NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 teardown

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 2:09pm
Your right Eric! I should have had them look at making me a 351 but we already had the block done and it's sitting waiting to be built.

Called Cylinderheads.com today to order some gt-40's, said they didn't have any in stock. I looked around a bit this morning but haven't really had a chance to dig into search. Anyone have any leads?

Once I get the heads we'll be ordering a stroker kit and then starting the build. Hopefully we can find something soon.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 2:14pm
I have used tristatecylinderheads.com before and was happy (however since then they have become thier number one seller and gone up $150 in price) others have used clearwater http://cylinder-heads.com/products.cfm..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 2:16pm
seems like a lot of work and $ when you could freshen a 351? i know i am not a ford guy so enlighten me . oh and the gen one hull? faster seems to come at a cost . the way it handles causes a steep rise in underwear costs. if i could do it again i would leave that one stock and build your style hull into a 55 plus
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 2:23pm
A fresh 302 bored .030 over with the aforementioned gt40ps, mild cam, and intake will walk all over a 351w with stockish heads. The stroked 302 will also still fit under the doghouse.

As for what hull's are fast, and which ones handle better.. no real winner between the earlier (mid to late 60's) and later ( early 70's) mustangs/skier/skylark as far as I can tell. Neither handles worth a darn compared to any of the ski nautiques, and both could use considerable rudder improvements if you are actually going to see the mid 50s IMHO.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 2:30pm
so in other words you could need new supplies of underwear in either hull.

Joe does ford only have 2 block sizes like chev?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 2:36pm
If you are talking about external size for chevy blocks like small block vs big block.. then no ford is not the same. The 302w block is a different external size than the 351w block. The difference is not hugh and many parts can be shared with some work but don't assume anything will swap directly. The 351 cleveland block is not commonly found marinized but it is actually in the big block family.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 2:39pm
thanks yes i meant outside dimensions
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 2:51pm
The square fiberglass motorbox that CC started using in 1970 (though '81, I believe) should fit a 351w under it just fine. It was the earlier (through '69) swoopy glass boxes that arent wide enough for the larger block. I agree that starting with a 351w would be preferred IF you can source all the other parts (block, distributor, etc) for cheap. Since Chris had already started putting money into cleaning up his 302, then sticking with the smaller block makes sense- it will weigh a few lbs less too.

I have yet to see a stock 1st gen Mustang hit 50, though Ive seen a few 2nd gen Mustang/Skier/Tiques do it. The hp difference (~10hp) isnt big enough to blame... I think that, on average, the 2nd gen hull is faster. There are a few slow ones out there (like my Skier and Reid's '73 Stang) that plow or underperform somewhat, but Ive actually yet to see a Tique that doesnt bounce at high speeds without requiring weight in the back. Reid has measured the hook on both and says the 2nd gen has less... so that may be why.

I think the Tique with the single tracking fin tracks and turns 100% better than the un-finned boats (1st and 2nd gens alike), though Id never change the way the earlier boats handled... thats part of their charm. The 1970+ rudder may not be the best out there, but its certainly better than the "lillipad" rudder that came on all 68 and earlier Stangs. The recessed strut also seems to be a better design on the 2nd gens.

Chris, I just sent you an email. Clearwater (cylinder-head.com) should have the heads youre looking for. I believe you forgot an important detail. Youre not looking for "GT40" heads, you want the "GT40p" heads. Theyre not the same. The P heads flow better, are cheaper and are more readily available. Tristate has them too (at a $200 premium) though they come with better valvesprings and supposedly a better valvejob. If going with a cam with more than .500 lift (which a 331 might not mind) then the better valvesprings are probably advised anyways. I dont think Reid's Speedpro is that aggressive though- so youre ok with either set when paired to that cam.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 3:29pm
Tim, you were right...called the wrong place. For future reference this is the place to find the gt-40p heads. 205 a piece and 50 bucks shipping.

I talked with John back in parts who said it would be 2 days to work the heads and 4 to ship so I should see them sometime wednesday. I'm going to have them sent right to the machine shop since I'm scheduled to be out of town next week.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I have used tristatecylinderheads.com before and was happy (however since then they have become thier number one seller and gone up $150 in price) others have used clearwater http://cylinder-heads.com/products.cfm..

Either they gave you a deal or you got them awhile ago Joe,I just checked their site,they are the same price as I paid 2 years ago. Anyway they are a good deal,I had that much tied up in a rebuilt set 20yrs ago
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 12:05am
They were 450, that was 4 engine builds ago so it has been a while.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 12:43am
That was a very good deal then. Are you still using them or have you "out grown" them ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 10:07am
my comment was geared towards stroking that 302 to a 347, not throwing in the towel and going with a 351, it was more or less if your going to stroke, stroke it..I road in a couple 347 mustangs (cars) well worth the efforts....lottsa low end torque
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 10:09am
right up to the high end
"the things you own will start to own you"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 6:39pm
Well I am back from a week of work in Vegas and got to enjoy some beautiful weather here in Iowa working on the boats. I started by taking some detergent water and scrubbing the bilge since the motor and trans are out. What a difference some elbow grease makes! I'll have to snap some pictures when I get home tonight to show the results.

On the motor end, I should be seeing the heads today or tomorrow. I was hoping they would come in on Friday but I guess we can wait another couple days. Once these are in we'll order pistons and get a stroker kit picked out. I'm still torn between a 331 and 347 but I've done some reading and am leaning toward a 331, nothing final at this point.

While I'm waiting to get the motor back I figured I would start getting the Trans and misc parts ready for paint. I need to find some high temp green like Keegan used to get the mainfolds back to the original green, As for the motor itself, I am probably going to go back to the Dark blue and keep it more original looking.

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Stripped all the black paint off the manis and got some painting done today. Back to original green.

More images to come tonight.

Happy Valentines day!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 6:44pm
The paint I used is Plastikote "Hot Rod Green" Enamel 500 degree engine enamel. Marty got me the first can and I bought a second. Car quest has it or can get it, but I would assume anybody that sells plastikote could get it. It is warming up here too. In the mid to upper 60's all week. Sweeeet!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 6:57pm
Chris, not much else to say other than !

Send some of that warm weather out east, will ya?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I'm still torn between a 331 and 347 but I've done some reading and am leaning toward a 331, nothing final at this point.

Chris why don't you give Billy a call,he has a 331 for a reason.I think it's something to do to with the length of the rod to stroke angle and the wrist pin being up into the ring lands on a 347.Car wise your not up into the higher rpm's for long but boat wise you can go for miles!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 9:34pm
That green looks great! So who has the info for the very dark blue to go with it. I'm trying to do the one in JMurph's orange Promo to take to the SJRR.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:20pm
Gary, thats a great idea. I would love to catch up with the Doc anyway!

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

That green looks great! So who has the info for the very dark blue to go with it. I'm trying to do the one in JMurph's orange Promo to take to the SJRR.

Reid, I will hopefully know tomorrow if nobody chimes in until then. Going to stop at a few places and see what they have to say. They said they can match it at the machine shop but I'd like to know what it is so I can paint the trans the same color. I'll give ya a call tomorrow either way. Don't want to bother you tonight as I'm sure you are with the Mrs.

Here's a quick shot of the clean bilge. I used a bucket of hot water, laundry detergent and a scrub brush to start. Once I got everything loosened up I went over everything with a damp rag (wiring and cables). I finished by removing all the extra water with a shop vac and drying with a towel.

Looks a little better than before, huh?

I'll get some better quality pictures up in the morning.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:29pm
Chris,
Go for the 331. I drove Billy's a couple years ago at GL and trust me, it was enough engine to say the least!!!

Also, I feel it has a higher level of reliability.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:30pm
Not sure that this wil help....

I found this ....

Ford Colors

http://www.fordification.com/bumpwiki/index.php?title=Ford_Engine_Colors

Light blue - a.k.a. Old Ford Blue
1963 (some applications) - 1965
Duplicolor DE 1601 (Ford Blue)
   Corporate Ford Blue

1966-1968
Orig Ford PN: EP-2075-C
Duplicolor DE 1621 (Old Ford Blue)
PPG DAR 13358
   Ford Blue

1969-1981
Duplicolor DE 1606 (Ford Dark Blue)
TRW #630224
Eastwood's "Dark Ford Blue"
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:36pm
Pete, that was one of my concerns before. I think your right and the 331 will be plenty of boat for what were going to use it for.

Looks like we found the correct colors thanks to Critter.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 11:10pm
Are you guy's looking for the blue like mine? It's Ford Blue 1941 to 1948.It's a very high quality paint,I painted it 20yrs ago,here's the link,they have other Ford colors too.The cast iron is brushed,it leaves no brush marks,the steel parts and the bellhousing is sprayed.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 4:00pm
No real updates on the motor progress other than the heads coming in and getting ready to order pistons.

I've had several good talks with Reid and Billy in the last couple weeks. I can't thank these guys, and all the help from you guys here on the site, enough as I would be either lost, broke down or still ticking away with out you all.

I have a question on rear main oil seals. Does my (1978) 302 have a 1 piece or 2 piece oil seal? After talking with Billy, he informed me that you cannot find them for a RR 302. He suggested going to a junk yard a buying an old seasoned 302 with a 1 piece seal.

I'm not opposed to doing this but want to make sure it's necessary. We've already done the work to my block so it'd save me the 100 bucks for the seasoned block and the cost of having work done to the seasoned block.

This is where I get in a little over my head, so any information on this from a 302 standpoint would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 4:19pm
On the 351w, the change in 1 vs. 2 piece seals came around 1982 or 1983. Im not sure about the 302- but I would assume you'll need to know what year block youre using before ordering the stroker crank.

Im confused by Billy's comments, my understanding is as follows:

-The 2 piece (older) block will have wick lines in the CRANK. The seal itself is bi-directional (no wick lines).

-The 1 piece (newer) block will have wick lines on the SEAL, so it is rotation specific.

The latter 1-piece (reverse rotation) seal is the one that is difficult to find- but I think Reid had some made up for when he converted his 347 from LH to RH.

The 2-piece seals are nothing special and readily available.

It sounds like youre assuming that your 302 is of the older, 2-piece variety. I would have a chat with your machinist and see if its possible to add RH wick lines to the new crank. If not, then going with a newer block and and Reid's seal is certainly an option. The crank would not need any machining in this case.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 4:39pm
I didn't think those new stroker cranks came with any wick lines at all . But if Chris or anyone else with a one-piece 302 needs a RR rear seal, I've got them, as I believe we had 25 made in order to get a decent price break, and like Tim said they were for the 347 we had built. I'll probably be stuck with them for years to come.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I didn't think those new stroker cranks came with any wick lines at all . But if Chris or anyone else with a one-piece 302 needs a RR rear seal, I've got them, as I believe we had 25 made in order to get a decent price break, and like Tim said they were for the 347 we had built. I'll probably be stuck with them for years to come.

A Reidp sighting! Back from Daytona yet?

I think youre right about the "new" (1-piece seal) cranks not having wick lines. I would imagine the ones for the 2-piece blocks would have them though, right? Summit makes you specify which style you want when shopping for a crank.

I bet if you throw those seals in the for sale section here you might sell a few... there always seems to be a market for impossible to find parts. Just make sure you keep a few on hand, just in case!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I bet if you throw those seals in the for sale section here you might sell a few... there always seems to be a market for impossible to find parts. Just make sure you keep a few on hand, just in case!

Reid, I've got dibs on one of them!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 5:31pm
Reidp definitely be da man with the seals, I can confirm that if you have a later stroker crank for one piece seal blocks u will need a one piece seal block. Other wise u will go to tighten your last cap and find yourself with a rotating assembly that doesn't rotate. 315 567 1273 - Joe
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic