Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Upholstery

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Upholstery
    Posted: October-06-2010 at 11:25am
I know its been discussed before, but I cant find anything using the search feature.

Getting ready to re-upholster the interior of my 89 SN. Any tips / warnings from the guys that have done this before? I am planning on pulling the skins and re-installing the new ones myself.

Any suggestions on where to get new staples? I'm assuming I need to use Stainless?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Chris4x4gill2 Chris4x4gill2 wrote:

Any suggestions on where to get new staples? I'm assuming I need to use Stainless?

Chris, Home Depot or Lowes carries stainless staples and yes you need to use stainless. Only advice I can give is take your time and don't hurry just to finish a portion to get it done. I'm sure they'll be guys to chime in that have redone the interior themselves. I only replaced loose staples in mine.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 3:53pm
Thanks for the tip, I didnt think HD or Lowes would carry the stainless ones.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 4:29pm
Chris, How much are you doing yourself? Are your buying replacement skins and simply removing old cover and staples and then replacing with new? Or are you buying vinyl on a roll and cutting patterns sewing and all that?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 3:18am
Can give you more advice when the skins arrive. I am a trained upholsterer but do it only as a hobby, mostly home furnishings. Start with the easiest pieces to help the learning curve. Generally Pull over and loosly tack cover in the center of sides(magnetic tack hammer and tacks driven about half way so they can be removed), if all is centered well, staple from the centers to the corners, working all the sides a litle at a time rather than finishing them individually. Heat from a heat gun can help on complex corners but it takes a fine touch and it is easy to overheat and melt the skins. I usually heat from the back side. Some pieces have "Trimmers" to pull a center seam down. A piece of foam is removed and one half of the skin is tacked in place, then the trimmer can be stapled in and the remain ing foam piece put in place. tack the second half and then staple the whole piece. If you have not done this before there is a lot to watch making sure you are keeping all the sides pulled the same amount, and then staying the same from piece to piece. I did mine before I found this site, I wish I had done a photo series to show others.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 3:33am
If you can find an uphoilstery supply store, a good quality staple remover will speed up the process.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 9:55am
I just had to take off my side panels while installing the stereo, a staple remover is a must, there are thousands of staples. I would say at the very least get a good electric stapler, if you have air, a pneumatic gun is even better. I borrow one from my upholstery guy, he loans out his old spare, it wasn't working properly and I had to take it aprart after every shot the last time. As you can imagine that got real old real quick, so I found some stainless staples for my hand stapler. It's a huge difference, very hard to get them where I wanted, and almost impossible to go through multiple layers on the corners with the handheld stapler. I've used an electric one to do trailer bunks before and they have the power, but air is the way to go if you can.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:11am
Steve - I am buying skins and installing them myself. No sewing for me (I hope)

Dave - great explanation. Thanks for the tips. I hadnt thought of trying to use the heat gun to help stretch it. I'll try to find a staple remover, Would one of the big box craft stores have them you think? Like Hancock fabricks or Hobby Lobby? Or will they ones they have be junk?

Don - I have an air staple gun - I dont think I'd try this without it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:34am
ok guys, do you recommend something liek this....

(Fencing pliers)

or this:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:53am
Not the pliers, the second one will work but this is my favorite, I find it the fastest as it lifts both staple legs at once.

Osborne
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:57am
See if Rochford supply will sell to you online. Search staple lifter on their site. About 17$
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 2:50pm
Rochford will, but their shipping almost doubles the price of the puller. I'll see what i can find locally first.
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 8:12pm
Chris, where are you buying your skins? I'm planning the same project this winter.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 9:32pm
I purchased a complete set for my 1988 SN from Christines. Pricey but looks like brand new. Glad I spent the $$$
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 10:16pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 12:42am
Chris,sometimes the staples are labeled "monel" at some stores
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Chris,sometimes the staples are labeled "monel" at some stores

FWIW, I went out of my way to find monel staples and they didn't work. The were too soft and just folded up when I tried to use them. Ended up getting regular stainless staples. Both were arrow brand.

Also, as far as tools, I used a screw driver to pull the staples and a hand gun to install. If I was doing it for a living I'd load up on better gear, but they didn't slow me down much at all. Building seat bases took me longer than installing the skins.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 3:36am
The trouble is getting under the staples. A standard screw driver ground sharp like a chisle would probably suffice, us one just narrower than the staple crown to get a good even pull. watch your hand placement holding the piece, a slip can go right into the opposite arm or hand, then you regret having a sharp puller.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 3:43am
My cheapo electric arrow stapler was worthless. I wanted to use the wide crown staples, My upholstery stapler with thin wire staples drove great but you have to use groups of staples close together to prevent ripping through in situations like starting the middle of a side.
1987 Ski Nautique

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2010 at 12:37pm

I'm using http://www.copycatcovers.com/

Chris how did your skins turn out?

One of my customers against my advice went ahead and ordered a partial set of skins for a 92 SN from Copycat covers. My advice is to utilize either a good local upolsterer or Christines.
This Copycat group was a nightmare to work with for my customer and for me to try and install the skins. workmanship was poor and the skins did not line up nor was consistant from unit to unit. Two comming pads, love seat base and back and corner and of these only one we were able to install correctly. Copycat even had the pull off skins for patterns and still was wrong.
Anyway beware of the Copycat. Stick with Christines!

Florida Inboards Inc.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2010 at 4:42pm
I dont have them yet. I went with Copycat purely based on price. I did see several good reviews from them on other forums, but also a few negatives like yours. For the price difference I am willing to take the chance. So far, they have been very good with communication and answering my questions. But I have yet to see an actual product. I should have them around christmas.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2010 at 4:53pm
Thanks Chris!
We wound up not being able to use the love seat base skin at all on this project and are having a local shop stitch a new one that will fit.
as for the rest of the work it was a cheap alternative and thats what we got!

Cheap is small and not too steep But best of all cheap is cheap Circumstance has forced my hand To be a cut price person in a low budget land. Times are hard but we’ll all survive I just got to learn to economize! I’m on a low budget!
Ray Davies!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2010 at 9:28am
My boss just requested I recover his his Kawasaki PWC seat. It is a simple pull over cover but with compound curves. I hope to pick up some 4 way stetch vinyl early next week and do a photo set or video of the project. I will post it under a seperate topic.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 1:31am
Post a link to the thread here when you get it up!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 1:57am

Post a link to the thread here when you get it up!

I'll keep you informed. I let you know when the tutorial is done too.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 10:49am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 5:49am
a thread has been posted in the maintanece section titled upholstery process.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 9:47am
Chris, Did that help? Are the photos too small?
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 11:20am
yes, it does help. Larger photos would be helpful, but I was able to see them pretty well as they are. Looks liek I need ot order a tack hammer and a staple puller still.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 9:03pm
Chris, You could probably get by without the tack hammer, useing a lower air setting on staples so they hang out and remove easily of finding an angle with an electric would do essentialy the same thing. I still recommend the professional staple remover. They are slick. The model I use with the two prongs mkes it easy to remove staples that are stuck by onr leg. Just twist them in the two prongs and they come right out rather than having to keep picking up a pliers.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic