NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deadly Power Turns

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deadly Power Turns
    Posted: July-06-2011 at 9:02pm
Please, please, please, tell everyone you can to stop this stupid and dangerous practice.

I am sure a lot of people have stories about people dying over the holiday weekend...hope not, but it seems to happen every year in a lot of communities.

It happened on Lake Columbia near Jackson, MI. We were celebrating the 4th on Clark Lake which is next door. A Columbia resident happened to be at our party on Sunday. Saturday night a young man (19 yrs old) was driving a ski/wakeboard boat with 4 friends on board. He was drunk or at least drinking based on witnesses and survivors. He was sitting on the side of the boat while driving and decided to do a power turn. Boat hit a wave and all four occupants were ejected into the water...only three came up. The driver was not found until the next morning, on the bottom of the lake. Autopsy was done, but has not been released yet. It is assumed that he was either knocked out and drowned, or run over by the boat as it continued to go in circles. On lookers immediately came to rescue but first had to disable the boat by throwing a ski line to foul the prop so they did not endanger themselves. By that time it was too late for the driver and they could not find him by free diving. It was reported that the driver had completed a boater safety course and was very familiar with the boat and the lake.

Please pass along to anyone you know that is a boater as we can all use a reminder now and then on safety. This really was an avoidable tragedy for this family. I am not connected to them in any way, but if me sharing this story stops one person from getting hurt, it would be worth it.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 1:07am
Adam - Thanks for promoting safe boating, This subject should be on the top of everyone's list.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 12:51pm
Sit in the seats, that's what they're for.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 2:27pm
They have a big anti power turn campaign going on at wakeworld.com complete with T-shirts. I used to be guilty of the power turn method of rider retrieval, but have changed my ways. It actually takes less time to get back around to the fallen rider in the water and uses a lot less gas.

Sounds like the kid was trying to do a 360 powerturn to throw everybody out of the boat like that. Very sad...

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 6:31pm
I need to put a tether on my boat. anyone else installed one?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 6:41pm
Tragic story. sucks to read something like this after a holiday. Riding the rail, while power turning??? Wow....

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I need to put a tether on my boat. anyone else installed one?

Peter, I installed an ignition kill switch (tether) in my '93 Sport. Great peace of mind. You never know what can happen while out on the water.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 11:44pm
How about this guy ! And people paid to get in the boat with him.

Just a little sick humor

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 12:41am
I think the main contribution factor here is the drinking.
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 6:07pm
I can't se the harm in a power turn if done resposible...

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Sit in the seats, that's what they're for.

x2

did't one the other day where it flip't so hard that the prop came free of the water... Had to drive 2 soaked girls in to harbor

But have never come close to throwing people out.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 6:26pm
It wasn't just one thing that caused this, unfortunately he payed the ultimate price for his poor decisions.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 6:55pm
I've been power turning my entire life, but this really makes me re-think how I retrieve skiers / wake-boarders. Thanks for posting this. I don't want "the shovel". :)
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 7:11pm
i once knocked a friend GF against the gunnel doing a PT, left her with a nice cut in the forehead....I felt pretty bad for that, as i left the girl with a scar there....this was when i started boating alone, I was 21 or so..stupid kid I guess....
Sad what happened to the kid, stupid maybe be but a tragic end...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 7:18pm
No one is going to accuse me of being the most conservative boat driver in the (any) bunch. In fact on the same weekend this tragedy occured I took a full boat load of people on what can only be described as a pretty aggressive ride resulting in plenty of wet shirts. Now I am not going to say it was a responsible or reasonable thing to do.. I don't care who you are or how good you or your boat is these things can do squirrely things at speeds above skiing speed. Worse if something fails. So if you are going to push on it.. consider being as safe as possible. I know I have had some close calls in my boat.. and have tried to take something away from them.

Rule 1, reasonably calm and predictable water conditions only. You end up goinging down the back side of a wave or group of waves in the wrong direction and you can lose rudder control and hook around the nose even at semi reasonable speeds.. a full front seat and an empty back seat make this even more likely.     

Rule 2, lifejackets, lifejackets, lifejackets if nothing else it gives your passengers fair warning when you require them to put on a lifejacket to take the ride. Besides it certainly helps the search party find the bodies.   It also cuts down on bruising when the person next to you gets jammed into your side as well.

Rule 3, there really is no reason not to have a kill switch installed and attached to the driver, they can be had for small cash outlay and at least limit the damage to you and your passengers.

Rule 4, if you have never done any maintenance on your 25 year old boat don’t drive it like a rented jetski

Rule 5, no loose items in the boat.. an anchor thrown from one side to another can be deadly, I am pretty sure someone around here shattered and ankle that way..

Rule 6, sit in a seat and hold on.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
drtybrdy9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drtybrdy9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 7:26pm
Not sure if a power turn was partially responsible for this. It was the 4th of July, and I'm play some yard games in the backyard at the cabin with my Dad and others. I look over the water and see a riderless jetski going around 30-40 mph infront of our shoreline. A little down the way a rocky point sticks out and BOOOM, destruction!! At least no one got hurt on the rocks. I don't know if someone was hurt elsewhere on the lake and was not sure how it ended up ghost riding or why the safety key didn't come off or even why the throttle didn't automatically gear back to and idle. But it got me thinking about what would have happened if the trajectory would have been a few degrees different and directly into my boat.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 8:09pm
The group I ski with all have Malibu's and they all powerturn to retrieve a skier. The boats spin much, much tighter than any Nautique I've been on but it's only a driver and an observer, both very competent and expecting the maneuver. We ski in a small river so the water is always glass and its always during a ski session since we really never joy-ride (there's nowhere to go!).
I used to powerturn in my Nautiques but always after first making sure everyone on board was prepared and was securely seated. Even then it always seemed risky and like it had to be stressful on the boat. I would have never tried it in choppy water. Maybe its my age but I don't have any desire to do it anymore.
I've always been leery of inboard slalom boats at higher speeds on rough water anyway. Aside from beating my kidneys senseless, I've just never believed they were designed for those speeds in those conditions. Trying to cross Lake Norman on a busy Saturday, the confluence of several wakes could create some frightening conditions if you were doing 30, let alone 40+.
I agree that this story is tragic. If I were to guess it was inexperience, insufficient understanding of the dangers, a lapse in judgement all of which could or could not have been exacerbated by drinking. None of these conditions apply to how the guys I ski with use their boats during ski sessions so I won't go so far as to say you should never do them. Unfortunately not everyone has experience, education and common sense to guide them.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by jonas jonas wrote:

Jonas,
You will see the harm when the engine mounts start pulling out of the stringers!! Then with the misalignment if not checked/corrected, you'll have a very unhappy trans and have to ship it all the way over here for Eric to work on it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by jonas jonas wrote:

Jonas,
You will see the harm when the engine mounts start pulling out of the stringers!! Then with the misalignment if not checked/corrected, you'll have a very unhappy trans and have to ship it all the way over here for Eric to work on it!!

I'm sure the day will come to call Eric for trans work

I did not mean to say that the power turns are god for the boat I agree that they do put a lot af stress on the hull, but that is not an safety issue wile doing the turn. In the long run yes you will problely break the boat and regred it.

It's like running WOT for long period of time you wont die but the engine might

I rest my case and genneraly just agree with Pete
wetvette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 12:07pm
Years ago as part of their ski show, The White Lake Ski Heels did a maneuver in which the Nautique entered a turn pulling a skier with the skier swinging out hard and fast to the outside. As the skier reached furtherest point possible in his swing, the Nautique did a Back Turn opposite the direction of the turn, immediately getting back on the gas after the boat stabilized, and resumed speed to get skier back in tow, almost with no slack ever getting into the line. Great show maneuver that audiences always loved but one that took a lot of practice to get it right under controlled conditions.
wetvette
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 1:35pm
I’m probably the guy Joe was talking about. 3 years ago I had my right foot/ankle rebuilt
(6 hrs. of surgery) I forgot about the rubber coated anchor behind the observers seat when
I did a little “hot rodding”, when the anchor flew across the boat it missed my left foot and
crushed my right foot. I don’t usually keep an anchor in the boat , I get it off the pontoon
when we anchor and swim. I FORGOT IT WAS THERE from the evening before. I still do power
turns, they are so much fun and I ALWAYS double check for loose stuff in the boat first.
Now my Orthopedic Surgeon is on speed dial!

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 8:56pm
Just to clear it up...I was talking about a 180 spin type power turn and not a hard turn under power to retrieve a skier.

And for what its worth, and I do not know this for sure, I assume this guy had done lots of power turns in the past. I somehow doubt he just up and decided to try it one day after living on the lake his whole life.

Old Chinese proverb..."Better a thousand times careful than once dead ."
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by wetvette wetvette wrote:

Years ago as part of their ski show, The White Lake Ski Heels did a maneuver in which the Nautique entered a turn pulling a skier with the skier swinging out hard and fast to the outside. As the skier reached furtherest point possible in his swing, the Nautique did a Back Turn opposite the direction of the turn, immediately getting back on the gas after the boat stabilized, and resumed speed to get skier back in tow, almost with no slack ever getting into the line. Great show maneuver that audiences always loved but one that took a lot of practice to get it right under controlled conditions.

This called a "360 around the boat" it's very common with show skiers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Just to clear it up...I was talking about a 180 spin type power turn and not a hard turn under power to retrieve a skier.

And for what its worth, and I do not know this for sure, I assume this guy had done lots of power turns in the past. I somehow doubt he just up and decided to try it one day after living on the lake his whole life.

Old Chinese proverb..."Better a thousand times careful than once dead ."

Adam,
I understood completely and I feel most of our members did as well. Back in the days when I were younger and not as smart, my group used to call them "bat turns" . This was from the old Batman TV series where Batman and Robin were able to turn the Batmobile 360 in the Batcave within it's own length!!

BTW, it's tough on the engine mounts - I found out the hard way!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 10:32pm
As an aside from the main topic- you should never power a boat around to pick up a skier unless they are injured. Wrecks the water for everybody. Our boat has two speeds: Pulling skier, and idle.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 5:16pm
I think people are idiots when they act like this on the water. One it is unsafe and most important, very hard on your boat and lower units. As Pete, stated after you do one, better do a alignment lol
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 5:43pm
My buddy did one one time with two people in the passenger seat, needless to say they were both members of the opposite sex...

He told them to hold on but they really didn't know what was coming. She came over to the dash so fast she broke his key off in the ignition (no sexual pun intended).

PS is this still ok with you guys?:

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
IntelSoftApps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 8:24am
Originally posted by drtybrdy9 drtybrdy9 wrote:

Not sure if a power turn was partially responsible for this. It was the 4th of July, and I'm play some yard games in the backyard at the cabin with my Dad and others. I look over the water and see a riderless jetski going around 30-40 mph infront of our shoreline. A little down the way a rocky point sticks out and BOOOM, destruction!! At least no one got hurt on the rocks. I don't know if someone was hurt elsewhere on the lake and was not sure how it ended up ghost riding or why the safety key didn't come off or even why the throttle didn't automatically gear back to and idle. But it got me thinking about what would have happened if the trajectory would have been a few degrees different and directly into my boat.

They were probably skateboarding on the seat. Kind of fun.lol

Anyways, what you do is take a rubber band and wrap it semi-tight around the handle and trottle if it is a seadoo. Then you get up and stand on the seat. You put the kill lanyard around your ankel or leg. Then you lean to steer and it drives its self. But if done wrong, and that lanyard comes off you and you fall off, the jetski will go with out you like you saw on the lake...

The jetski would kill itself if they fell off the jetski doing a power turn if the lanyard came out. But even if it didn't, the jetski would only idle slowly. The only way it goes fast with out a rider is usually by skateboarding it or the throttle is jammed with a cotton ball or rubber bands.lol.

I have seen this before...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic