NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Snowboard?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Snowboard?
    Posted: February-22-2011 at 1:17pm
I know "Ski, Ride, and Foot Talk" is supposed to mean on the water, but its winter in Ohio and I'm getting desperate.

I got talked into going snowboarding at Holiday Valley in New York in a couple weeks (mostly because the girls that are going said "come on, don't you want to drink beer in a hot tub with us?"...the answer to that would be yes...pictures to follow). Problem is, I've never snowboarded before, I've only ever even been on snow skis once and that was about 6 years ago.

I've been waterskiing for probably close to 20 years, and I just started wakeboarding this past year. I'm decent at it, not great, but I'm learning. It seems like I should be able to transfer some of my wakeboard game to the snow, but I don't know. Can anyone help me out? How similar is snowboarding to wakeboarding, if at all? Anybody got any tips? Pretty much all I got so far is aim it down the hill and try to keep keep my head above my feet and out of the snow.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 1:35pm
haha sounds like you're in quite the predicament Adam. Good choice on going though. The hot tub should be worth the whole trip. Plus, you'll need it after all the falls you'll be taking.

I am an athlete, played all the sports in HS, wakeboarding for 10 years, footing for 15, (im 23) and just started snowboarding in 06 because I was worried I'd be crazy and get hurt in HS and miss my sporting chances.

Anyways...next to learning how to surf, snowboarding was one of the most difficult things I learned how to do. I don't mean to get you syked out by any means but don't plan on being Shaun White your first trip out. I went out thinking psh, I got this...nope lol

A lot like wakeboarding a very good tip is to always keep the downhill side of the board up and out of the snow. You catch an edge on that puppy and you're going down in a hurry. Much like on the water when you can't even get your eyes shut in time and the water gets behind your eye lids...

Best way to get started is stand at the top of the hill like your on skis facing directing down the hill. let your left tip angle down the hill to the left a ways and then bring your right tip up a little and go down the hill to the right. Switching as you get across the hill each time.

Does that make sense? stay on your heels while your doing this and just keep sliding down like that.

It's really difficult (or at least is was for me) to actually get one tip going down the hill and being able to rock back and forth from heal to toe until you get that side slide method locked in. Check out this link I found...it can help you much more than I can.

Snowboard Tips
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 1:45pm
My son made the transition from snow skis to snowboard several years ago. The first couple hours was tough for him. (admittedly, he was younger, around 12 or 13 and maybe not quite as athletic at the time as you might be) His lesson was scheduled for the afternoon. After the lesson, with some basic direction on a very small slope, he picked it right up. So my suggestion would be: dont go to the top of the mountain and head down the black diamond on your first run. Ease into it. So as to avoid awkward moments with the hot tub ladies, maybe run to one of the local slopes around Cleveland a time or two before the big trip and get a feel for it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 1:47pm
Ok, lemme see if I follow...It almost sounds like your advice is to kinda side-slide down the hill, and then, for lack of a better way of saying it, zig-zag back and forth without ever actually pointing the board downhill, keeping it for the most part perpendicular to the slope of the hill. Is that correct?

When you say catch an edge, do you mean the side edge or the front edge? Cause on waterskis, because of the curve at the tip of the ski its virtually impossible to bury it. The tips of the snowboard curve up the same way, though probably not as much, is it the same thing? Or am I going to catch that tip at catapult myself over the nose?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 1:51pm
You got the zig zag part right on. Never actually point the board down the hill. Just keep your toes pointing down it and work back and forth while staying on your heels. You can even do this with your back to the hill to work on the toe side. Just do the same thing as you were...back and forth across the hill while still sliding down it.

When I say catch an edge, yes I do mean the side edge. You'll never catch the tip of the board unless you're in a foot of powder...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

So as to avoid awkward moments with the hot tub ladies, maybe run to one of the local slopes around Cleveland a time or two before the big trip and get a feel for it.

Well that doesn't sound like very much fun...takes some of the adventure out of it! I think the fact that I might get hurt is one of the reasons they were so insistent I come. In fact, we even came up with a super bowl-style squares game so that we can wager on when and how me and one of the more fragile girls will hurt ourselves.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 2:11pm
Adam, I learned to snowboard at Holiday Valley about 8 years ago and was able to pick it up fairly easy. I'm 43 and a southerner so I know you can do it. Best advice I can give you is don't think its going to turn like a skateboard or wakeboard cause it won't. Best advice I can give you is you are going to have to place more weight on your forward foot (yes downhill) and swing your hips and use your rear arm to help you.Your basically pulling a Chubby Checker and "Do the Twist". "Pivot" the board under your front foot. To stop the board you want to teist the board so that both your toes are pointing down hill and lean on your heels to dig in the rear edge of the board. Thats why skiers hate boarders because they PLOW snow when stopping.

Don't start off by going down Cindy's Run as it is pretty steep and you can really get going fast and outta control. I'd suggest taking the Mardi Gra express and head down that way.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

So as to avoid awkward moments with the hot tub ladies, maybe run to one of the local slopes around Cleveland a time or two before the big trip and get a feel for it.

Well that doesn't sound like very much fun...takes some of the adventure out of it! I think the fact that I might get hurt is one of the reasons they were so insistent I come. In fact, we even came up with a super bowl-style squares game so that we can wager on when and how me and one of the more fragile girls will hurt ourselves.

Well, that works too. How much are squares? Can I buy one? Let us know how it goes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Don't start off by going down Cindy's Run as it is pretty steep and you can really get going fast and outta control. I'd suggest taking the Mardi Gra express and head down that way.
Thanks Tim, that's surprisingly specific advice. But it appears you're suggesting the runs with the little blue squares on the map instead of the green circles. Despite the fact that they give the green ones more emasculating names (Snowbird, Punch Bowl, Candy Cane...as opposed to the cool, slightly terrifying ones like Foxfire, Firecracker, and my favorite, The Wall) I'm thinking I might better start there and work my way up to the emergency room courses.

Well, that works too. How much are squares? Can I buy one? Let us know how it goes.
I don't know how much mine are going for, but Meredith's are a dollar a square and we've filled 90 of them...she's a little bit of a drama queen so we didn't tell her that we're betting on her to at least fake an injury for attention, so instead of putting names in the squares I had to assign everyone a superhero secret identity and put the symbol in the square...you know, in case she finds the sheet.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 4:21pm
It sounds like you're going to have a great time.
I think the advice that mdv gave is spot on. The zig-zag heal side, meaning your heals are on the uphill side, is the way we've taught quite a few boarders. If you've been wakeboarding, you have an advantage over most new boarders, even ones coming from the two-plank world. Three weeks ago we taught my brother-in-law's girlfriend how to board. She's never snow skied or wakeboarded, and was able to get down the hill without falling after an hour.
Figure out what foot will be forward based on your wakebarding. I'm right foot forward (goofy foot) so I would set up at the top of the hill and shift more weight to the right leg and start moving to the right. Then by bringing my left leg even with the right and digging the heals, I can come to a stop. Then do the same thing going left; shift the weight to the left leg, slightly point the left end of your board down, and head to the left. Then you try to do that without the stop in between, A little hint is to use your arms and shoulders, and point which way you want to go. That will help your hips to turn in the direction your hoping to go.
No disrespect to Morfoot, but I think he was trying to get you to run healside to toeside. That will be for your second day, or after lunch and a couple of cold ones.
One important (the most important) piece of advice I can offer; WEAR A BRAIN BUCKET!!). When you catch an edge on a snowboard, you go down quick, like a wakeboard. Unless your running in deep powder, the helmet is your bet friend if you catch an edge while riding toeside.
Second piece of advice, stay off the bunny hill. I'm not saying that to protect your man-card, I'm saying it because you need some slope to get yourself moving. A little speed helps. It's similar to how riding a bike too slow isn't as easy.
I hope this helps.
BTW, speaking of names of hills. I took up snowboarding 10+ years ago after tearing my ACL while snow skiing down a hill called ShushyCat, at Crystal Mountain here in MI. It's a black diamond run with steep slope and tough moguls. At Crystal, they have all the chair lift columns color coded. The lift columns on ShushyCat are pink.
Have fun. Post pics.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

The lift columns on ShushyCat are pink.
Have fun. Post pics.
Holy crap that's funny. Hopefully when I get hurt it will be somewhere or on something equally embarrassing. I figure I'll hurt either way, somebody should get some enjoyment out of it. And allegedly someone's bringing a video camera, so I might even be able to do better than pictures.

You do bring up an interesting point...normally I am a beer drinker, but there's something a bit off-putting about a cold beer after being in 12 degree temperatures. My friends and I all got these disposable flasks from restoration hardware (which I cannot recommend HIGHLY enough...they're like adult capri suns pouches! and 100% plastic so they're perfect for sporting events with metal detectors...just sayin) so I need to decide what kind of poison to fill them with. Normally I would go with Jameson or Dew, but I don't know if the Irish are really a snowboarding people...though it does warm me from the inside. Which magical elixir is going to make me better at this?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 5:42pm
Jamesons always has a nice medicinal warmth. Funny post. I like Morfoot's advice. You have to really exaggerate throwing your hips to get from edge to edge. Remember- Always on an edge never ride flat. Flat is about an eighth inch from disaster. Faceplants in the snow are not as funny as on the water...
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 5:58pm
That's a good tip on the edge changes, I can change edges on my wakeboard with very little effort, but I feel like it might be different when the water's solid. I'm glad someone else out there thinks a faceplant's funny though...my buddies never understand how they can bring the boat back around to me after a strong wipeout and I'll be in the water laughing.

I'll probably eschew the brain bucket though...I hate wearing them when I go to the cable park with my wakeboard, it can't be much better in the snow. I don't keep anything important up there anyway. Plus I just got a sweet new hat from nautiquegear that I want to bust out.

How's the man-card math work on that one, Steve? Is it +1 for not wearing a helmet, but -1 for being excited about a new hat? I still come out even, right?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:01pm
I bought a helmet after I knocked myself cold my first year snowboarding. Hit the snow/ice so hard on the back of my head I didn't remember anything for 6 hrs. Drove home and everything. I was living by the moment, fine at the time, but not retaining any memory what so ever. It was interesting.

I will never board without one after that. Plus, you can look cool with a helmet too:

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:22pm
First off, I have to say that second picture is freakin cool, I hope you bought the photographer a beer for that one. Did you land it?

And sure, its possible to look cool, but I don't have the top gun goggles and Johnny Cash snowsuit with matching helmet and my name on the back...something tells me I won't look as good in a bright yellow helmet with RENTAL spray-painted across the front in pink letters...hello ladies!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Jamesons always has a nice medicinal warmth. Funny post. I like Morfoot's advice. You have to really exaggerate throwing your hips to get from edge to edge. Remember- Always on an edge never ride flat. Flat is about an eighth inch from disaster. Faceplants in the snow are not as funny as on the water...

Plus one on all this.. Jameson is already loaded into my flask for boarding this friday..

and as Keegan points out you always need to know and be exaggerated about what edge you are one.. you will only get a microsecond to notice you arent on an edge before one of the edges picks itself.

I found snowboarding relatively easy to pick up after learning to wakeboard.. but get cocky and like wakeboarding the falls the first time our two out are real brain scramblers.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

First off, I have to say that second picture is freakin cool, I hope you bought the photographer a beer for that one. Did you land it?

And sure, its possible to look cool, but I don't have the top gun goggles and Johnny Cash snowsuit with matching helmet and my name on the back...something tells me I won't look as good in a bright yellow helmet with RENTAL spray-painted across the front in pink letters...hello ladies!

hahaha well said...well said indeed. I did land that I think. It was just my dad using the little cannon diggy cam we had at the time. Worked pretty well though, it was so bright it was hard to take a bad pic.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:46pm
Adam
I'm guessing if your not going to wear the bucket, there is no way you'll be sportin' wrist guards. Both of my sons have each broken two wrists while boarding.
When I blew out my knee, I was cranking some Stranglehold on the Walkman, and had a Bota filled with Goldsl*ger (sp). Now it's Mr Cab Driver (Lenny Kravitz), and a flask full of Crown or Johnnie Walker Black.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:51pm
Why, when I type Goldsl*ger, does it replace the "a" with an "*"? You would think it would rep[lace it with a " "
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 6:52pm
Speaking of the stranglehold on the walkman...

This year we grabbed the android phones most of my buddies have and got the speedview app...GPS speedometer in it, pretty sweet.

One girl on skis topped out at 45mph...pretty dang sweet!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

I'm guessing if your not going to wear the bucket, there is no way you'll be sportin' wrist guards.
Well, a wrist injury is one of the squares, so I wouldn't want to consciously put someone at a disadvantage by "protecting myself". That wouldn't be very fair.
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

This year we grabbed the android phones most of my buddies have and got the speedview app...GPS speedometer in it, pretty sweet.

One girl on skis topped out at 45mph...pretty dang sweet!
Hold on, there's something I can put on a phone to tell me how fast I'm going? Does it save your top speed or something? Or is it instant? Is it free? We may have just entered a whole new realm of ski trip gambling...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:17pm
hahaha on the android phones go to the market and it's call "SPEEDVIEW" uses your GPS in your phone. It is also called that for the iphone as well I believe. The display is just like a speedo in a car. gives you top speed for a trip, live line graph of your speed throughout the trip etc...pretty awesome. Could be very handy with crappy speedos in the boat too.

EDIT: yes it's instant. It is a GPS digital (and an analog view) speedometer.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:43pm
   I was snowboarding before it was cool. Back when I started there were only 3 mountains in New England that even allowed snowboarders(and it wasn't that long ago). I had to drive an hour and a half to even by a snowboard back then, and they only had 2 models in stock. I wish I had stuck it out. My senior year in HS I took up skiing because all my friends would go skiing at mountains that did not allow snowboarding. I gave up skiing a few years later because I didn't really enjoy it that much but until recently did not get back on the board. Now, I occassionally hit he slopes with the kids and had to learn all over again, which at my age can be painful.
As Morfoot said, weight on front foot. If you keep most of your weight on your back foot like on a wakeboard, you're going to be in deep sh*t if you need to turn.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

If you keep most of your weight on your back foot like on a wakeboard, you're going to be in deep sh*t if you need to turn.
That settles it, I just won't turn. Seems like a minor detail anyway.

I might have to start out riding goofy just because I know my right foot will be the heavy one. I've been told I ride a wakeboard like a slalom with too much weight on my back foot anyway.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 12:30am
Since you guys are talking about androids and snowboards in the same thread I'll add this to the discussion. Here's a video I shot with my motorola droid in SLC last month. Not too bad for a first time video running down the hill.

Foot's Snowboard Run Brighton Ski Resort.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 12:37am
Nice Tim! Great quality for a phone. Heard those shoot in 720. Makes me wanna go ride!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 1:19am
This is a pretty funny topic! I'm on the other side - been snowboarding since 1992 (started on a split tail board!), have only been wakeboarding since Aug '08.

My advice for your first time out - keep the speed down. The pic below is a girl I know after catching her heelside edge and sticking her arm out behind:

The first few times out are going to hurt. That hot tub is going to feel damn good, even without the ladies. There is lots of good advice on this thread - don't try to go edge to edge (link turns) - right away, stay on your heelside edge first (facing downhill), then try toeside edge(facing uphill) for a while, sliding back and forth. Never let the downhill edge touch the snow. You want to think about balancing on your heels or toes, never flat footed. Most of your weight will be on your front leg (exact opposite of wakeboarding). It is definitely a similar feel though. Very addicting.

That is a sweet phone video, makes me wish I was taking a trip out west this year.
Couldn't resist throwing in this video link from last winter, I shot this at Monarch Pass in Colorado of my brother, we were hiking off-resort:

Playing in Colorado powder
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 1:29am
Neat video. I've skied Brighton in Utah. It was great. Solitude in the same canyon is also great. Alta is still my favorite in Utah, but of course, they are one of the few that still do not permit Snowboards.

I tried Snowboarding a long time ago. Spent several days just to be sure my initial impression was correct - it wasn't for me. I will stick with my skis.

I disagree with some of the others here, however. I don't think it was difficult to learn to ride a snowboard. Rather, I thought it was very easy to get mediocre. It would, however, be very difficult to get good.   I find wakeboarding the same. It's really easy to get up and do something on your first trip out. It's hard to get really good.

Sounds like you are going with others have little or no experience. I would not sweat it. You will do fine.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:12am
Thanks for the encouragement Brian, you're the first person who didn't at least allude to me wiping out. I have to admit that there's a part of me that hopes you're wrong about it being easy to get mediocre on the first day...the combination of mediocrity, whiskey, and pretty girls tends to make me say things like 'hey, watch this!'

If I ever get smart enough to work that youtube thing I'll post what happened to me at a cable park in Orlando in December. 50 degree water, no wetsuit (that's +1 man-card point for those of you playing along at home), and me saying, 'hey, they got ramps out there, I bet I can do that' led to the first fall I've ever taken that made me puke. I've watched the video a hundred times, its funny every time (especially my sister laughing holding the camera), and I still can't figure out how it happened.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 10:11pm
snowboarding kicks azz...

a few things...weight on your front foot, steer with your back foot (kind of like a rudder), easy on the sauce until your done for the day...inexperience + liquid courage = broken bones...cold beers in an outdoor hot tub afterwords is awesome, consider taking a private lesson for a couple hours your first day, be prepared to be a bit frustrated and sore, watch out for your wrists..what else...pick a wide hill with a moderate slope (maybe a harder green or more gentle blue) you need a little speed to make it work...if all else fails you still have hot tub + hotties which always = good times...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic