Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 17>
Author
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project
    Posted: December-01-2013 at 2:31pm
Yeah that definitely doesn't factor in the year and a half I spent on it. I worked on it pretty much everyday.

John
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2013 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

As for the total cost of the resto. It was well over the 10K mark after I was completely outfitted.
John

Which not counting your time is less than a new high hp outboard
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2013 at 1:54pm
I do specialize in boat restoration but I did have fiberglass experience before I started the resto. I was no pro but I had an understanding of it. After the resto I would say I have a great understanding and respect for the people that do it everyday. The equipment you see in the project, I purchased just for the resto. It saved me sooooooo much work and time. Is it necessary for a project like you are wanting to take on........not really but just don't get to far ahead of yourself when you do the glass work. Better off doing sections at a time and then blending them to be right. This does not apply for the stringers. I suggest getting a few of your good buddies to help with setting the stringers.

As for the total cost of the resto. It was well over the 10K mark after I was completely outfitted.

John
mymarinemechanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymarinemechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2013 at 10:20am
why yes it is. He never finished the stringers so I am starting from scratch. I did get all the materials he purchased to do the job along with the boat. I am currently rebuilding the two engines that came with the boat originally. I saw your blog and I see the similarities in what he was trying to do the only difference is this boat has two motors. if you don't mind me asking, how much did the hull restoration end up costing you? also, in some of your pictures I saw some special equipment do you specializes in restoration?
My Marine Mechanic
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2013 at 10:30pm
Is this Adams old boat? I would love to chat with you about it. Adam came to look at my boat a few months back. Guess he couldn't handle the restore? Good luck with it. I know he got the stringers from compsys here in Melbourne fl. If I can be of any help let me know.

John
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2013 at 9:21pm
Although I havn't seen him on lately Art is active on here, holidays might have him busy .
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymarinemechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2013 at 9:15pm
thanks for the response. I will post pictures of this disaster as soon as I can. I was told Walt was the owner and a gentleman named Art was the builder at that time. I was also informed that there were only three of these models built. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much
My Marine Mechanic
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by mymarinemechanic mymarinemechanic wrote:

My boat was one of 3 built and was built for Walt Malone the old owner of Correct Craft.
Thanks
Dieter

Dieter,
Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures? We love them!! Make sure you also make a diary entry. We want to have every CC in the world in the CCfan diary section!

BYW, I suggest you look into the history of CC. Walt was NOT the owner!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymarinemechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2013 at 6:30pm
Hello, I have the same year hull with twin V6 inboards. My boat was one of 3 built and was built for Walt Malone the old owner of Correct Craft. I have gutted the hull & started the stringer system with composits.
1) +/- what did this project cost?
2) Where did you find the hatch forms/inserts?
I like what you did in the rear deck...not sure I would attempt it myself...not real comfortable w/glass work yet. I have been fixing boat engines, drives & electricals for many years but never got into glass & paint before now.

I have 1 inch NidaCore for the deck, 2 inch stringer forms & 4 inch bulb heads. I am in south florida and am interested in finishing my 1981 Fish Nautique, so any information would be helpful.

Thanks
Dieter
My Marine Mechanic
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 1:44pm
Yeah all the cables are run through that black tube. It is on the opposite side of the steering wheel, so not much of an obstruction. Maybe for the person sitting next to me (aka the wife ).

John
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 5:16am
She looks really great jzarski!
Looks quite cool with all the fishing rods on it

Are the cables from your control unit at the top running through that black sleeve? Is it not in the way when driving the boat on the lower console?
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:12pm
Looks teriffic jzarski!

Nice job.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:03pm
These where long over due. Boat is still doing great. I love this thing.

CaptStoots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptStoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 9:54pm
How's the engine work coming along? I love your boat would love to see some more pictures!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 11:08pm
Boat is doing great. The oil pressure issue was just a bad sending unit. She was in the water Monday for a few hours. Except it wasn't me who had her out it was my friends. I will post some pictures of it in the water. Going to take it out Saturday for some family fun in the sun.

John
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 9:48pm
I hope John worked things out and has been enjoying the Fish Nautique. I just re-read this thread to get me ready for tearing into the San Juan.

John, if you're able to we'd all love to see some pics of it in its natural habitat - water instead of in a garage or on a trailer.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 5:28am
How is that boat looking now?
Nice to see this thread pop up again.

Post some pictures of her please
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 6:52pm
Check the wire connection at the sender. Long shot, but easy check.
ā€œBeer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.ā€

Ben Franklin
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 4:35pm
Need some help with my 351. I am loosing oil pressure at the 3500 RPM range. This is what is happening.
I have 40psi at idle and up to 3000RPM. soon as it gets up around 3500 and up it drops to 20psi.
Now I checked oil level and its reading full. Does any one have any suggestions? I am going to put a mechanical gauge on it to see if its a electrical issue, but any other ideas would help.

O yeah, motor info is
1981 PCM 351w

John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 9:57pm
John,
I'm sorry but I disagree regarding it not being his fault. Any reputable mechanic is not going to rebuild something with known bad parts. I wonder if he knew or even checked it? The bottom line is he did a half a##ed "rebuild".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 9:22pm
luckily you didnĀ“t toast the clutch packs...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 8:26pm
Well it looks like the pump was bad. It was not replaced in the rebuild, so I have one on order and my trany guy is doing it for me. Not the fault of anyone in my opion. Yeah he should of told me to replace the pump but at the same time I should have researched it a little more. Anyways should be back in over the weekend.

John
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 1:17pm

Hello everyone. I am in need of some transmission help. I had the tranny in my boat rebuild and have been taking it out when I get time. The other day I put the new prop on and wanted to see if she was dialed in. Well she is dialed in.... 4400RPM 41MPH on the GPS. I am so happy. Well to the issue. Backed her down to 3500 and was crusing when the the boat jerked and we lost forward. Tranny fluid all over the bildge. Took the motor and tranny and to find the front seal popped out???? What causes this. I took it back to the oerson that rebuild it but I don't want to get the run around so I am asking you all what should he tell me???

John

Call Art Cozier in Orlando, I we have a number of exchange Units that Art re-builds for us here at Florida Inboards Inc.

FFM Is also a great place to go but then again the shipping on a Borg unit can get rather expensive. I send all my V-drive Hurth stuff Dr.Levine and would send the Borg their to, it is just that the Borgs are rather simple unit and Art can do them blindfolded.
PM me if you want Arts contact info or you can contact him at acozier@nautique.com
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 9:21am

It will cost a fortune to ship that heavy little thing. I am doing a search now. :)

Not really. It will fit into a plastic milk crate that you screw a plywood top to. Then, it will go UPS or FedEx. Many many here have done it.

Like I said, you need to look at some of the other threads here on CCfan!

BTW, one of the threads was regarding a member in Florida who got stung real bad by a local shop who said they could do a rebuild. It turned out this shop was real "back yard" as well and his trans blew the front seal. They "rebuilt" it again and it blew again. The member sent it up to FFM and they did a proper rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 9:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

FFM is fantastic finish marine and CCfan's best trans expert Eric Lavine.

Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Pete you're not paying too much attention to some threads... but Eric's no longer in FFM or the trans repair bussines.

I have been paying very close attention to what happened at FFM. In fact, Eric and I have had several PM's on the subject. He is still involved in FFM and does go in to FFM several times a week to see how his new owner is doing. It was a former employee and per Eric is as competent as himself.

I tried to phrase my comment above in a way that didn't directly connect Eric with FFM but I guess I failed!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 2:45am
Pete you're not paying too much attention to some threads... but Eric's no longer in FFM or the trans repair bussines.

I dont know if he would do one for a CCFAN though.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:41pm
It will cost a fortune to ship that heavy little thing. I am doing a search now. :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:23pm

No clue who FFM is????

FFM is fantastic finish marine and CCfan's best trans expert Eric Lavine. You need to spend more time reading other threads here!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
The front seal popped because of a bad rebuild. You just can't put in a new clutch pack and say it's good. That front seal does not see any pressure if the pump is good.

You didn't send it to FFM did you!!! You sent it to someone who thinks he knows about rebuilding but should stay in the back yard!!

No clue who FFM is???? But no I had it done by a local shop who said they could do it...... This sucks!! I am suspose to have the boat in the Keys for a week in May. Any suggestions on someone in the central florida area to do the job right?????

John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:03pm
John,
The front seal problem is well documented in past threads.

Sorry to hear about the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 17>
  Share Topic