Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering cable replacement on a 95 SN - do it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering cable replacement on a 95 SN - do it!
    Posted: January-04-2011 at 12:57am
Hey everybody, Mark here. For those of you who are debating your ability to change the steering cable on your 95 Nautique (or other years as well), I recommend you do it. It is simple! If you do not mind getting a little dirty and getting down on your belly or back this is a must do job. My 95 Nautique that I just bought back in November was so hard to steer it took two hands to wrestle it. I can now turn it with one finger. Do you know how it feels to have bald tires on your car, and when you finally get those new tires you are amazed at how easy it is to drive and curse yourself for not getting them earlier? Same thing with the steering cable.

First, talk to the good folks at www.Nautiqueparts.com in White Lake, NC. I came very close to ordering the $277.00 OEM steering cable which is 19-1/2ft. long, but decided to call them for advice. They told me the standard, 20ft. teleflex cable works just fine and it was much less- just a little over $180.00 including shipping and taxes, after the planetnautique discount (pnd). Then, proceed as follows:

1. Remove engine cover, back seat, rear floor panel, and the footrest underneath the steering wheel. My footrest had a speaker in it that required disconnecting - just two wires.
2. Remove the four bolts holding the cable to the steering box, underneath the dash.
3. Remove the one bolt holding the steering cable to the rudder arm.
4. Remove the steering cable from the pipe that secures the cable at the stern. I had to use a pipe wrench to hold the pipe while I unscrewed the nut with an adjustable wrench. Now the cable should be free, but check to see if it is tied down anywhere.
5. Tie a small rope to the hole in the rudder end of the cable. I used clothesline rope. Tape over the not with ducktape to secure.
6. Start pulling the cable out from under the dash. It should be easy to pull out but if you meet resistance check to make sure it is not tangled in something like the bilge wires. You will have to use a little muscle once you get to the end and are pulling the last bit of cable through the hole underneath the dash. Observe how you will work the new one back into the hole and down through the floor of the boat.
7. Once out, remove the rope and tie it to the rudder end of the new cable. This is where you will need someone to help you.
8. Start feeding the cable through, while the other person gently pulls on the rope from the stern area. To me this was the hardest part, but with patience and strong abdominal muscles you can do it! Continue feeding and have your helper make sure you are not getting tangled with those bilge wires again.
9. Put new cable through the pipe at the stern and reconnect the end of the cable to the rudder arm. Make sure you tighten this securely for safety. Tighten the nut on the rudder end of the cable to the pipe using your pipe wrench and adjustable wrench again.
10. Position and reattach the cable to the steering box, making sure the teeth line up and mesh properly. As far as alignment, I simply left the rudder straight and the steering wheel straight and reattached everything just as it came out. You can work with this if not aligned properly.
11. Turn wheel and have your helper make sure you still get full range left to right on your rudder. (Try not to smile when you first turn it!).
12. Replace everything in #1 above.

I'm sure many of you have better ideas or advice on this and I would love to hear it, since I am a "newbie" (that can't wait to shed that label). Again, you will be amazed at the difference. I had my 10-year old son helping me as well as my father, and it was a great Saturday morning project. So do it - you will love it!

Thanks Keith for a great website and resource.
Mark,
Charlotte, NC
95 Nautique 351
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 10:59am
Good job Mark,

I had the exact same problem with my 96' when i purchased it last september. Only thing different I did was after I pulled cable from the steering wheel, I used an air cuttoff wheel, cut off bulky rectangular piece with gear in it, then i duck taped the rudder end to the end of the old cable making it as smooth as possible, then pulled the old cable from the back of the boat carefully feeding new cable under dash at same time. Had to reach under and cut a couplt zip ties, but other than that, went pretty smooth. Did it by myself. Dont know if it was the correct way, but it worked pretty well.
levin
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 9:12pm
Great write up Mark. I had to go through this process with our 96 SNOB. I fought with wine for a while and finally learned a trick to getting the new cable started or the old one out-Thanks to Jody Seal.

Make sure to check for zip ties holding the cable up in the bilge. Mark or remember them so you can replace them when you are done.

Originally posted by dillon5 dillon5 wrote:

8. Start feeding the cable through, while the other person gently pulls on the rope from the stern area. To me this was the hardest part, but with patience and strong abdominal muscles you can do it! Continue feeding and have your helper make sure you are not getting tangled with those bilge wires again.

Remove the black blower hose under the dash (should be three of four phillips screws) and reach your arm down to follow the guide line. This will give you an idea of cables path as it goes into the bilge. You can now feed the cable through with your hand essentially under the floor. Once you have the first 2 feet of the cable through it should pull pretty easy, just keep and eye on the bilge wires.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 9:23pm
Some more Steering cable talk and good information from Jody Seal can be found here
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I fought with wine for a while and finally learned a trick to getting the new cable started or the old one out-Thanks to Jody Seal.

Yea your not supposed to fight it just accept it.Or just drink beer instead.
Seriously I can't believe how many of these newer boats need cables,they must not be made the same as the old ones.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 10:57pm
...trust me, I was drinking enough beer that night. I couldn't hardly get the cable started and had a few choice words for it before I gave up. If it weren't for the guys here I would have never got that dang thing back together. Once you know the trick of the trade it's a breeze!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I fought with wine for a while and finally learned a trick to getting the new cable started or the old one out-Thanks to Jody Seal.

Yea your not supposed to fight it just accept it.Or just drink beer instead.
Seriously I can't believe how many of these newer boats need cables,they must not be made the same as the old ones.

Gary you beat me too it The 73 got a new steering cable in 2004 which is a pretty good run. Does sound like the new ones break sooner.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 11:05am
Thanks for all the info and advice guys. I read Jody's blog which was a lot of good information.

My question after reading it is whether or not to install the four small stainless-steel washers between the pinion and the steering rack. They were not there when I removed it, and it seems to work fine now, but I want to do it right. Next time I do this I will upgrade to the newer pinion assembly so I can use the new Teleflex Extreme cable, but hopefully that won't be for a while.

Mark
95 Nautique 351
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gary you beat me too it The 73 got a new steering cable in 2004 which is a pretty good run. Does sound like the new ones break sooner.

I too have to agree and am always amazed at the cable failure rate. The steering systems in my 64 and 77 are still going great!! I know plenty of 60's and 70's boats with original systems that are still great. CC must have switched to the cheap ones!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 11:52am
It is not the idea of CC switched to the cheap ones! MasterCraft, Malibu and all the inboard manufacturers utilize the same product across the board for the most part. Cable failure is very previalant in all the brands of boats in the inboard world. Teleflex Morse is the manufacturer of these cables and You might need to rephraise too they dont build them like they used too.
Correct Craft / Nautiques do a better job of routing their cables and do not bind them in radical bends I can not say the same for the other manufacturers. I find myself changing out more other brand boats cables then Correct crafts.
One of the biggest cable killers is an overabundence of bilge water. I would be willing to bet that you all that claim your 60's and 70's cables are still going great are in boats that I classify as trailer queens, They maybe get 20-30 hours a year and spend most of their lives either on a nice boat house lift or on the trailer in a garage. Normal service life for a cable is between 400 and 600 hours. Go put 300 hours on your boat this summer in a slalom course or heavy wakeboard use enviorment and see how long your old system holds up. Again the majiority amount of cables I cnage out are in 400 plus hour boats. Over at the ski school (Cory's) he has a 2600 hour 08 boat that we have put two cables in, so in 2600 hours and counting the original he got about 870 hours per cable , Not Bad!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 12:54pm
Jody,
When posting my above comments, you came to mind and I wondered what you'd have to say!

So, as I read your responce, I clearly get the idea that all ski boat steering systems are not meant for higher hours and wet bilges and should be "trailer queens" or on a lift all the time!

60's and 70's boats aren't high hours?

Better quality steering systems are out there but of course do cost more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 1:19pm
For the record, our 88 had 1900 hours when I put it on the trailer and sold it to Ryan. Had the original cable and spun extremely well.   
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 2:21pm
60's and 70's boats if they have lasted till now with out special restoring yes are predomitly low hour boats. We had a 82 2001 that we put about 400 hours a year on for about three years, after two years we had to install a new steering cable and exhaust manifolds, that cable lasted the next six years because we got a MasterCraft and did not utilize the Nautique for more than about 20-30 hours a year. We sold that boat in 89 and to this day it still has the second cable in it But again it only gets 10-20 hours a year and has now become a trailer queen and the guy that owns it has called of course looking for a cable for that boat.
About 30% of the time other problems with in the steering system are masking what the owners deem to be cable problems most of these issues are dry rudder port and in some cases grawdu in the stabilizer tube. Some with the early Teleflex Rack and pinion can have the rubber boot over the tilt mechinisim not seated correctly and bind between the wheel hub and the tilt unit, one min fix!
I have never seen a cable that worked correctly after 700 hours of use they either have to much play in them or are stiff. I think for safety sake for your passangers and fellow boaters The steering cable is an Item that needs to be replaced after 500-700 hours or excessive time in years (what that number is I dont know but 10 years IMHO is to much) anyway their is no way to take the sealed unit apart and inspect it.
Pete You might want to leave the floating furniture in the barn get your trailer queen ski boat out on the water quit pulling tubes go pull real skiers, barefooter's and maybe even load up the phat sac's and pull boarders and surfers for 400 hours or more this summer and come back and tell us what you had to repair or replace. we can compare repair lists against my 500 plus that we will put on our new 200.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 11:20pm
Jody,I realize as a hobbyist I don't have any experence,but I have not had any trouble with mine.Here are some pictures of my low hour trailer queen when I got it 20 years ago.It has to this day the original cable.As you can see it never had water in it either    
My Dad has his '78 Shamrock,a 20+ year saltwater boat,with the original cable and sold his '87 after 20 years of saltwater with it's original one too.This boat owned since new had over 1100 hours
I'll bet the new ones quality is not as good as the older ones,but like the Japanese of the '50's the Chinese will turn things around.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 12:21am
It's got to have something to do with the cables they make these days as I know that it is not unusual for a 1-3 year old Malibus to need a cable. I used to see people post about it often on themalibucrew. I think putting it away clean helps prolong the life.
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2011 at 1:11pm
Hey Mark - Looks like we made similar purchases last fall. Looking forward to this coming summer as I give my 95 some much needed TLC over the winter, which is unusually cold for NC. Keep me apprised of your maintenance. So far I have done the following:
- replaced steering cable
- winterized with anti-freeze
- refinshed platform
- replaced various gas shocks.
- turned a new walnut knob on my lathe for the throttle
- repacked prop shaft
- replaced trailer bunk carpet
- relocated bow-stop on trailer - it was sitting too far forward.

Thanks,
Mark
95 Nautique 351
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 1:00pm
Hey Mark,

I think were on the same page, so far here is my list

-replaced carb, fuel pump, plugs, wires, when purchased. boat sat for three years without being in water and carb was all fouled up. put new one on and runs perfect
-replaced steering cable
-changed fluids and winterized myself
-just built a ski/wakeboard rack for fly-high pole last night, I will try to post pictures later, turned out pretty sweet
-purchased new 1442 acme prop, cant wait to see the difference from old to new

to-do list
-put new wood nob on shift lever
-install new depth finder
-going to use herculiner roll on liner on the keel to protect
-reupholster back 3 seats, they have some cracks
-install new head unit for stereo, need one to play ipod

I think thats about it for now, nothing to major, just some little things to do. good luck with your projects

Mark
levin
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 9:19pm
thanks for the thread. replacing my cable in next few weeks.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 11:34pm
Everybody,
One of my questions was never answered - do you think I need to put the four small SS washers between the pinion and the steering rack?
Thanks,
Mark
95 Nautique 351
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2011 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by dillon5 dillon5 wrote:

First, talk to the good folks at www.Nautiqueparts.com in White Lake, NC. I came very close to ordering the $277.00 OEM steering cable which is 19-1/2ft. long, but decided to call them for advice. They told me the standard, 20ft. teleflex cable works just fine and it was much less- just a little over $180.00 including shipping and taxes,

Skidim's website says:
* 1982 and up Correct Craft's use a proprietary length cable only available from a CC dealer. Exceptions Nautique 226, 2007 up Nautique 210, 220, 230, 236 use a 21' Teleflex Rack cable.
* Steermaster MK III cables are NLA, the Uflex Rotary System is the replacement and requires you to enlarge the mounting hole in the dash.

I'm wondering if I can go with a Teleflex cable too. But if so, what length for the Sport?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2011 at 1:54am
All old cables are due to break when put under stress. It is best to replace if you are worried but you can get many more years of service out of them if you shut it down during a turn and always turn to the left.
83Ski
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2011 at 4:32pm
Don, are you planning another get together down here?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2011 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

All old cables are due to break when put under stress. It is best to replace if you are worried but you can get many more years of service out of them if you shut it down during a turn and always turn to the left.

Nascar
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 12:19pm
Just re found this thread and wanted to make a comment. I bought a 95 a super sport in '13. Put it away for the winter,and on reuse in the spring found it now took both hands to turn. I cut open the old cable to find out what was going on,it turns out the cable was in perfect shape but that the lubricant had dried out and was actually sort of gummy causing it to bind in the outer jacket. Technically not a cable problem but a lubricant one,but as you know no way to repair.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 1:14pm
Gotta think they handled the older ones differently. The 85 still sports its original and the 86 did until two years ago. 86 had about 1500 hours on the cable.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 1:50pm
I agree with ^^ my 76 is on a replacement cable, age is unknown but I'm certain its at least ten years old, dads is 19 and both boats steer and handle like a dream. I just recently bought a new replacement as I know I'm approaching borrowed time. Seems like every 96-2002 boat I looked at this year that had original cable was nearly seized up. My '06 Carolina Skiff is undoubtedly on its last season for a steering cable but granted it sees 90% salt.

In fact on my Skiff I had to remove the "dust" cap off the feed tube about 5 years ago because it kept the old grease in the tube and the old grease dried and seized up the steering.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 2:16pm
I think they figured out they don't sell many cables if they last 30+ years. I assume the white gunk inside has a specific useful life in time and it gums up to produce a tight cable.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2015 at 1:19pm
So, 20ft cable for a 95 Ski Nautique?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2015 at 2:15pm
19.5 (Technically)
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 1:28pm
Bringing back an old thread...

our 95 ski nautique steers effortlessly on the trailer but it's pretty stiff in the water, and very annoying.

Is this the steering cable? why is it perfectly fine on the trailer?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic