those motors are not as readily available as some might think.

Date Posted: July-25-2011 at 9:24pm
Bill is a good guy.

Date Posted: July-26-2011 at 9:49am
I can come up with 3, 440's in the 1000.00 to 1500.00 range, all lefty automotives, one from a 75 motorhome with 40k on it...anything from 72ish on will be a low compression smoggers..unless marine. some research is in order if you want to use the turbos'. the 60's engines were hogs and made all kinds of power
as you stated, i asked one guy and he came up with 3 of them. every marina always has the old woodsters in the back lot waiting for their demise, seek and you shall find

-------------

Date Posted: July-26-2011 at 11:47am
eric

the lefty's are somewhat easier to find. my cousin has one built with all sorts of pretty stuff hanging all over it and made to roar...he was rattingling off all sorts of things i have no idea about...maybe a 1:1.23 is the way to go?

Date Posted: July-26-2011 at 11:52am
There are always some 440's that come up on http://www.marineengine.com/boat-classifieds/inboard-gas-enginesfor-sale/p714-chrysler-m440-with-v-drive.html - marine engine from repowers.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-26-2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

maybe a 1:1.23 is the way to go?

Only if you can swing the needed diameter of prop and still maintain proper clearance to the hull.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-26-2011 at 12:45pm
Pete, Im not sure what the prop diameter has to do with the transmission choice? He's likely looking at a custom prop either way he goes (1:1 vs. 1.23), as he'll need something in the 12-13" diameter range, but steeper than most offerings with that blown big block.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window