Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SHAFT ALIGNMENT need a game plan. confused

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ZenZeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenZeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHAFT ALIGNMENT need a game plan. confused
    Posted: March-20-2011 at 6:51pm
OK fellas,
Need your help.
A little back ground:
I bought this boat not running. I have rebuilt the entire floor. stringers, and new motor and tranny.
The only original part I kept in place was the shaft, strut and shaft coupler. Everything looks solid and not bent, but who knows.

I need a game plan how to align shaft and coupler (understand to move engine mounts around). I have read a few post and still confused. Not sure all the parts names as well - like log pipe and so on.... Please clarify.

here are some pics of my setup
https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8a6b668a5c62757da4a6

I know I need to bring coupler within .003, but what I need help on is alignment from strut up to engine.

I read about washers used for spacing - not clear where they are putting them ??

Also, since boat has not been on water for 6+ years. should I lubricate shaft somehow as I attempt to hook it up to tranny coupler?

It seems to have the happiest turning spot when the shaft is laying against bottom of the thru hole/ when i move it to center and try to turn it the shaft seems less smooth.

How do I shim it to make shaft center in thru hole?

Thank you CC fans, could make it happen with out you...

Mark

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 7:26pm
You should wait for Pete and or Eric for definitive help, what boat ( Year and Model) do you have? I believe you are calling the "through hole" is actually the shaft log. Typically there is a "sweet"spot when the prop shaft is centered in the shaft log where it turns most freely, and that is where it should run, you want to align the engine to that location. If the sweet spot occurs when the prop shaft is resting on the bottom of the boat something is not right.
Have you read this thread on allignment?

Erics alignmet thread

and this might help with packing the stuffing box.

packing a stuffing box

I am no expert, I have pulled or moved the engine on my 87, and re-alligned twice. I am just re-gurgitating what I have read here.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 9:08pm
Mark,
The first thing you need to keep in mind is alignment starts at the strut and goes forward. It sounds like you have been doing some reading and understand that you want to find the "sweet spot" where the shaft turns freely and is centered in the log (casting glassed into the hull to hold the packing gland).

Have you installed a new cutlass bearing (rubber bushing in the strut)? If not, I suggest this is the time to do it.

Now, if the sweet spot is low in the log, then you'll want the flat washers between the strut and hull on the two aft bolts. This will raise the shaft sweet spot in the log. Dry fit, check and report back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 12:47am
I am no expert but if the sweet spot is at the low point in the log, maybe he just needs to raise the engine using the mount adjustments before putting washers between the strut and hull? PCM mounts have a pretty good amount of travel up and down. Not sure what you have though...
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

I am no expert but if the sweet spot is at the low point in the log, maybe he just needs to raise the engine using the mount adjustments before putting washers between the strut and hull?

No, the strut and log need to be aligned before you even start messing with the position of the powertrain.

Thats what Pete means when he says that alignment starts from the strut forward.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic