Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hull Hugger

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hull Hugger
    Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:11pm
This topic may have been covered before but has anyone ever cut open and removed the Hull Hugger baffles? I really don't see much of a use for them other than noise and mine have developed an annoying rattle. It seems one or more have broken lose inside.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 6:16pm
You can replace the Hull Hugger but it will hurt the piggy

Sorry about that, just wanted to use the pig emoticon.

I was going to say that the Y pipe came up in another thread as a way to replace the invera-flow, but looks like you were on that thread.
Scrawford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 1:42pm
Removing the baffles kind of defeats the purpose of the muffler. So yeah, you could remove them but then the muffler won't 'muffle' as well.

Here's a post of mine on how to rebuild your muffler for about $20. Did mine last summer and still going strong.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17967&KW=&title=blown-muffler-rebuild--easy
Eric

97 196 Closed Bow
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 2:24pm
Thanks Eric. The baffles actually do very little to "muffle" the noise and probably have more of a negative impact by restricting exhaust flow than it does by reducing noise. I was looking at the most cost effective method of eliminating the rattle and figured if I had to cut into it I might as well remove the baffles completely. It turns out I decided to replace the hull hugger with the "Y" pipe mentioned previously in a few threads.

It's nice to see another Boisean on this site and I hope to see you around. I was at Black Canyon yesterday for a test run and it was flowing like a river.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 6:06pm
Hey Jones,

Where did you find your y-pipe? Looking to find one asap, adios hull-hugger....man I hated that thing!

Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 9:20pm
Come on Sean, you haven't figured out how to do a on line search yet??? That's worse than members who haven't figured out how to use the CCfan search feature!!!

I just did a on line and with the first hit came up with this:Marine fiberglass Y pipe

Go for it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 10:26pm
I spent two hours searching before I posted that question! "marine" was the term I wasn't using. Dohh!

Thanks as always Pete. You da man!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Sephmu Sephmu wrote:

I spent two hours searching before I posted that question! "marine" was the term I wasn't using. Dohh!

Thanks as always Pete. You da man!

Thanks but keep in mind that was the first thing that popped up with my search. Many different inlet/outlet diameters are available.

Keep going - I want to see the results (and hear) of getting rid of that "septic tank" hull hugger!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Sephmu Sephmu wrote:

Hey Jones,

Where did you find your y-pipe? Looking to find one asap, adios hull-hugger....man I hated that thing!

Thanks

I haven't replaced it yet but I'm planning on it. Being the cheapskate I am, I decided to buy one of these and modify it rather than fork over the $100 plus:Centek Surge Chamber This is how it turned out.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 2:06pm
I think the freight cost was more than the purchase price. I'm very interested to see how it works out.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 6:03pm
$145!

Found this bad boy, and at that price I can assure you that I will be measuring twice

Thanks again everyone!

-Sean
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 6:09pm
Yes, be carefull. That shows 3" exhaust x2. Mine was 3.5"
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 6:53pm
Yeah, they have all the sizes on that sight which is nice, I just linked one at random. but I believe mine is 3.5 inch in as well, I'll double check when I get home.

Like I said, at that price I'll have my ducks in a row before I order!

Hopefully I'll get some pics up when I'm done next week
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 7:00pm
Gotcha. Good luck. I would be very interested in how it turns out and what affect it has on the boat.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 7:30pm
Just took a Y pipe and crap out of mine.

Got tired of having a headache after driving the boat for a couple hours.

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

to loud? What's up?
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 8:08pm
Some people say too loud, others love it and say it's not obtrusive at all. It seems some of the early morning skiers around here have "un-Y-piped" more out of courtesy to the sleeping residents on shore rather than not liking the sound.

All depends on your use and preferences I guess
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Jones Jones wrote:

Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

to loud? What's up?

Its all in your taste.

Sounds good from far away. We actually use our boat 4-5 hours a week so the constant rumble gets annoying.

I also ski 2-3 days a week at 6AM, don't like to wake up people so they can complain.
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 9:20pm
I see. That would be a problem. I just didn't think the Y pipe made that much of a difference in the noise. I sure would like to hear the difference before I make the switch.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2011 at 10:43pm
Yeehaw, y-pipe and various other goodies on my doorstep this morning thanks to Bonnie at Race-City Marine!   Pics as soon as this wonderful "sunny" Florida weather clears up. Thanks again everyone!
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 1:49pm
I've been having a couple issues I have been unable to completely solve and which I thought were unrelated until I finally solved both over the weekend. As mentioned here Hot Exhaust HoseI've been having intermittent issues with hot exhaust hose to the point of blistering the inside. I thought the risers were the issue but they weren't. Manifolds are in great shape, the engine runs at perfect operating temperature and water flow appeared to be good. I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out the problem. Another issue was a rattle in the muffler that prompted me to plan on replacing with a Y-pipe. The comments here from Mr Muskewitz and watrski caused me to change my mind. The rattle was not very noticeable when the boat was in the water so I thought I would just leave it alone. And finally, I've recently been having some hesitation at WOT I thought were the vacuum secondaries.

Then, Friday night it came to me that blockage in the Hull-Hugger could be creating excessive back pressure resulting in the hot exhaust and was probably also causing my high RPM issues. The first thing Saturday I dug into it figuring I had nothing to lose.

Thanks to Eric Crawford for his recommendations regarding the 45 degree cut with the Dremel.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 1:53pm

1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 2:09pm
The debris in the picture is after I had to reach in and break it apart to remove the tube. If I would have known what was in there, I would have cut a larger access hole (and wore some gloves)

I took it to the lake yesterday and problem(s) solved!! The exhaust hose is now warm, not hot and I had no problem getting to 4500 RPM. In fact, it seemed to run better the longer I was out on the water. There is no doubt quite a bit of crap on the valves that was blown off.

Another surprising part is that it had little if any noticeable effect on the noise. Although it may be louder than a properly functioning Hull Hugger, it is still A LOT quieter than my old '79.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 2:59pm
Hey Jones glad you got your problem solved without spending a ton of $$!

I finally wrapped up my install Sunday and I'll have to say, there is no doubt you came out way ahead of me in the money spent category!! I forgot how much that stinking exhaust hose is! Regardless, I'm excited to have that bulky hull hugger out of there, and surprisingly I couldn't tell much of a difference in noise while on the hose in the driveway, granted it wasn't under a load but I was expecting it to be much louder regardless. Maybe the old hull hugger had already given up the ghost before I got it, not to mention it had split like an egg! But the only discernible difference was maybe just a bit more "sharpness" in the exhaust note. We'll see how she barks in the water, but man my bilge is much cleaner without that thing!

Hopefully I can get some pics soon for those interested, as I'm looking at the camera on my desk while I type this, which I'll surely forget at the end of the day! Thanks again everyone.
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:40pm
Hi.., wondering if Jones is still on this board... I have the same issue with a hot port downpipe and would like to ask him some questions. I've already fried the port downpipe and have replaced it with a new one. But when I run the engine the port side get really hot. I checked the risers and everything looks really good so I'm leaning towards the hull hugger thingy. I'm wondering if I can simply take the rubber hoses off and check for blockage.

Does anyone have an email address for him ?

Here's the link to my thread.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23036&PID=289015#289015
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:48pm
Howdy. All I had to do was take it out and it rattled so I knew something had broken loose. With so few hours on yours I doubt it but might be worth a look. Due to the design, it was hard to tell by reaching up inside.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by PhiloM5 PhiloM5 wrote:

Hi.., wondering if Jones is still on this board... 5

Phil,
All you need to do is click on the down arrow next to the members screen name. Click on his profile and it will bring up all the data. One of the items is the last time he logged into the site.

Also, you can not just copy and past a link on CCfan like you can do on other sites. First, you must go to the "post reply" and not the "quick reply". You will find the "world" icon. Clicking on it will bring up a window where you what to type in the description of your link. Click ok and the next window is where you what to paste the copied link.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Scrawford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 9:29pm
I would also check your exhaust manifold to riser gaskets. I noticed my port side was running a little warm, pulled the riser off and noticed that I had not trimmed the gasket enough around one of the water ports.
Eric

97 196 Closed Bow
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 9:41pm
Thanks Jones, Eric and Pete for all the help. This is really a great board and the willingness to help reminds me of some of the Euro car forums I belong to. But don't hold that against me ;)

The risers are off and there is no blockage.., although other say there could be blockage down in the header. So should I take the port header off and flip it upside down and flush it out ?

Will also take the fiberglass down pipe off and see if i can feel any blockage in the tube leading into the muffler.

Again.., thanks for the help and will report back if I find anything.

Phil
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
Scrawford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrawford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 9:46pm
Before going down that road (which means new gaskets all around, teflon tape, etc; how warm are they running? Remember that at an idle they will get pretty hot because the water volume is VERY low. When mine is idling I can only touch the riser bolts for about 1-1 1/2 seconds. Once I run it at about 2k RPM and above it is nice and cool.

The important part is that the rubber hose is cool. If that is hot then you definitely have a problem.

Not to ask the obvious, but have you replaced the water pump impeller and swash plate?
Eric

97 196 Closed Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic