NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which power valve

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which power valve
    Posted: October-02-2010 at 10:26pm
Hi all,
I'm getting a carburator renew kit from Skidim but supposedly it comes with the wrong power valve. It's an'85 2001 with 351 and Holley 4160. Apparently it comes with a 2.5 valve whereas a 6.5 is needed. Is this all correct?
Thanks!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2010 at 11:02pm
The new carbs from PCM come with a 2.5 , they should know....
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 12:14am
A 5.5 was what your boat had from the factory.
With your combination and vintage of hull consider a pv that comes on at lower speeds.
I bought a factory fresh carb and found the 2.5 dull and flat from 2500 to 3500 rpm and was not satisfied with it. Too lean in the high load cruise of ski speeds. I feel they setup the new carbs for newer, lower drag hulls.
You can try the 2.5, it works for some, but I think the 5.5-6.5 is superior for typical applications.
Try them both, another data point would always be welcome.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 12:36am
Thanks! How much work is it to change 'm out, in case I want to try both?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 12:51am
Remove the fuel line, 4 fuel bowl screws, 5/16, remove front fuel bowl with equalizer tube. Do not lose the small O Ring on each end of the tube,and you are looking at the PV............Boat dr
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 3:19am
Does anybody know if its necessary to check the vacuum of the engine to get the right power valve? I thought I had read somewhere that that was part of the process and that there is a calculation you use with your vacuum number as part of the equation. I checked my vacuum yesterday as I was winterizing the boat, and got 15-16 at low idle. I want to get a renew kit for mine as well and had been wondering which power valve to get.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 9:57am
Dave,
I'd open up the carb and see what's in there now.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Does anybody know if its necessary to check the vacuum of the engine to get the right power valve? I thought I had read somewhere that that was part of the process and that there is a calculation you use with your vacuum number as part of the equation. I checked my vacuum yesterday as I was winterizing the boat, and got 15-16 at low idle. I want to get a renew kit for mine as well and had been wondering which power valve to get.

No, The PV doesn't really matter what the vacuum at idle is.

I think you have some procedures crossed...

IF you were setting up a car or truck, and wanted to economize for steady-state cruise, one would plug the PV, set the mains till one noticed a lean surge at cruise, then richen 1 size.
Then measure the vacuum at cruise with the richer jets. then subtract one or two inches from that and that sets the PV size, so it opens when you get on it, but is closed when just cruising.
Then one fills and redrills the PVCO's to 50% of the main jet size, to deliver 25% more fuel when the PV is open. That is the optimal stoiciometric difference between lean, high vacuum cruise and max power conditions; 25% more fuel.

Most " universal" holley's have oversize PVCO's to keep hotrodders from fragging their engines and blaming holley. That is why they belch black then they punch it, and our boats do not.
The Marine and Medium duty truck holleys, like the 4150G, are setup precisely for high-load, extended duty conditions, and have properly sized PVCO's

Although we 'cruise' in the boats, its not the same. A car needs only about 20-25 hp to maintain 65 mph. A boat is in high-load almost always, and in most applications, the PV best be open by 28-30 mph or sooner, else the throttle is dull and flat to small inputs, because its too lean for the loading.

If you keep the 2.5 PV, it won't open till just before the secondaries open, at less than 2.5 inches vacuum.

My box-stock 600 4160 was dull and flat at 34-36 mph, and needed to get into the secondaries sometimes to compensate for slalom pull, just when i need precise throttle input. But secondaries responds relatively slowly.
Simply changing the 2.5 to a 6.5 or 5.5 makes the engine more responsive to precice throttle inputs, and doesn't flirt with the secondaries compensating for skier pull at 34-36 mph.

The main jet sizes stayed the same over the last 30 years, fundamentally the needs of the engine and boat didn't change. I think the 2.5 PV in the rebuild kits and new carbs was an ill-concieved attempt to reduce fuel consumtion, but it think has penalty for performance in most applications.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 11:42pm
good info there tom!!!
makes me waana change the 4.5 pv that came in my carb to a 6.5 I have around...lol
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 12:35am
Pete....Yes, I plan to take it apart to see what PV I have on there now. The biggest problem I am having is that it hesitates and dies out on hard acceleration...sometimes. An intermittent thing.

Tom....I will agree with Sebastian, YOU KNOW YOUR $h*T when it comes to carbs. I had to look at your profile to see if you owned a carb shop. You have obviously dug into a few carbs. I think I did have my wires crossed. I had just remembered hearing recently that vacuum played a role in selecting the PV.

So guys, if the boat runs really good most of the time, except on hard accel, do you guys think it sounds like an accelerator pump issue? Would you bother with a whole renew kit?

I plan to take the carb apart anyway just because I want to learn more about what makes them tick, and to find that acceleration gremlin.   
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 2:49am
David, I have to say that digging into my carb has me understanding Holley's very well now. I still want an EFI boat for my next CC though.

I run a 6.5 PV on mine, and I had a 6.5 before.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 11:56am
Thanks,
Been dinking with them on the side for 25 years or more. Usually when someone's boat doesn't work.
However, some of the more reliable information has been from pantera user groups;
If you think our engines are finiky, team a hyper overcammed canted valve 6500 rpm smalblock with oversized intake ports to enthusiasts that want it to perform in all conditions as if enzo had made it.
I'm always learning, and corrected on some things here too.

River Rat to Mole
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 3:53pm
Comment from Skidim about the 2.5/6.5 powervalve:
"We have found the 2.5 works fine, but if you want a 6.5, put in the special comment section."

On another note:
"CCFAN agreement ended, but you can use "layup" through the end of October for 10% off (also 3 other promo codes on our homepage)."

Anyway I'll get both valves, if I get to try them I'll let y'all know how it went.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic