NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang Stringer Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 15>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 5:52pm
I think even a rough looking floorpan is better than ditching it altogether.

I think we bought some extra 2x doug fir for the ribs.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I think even a rough looking floorpan is better than ditching it altogether.

I think we bought some extra 2x doug fir for the ribs.

It's beyond rough, two sections are already gone.

Now that I am thinking about it, I'll still need to do some notching around the pylon area.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 7:26pm
Keeganino, do you have a shopping list from your US Composites order? Working on mine and would like to compare. Your boat is about the same as mine, although you have much more going on with your secondarys.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 10:16pm
David,
I, like Tim am sorry to hear about the glass floor pan. They were very unique to the stangs. How much of it is actually left? Restoring it takes lots of work but it can be done by someone that is advanced in glass repair. DO NOT throw it out!!!

Yes, I feel your choice of doing the Nautilux floor is a good choice - still original!! Go for it!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 11:13pm
We used white dot flooring from Gary's which has a similar look as a floor plan. I like the looks of it, but it is hard to keep clean. I'd go with the sharkskin Nautolex next time.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2011 at 11:38pm
Bruce,
That boat is nothing but I think you should get out of the appraiser business and let your sons (and yourself) do boats!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2011 at 12:19pm
Thanks, Pete. That would be my dream job, as long as I didn't have to make money at it as that takes the fun out of it. That boat is almost done. I got to get that steering wheel off and paint it and the helm.

The white dot flooring cost around $90 and they sent me enough to do 2 or 3 boats.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2011 at 9:11pm
The grinding has begun. Wow, let me tell you how much fun that is... living the dream

The starboard secondary is out. I actually feel bad taking it out because it was in there so good. No rot either, other than where the screw holes were for the cross bracing. It wasn't bonded to the hull quite as well at the stern but the rest was stuck like new.

Now that I have the feel for grinding I want to make sure I'm going deep enough, and not too deep. I've been stopping when I get down to the cloth area, removing the thickened mat.

I'm assuming the thick gray area should go as well.

I thought about bedding the stringers one at a time, using the adjoining one as a guide and clamping block. It will prolong my grinding time but make the installation easier I guess. Thoughts?

No more grinding for the day, off to a wedding.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2011 at 9:39pm
Your grinding looks good. I would not go any further. I did one side at a time so I could make sure everything was level and lined up. Makes it a lot easier to mark your engine mount locations. Nice stringer out in one piece! Wish I had had one like that for a template.

Seems like the only receipt I dont have is from USC!? But here is what I found in my notes:

Mains take 16 linear yards per layer for both stringers
Secondaries take 14.3 linear yards per layer for both stringers
FLoor to hull and bilge is 21 Linear yards per layer

I used a gallon medium cure time epoxy kit and cabosil as a filler. Probably only need like 2 lbs of that. I got 10 lbs and barely made a dent in it. I got the 95 yard roll of biax and used a little more than half.

Here is Tim's order for the BFN which was about the same as I ordered except for all the 50" cloth. Only got a fraction of that.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2011 at 10:01pm
Keegan,   you mean a 5 gallon kit, I assume. Even so, I have a good dent in my second 5 gallon kit on the 18ft SN, and still have the floor and little stuff to do.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 3:15pm
Thanks guys! I'm going to be on a question role here for the next two days so please bear with me.

Back to the US Composites order later.

As for stringer removal. It's in the 50's today and I would like to take advantage of the cooler weather to do some more grinding. Should I remove the port secondary. This way I'll have both secondaries removed and then bedded in before the primaries are removed. Then I'll do the primaries one at a time.

This makes sense to me but being that I have not done this before I may be missing something that could mess me up down the line.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 3:43pm
IMO, you can remove both Secondarys with no issues as long as you have
the boat supported well at the front chine area and stern.
I think that I remember removing both secondarys at the same time.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 7:54pm
Edit on my post above I used 10 gallons of medium cure epoxy, and I used every last bit. Sorry about that and good eye Mike. You will be fine pulling both secondaries as Critter mentioned. I think I read Tim saying that he would probably not get the fast cure epoxy again. Cheaper to get the 10 gallons all at once.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

I think I read Tim saying that he would probably not get the fast cure epoxy again.

No, I would do it again- we did a good amount of glassing in cooler temperatures (winter/spring in New England) so the Fast Cure sped up the process somewhat.

If youre going to be working in more moderate temps, the Medium cure (3:1) works great.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 10:53pm
Sorry to misquote you there Tim. I did most of my glassing in the middle of the summer so I was using less hardener than called for and ended up with about a pint left over.

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 3:01pm
Hoping to get US Composites and my CPES ordered today. Not sure about several things. Looking for some advice.

1. How much Cabosil? Seems like those who have ordered the 10lb bags don’t use very much of it. Should I go for less? http://www.uscomposites.com/fillers.html

2. Do I need any other filler/thickener besides the Cabosil? I see others use milled fiber.

3. Here’s what I am understanding as far as the layup goes.

a. CPES the stringers/wood.

b. ???Do I wrap with fiberglass before embedding or embed straight CPES coated stringers to hull???

c. Bed stringers down in thickened epoxy.

d. Filet with thickened epoxy.

e. Down the length of the stringers from the stringer to the hull, glass 2 inch tape followed by 4 inch then 8 inch. Then 12 inch biax followed by capping with 12 inch biax. ???One layer each???

f. Same with ribs. Maybe no biax?

g. CPES floor. Do I glass as well?
h. Bed floor to stringers with thickened epoxy.

i. Glass floor to sides of hull. In layers?
j. Glue down vinyl floor.

4. On the plywood floor, if I am to glass it, do I use cloth and how much and what thickness?

5. Are most people getting their CPES from Jamestown? Smiths Warm CPES Epoxy
2 gal kit enough?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. This whole thing is mind boggling the first time around.

I know I’ll also need brushes, etc.

If you see anything I need to add, change, remove, please let me know.

As always, many thanks!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 3:03pm

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 4:25pm
1. I would say 2-3 lbs of cabosil is plenty. That is the only filler I used and it works great.

3. Bed the stringers first and glass them in place so you are getting adhesion to the hull.
Double up the 2/4/8 layers. Probably going to have to get 2 rolls of each. I only doubled the biax on the tops of the stringers from the engine to the tranny mounts. I used the 8.9 0z cloth and 1.5 oz mat on the floor after taping it to the hull with the 2/4/8. Mat first and then cloth for a nice surface was plenty thick enough for me.

I would get a small paint mixer for your drill for mixing epoxy and especially when you use the filler. Worth its weight in gold. You will use a ton of mixing cups and paint brushes. I found walmart has a box of plastic drop cloths for cheap. It is easiest to wet out the material on a dropcloth before putting it in place.

Remember the rollers for rolling air out of the layup and you will probably go through a few gallons of acetone.

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 5:53pm
Thanks Keegan, you've been a big help on this project. I'm reading your stringer thread again as we speak.

Did you use the cabosil just for bedding the stringers, fileting, and bedding the floor? Or did you also use it while taping?

Did you glass the underside of your floor or just the top? Was it one layer each, mat then cloth, on top?

Which roller did you end up getting?
Roller

Was 2 gallons of CPES enough for you?

OK, thanks again. I can't wait to start glassing. Right now I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. Too many unknowns. Spending more time planning than doing.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 6:32pm
Keep track of your hours!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Keep track of your hours!

Do I get to bill someone? Besides myself
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 8:57pm
Don't keep track of your hours! It'll make you think too much about the value of your time, and being one who just finished a boat, it's worth it... but for the first one, it takes a lot more hours than it should. Worth it though!
Bed the cpes and epoxyed stringers in cabosil. A layer of glass between them is just another bond that could fail. And filet the edges with it too.
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 8:59pm
Did I mention it's worth it (twice)?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 11:37pm
No problem! I have to do something with all this useful knowledge in my head.

You got it. The cabosil thickens the epoxy to desired viscosity. You can get it to the point of peanut butter so it stays where you put it. It gets thinner as it starts to kick so on the bilge side of the stringers make sure you make it extra thick for the fillet so it does not run. Any gaps you have after bedding can be filled when you make your fillets. Use the radius on the top of a bondo spreader to make a nice smooth fillet and squeeze epoxy into any voids. You dont use any filler when wetting out the material. Definitely use it to bond the floor to the stringers. Think I made fillets from the floor to hull as well to get a good transition. On the floor I did one layer of cloth on the bottom, then 1 layer each of the mat and cloth on the top. I did beef up the pylon area with a layer of biaxial. I love that stuff. Super strong!

For the rollers I would get one that is narrow like 3" for tight spots. The wider one for the majority of the work and definitely get a corner roller. I would say the bigger diameter barrel on the roller is probably better. Make sure you get them in acetone as soon as your finished or they are done.

I know you are excited. Gonna be worth every bit of the labor. I am really glad I have not kept up with my hours! Like Charger was talking about I could do another on in half the time! Plus now I have all the tools.

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 3:38am
Keegan I'll take all the useful knowledge you can spare.

OK, here is my final shopping list for US Composites. Please let me know if I should change anything.

This is based on...
1. Doubling up the tape layers.
2. One Biax layer at stringer joints and one Biax layer over stringer tops.
3. One layer of cloth on the bottom of the floor and one layer of mat on top followed by a layer of cloth.

The next size down for the Cabosil is a 1.7lb bag. For the price it makes sense to get the 10lb bag.

I have selected 2 sets of pumps, should I get more?

Ordering CPES from Jamestown or Rotdoctor. Anybody have a preference between the two? Rotdoctor might be a few bucks cheaper.

I'm assuming I don't need any special mixing buckets or scissors. I should be able to find mixing buckets cheaper elsewhere. Chip brushes from harbor freight as well as drill paddle mixer.

Starting to rethink my itemized pricelist. It hurts to see how much we are actually spending. And I have not even entered the other stuff yet... transmission, tools, etc.

Yes... it will be worth it... I keep telling myself
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 11:29am
Just realized that the epoxy mat sheets from USC has been discontinued. They say their 1.5 oz chopped strand mat could be considered a substitute. Any thoughts on that?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 3:15pm
Their recommended replacement on the mat is fine- I could hardly tell the difference. Get more pumps. Get more rollers too- theyre hard to clean, so some will be junk after one use. I would consider ordering the mixing buckets from USC as well- Harbor Freight didnt have them locally, and they were significantly more expensive at Home Depot. I probably wouldnt bother with the layer of cloth after the mat on the floor. Did you add up the tape that you will need on the floor to wall connection? I take it youre not foaming any part of the boat? If not, dont forget to add any extra length of support ribs, etc on your tape material.

For CPES, Ive had luck making my own by mixing epoxy resin with xylene. I posted a link a while back for some "home brew" CPES. Buying it premade is $$$, which seems a little silly to me, since its basically thinned resin.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 3:33pm
I found that the mat is more difficult to work with to get a smooth finish but I am sure it will work. I would just get the 8.9 and use that instead of getting the lighter stuff but would be interested to hear what others have to say. 2 layers of 8.9 will take a ton of resin. Its way thicker than the 8.9 cloth tape. If you use it and put 1 layer on the bottom and 2 on top you can probably get away using thinner plywood on the floor.

I got my CPES from rotdoctor and had no complaints. It came with these paper pour spouts that are crucial. I heard somebody else say they did not get them and wasted about as much as they used. As expensive as that stuff is I would be POed sloshing that stuff around. The containers it comes in are not pour friendly without the spouts.

Chip brushes go on sale at HF all the time. They also have the small paintmixer I was talking about. The shaft was too long so I cut it down to the size that worked best. Their mixing cups are not the best. HD or LOwes had something better and the wide mouth 1.5 gallon plastic paint buckets are good for mixing in cabosil. Good trick for reusing the mixing cups is to leave the brush in the cup and let it harden. Then pull the brush out along with all the kicked resin and you have a clean cup.

Pumps... Cant remember if I used 2 or 3 sets. They are great for small batches but when you bed your stringers and make fillets you will be mixing up a quart or more at a time so your better off using the graduations on the mixing bucket at that point.

The other thing you are going to go through like air is gloves. At the end I was buying the blue nitrile gloves. way more durable and comfortable. HF has those too.

Man I get excited talking about this stuff. Way more fun than polishing aluminum which is what I have been doing for the last couple of weeks. Gonna have awesome rub rails when I am done though!

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 5:00pm
So should I get some 2.5 quart plastic containers? Would that be sufficient? Would I ever need more than that? Should I get some smaller ones too?

Back to the floor. Since I'm putting vinyl on top, I would suspect I would want as smooth a finish underneath that I could get. Sounds like cloth would be better for that. Maybe, I don't know. And what about putting mat on the underside of the floor rather than cloth? The mat is cheaper.

I did the math and believe 2 rolls each of tape is plenty for stingers and floor to hull.

What about empty caulk tubes for applying epoxy? Do I need some of those?

Got plenty of gloves.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Got plenty of gloves.

Tell the wife to make sure she picks up AT LEAST 4 cases of beer on her next Costco run!

And be sure to buy a couple replacements in the event your case starts to get a little lighter!

Not sure if Tim is ever going to drink those or not...maybe if he ever finishes his boat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 15>
  Share Topic