Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 14151617>
Author
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2011 at 5:30pm
Well I am still working on the boat. She is pretty much done. Here are a few pics

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2011 at 5:46pm
You do nice work sir! When is the maiden voyage?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2011 at 6:05pm
As soon as the wind dies down here on the east coat of FL. It's blowing 25 MPH
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2011 at 6:34pm
nice tower!!! no speaker or board racks!!!

nice work there john!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
aquatop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquatop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 4:51am
A question about how you reinforce the outboard bracket to the transom. Did you have to thicken the interior before bolting on the bracket? If so how was it done and how thick with what material.   The 300hp yamaha must weight close to 600lbs and the fish nautique was not design for an outboard but I have one and want to put on a similar heavy outboard on mine. I have an Armstrong V shape bracket and wanted to install but saw that the exterior skin is only 1/2-3/4" thick and the interior skin is much thinner.
Aquatop
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 9:06am
Originally posted by aquatop aquatop wrote:

A question about how you reinforce the outboard bracket to the transom. Did you have to thicken the interior before bolting on the bracket? If so how was it done and how thick with what material.   The 300hp yamaha must weight close to 600lbs and the fish nautique was not design for an outboard but I have one and want to put on a similar heavy outboard on mine. I have an Armstrong V shape bracket and wanted to install but saw that the exterior skin is only 1/2-3/4" thick and the interior skin is much thinner.

First, welcome to CCfan. Are you putting this outboard on a Fish? We'd sure love to see some pictures!

Second, take some time and go through John's complete thread on his rebuild. You will then find what he did to reinforce the transom.

Third, if you'd like, add your first name to your profile. Spending some time on CCfan, you'll find that most here go by first names rather than screen names.

Fouth, if you do infact have a Fish, make sure you get some pictures and text submitted for the diaries section. Not to many Fish's around so it would be a fantastic addition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 2:57am
Awesome job John! I just went back and looked at the pictures at the start of your thread,really a transformation.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 10:54am
Thank you Gary, I am hoping to have some professional pictures in a few days of the inside and outside. As soon as I get them I will post them for everyone to see. She has only been wet once. It ran ok, the carb is in bad shape so I bought a new one and need to put it on. I will keep everyone posted!!

John
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 12:38am
Calling all you motor heads.. I need help

The motor in the Fish is an 81 351W serial #212936 Model # PRD WR R10.
PCM says this is a Right hand rotation motor. Does this mean that it truley turns opp. of a car? If so, is the cam also a right hand cam? I am asking this so I can try and get the motor running right. I have had the boat in the water a few times and I can't get the motor over 3000RPM without it falling on its face. I just put a brand new in the box Holly marine Carb on it and I am still having the same issue. The timing is spot on and the dist. is also brand new. Coil seems to be fine but I have not changed that yet. Wanted to try and pick a few brains here before I just keep spending a bunch a money on things that are not bad. Thank you all in advance.

JOhn
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 1:01am
this may be a dumb question but did you adjust the carb? Same thing on the dizzy is the dwell/gap set correctly?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 10:53am
Gas flow restriction? Check fuel pickup, anti-sihpon valve, filter, maybe even pump.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 11:00am
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

PRD WR R10.
PCM says this is a Right hand rotation motor. Does this mean that it truley turns opp. of a car? If so, is the cam also a right hand cam?

Correct, yes, and yes. R = RH. Im not sure what this has to do with getting your engine running properly though.

I have had the boat in the water a few times and I can't get the motor over 3000RPM without it falling on its face. I just put a brand new in the box Holly marine Carb on it and I am still having the same issue. The timing is spot on and the dist. is also brand new. Coil seems to be fine but I have not changed that yet. Wanted to try and pick a few brains here before I just keep spending a bunch a money on things that are not bad.

I would have started asking questions before starting to throw parts (and money) at the problem, but I guess better late than never.

Before we can help, you'll need to give us some background info and some more details:

1. What transmission do you have in the boat (presumably a Velvet Drive 1:1)?
2. What prop are you running?
3. Describe how the boat runs. Does it come out of the hole strong and run right up to 3000 RPM? Does it run at a higher RPM momentarily and degrade to that level? Or is it doggy all the time and never gets above 3k?
4. What size and style Holley did you put on the boat?
5. Describe "perfect timing". Did you check the base? The advance? What did you get for total timing (at 3k RPM)?
6. Have you verified the firing order? What is it?
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 5:30pm
John, you have done a great restoration to the boat but the motor is a pain in the ass to get set upight. Yer it is a reverse rotation motor. I tried the Holly carb. and it lasted a while the lots of problem and the carb. mechanic down here didn't so I put an elenbroch and it runs fine. The oly other change I made was electronic ignition. I set the timming to +6 deg. and run regular gas with a bottel or two of octaine buster and no pinging.

Have you weighted the boat now that it is rigged?

After watching about 3/4 of your rebuild I decided to sell the boat because I don't have the time and I'm to old. Plus it used to much gas to use it for charter. We still have a 23' ponga with a 100 HP 4stroke so it payes for it self and I still catch some great fish. Good luck.
Don Liberman
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 10:05am
A plus
"the things you own will start to own you"
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2011 at 2:06pm
Did you have the tower powder-coated, or is it painted? It looks really sharp!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2011 at 7:32pm
Its all powder coated. Thank you. I do like it alot better then the Alum look
taylor114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylor114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 1:54am
hi

your boat project is amazing.

im redoing the engine compartment currently. need to put new steering in. i know about the 10.5" throw on the correct craft unit. did you re-install this or do hydraulic? how does your turn at slow speeds?

would love to hear what you think is the best option.

thanks
taylor
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by taylor114 taylor114 wrote:

hi

your boat project is amazing.

im redoing the engine compartment currently. need to put new steering in. i know about the 10.5" throw on the correct craft unit. did you re-install this or do hydraulic? how does your turn at slow speeds?

would love to hear what you think is the best option.

thanks
taylor

Hey Taylor,
I went with Hydraulic. It doesn't turn very good at slow speeds but if you hit the throttle a bit and back it down it respondeds well. I am not a fan of the teleflex steering systems, so I am not a good person to ask about whats better. I also went Hydro because I have another steering station in the tower. Love to see some pictures of your boat!!!

John
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 4:40pm
hey John!

did you finish the boat? pics?
water test?

fishing?
lol
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 10:37pm
Hello everyone. I am in need of some transmission help. I had the tranny in my boat rebuild and have been taking it out when I get time. The other day I put the new prop on and wanted to see if she was dialed in. Well she is dialed in.... 4400RPM 41MPH on the GPS. I am so happy. Well to the issue. Backed her down to 3500 and was crusing when the the boat jerked and we lost forward. Tranny fluid all over the bildge. Took the motor and tranny and to find the front seal popped out???? What causes this. I took it back to the oerson that rebuild it but I don't want to get the run around so I am asking you all what should he tell me???

John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:01pm
John,
The front seal popped because of a bad rebuild. You just can't put in a new clutch pack and say it's good. That front seal does not see any pressure if the pump is good.

You didn't send it to FFM did you!!! You sent it to someone who thinks he knows about rebuilding but should stay in the back yard!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:03pm
John,
The front seal problem is well documented in past threads.

Sorry to hear about the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
The front seal popped because of a bad rebuild. You just can't put in a new clutch pack and say it's good. That front seal does not see any pressure if the pump is good.

You didn't send it to FFM did you!!! You sent it to someone who thinks he knows about rebuilding but should stay in the back yard!!

No clue who FFM is???? But no I had it done by a local shop who said they could do it...... This sucks!! I am suspose to have the boat in the Keys for a week in May. Any suggestions on someone in the central florida area to do the job right?????

John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:23pm

No clue who FFM is????

FFM is fantastic finish marine and CCfan's best trans expert Eric Lavine. You need to spend more time reading other threads here!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:41pm
It will cost a fortune to ship that heavy little thing. I am doing a search now. :)
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 2:45am
Pete you're not paying too much attention to some threads... but Eric's no longer in FFM or the trans repair bussines.

I dont know if he would do one for a CCFAN though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 9:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

FFM is fantastic finish marine and CCfan's best trans expert Eric Lavine.

Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Pete you're not paying too much attention to some threads... but Eric's no longer in FFM or the trans repair bussines.

I have been paying very close attention to what happened at FFM. In fact, Eric and I have had several PM's on the subject. He is still involved in FFM and does go in to FFM several times a week to see how his new owner is doing. It was a former employee and per Eric is as competent as himself.

I tried to phrase my comment above in a way that didn't directly connect Eric with FFM but I guess I failed!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 9:21am

It will cost a fortune to ship that heavy little thing. I am doing a search now. :)

Not really. It will fit into a plastic milk crate that you screw a plywood top to. Then, it will go UPS or FedEx. Many many here have done it.

Like I said, you need to look at some of the other threads here on CCfan!

BTW, one of the threads was regarding a member in Florida who got stung real bad by a local shop who said they could do a rebuild. It turned out this shop was real "back yard" as well and his trans blew the front seal. They "rebuilt" it again and it blew again. The member sent it up to FFM and they did a proper rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 1:17pm

Hello everyone. I am in need of some transmission help. I had the tranny in my boat rebuild and have been taking it out when I get time. The other day I put the new prop on and wanted to see if she was dialed in. Well she is dialed in.... 4400RPM 41MPH on the GPS. I am so happy. Well to the issue. Backed her down to 3500 and was crusing when the the boat jerked and we lost forward. Tranny fluid all over the bildge. Took the motor and tranny and to find the front seal popped out???? What causes this. I took it back to the oerson that rebuild it but I don't want to get the run around so I am asking you all what should he tell me???

John

Call Art Cozier in Orlando, I we have a number of exchange Units that Art re-builds for us here at Florida Inboards Inc.

FFM Is also a great place to go but then again the shipping on a Borg unit can get rather expensive. I send all my V-drive Hurth stuff Dr.Levine and would send the Borg their to, it is just that the Borgs are rather simple unit and Art can do them blindfolded.
PM me if you want Arts contact info or you can contact him at acozier@nautique.com
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 8:26pm
Well it looks like the pump was bad. It was not replaced in the rebuild, so I have one on order and my trany guy is doing it for me. Not the fault of anyone in my opion. Yeah he should of told me to replace the pump but at the same time I should have researched it a little more. Anyways should be back in over the weekend.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 14151617>
  Share Topic