Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woke up 84 - Purrrs like a kitten!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woke up 84 - Purrrs like a kitten!
    Posted: August-23-2010 at 11:20am
Trying to wake-up my 84 that’s been sleeping since it was winterized in the Fall of 2004. (351 PCM Ford w/ 550 hrs.)

Finally got her uncovered and gave her a quick bath.
Trying to find the time to get her fired-up again.
Doesn’t seem to want to turn by hand.
Soaked a few days with Marvel Mystery, then sucked that out and soaking with PB Blaster.
Put battery in and bumped with key.
Seemed to move slightly, but now seems like starter is still engaged?
Pulling starter next step?
I’ve also been told that an impact wrench on the pulley bolt is the best bet. (not sure if it’ll fit between pylon though?)
Unfortunately, I’m a real half-ass mechanic with very little time to work on her.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 11:25am
Try a breaker bar and socket on the front end of the engine. You won't have to worry about the pylon in the way besides, I'd worry about using a impact. You don't want to break something!!

The starter drive stuck because the engine is stuck. The drive usually disengages when the engine fires up over running the ring gear on the flywheel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 11:45am
Peter,
This is what I did -
15/16" socket, on a 3" extension, on a swivel drive.
I then added about a 2' pipe (only thing I had) slipped over that.
Gives me about 2'-6" to 3'-0" leverage off the bolt.
But so far doesn't seem to want to budge.
Not sure if I've got enough leverage or even how much pressure to put on the bolt (scared of snapping/stripping it)?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 12:19pm
Yes, you can only put so much pressure on the front end.

What's the condition of the battery? Starting or deep cycle?

On one occasion when I was afraid of putting too much pressure on the breaker bar, I ended up using a hole saw and drilling a hole in the bell housing right over the ring gear. Then very carfully using a large screwdriver engaged into the ring gear teeth would "walk" the engine backwards slightly then bump it with the starter. I did this maybe 5 or 6 times and broke it loose. Then I used a "cap plug" to close up the hole in the bell housing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes, you can only put so much pressure on the front end.

What's the condition of the battery? Starting or deep cycle?

On one occasion when I was afraid of putting too much pressure on the breaker bar, I ended up using a hole saw and drilling a hole in the bell housing right over the ring gear. Then very carfully using a large screwdriver engaged into the ring gear teeth would "walk" the engine backwards slightly then bump it with the starter. I did this maybe 5 or 6 times and broke it loose. Then I used a "cap plug" to close up the hole in the bell housing.

Whoa! Don't think I could drill a hole!
Looks like rain for the next couple, so she'll continue to soak.
Battery's always been on a tender, but maybe I'll give a different one a try.
Is it better to just touch starter bolt instead of going thru Ign.?

At first I was scared-shiet when she wouldn't budge, but researching old hot-rod and boat sites seems fairly common due to storage.
Every thing was running great when she was put to bed, so got my fingers crossed that nothing major should be wrong!
From what I've read the route is - Soak, Patiance, Soak, Patiance.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:14am
Does anyone know if there is anything else that I should be doing besides soaking the cyls.?
Is there anything else that might be frzen up?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 9:04am
Originally posted by NAUTI84 NAUTI84 wrote:

Does anyone know if there is anything else that I should be doing besides soaking the cyls.?
Is there anything else that might be frzen up?

That's all you can do at this point. So, you don't want to try out a electric hand drill with a 1" dia. hole saw in it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 9:39am
The oil on the dipstick is clean, right? If so, you could pull the distributer and prime the oil system. That might help a little. It would at least get oil on most places that are about to turn.

I used the meathod Pete mentioned, but I was able to use the crank bolt to turn it back; and it only needs to move a bit for the starter to get a new swing. That little bit can also strip the crank bolt and the starter won't like it either, so easy does it.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 10:12am
you would be surprised since all the plugs are pulled to air the cylinder, hope one is at tdc on the comp stroke and put air to it, 150 psi works well, this generally will break it free..keep fingers away
"the things you own will start to own you"
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 10:55am
Eric,
That sounds interesting. Are you saying go plug hole to plug hole with an air hose @ 150psi? (What am I keeping fingers away from?)

Boy am I hoping to keep away from drilling 1" hole in the engine!
jayc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 11:21am
I'd keep my fingers away from anything that has the potential to move, like pulleys and belts etc.

I've seen the odd bellhousing with a plastic plug in it and wondered what it was for. Now I know.

1982 Nautique 2001 - 351W Dual Fuel
1982 Ski Tique - 351W Dual fuel
1996 Maxum 210ss -350 EFI Dual Fuel
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 11:32am
You'll need one of these to screw into one of the plug holes and then put the compressed air to it. Since the engine is locked up, it will take some trial and error to find a clyinder/piston on the compression stroke. You'll know right away because if it's not on compression, the air will just blow by a open valve.

Good suggestion Eric!! You deal with more lock ups than I do!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 12:39pm
interesting. good idea.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 12:58pm

You'll need one of these to screw into one of the plug holes and then put the compressed air to it. Since the engine is locked up, it will take some trial and error to find a clyinder/piston on the compression stroke. You'll know right away because if it's not on compression, the air will just blow by a open valve.

Good suggestion Eric!! You deal with more lock ups than I do!!

Are you guys telling me that an air hose might have a better shot of freeing her than the starter and/or breaker bar????
Pete - Do you think I would I be able to use a rubber plug fitting, with my weight behind it, and hold in place?
I'm pretty sure I can tell which cyl's are at TDC from when I used a plastic tube to suck the Mystery oil out.

You mechanic guys love this stuff, for me it's nerve-racking. I just want to bust her loose without messing anything up!
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:29pm
I am curious how this works out. Very interesting...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:59pm
My trick with mine was to move it back and forth. If you can get it to move even slightly then you are home free just move it a little more each day while keeping it soaked in Marvel Mystery. You don't want to force it, the method is more like polishing the cylinders using the piston and rings while turnign the engine by hand.

More On Erics advice....

Air to #1.
        If # 1 is not at TDC you could use air to any cylinder on the compression stroke to move the engien forwards or backwards.

Just pull the distributor cap and see which cyl the rotor is preparing to fire. If you are between 2 then the one it is past will turn the engine forwards and the one ahead will turn it backwards.   This will change as the engine moves and piston / valve position changes.

Mine fired up and ran smooth even after a deep freeze (Previous owner) cracked block and engine seizure from sitting in water. But then the cracked sleeve did me in.     
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Whitfield Whitfield wrote:

Just pull the distributor cap and see which cyl the rotor is preparing to fire. If you are between 2 then the one it is past will turn the engine forwards and the one ahead will turn it backwards.   This will change as the engine moves and piston / valve position changes.     

Very good idea!!

No I don't feel you'll be able to hold the pressure with a rubber plug.

Have you tried using your wrench set up on the front end of the engine to go the opposite way as suggested?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 4:12pm

Have you tried using your wrench set up on the front end of the engine to go the opposite way as suggested?

Sitting in the observer seat -
I first tried counter-clockwise (down to the left) which I believe is the way the starter turns the engine. That seemed to want to loosen the bolt.
Pressing clockwise (down to the right) seemed to tighten the bolt all the way but wouldn't budge it further.
When I bumped the ignition-
I bumped twice. It seemed to move very slightly on the 2nd bump, but then wouldn't bump anymore. That's when it seemed starter was locked in (Battery cables were getting hot).
I then tried jumper cables direct to starter bolt - No bump just a spark.

I'm figuring that once it stops raining, I should try jumpers from my truck battery, just to make sure the old boat battery wasn't lacking the kick power.

Do you think that air hose adapter can be found at a local parts store, at something like NAPA or PepBoys?
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 4:44pm
I'm not a mechanic, but reading through this thread the things that come to my mind are:

1)The battery is at least 6 yrs old just sitting on a tender?
2)Just checking, did you have the plugs out when trying to turn it over?
3)If the battery is bad could it have caused the starter to lock up & make it even more difficult to turn it over?

Go with Tim Allen- More Power!!!!!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 4:59pm

Do you think that air hose adapter can be found at a local parts store, at something like NAPA or PepBoys?

Yes I'm sure they would have one but Greg above has brought up a good point. I too have thought about the battery condition. There are good battery "tenders" and bad ones but also the age of the battery is in question. Put it on a regular charger to make sure it has a full charge and then take it with you too the auto supply. They can do a load test on it which is really the only good way to determine a batteries health.

How are the battery cable terminals? Have you cleaned both them and the lugs on the battery with a wire type battery terminal cleaner?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 5:01pm

. . .

. . .

Potential problem. Can you pull starter and make sure it spins when energized somewhere other than on the seized engine?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

. . .

. . .

Potential problem. Can you pull starter and make sure it spins when energized somewhere other than on the seized engine?

I realy don't feel this will tell anything. Of course it's going to spin. We know there is continuity due to the warm battery cables plus but more important is the "Bendix" drive engaged. They don't engage unless that starter turns! A starter is really a pretty tough device. About the only things that go wrong with them are worn bushings causing the armature to drag on the field and worn brushes.

The engine is locked up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 5:34pm
In an effort to free the engine, if the starter bendix is engaged with the flywheel teeth , aren't you trying "back drive" the starter. If so WOULD it take more force to break the engine loose than normally?
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 6:00pm
Plugs are pulled. Cables and posts were cleaned. Battery read at +12v. But I think jump from another one may be the next step.
I was thinking the same - that if starter is engaged, aren't I trying to turn the engine against it?
Guys - thanks so much for the sounding board. I need all the help I can get to work through engine stuff!   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 6:28pm

Plugs are pulled. Cables and posts were cleaned. Battery read at +12v. But I think jump from another one may be the next step.
I was thinking the same - that if starter is engaged, aren't I trying to turn the engine against it?
Guys - thanks so much for the sounding board. I need all the help I can get to work through engine stuff!   

Without power to a starter, the armature spins real easy. The only drag is the brushes on the commutator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 7:01pm

Hang in there buddy. Once you hear that motor fire, maybe you wont put her to sleep so long next time...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 7:06pm
Pull the pulley off balancer,usually 3 bolts.Install 2 longer bolts all the way into balancer pry between bolts with long bar.Rock back and forth until full roration has been achived.Alot of times you can pull harmonic balancer and fit a large 12pt socket over the crank nose and it will catch the key.

Bob
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:28am

I ended up using a hole saw and drilling a hole in the bell housing right over the ring gear. Then very carfully using a large screwdriver engaged into the ring gear teeth would "walk" the engine backwards slightly then bump it with the starter. I did this maybe 5 or 6 times and broke it loose. Then I used a "cap plug" to close up the hole in the bell housing.

Pete,
Was wondering, wouldn't pulling the starter give me access to the gear teeth like the 1" hole does??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 9:05am

I ended up using a hole saw and drilling a hole in the bell housing right over the ring gear. Then very carfully using a large screwdriver engaged into the ring gear teeth would "walk" the engine backwards slightly then bump it with the starter. I did this maybe 5 or 6 times and broke it loose. Then I used a "cap plug" to close up the hole in the bell housing.

Pete,
Was wondering, wouldn't pulling the starter give me access to the gear teeth like the 1" hole does??

Yes but then you need to R&R the starter everytime you want to "bump" the engine in the opposite direction. The real danger with doing this is screwing up the pilot bore for the starter with the shank of the big screwdriver. It also only allows you to access the side of the ring gear for the screwdriver to engage the teeth. The hole over the top allows you to really get the screwdriver down deep into the gear teeth. You don't want to damage the ring gear.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:35pm
Scott I think sun is gettin ready to come out!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic