NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Cables

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Cables
    Posted: June-02-2011 at 12:23am
Anyone know where I can get a pre-made negative 4AWG batt cable that is around 90" long? I haven't been able to find one anywhere. Does it even need to go all the way to the rear of the motor? It currently mounts all the way at the rear starboard side just down and to the right of the starter relay. The longest pre-made cable I've found is 78" and is automotive, not marine. I guess I could get a blank cable and then crimp the end on that connects to the motor and get a mechanical type fitting for the battery connection but I'd prefer a "factory" made cable. Is this something that the dealer would have?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 8:37am
Bret,
I suggest going heavier than the factory #4. Less voltage drop especially with long cable runs. Do use marine grad tinned wire. Compression type terminals are available that ou just wrench on (not the cheap "repair" type) but I always solder the lugs on and then heat shrink tube the ends.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 11:32am
Genuinedealz.com will make you a cable to your specs using tinned marine wire. I have not had them make one as I have a large crimper and can make my own. I do however buy all of my supplies from them and have for several years. They have great products and are pretty fast on shipping.
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 1:31pm
Yes... big +1 for Genuinedealz.com. You can spec out exactly what you want.

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 2:43pm
I love my Genuinedealz cables. Highly recommend.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:06pm
Here's a link my adventure with this process.

Joel's Battery Cable Adventure

FWIW I'm seeing absolutely zero signs of corrosion on the cables anywhere after several years. I would imagine that my car battery cables actually see more moisture than my boat, not to mention de-icing agents from the road, etc.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 4:52pm
Thanks guys for the help. Wish I had more time to get them from genuinedealz.com but just like Joel's situation, I want to ski this weekend! I was in Melbourne, FL today for work and so I stopped at the local West Marine and they had everything I needed. I even got to use their tools to do my own crimping. Just have to heat up the shrink-wrap sleeves on when I get home. (guess they are afraid of people burning the place down!)
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 5:10pm
Bret,
Even though you used the crimping tool, I still suggest you solder the lugs to the cables. I assume you used tinned cable and that stuff isn't cheap. You don't want the inside of the lug to corrode and have to go through this again. Yes, the lugs may be tinned but it's plated on and the inside plating is real thin!

We solder all of our electric vehicle battery connections together here at the plant.

BTW, a heat gun works better than a torch on heat shrink tubing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bret,
Even though you used the crimping tool, I still suggest you solder the lugs to the cables. I assume you used tinned cable and that stuff isn't cheap. You don't want the inside of the lug to corrode and have to go through this again. Yes, the lugs may be tinned but it's plated on and the inside plating is real thin!

We solder all of our electric vehicle battery connections together here at the plant.

BTW, a heat gun works better than a torch on heat shrink tubing!

What kind of soldering iron is required for cable that thick? Can a normal low-wattage hobby one be used?

Also, and this may be a stupid question, can you solder to lead? That seems to be what most terminal clamps are made of, if not a metal of very similar density and appearance.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 5:33pm
Pete, it is tinned marine cable, I would like to solder the lugs, but how do I accomplish this exactly? I know how to solder somewhat (have done stereo wires etc) but the lugs butt right up to the jacket of the cable.
Yes, I was fully intending to use a heat gun..... :)
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 5:52pm
Joel and Bret,
There are several methods of terminating the cables and soldering will be determined of what you crimped on the end.

I personally like the regular lugs:
and then the stud type adapters to the battery posts. The lugs are real easy to solder on.

If you used the crimp on post connectors:
, these are tin plated copper and soldered on in the same way.

Then there are the compression bolt ons:
and they do not get soldered.

A hobby type solding gun/iron will not provide the heat needed. Ether a torch or a large iron will. Don't worry about the insulation being too close since you'll be heat shrinking over it anyway. In fact, you'll need to trim a small (about 1/8" notch off). Use some rosin core solder, heat the lug or connector until it melts the solder next to the small section of cut off insulation. Then let it suck into the joint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 6:11pm
Pete, thank you for your help! I bought the standard lug type. Will go to Lowe's and get some mapp gas on way home and a torch and do the correct way. i don't like half-assing things. already have the rosin core solder.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 7:09pm
I just made new cables last week. Used 2AWG tinned cable from genuinedealz.com I would also recommend them. Great product, great prices, and fast free shipping. I chose to assemble my own cables but bought the wire,lugs, heat shrink and solder pellets from them. First time using the "solder pellets" worked out pretty well, just drop the pellet in the lug heat up with torch and insert the wire into the lug.

My old cables were badly corroded internally and I'm pretty sure this is what has been causing me to blow starter relays.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 9:48pm
All done! I thought fishing the new one through was going to be a PITA but that was the easiest part of the whole process! Just zip-tied the old to the new and pulled it right through. I soldered both ends then shrink-wrapped. Couldn't believe how easy it was. Thanks again for the help guys!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 10:03pm
Bret,
You'll have cables for life in that boat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 10:25pm
Question for Pete, why the tinned cable for freshwater. I just finished soldering about 60 connections and added 3 batteries with 2 switches, a voltage sensing relay and some breakers. The only tinned wire in the boat is because I put it there, after talking with Billy he felt it was better to upgrade the wire size rather than paying for tinned wire. I think altogether I added 30 ft of 2ga welding cable in the appropriate colors and everything is soldered and sealed with tinned ends. I don't really see anything coming apart or corroding, but just to be safe I did run everything thats on the motor with tinned wire because the insulation looks a bit tougher. Oh biggest thing was the welding cable was $2.50ft and the marine wire was over $6, so I saved quite a bit, almost enough for the 2 new batteries.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Question for Pete, why the tinned cable for freshwater.   

Don,
You don't need to be around salt water for copper to corrode. I've seen plenty of green corroded connections and I've never worked on a salt water boat!! As a example, I replaced a whole bunch of bad wire ends and sta-cons picking up over 2 volts of drop just from the engine to my dash on my Tique. At least you soldered your's so you should be good. I just like to go all the way with wiring.

I've seen battery cables with green over 6" from the ends.

Have you ever had problems with trailer wiring? There's a great example of wiring/connection problems just from moisture.

The reason the OEM's don't use it is as you found out, the cost.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 11:52pm
I've never seen copper wire corrode but I've made some good money on copper that was already corroded
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 2:26am
Trailers have problem wiring in general, my lawn trailer doesn't seem to have working lights any more often than the boat trailer. I understand the point of using the tinned wire, and I do for most things, but the expense becomes very noticable in the single number sizes. I did consider doing it with stereo wire which was tinned, but figured the welding insulation was more durable and even cheaper. I guess time will tell, it's all above the bildge and secured with many zipties, if it were to get wet I would have much bigger issues.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 9:46am
have you ever seen a copper roof? or copper gutters
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 10:21am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

have you ever seen a copper roof? or copper gutters

Not one that has been tinned with the ends shrink wrapped.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 10:39am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

but figured the welding insulation was more durable and even cheaper.

FYI, the PO used welding wire 4awg for the ground and I was replacing it because the jacket was completely dry-rotted and cracking. It felt a lot softer than the marine stuff that I was replacing with.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

FYI, the PO used welding wire 4awg for the ground and I was replacing it because the jacket was completely dry-rotted and cracking. It felt a lot softer than the marine stuff that I was replacing with.

That's why I connected everything that touches the motor with marine wire, alternator, ground, and the wire from the main switch to the starter solenoid. The welding cable only goes between the switches, the batteries, and the ground bus.

The welding cables on all of our portable machines at work get drug over rocks and dirt, through the water and across hot metal. They also stay outside in the sun and the elements with crimped copper lugs and no heat shrink, the only welding cable I've never bought cable for any of them. I expect these to last as long as I need. They're more likely to be replaced because the stereo continues to grow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic