Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hull Hugger

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 10:07pm
Eric.., the dealer replaced the impeller, not sure about the swash plate. Probably not.

How hot.., if I run engine for about a minute, idle and a few revs to 3k rpms, with a garden hose hooked up I can touch the headers and risers and are pretty cool. However the rubber hose that connects the riser to the fiberglass down pipe on the port side is what's getting hot to the touch. After idle and a few revs I can put my hand on the fiberglass for only a second. However the starboard side remains cool at the down pipe.

Is there a way to back flush the header ? Since I have the riser off if I tape up the exhaust hole to keep water out, then take the drain plug out and inlet hose off.., shouldn't I be able to force any crap that's in there back out ?

Phil.
Scrawford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 11:36pm
Hmmm, sounds crazy but here is what I would do. We used to have similar problems at a place I used to work in Alaska when the impeller would disintegrate and go through the engine.

Remove the fiberglass elbows from the exhaust. With the drain plug removed, start the engine and monitor the water coming out of each rubber pipe.

If you notice significant variance, then start working backward. Try and figure out where an obstruction could be. Assuming there is a variance, I would start with the water lines connected to the front of the exhaust manifolds. You can run for 10-20 seconds with the water line removed without a problem. I would recommend plugging the hole in the brass 90 when you remove the hose, that way the water that is in the manifold and riser will help keep the metal cool. Keep working backward until you find the point where the water volumes are the same. This will tell you where the blockage is.

BTW, I wouldn't try and backflush anything until you know where the root issue is...you'll just be wasting time.

Hope this helps.
Eric

97 196 Closed Bow
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 1:42pm
Guys.., found the problem. Thanks for all the help.

The problem was a solid calcified mud ball at the inlet of the port heard. THere was a small hole allowing some water to pass through.., but not enough to keep the pipes cool. I dug that crap out with a screw driver and we are good to go :)

Will post pics in bit.

Phil
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:00pm
Nice

Yes, definitely curious to see pics.
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 4:54pm
Here ya go... Edit-(links aren't working, give me a sec , or just cut and paste)....

Crap that blew out of the tailpipe. Probably remnants of the fiberglass downpipe that melted
http://phil.files.infostreet.com/Boat/P2140002.JPG

Some of the mud I dug out
http://phil.files.infostreet.com/Boat/P2160009.JPG

Header inlet with black mud still in there
http://phil.files.infostreet.com/Boat/P2160015.JPG

Everything I could dig out prior to flushing the header
http://phil.files.infostreet.com/Boat/P2160018.JPG

Again.., thanks for the support ! Tonight I just need to put the new thermostat in, mount the riser on the port side, attach hoses and I'm off to the lake.

Lastly., this morning I ran out to the dealer to pick up a spare impeller, riser gaskets, etc.. This dealer is where I initially took my boat after melting the downpipe. I got there when the doors opened, place was empty.., but low and behold found the GM sitting at his desk. Yes, that was his Merc S600 sitting in the parking lot.   So he helped ring up my order and while I was waiting I mentioned that his engine tech get an F in my book for my engine repair. He asked what happened and then blew off my comment with "we'll.., he's not PCM certified yet" So I called him out on it and told him that any tech that know anything about engines would know better then to return a boat to the customer without finding the root of the problem. He apologized and said he would "email the tech".   Unbelievable. I'm seriously thinking about creating a slam page online for this dealer so that Southern Ca knows that this company's tech can't troubleshoot a simple cooling issue. Once I got my hands in there I was able to find the issue.

If anyone is curious about who the dealer is PM me.., not sure if I want to post this as of yet.

Again..., thanks for all the help.

Phil.
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:27pm
the links are not working!

glad you solved the problem!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:47pm
I know.., sorry , I screwed up.. you'll have to cut and paste into the browser. I'll see if I can fit it.
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:49pm
ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 11:46pm
Have you confirmed that the noise level is about the same when using the hull hugger without the baffle, or was that just a guess? I know you said you were going to the "Y" configuration, but i thought i would ask if you happen to know how much difference the baffle makes. I took mine out today because it was cracked, and the guy who is repairing it for me is going to do it for much less $ if I decide to just remove the baffle instead of trying to repair it. Repairing the crack is pretty simple, but repairing the baffle is a pain, and there's no guarantee it won't come loose. I was just wondering how much difference it makes. I saw where one guy posted that the muffler without the baffle kind of "defeats the purpose," but as I have done some research, the vast majority of people think the baffle doesn't make that much difference. I don't think removing it defeats the purpose, because you still have a 2 inlet/1 outlet fiberglass muffler. The guy fixing mine was guessing it may be 10-15% louder, but he admitted that was just a guess. Thanks.
Frankie @ LKN
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 1:51pm
I don't think the baffle made much difference at all. Maybe 5% if that. I don't like the fact that it holds so much water but I think that is what gives it its sound deadening characteristics. I decided to keep the muffler with the baffles removed since it seemed to work so well and is much more cost effective than having to buy new wet exhaust hose.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 2:40pm
Thanks for your post. It's a bit of a load off, because I was afraid I was going to pay this guy to repair it, then install it and hate the noise it makes. Then I would be looking at getting a new one, on top of having paid to get the original one repaired. With the sound difference so minimal, you would think they would just manufacture them without the baffles, since they seem to break loose so often. I suppose they're trying to get every last decible they can get. I suppose you're right about the water, it makes sense that it would help deaden the noise. I'm not an engineer, but I can't understand why the exhaust can be above the waterline. I mean, the water that enters the exhaust isn't being used for cooling, so why can't they make the boats with the exhaust above the waterline? That way, you would have to worry about getting a small crack in the exhaust. Perhaps the reason is simply what you said...they need the water to make the boat quieter. Thanks again.
Frankie @ LKN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:53pm
Who said that the water entering the exhaust wasnt used for cooling?

And exactly how would you propose running the exhaust above the water line (ie, above the floor of the boat) without infringing on useable space?
Scrawford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 8:31pm
I find it hard to believe that the mfr would go through all the expense of the baffle to only cut noise level by 5%. Maybe at a certain RPM or certain load, but overall I would speculate closer to 20%. When you look at all the work companies go through to reduce mat'l costs, there is NO WAY Hull Hugger would add the baffle, tube, bracketing, and trouble if it only decreased dBs by 5%.

I patched mine two years ago, including the baffle repair, and it is working like a charm. The baffle is no big deal in regard to repair. If you are already there then fixing the baffle at the same time takes all of about 10 min. extra. Just make sure you use some carb cleaner to get rid of the grease/oil...
Eric

97 196 Closed Bow
ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:22pm
I have no idea what the manufacturer is thinking, but if you talk to them (Centek Industries), they don't like to discuss why their product failed. As for the baffle being "no big deal to repair," I would think that would depend on who is repairing it, but more importantly, the extent of the damage.
Frankie @ LKN
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Scrawford Scrawford wrote:

I find it hard to believe that the mfr would go through all the expense of the baffle to only cut noise level by 5%. Maybe at a certain RPM or certain load, but overall I would speculate closer to 20%. When you look at all the work companies go through to reduce mat'l costs, there is NO WAY Hull Hugger would add the baffle, tube, bracketing, and trouble if it only decreased dBs by 5%.

I patched mine two years ago, including the baffle repair, and it is working like a charm. The baffle is no big deal in regard to repair. If you are already there then fixing the baffle at the same time takes all of about 10 min. extra. Just make sure you use some carb cleaner to get rid of the grease/oil...

Gee, I can't imagine a manufacturer ever over-engineering a proprietary product so they can gouge a consumer    I can only speak to my own experience but you are welcome to get a second opinion.

Also, carb cleaner is petroleum based and probably the last thing you want to use (next to gasoline) when prepping for Fiberglass resin
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 3:27am
By the way, what was wrong with your baffle that took all of 10 mins to repair? It would take hours to repair mine, which is another reason we decided to remove it. By the way, the baffle is the "tube,"at least that what the Centek people call it.
Frankie @ LKN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Jones Jones wrote:

Just make sure you use some carb cleaner to get rid of the grease/oil...

Also, carb cleaner is petroleum based and probably the last thing you want to use (next to gasoline) when prepping for Fiberglass resin

Brad,
What do you feel is the problem using a solvent for prepping? The carb cleaner is just one of the chlorinated (making it non flammable) solvents. Typically acetone is used as a good prep.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Just make sure you use some carb cleaner to get rid of the grease/oil...

Brad,
What do you feel is the problem using a solvent for prepping? The carb cleaner is just one of the chlorinated (making it non flammable) solvents. Typically acetone is used as a good prep.

Pete,

I suppose there is nothing wrong with using carb cleaner as a first step as long as you follow up with a thorough Acetone cleaning. There may be better products out there but I've only used Acetone. As you know, any solvent that leaves a residue is going to cause some adherence problems.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 12:05pm
Well, I suppose while we're at it, I'll ask if anyone knows whether Correct Craft uses a special rubber compound for the rubber they install between the hull and the muffler. I was in the rubber business for a long time, so i probably over-think this one. My guess is they just use regular SBR rubber, but something like nitrile would stand up to the oil present in the bilge. Also, I guess a marine adhesive like 3M 5200 would be best to adhere the rubber to the hull. The rubber in mine had some sort of plastic backer on it. I guess that plastic was sticky at some point, but one thing is for sure, the rubber does not stay in place over the years.
Frankie @ LKN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 8:51pm

Pete,
I suppose there is nothing wrong with using carb cleaner as a first step as long as you follow up with a thorough Acetone cleaning. There may be better products out there but I've only used Acetone. As you know, any solvent that leaves a residue is going to cause some adherence problems.

Brad,
I understand what you are saying but, what is the residue in the carb cleaner? Chlorinated solvents are some of the best degreasers around. Typically the ingredient in the carb cleaner is perchlorethane.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 10:44pm
Well, I just now walked back in the house from reinstalling the hull hugger. The baffle tube was removed, then the muffler housing was repaired. It was a nice job, but I forgot to take a pic of it. He glassed in almost the entire bottom half on the input side, then he covered it with black gelcoat. I feel great about the repair, but was anxious about the sound. Once I got everything installed, I lowered the boat into the water (it's on a lift) and nothing leaked, so I started the engine with the floorboard and engine cover off. I could not even tell the difference from the muffler with the baffle tube. I bought this Nautique new in 1998, so I know what it sounds like, and to me, it sounds exactly the same. I don't doubt that some sort of decible meter could detect a difference, but the point is, there is no noticeable difference in the sound without the baffle tube. I'm as surprised as anyone reading this...
Frankie @ LKN
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 10:57pm

Pete,

Brad,
I understand what you are saying but, what is the residue in the carb cleaner? Chlorinated solvents are some of the best degreasers around. Typically the ingredient in the carb cleaner is perchlorethane.

Pete,

I have to admit I was getting pretty frustrated with your questions until I was at the store today and read the label on a can of carb cleaner. I could swear, actually I know, the spray cleaner I used to use on my Solex and Stromberg carbs was oil based solvent. It's been a while and I stand corrected.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by ffhd1clt ffhd1clt wrote:

...but the point is, there is no noticeable difference in the sound without the baffle tube. I'm as surprised as anyone reading this...

Good to hear (or not hear ) that the repair worked out.
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by ffhd1clt ffhd1clt wrote:

Well, I suppose while we're at it, I'll ask if anyone knows whether Correct Craft uses a special rubber compound for the rubber they install between the hull and the muffler. I was in the rubber business for a long time, so i probably over-think this one. My guess is they just use regular SBR rubber, but something like nitrile would stand up to the oil present in the bilge. Also, I guess a marine adhesive like 3M 5200 would be best to adhere the rubber to the hull. The rubber in mine had some sort of plastic backer on it. I guess that plastic was sticky at some point, but one thing is for sure, the rubber does not stay in place over the years.

Cool. I'd be interested to hear how it sounds once it's up to speed. If it's like mine, the result should be the same.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 3:10pm
I took it up to speed, and I swear I couldn't tell any difference. I fully expected it to be louder, but my concern was that it was going to be too loud. As I said, some kind of instrument that measures sound in decibles may decern a difference, but my ears can't tell the difference. So, if anyone has to repair their hull hugger, and the baffle tube has broken away from the housing, I would advise cutting it out. That gives you one less thing to worry about coming loose, if nothing else. I'll say one more thing and I'm done with the topic: for those who say the baffle makes a difference, I'm quite sure it does or why would they bother with it? All I can think of is they had a goal of getting to or below a specific number, and they couldn't do it without the baffle. Thanks for the posts on here; it's nice to share information.
Frankie @ LKN
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 12:07pm
I'm jumping in here because I've been following this thread and another one on hot exhaust hoses, and I thought I had solved my problem of hot exhaust hoses two years ago. I had similar symptoms to Jones here initially, but no run issue. My exhaust hoses would get hot after prolonged idling, but they would be ok if I was cruising at any higher speed.

I believed the problem to be a once-overheated hose that was collapsing internally as it warmed up under normal operation, because one side was worse than the other and the problem followed the hose when I switched sides. So I replaced the hoses and had no problems thereafter.

This was 2012. I was out in the boat this weekend and noticed the hoses getting hot again at idle, no problem at speed. The risers are normal temps, all the time - never over 160. I think that because I do a lot of prolonged idling, the hoses get a little too hot over time, and break down around the channels that allow water to pass from the risers to the hoses. Then the problem is a self-perpetuating, as less and less water passes through at lower speeds. The engine temp is always dead on normal, and I've cleaned out my manifolds and risers, there's no flow issue in there I'm certain of it.

I don't think there's a back pressure issue, because the engine always runs flawlessly, and plenty of water comes out the exhaust. The problem is the same on both sides, and my boat has full dual exhausts. Since the hoses get hot, but never more than 300, I am going to put the higher-temp silicone exhaust hose in place of the old stuff, since I now have to replace it anyway, and hopefully that will be the end of it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 9:40pm
Morgan,
Since you are running hot at idle, check all the connections as well as strainer gaskets on the suction side of the RWP. There is no need to go to the high temp hose. Find the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2014 at 10:43am

Morgan,
Since you are running hot at idle, check all the connections as well as strainer gaskets on the suction side of the RWP. There is no need to go to the high temp hose. Find the problem.

The engine temp is fine at idle, everything on the engine is fine at idle (checked with IR thermometer, and my hands), except the exhaust hoses.

I have checked the strainer, RWP, and all the other hose connections. I've put clear hoses in place for the heater so I can see if there are air bubbles forming or moving through there, and everything is tight, no leaks of air in or water out.

While I agree that finding the cause is always better than addressing the symptoms, I am leaning pretty heavily toward the conclusion that the only problem is how I use the boat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic