Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wakesurf behind a 95 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wakesurf behind a 95 ski nautique
    Posted: May-12-2011 at 5:03pm
I got a 95 ski nautique, has anybody ever surfed behind the 90-96 hull? How much weight do I need? Is it possible to surf behind this boat?

Sorry I'm a little clueless about wakesurfing, because I'm mainly a 3 event skier.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

95 Ski Nautique GT40
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 5:05pm
Yes its possible, but you'll need a lot of weight. Ive done it a handful of times on my '90- no extra ballast, but 10+ people in the back corner of the boat. Id be interested in hearing what an ideal setup would consist of... Im just a hack.
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 5:21pm
thanks. much appreciated. any idea what a good board is for a beginner? I'm pretty competent on a wakeboard, so I feel this couldn't be too hard.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 5:24pm
TRBenj-your 79 barefoot is baller as hell! I'm super jealous, I would love to have a boat like that, but with the amount I slalom I could never have a barefoot.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by panda panda wrote:

TRBenj-your 79 barefoot is baller as hell! I'm super jealous, I would love to have a boat like that, but with the amount I slalom I could never have a barefoot.

Never say never.
My son and my Brother-in-law wakesurfed behind my BFN with no extra weight, other than me driving and three people in the back. I think my board is a CWB Landlocked. It wasn't easy, but they did it.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 7:08pm
I´m using a obrein alliance 4"6...and a lot of weight around 2000lb....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 7:17pm
i get this......

i´m the second rider...
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 7:19pm
My kids ride behind my 98 SN with a 350lb sack on the floor by the back seat. Granted they are light and don't do any tricks but can let go of the rope and follow the boat. Getting the speed and rope length right and while nothin fancy I am sure you can ride almost any inboard.
Board we use is a Hyperlite,
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Getting the speed and rope length right and while nothin fancy I am sure you can ride almost any inboard.

I dont think that is necessarily the case for larger riders, unless you mean that adding weight is permissible. We've tried surfing behind several 196's and the bigger/heavier guys just displace too much water for the small wake to compensate for. The smaller/lighter girls, on the other hand, can cruise the length of the lake. Short of adding ballast, we've played with the speed and people placement as much as we can- there are sometimes physical limitations that youre up against.
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 12:18pm
i way about 200, hmmmmm ill try adding some weight and ill let people know how it goes this summer.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

i get this......

i´m the second rider...

is that behind your 92? if so is that with 2000 lbs? I don't know if i'm comfortable putting that much weight in my boat.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 4:38pm
i put 2000lb yes.....
but no thats not in my boat...just a little joke... thats behind a 33ft bertram
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 5:29pm
do you have any pics of your boat with 2000lbs in it. as someone who is very meticulous about the things that I own, I have a hard time doubling the weight capacity of my boat

95 Ski Nautique GT40
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 5:33pm
not the best picture but something like this...
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 8:49pm
KAP i gotta say man your a cool dude!

i tried wake surfing at white lake but im about 255 and never quite could let go of the rope completely but it was fun
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 9:09pm
I surfed my 86 ski nautique a lot and got the wake really dialed in. Its obviously a different hull but similar principal. Go with what Kap says and drop between 1200 and 2000lbs in there and youll be able to surf it.

Id suggest a bigger board for someone your size and with the boat youre using. Somthing like a hyperlite broadcast thats like 5'6"?

With my 86 we put 800+ on the port side and 500 in the back and it looks like this

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 12:04am
Looks good Eric, but your homey in the back looks like he may be getting some carbon monoxide fumes lol !
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
mglines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 12:51pm
Once I finish my 86SN project I may try wake surfing this year. So for a 86SN and a 200lb person could I surf behind it without a bunch of weight in the back?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by mglines mglines wrote:

Once I finish my 86SN project I may try wake surfing this year. So for a 86SN and a 200lb person could I surf behind it without a bunch of weight in the back?

"Without a bunch of weight" meaning no passengers or other ballast? I cant see it happening, no way.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:07pm
Eric,

What prop were you running?

I agree that there is no way to surf a 2001' hull without a "bunch" of weight.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:24pm
I believe it was a 1540 or something.

Tim do you remember? It's the same one you guys were running on the bfn
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I surfed my 86 ski nautique a lot and got the wake really dialed in. Its obviously a different hull but similar principal. Go with what Kap says and drop between 1200 and 2000lbs in there and youll be able to surf it.

Id suggest a bigger board for someone your size and with the boat youre using. Somthing like a hyperlite broadcast thats like 5'6"?

With my 86 we put 800+ on the port side and 500 in the back and it looks like this

who the guy back there!!! hes is in the 300lb so also adds some nice weight there...get a couple of those and no need to mess around with the fat sac...and a big plus....you can move them around in case you have goofers or regulars
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:47pm
True story. Never hurts to have big friends
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 2:11pm
Unless you slalom ski exlusively.

Eric, we ran the 1598 on the BFN.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 2:18pm
Same prop I've got as well. I've never tried it with a lot of weight, only had 1 400lb bag and maybe 4 guys in the boat. But it was tricky maintaining that slow of a speed.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 2:21pm
Question's on this wake surfing.
How do you start out? Lying on the board like surfing? If so how do you hold the line and stand up?
The reason I ask is I still have a surfboard from my younger days and would like to try this.
If anyone has a video from the start I would like to see it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Question's on this wake surfing.
How do you start out?

Nope, not like (ocean) surfing... no need to paddle to catch the wave! You start out like you would on a wakeboard/wake skate.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 2:58pm
Thanks just went to youtube plenty of shots on getting started.
Now I can tell the wife "this is why I hung on to this board so long"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Thanks just went to youtube plenty of shots on getting started.
Now I can tell the wife "this is why I hung on to this board so long"

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 10:34pm
To start a wake surfboard, lie back with your heels about where you want them after you get up. Be on the side of the boat you are surfing (it is hard to cross the wake, but I have done it!).

It is hard to stay in position for very long so make sure the driver is ready to go.

Have the driver put it in gear & pull SLOWLY. No hole shots here!

The board will flip up & you can pull yourself upright onto it.

Let the driver get the wake formed & then you can pull up to it.

Use a thick rope (we have about a 1 inch diameter) with knots for hand holds.

We use about 800 lbs in the starboard rear corner. I have found that the lake depth has an influence on the wake too. Can't get a good wake on the port side.

It's fun just trying even if you can't surf for long. It takes a lot of concentration.

Definitely easier on the body than other skimming sports!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic