Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Star Flite/Collegian Restoration (by The Boat Dr)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Star Flite/Collegian Restoration (by The Boat Dr)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star Flite/Collegian Restoration (by The Boat Dr)
    Posted: February-10-2011 at 8:13pm
Billy has ask if I can post his restoration as he has IT issues with the pictures so here we go,Billy found this boat on Ebay after Marty (MartyMabe) spotted it and post it first,and with the help of 65 Cuda (Gary Blackburn) bought it not knowing for sure what CC he had, many things just did not add up but was sold as a Starflite, he just had a good feeling about the boat, so a round trip of over 2200 miles it was sat in his shop ready for the Doc to bring back to life.
The pictures tell the rest of the story and finds he has a one off boat made by CC The Collegian Utility

Back At Billys Shop

Part two to follow.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 8:29pm

part three after a tea break.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:04pm
Thank you so very much Roger........When you are here in March you can teach me.....Ha Ha
I hope everyone enjoys the resto as much as I have >>>>>   
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:13pm

Billy you let the cat out the bag its not you its the PC right

Cheers Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:21pm
WOW!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:36pm
I think Billy is now a Boat Surgeon.

Way to go - so few people (& we have most of them on this site) have the skills or motivation to bring a marine piece of art back to life!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 11:04pm
Chris, I guess I wanted to bring her back to her former glory.
I have received help from other members that have a desire,also, to save a part of Correct Craft history.I want to thank everyone involved in the inspection,storage,trailer swap, and the safe return trip in Sept. I have some time left before River Run, maybe a first showing there????
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 11:38pm
Really cool boat and you have moved quickly! So sad I am going to miss the run. I know it will be a great time as always.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:51am
Beautiful job. I can only imagine how much fun it must be to put that first coat of finish on and see that mahogany come back to life after all those years. Keep that boat in your family forever. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Mark
95 Nautique 351
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 6:54am
Billy,

One word my friend: A-WE-SO-ME !!!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 9:42am
she's a beauty
"the things you own will start to own you"
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:17pm
Wow! That really looks great.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:40pm
Wow! Doc, she's come along way since Marty and I were there in October. She's absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see her in person, and the look on Mr. Ralphs' face when he see's her as well. Great job as always Billy but then again, we wouldn't expect ANYTHING less from you.          
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:40pm
Kristof, There will be another classic CC for you to enjoy when you return.
I have had so much help from Pete, Allen and Roger on this project. I am sure they want her finished as much as I do.As far as we can tell, this is the only "utility " or aft seating version I have found.
There are a lot of oddities on this boat as well,all custom welded aluminum exhaust, the unusual seat bases and backs just to name a few.I wish I knew more about the history of her birth.
The SF serial number is being the biggest question, it clearly is not a Star Flite. The deck pattern and length and beam suggest it is a Collegian, late 1955 or early 1956......The saga continues.......
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:58pm
Another head turner for Billy boy!!!Quality and Quantity....You pretty much have that taken care of billy with all the boats you have!!!

Nice work....and Love the 312!

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 1:18pm
Awesome job Dr. !
What did you have to do to the engine?

Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 1:36pm
The 312 had sat on on pallet since 1964, the bottom end was a reman short block that was never cranked. The top end was treated to a set of SS intake and exhaust valves, rebuilt the YH Carters along with the complete replacement of all fuel related parts.
Motor is completed and running fine, my only fear is of the Dearbomatic type A tranny.I would rather leave it OEM original, but at the slightest hint of slippage , I will retro fit a Velvet Drive.
Thanks for the kind words Paul, I will hand the keys to ya at River Run if you show........Test run not far off.....
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 7:25pm
I think it's awesome...unless it has another one of those damn thumb throttles.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 10:21pm
Greg, it had a heel/toe foot throttle, this was scrapped for a more modern Morse. The thumb throttles are cool , but the linkage to hook up for the Y block were too great.A used MV 1 served the purpose nicely.Also upgraded , under duress from Pete , was the steering . All new Morse NFB steering, along with a larger rudder.
More pics to follow soonof the front deck, sanding out the first two coats tonite.Many coats to follow.........boat dr
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 10:39pm
Holy ***************e, Billy.    That is a beautiful craft. Amazing work you have done.

Hats off to you, Doctor.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 9:33am
I missed this, I'm sure this boat will be fast, as its had the odd tweak to help it.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 9:57am
WOW Billy if you had let the cat out of the bag earlier I might have been planning a trip to the SJRR myself.

The fore deck on that boat is almost an artwork!!!

Billy now that the pictures have been posted we need the story to go with it.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 11:40am
Amazing attention to detail! that thing is beautiful. Jeff
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 12:19pm
Lewy, Not much more to add to the story that Roger started, but I will try for the hi lites...
We have little verbal history of the boat,but this is what the seller told me.
The boat was used untill 1963/1964 when the engine developed a small oil leak , possibly caused by the #5 connecting rod exiting the block.With a bit of aluminum welding, on the oil pan, to the close up the wound, along with a fresh short block, the engine sat on a pallet for 45 years.
The owner suggested a revarnish on the hull while the motor was removed, this was started, but after the owner death in 1964 no more work was done on the boat. The dealership in Cinncinati kept her inside till the fall of 1986, when the building and all contents sold to a new owner. At this time she was moved to a less desireable, but covered storage.
Fast forward to Oct. 2010, The boat and motor are found intact in a pole barn with many old cars and trucks.The tip led to the purchase of several classics including the boat.
The new owner was a car guy, not knowing what he had, he placed it on E Bay for a quick sale.I contacted the owner and offered him a buy it now price. He agreed to allow Gary Blackburn to survey the boat and it's hardware before making payment.
Gary's opinion was less than what I hoped, but I still wired him cash to "make the deal go down". Mr. Blackburn was good enough to be my point man, from start to finish.I am sure his wife was happy to see another CC in his drive.
In September Karen and I drive to Gary's house to remove it from his driveway and take her on her first road trip in 45 years.From Ohio to Charlotte for a survey from Pat Crusse @Crussen Classic's. He suggested transom work and a major refinish of thre deck and sides.Very little rot was found, as the boat was a jewel in the rough.
That is a shortened version, but hopefully that tells most of the story as I know it.I still have a long way till I wet her back side,but when I look at those pics in Gary's drive, I know I have come a long way baby.......Boat dr
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 10:46am
New Pictures from Billy

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:45am
Billy is on a roll now,there no stopping him great work.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 12:15pm
Very nice boat Dr. Great work!!
83Ski
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:03pm
Looking great Billy. Is that nautolex vinyl on the floor?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:07pm
YES,the floor is Nautalex Sandstone, tho not OEM , nor period correct, it is the product I chose to use. The covering boards are also covered in Nautalex, it is called "underliner" very durable...I think it was a good choice on both products.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:24pm
I like it. I was going to use that in my Skier as a more period correct floor cover but pennies started adding up fast and I figured since it is available I can put it in there after the kids trash the red carpet.

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic