NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Fluid for a 95 PCM Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Fluid for a 95 PCM Transmission
    Posted: April-05-2011 at 1:39am
I need to change the transmission fluid in my 95 PCM transmission 1-1.23. The manual says SAE 20 20. Can you use anything else besides that? It does not seem to be available in auto stores.
Thanks,
Mark
95 Nautique 351
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 10:00am
well, they have all switched (pcm40) to Dexron/Mercon, if you switch you will need to flush the transmission at least 2 good times, that means at operating temperature and switching in and out of gear to clear the clutch packs....one tip when flushing, fill it to the top to dilute, dont worry about hitting the full mark until your last flush and change
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 11:31am
Eric is right on the money (as usual). Ill also add that you want to use conventional ATF, NOT synthetic. Avoid additives, high mileage formulations, etc as well. Both Dex/Merc and Dex III work fine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 11:40am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Eric is right on the money (as usual). Ill also add that you want to use conventional ATF, NOT synthetic. Avoid additives, high mileage formulations, etc as well. Both Dex/Merc and Dex III work fine.
.....and when sucking out the fluid, be careful how far you stick the poly tubing down into the trans. They can get stuck!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 11:47am
Only if they go down the wrong hole (within the dipstick hole)!

If that does happen, it would be a good opportunity to purge all the 20w fluid and replace with ATF though.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:21pm
My manual shows a 7mm allen wrench drain plug. Why not just take that out to drain it?
95 Nautique 351
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:26pm
Baaaad idea. Even if you could reach it with a wrench (which I doubt), I would not have much faith that it would come apart easily. Too much risk of breaking the bolt or damaging the case. In that case, youre f'd. Even if you could pull the plug, theres really no way to get a pan in there to catch the fluid- so you'd be dumping it into the bilge. Talk about a mess.

Just suck it out the dipstick hole. Either a small drill pump or a pressurized fluid extractor works great. Use a 1/4" hose on the PCM.
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:28pm
Will do. Thanks for the advice.
95 Nautique 351
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 10:00am
to re-cap, never any additives, I always forget to post highlights, and sure as *************** i pulled a tranny apart yesterday with an additive in it, probably had a small leak at one point, but i had to beat the f out of the clutch pack to get the piston out because of the swollen o-ring. additives are detremental to the life of the transmission
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:55am

Eric:
How often should the tranny fluid be changed?
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 9:53am
once a year. on the PCM's, you can remove the cooler hose and fire the engine to get the oil out, but i think pumping it out would be best for the guy at home
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic