Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tips on Building Teak Swim Platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips on Building Teak Swim Platform
    Posted: June-09-2011 at 2:22pm
I'm about to build a teak swim deck for my boat. Southwinds are a beast to climb into for some. After a long hard ski session, it's like climbing up a fire escape ladder on the side of a building . A friend of mine has an original deck from a Southwind I can use as a pattern. Does anybody have any advice or tips on what tools to use on the teak? I work for a sign company and thought about using our 8' x 16' flatbed router, but probably not. What saw works best?, Sanding? Thanks for the help.
Kirk
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2011 at 7:48pm
I´d look into buying the reproduction platforms available in the CCF store..they are not teak, they are jotoba. in they run about $350/450
Ask if they have the patern for the southwind though.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2011 at 7:52pm
Thought about that, but I want teak. There's no substitute in my opinion.
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2011 at 8:06pm
Problem with teak..is that its hard to find? and its pricey!!!

probably the best route is to find a used platform in a boat yard or on evil bay and try to adapt it to your needs...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2011 at 8:10pm
Pricey yes. But there is a place here in town that carries it, luckily.
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 9:47am
Originally posted by kman kman wrote:

Pricey yes. But there is a place here in town that carries it, luckily.

Kirk,
Have you done any true price calculations on the Teak? The last time I looked at it, it was over $65 a BF!!! Rough estimating, that would put your lumber costs at over $1,300.00!!!!

BTW, it being a oily wood, it really machines nice. I would however recommend carbide rip (not combination) blade in your table saw for the best rip cuts. A decent sharp blade and the ripped pieces will not even need to be run through the jointer. The same is true for cutting to length in the "chop", radial arm or miter saw. Since you have tapered sides, a decent carbide blade in a hand held "skill saw" will do fine - run it against a straight edge cutting the ends after assemby. Router bits for the round-over, carbide of course!! Unless you have a real high end surface planer that has carbide blades or better yet one of the new spiral cutter heads in it, you're stuck with HSS. Sanding can be a problem with cheaper abrasive paper. Due to the oily wood the cheap paper will clog up on you. Get the most expensive you can find and don't go to one of the "big box" stores for it.

You know, I wasn't even going to comment on this non original idea at first!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 10:53am
It is expensive but there is an exotic hardwood dealer here in Dallas that has it in stock for $30 a board foot. My original teak is still in great shape so I just want it to all match. Thanks for the tips.
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:09pm
76 Southwind 20

OK - New Teak platform from Teak World in Tennessee will be here next week. Can someone tell me what bolts & plates I should use for the top holes the go thru the transom? Do I need some flatbar steel or maybe fender washers? Also, I am assuming the bottom holes on the brackets just get screwed in because you can't get to them on the inside.
Thanks
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:12pm
And, with nobody in the boat; where should the platform sit in relation to the water ideally? 3"-4" above the water???
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:12pm
Plates are probably overkill- Ive only ever used fender washers. I'd consider adding bolts to the bottom instead of screws- at least on the center 2 brackets (which are accessible). All hardware is 3/8-16, if I remember correctly. Make sure you use lots of 5200!

I would look at pictures of other SW20's to determine where the platform should be mounted. The height relative to the stripe will be your best clue. Distance above the waterline will vary quite a bit, I suspect, depending on how much wet foam any particular boat has, and whereabouts its sitting. For instance, Ive seen some BFN's with platforms at the waterline (waterlogged in the rear?) and ours was 3-4" up- it was waterlogged in the front! If someone with a factory platform could get you a reference measurement (rubrail down, maybe?) that would probably be best.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 6:01pm
Kirk,
What did they charge you? Did they have a pattern or did you supply them with measurements?
I too explored the idea of building my own but as Pete pointed out it wasn't cost effective.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 6:17pm
Teak World if I remember correctly is a great deal for a real Teak platform. I have a feeling or was told that they got their hands on a large batch of teak they are reclaiming. Remember they used to use Teak on battleship decks - retire one of them and you end up with lots of Teak!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 6:27pm
My buddy bought a 78 Southwind that is just like my 76 so we bought two decks. $350 EACH!!! Yes, there is excitement in that. I priced the wood here in Dallas and it was going to be around $375. Tommy Nation is who I am dealing with at Teak World. They normally do the decks for $375 - $420, but we got the two item discount. We shipped him an old deck off of a Southwind that is the exact fit for our boats so they had one to replicate. He said they can also work from a pattern or electonic file. http://teakworldenterprises.samsbiz.com/ My friend is going to get both sides of his dash done and all new step plates from them too. I will post pics when I receive the deck.
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

jlagrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlagrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 7:06pm
I also need a swim platform for a southwind 20. I am in the middle of a major overhaul of the entire boat and will post picture of the project soon (I am new to all this posting and attaching stuff). Due to the size of my project, I do not have the funds to jump on with you all and increase the quanity discount. Could you help a guy out and keep that pattern and your mounting locations for me?
1976 Southwind 20 open
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 7:21pm
Teak World should be able to make it again after they finish ours. I can help with the bolt pattern after that. Save my info. Kirk signpro09@att.net
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 11:50pm
I'm going to need one for my 72 once the stringers are done. I just emailed them to see if they could make another! Great find Kirk!

Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 12:34am
Looks to me like Teak World is pulling your leg while they are selling you Jatoba.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 11:04am
Al, can you tell the difference between jatoba and teak just by looking? I used Teak World a few years ago for my Tique platform. They claimed it was actual teak. I forget if they told me it was reclaimed wood, or if thats something I just assumed because the price was so reasonable. It sure looked like teak to me- it was not noticeably heavier than I would have expected either (isnt jatoba more dense?).

Oh, and if Im not mistaken, these guys are the OEM supplier for Mastercraft platforms- just FYI.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 11:21am
The Jatoba wood platforms I have seen that were purchased through the site store were beautiful. I sure couldn't tell the difference. Once I finally break down and buy a cover for the 83 thats is worth a darn I will start saving my pennies for one of those.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic