NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop removal questions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2012 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I'll work on getting some numbers. I never have time for fiddle faddle I just kinda wing it and go by what feels good to me. Had the 422 on the sport yesterday after a full recondition from ACME and I didn't really like it all that much........

654 still my favorite though by far.

If my memory serves well none of our props were under the 44mph mark on GPS. They were all 44-45 with one driver and rider full tank of fuel.

Mike what rpms were you seeing with the 422 at WOT??
My 422 is just back from the prop shop also so I wanted to get the numbers before I get a chance to hit some more debris. It is a better prop than the OJ 13 X 16 smoother and does reduce rpms at skiing and boarding speeds. The OJ is quite a good prop for this hull and does produce a slightly better top speed. It also handles small hits from debris better than the ACME. Both props have plenty of pull, the ACME is slightly better. We never use it to pull more than 3 people so never have the need for less pitch like your application. How many rpms are you seeing at 36mph with the 654?

Tim maybe it is a slow hull. My thoughts were the 1442 being a 3 blade may have a higher top speed. If it has the same rpms as the 470 though it will not be that usable (5200rpm). Tim do the 470 and 1442 tend to run the same rpms versus speed? What do you think of the OJ 428?

The speed numbers with 400lb ballast did not change very much(less 0.5mph). The attitude of the boat did not change much either, it still ran very flat. Almost zero bow rise when you go WOT. This was one thing I really noticed going from the 89 2001 to the 98 Sport almost no bow rise on take off.

Have never paid much attention to where the water breaks on the hull but I will next time. Maybe I should have added 2X 400lb bags and see if that gets anymore of the hull out of the water.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 11:15am
Hi guys, been busy with work, the kids and trying to finish my basement (at the dry wall stage) before warmer weather (I'm already too late) arrives. Anyway, I did manage to drag the boat home this weekend. First on the list is to take my two props out and collect some data. Unfortunately, that is probably not going to happen for a few weeks. Have to get the kids wrapped up with school and then the schedules ease a bit.

Interesting discussion about the weight. The last few times, I had done speed runs and come up with slower speeds, I was running with myself and no extra weight. I was very disappointed because the speeds were very slow. I think I have seen my fastest speeds with the boat loaded with five guys and a lot of gear. I never thought about using ballast to overcome the hook in the hull. Very interesting...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Tim maybe it is a slow hull. My thoughts were the 1442 being a 3 blade may have a higher top speed. If it has the same rpms as the 470 though it will not be that usable (5200rpm). Tim do the 470 and 1442 tend to run the same rpms versus speed? What do you think of the OJ 428?

The 3-blade vs. 4-blade argument is secondary to propping your WOT rpm's to your power curve. The 3-blade will have an advantage, all things being equal... but if it puts you 200rpm further from your hp peak, then things are NOT equal. I wish Acme would make a few 3-blades larger than the 470 and 1442 for the 1.23's, as the higher powered boats (HO 351w's, 6.0L's, etc) could benefit from one. Boats like the Crush and Joe's stroker only have 4-blades to choose from. I doubt youre going to do better than the 422, based on the RPM's youre seeing with it.

Ive never tried the 428, but Id like to. Ive tried the 430 (428 with extra cup) and I really disliked it on both my '90 and the Crush. I believe the 428 should turn very similar RPM's as the 668 Acme (which is a 422 with extra cup), or maybe a touch less. Even the Crush couldnt turn the 430 (~5200rpm, vs. 5550-5600 with the 668). I doubt the 428 would be the hot speed prop though, as OJ's tend to make the boat run a little more bow-down. Might be a good choice for slalom.

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

The speed numbers with 400lb ballast did not change very much(less 0.5mph). The attitude of the boat did not change much either, it still ran very flat. Almost zero bow rise when you go WOT. This was one thing I really noticed going from the 89 2001 to the 98 Sport almost no bow rise on take off.

Have never paid much attention to where the water breaks on the hull but I will next time. Maybe I should have added 2X 400lb bags and see if that gets anymore of the hull out of the water.

Sounds like youre seeing all the tell tale signs of a slow hull. On my '90, I get zero bow rise. Adding weight to the rear seat helps very little. With 4 people across the back, I am lucky to pick up 1mph. The hull is just planted, and its a lot to overcome. Check and see where the spray breaks... if its at the windshield or further forward, thats your answer!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 11:33am
ALL,

I would love to be more help but unfortunately after the switch from digital to analog gauges our tach reads all over the place. Not sure why it flutters around...maybe you guys have ideas for that. I'll video it from 0-WOT and you can watch how the tach doesn't make sense at all.

So, I am no help with those kind of numbers...yet
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The big discrepancy between the speed and RPM would suggest that you have a slow hull. Where does the spray break when youre at skiing speeds (30+)? My '90 also has a slow hull... runs very nose planted:

Tim, now looking at your photo compared to the only photo I could find of my SPORT running at or around 30 mph and WOW what a difference. It almost appears your spray breaks in front of the windshield, while I can't see exactly where (in relation to the windshield) it breaks on the SPORT, it is definitely aft of where it breaks on the 90 SKI. Also, there is probably some variation due to water conditions, but still the difference seem pretty big.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 7:07pm
Like you said, its really tough to tell based on the water conditions, but that looks pretty planted to me. The spray is easily breaking somewhere in the vicinity of the windshield, which is about where mine is most of the time (lightly loaded and without the boom). The picture of my boat above does look pretty extreme- its normally not quite that bad.

At footing speeds:

Of course, its nothing like the Crush (gate up):

Pay attention next time youre in some calm water!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 12:01am

Sounds like you are seeing all the tell tale signs of a slow hull. On my '90, I get zero bow rise. Adding weight to the rear seat helps very little. With 4 people across the back, I am lucky to pick up 1mph. The hull is just planted, and its a lot to overcome. Check and see where the spray breaks... if its at the windshield or further forward, thats your answer!

Just went through all my pictures and videos and they are all from inside the boat. Will make sure I get some of the boat at speed next season. Tim do you think a trade off from a slow hull maybe a better slalom wake?

I agree my rpm numbers are good so the 422 is the right prop keeping it just under 5K. Would be nice to see 45mph though. Was hoping a 3 blade may help but with less pitch than the 422 that is not likely without seeing excessive rpm. Tim a three blade 12.5" prop with 15.5"-16" pitch would be a nice option if available. Looks like I have a excuse now for wimping out on the barefoot experience.

Steve and Mike get some numbers and pictures of the boat at say 30mph 35mph and 40mph to match your prop testing numbers. This would provide some real nice reference material for all us Sport owners. Hey now that Keith has one you will be helping him out as well.

89 Ski

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 1:38am
Lewy, that is the plan as soon as I can get out, I will run the numbers. I have a couple of Sports at my disposal so I will see if I can get them all in the water and test all the props we have.

Mike - Is the 1422 currently in the water? Any chance I could borrow it (for testing purposes only) if it is not currently deployed?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 1:52am
My contribution....Thanks again Mr. Morfoot for the pic.

Our windshield is back another 9" so I'm guessing it's worth at least another MPH or 2?

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 2:14am
if your boat will pull 40mph you can barefoot...so no excuses.
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 11:23am
Agreed- 40mph is all you need to barefoot. 43+ with a footer is only needed if youre a BIG boy or doing 1-foot stuff.

Chris, that picture is worthless (as far as judging running attitude) because of the water conditions. Cool pic though! Similarly, the Crush doesnt normally run *quite* this bow-high.

Mark, youre absolutely right- a 12.5x15.5 or 12.5x16 modern CNC 3-blade would be great to try, as it might give you close to another mph. Too bad no such prop exists!

I would absolutely say that yes, the up side of having a "slow" hull is that because the nose is more planted, the slalom wake is improved. I think it helps the barefoot table a bit as well, as the turbulence behind my '90 is much more manageable than it was behind our former '92.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 12:16pm
Wow there is not much of that crush in the water, kinds looks like an inboard bass boat...sorta.

Steve, Yes, you may borrow the 1442. Come down to Bellevue and we'll throw it on for ya!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Wow there is not much of that crush in the water

Its bouncing due to the water conditions and weight in the back. Just a well timed photo. It was to show that a single snapshot can be very misleading.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 1:33pm
I have seen 'Dyne's riding like the bass boat above.

Mike, thanks for the info on the prop, What I would like to do is plan a day to come down and pick it up in the plane (and get you your airplane ride). Then I would run it up here on a couple of boats, collect data and then bring it back. Looks like I am going to have to get working on the schedule.

Will that work?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I have seen 'Dyne's riding like the bass boat above.

Mike, thanks for the info on the prop, What I would like to do is plan a day to come down and pick it up in the plane (and get you your airplane ride). Then I would run it up here on a couple of boats, collect data and then bring it back. Looks like I am going to have to get working on the schedule.

Will that work?

YES!!!

Let me know what kind of dates you're looking for and I'll let you know what's going on. I know we're out of town...June 9th I think it is. But yea, let me know.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 5:38pm
Ok, I finally got a chance to gather some data on the ACME 422 prop and performance. Below are a couple of video's that detail the testing"

No Ballast

and with Ballast (2 FatSac Bricks 310 lbs)

In table form, I also captured the following:
Speed (GPS) RPM (No Ballast) RPM (Ballast)
15 mph            1800 RPM           2100 RPM
18 mph              - - -                   2300 RPM
32 mph            3100 RPM            - - -
34 mph              - - -                   3300 RPM
44 mph            4550 RPM           4550 RPM
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 5:45pm
Where did you have the fatsacs?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 5:52pm
Dang, and I thought I captured all the details...   Fat Sac's were ON the rear seat in the port and starboard corners. Also, it is difficult to tell but the spray is breaking at about the start of the windshield with NO BALLAST and about midway up the rise of the windshield with the Ballast. I also had 1/4 tank of fuel on the gas gauge.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 5:54pm
Thats the right place for them (unless you can get them further back like in the trunk or on the platform). It doesnt sound like you sped up at all? Does your GPS only read in 1mph increments?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 6:04pm
Unfortunately I had it on the dial setting, should have switched to the numeric readout, my bad. It was a lot of stuff trying to manage driving and filming - HA! Also could have put fatsacs in the trunk, but it was full of gear. As I think about it, those two fat sacs really don't add all that much weight. I may have to come up with another more creative test.

What are your thoughts on the RPM - I believe thats about right where I want them, so from the perspective of propping for WOT, I think I am right there. If I switch to a 1442, what should I expect to see happen with the WOT RPM's?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 6:18pm
I think your tach is lying to you. A 422 will run closer to 1:1 on a lighter Ski Nautique at skiing speeds. It will still overturn by a good margin at WOT (by nearly 400rpm. ie, 46mph @ 5000 rpm). I dont buy that a larger/heavier Sport is only turning that prop 4450rpm at 44mph. Its probably closer to 4800-4900. You'd want to prop it to run 4800-5000 anyways.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 10:25pm
Steve nice work on the prop testing. Your rpms do seem very low at WOT. Can you borrow a shop tach to verify readings?

If these numbers are correct though you would be able to run the 1442 or the 470 as you have available extra rpm. Be interesting if they achieved better WOT speeds.

In the older Sport brochure they did state the Sport was faster than the Ski at WOT. But these numbers were before the prop shaft angle change in 98. I wonder if this shaft angle change not only makes the 98 and above Sports run flatter but also slower.

89 Ski

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2012 at 2:06am
Ok, so next test will include some more jockeying of the ballast (putting it in the trunk), I will use the digital speedo instead of the dial, and I will hook up a temporary digital tach to verify operation. I probably will for go any additional video. I think the video taken so far demonstrates the water breaking point on the hull, and has established that I am reading the gauges correctly (HA!). IO got a get some time to fly down to DBQ, take Valant for his airplane ride and pick up his 1442 for testing... Dang work gets in the way!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2012 at 2:10am
Hmm upon further review, I can not read the gauges, the Tach was actually reading 4550. According to Tim, that still sounds low. More to verify. Also updated the speed info above. Video will remain incorrect...
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 10:26am
Tim how would a ACME 2068 perform compared to the 422?
Would the extra cup (0.150) reduce WOT rpm's compared to the 470 with (0.105). Have you done any testing with this prop?

The reason I ask is that I damaged my 422 yesterday it may be repairable but I was thinking of ordering a new prop. I would have ordered a 1442 previously but you mentioned it would turn higher rpms just like the 470.

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 12:14pm
Lewy, bummer on the prop. The 2068 is the cupped 470 IIRC, and would make it turn pretty similar revs to the 422. Im not a fan of adding that much cup to the prop (prefer to keep it at .105 or below). I think adding that much cup just makes the prop less efficient. A few of us have added cup to props and while its effective at dialing in RPM to the desired level, it usually does not come along with increased speed as it should. More pitch is really the ticket for these situations.

What were your RPM's with the 422?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:51am
Details on how you chewed that prop! Boomer
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:10am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 7:47am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

We decided to go to a different dam that we had not been skiing on for a few years. It was a late decision on Sunday afternoon as the conditions were perfect and this dam is the closest but requires ideal conditions to get good water. It was down to about 80% capacity which we had no experience at either. I was actually skiing when the boat stopped, quickly realised what had happened when the water was just over knee deep as I dropped back into the water.

What were your RPM's with the 422?

Tim, I was getting 4940 WOT on the 422. I had always wanted to try the 1442. I am leaning to ordering one and if it increases the RPM to much thinking of adding a bit of cup as it only has 0.090 standard.

The 422 may be repairable so I do not want to end up with 2 of them. Although I think that the 422 may be the best prop for our application. A fresh untouched 422 may even been better than my 422 that I have massaged a few times. I did have it repaired last year by a very reputable company before doing my prop testing.

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 5:47pm
I think thats a good approach!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic