Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy Here!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MD11Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD11Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy Here!!
    Posted: July-17-2010 at 8:01am
Hello enthusiasts, I am in the market to buy a used Nautique and was looking for a thread on pre-purchase boat inspections. Looking for a forum search option...is there one??? I am so stoked to have found this forum on my way to becoming a fellow Nautique fan...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 12:49pm
ask away, alot of knowledge here
"the things you own will start to own you"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 1:17pm
Tool bar just above your post. Magnifying glass and the word search. Welcome to the site.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

MD11Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD11Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 3:42pm
Thanks guys for the quick reply...finally found the search option, but no thread to a pre-purchase inspection list or a "what to look for when you buy a used Nautique" checklist....anyone got some tips???? I wanna seem halfway knowledgeable when I buy my 'baby'...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 3:47pm
I'll pull something up for you. What year boat are you looking at?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 3:49pm
This should get you started. Written several years ago by M3fan, who also participates on this forum. BKH

Pre-Purchase Checklist
1992 And Earlier Correct Craft Boats

Most information for this article was taken from the PlanetNautique forums.
Forum member M3Fan’s information in THIS THREAD is widely used here.

If you’re considering the purchase of a Ski Nautique 2001 (Produced from 1982 – 1989), or another older Correct Craft, this article will give you some general information about things that you should check for before making your purchase. This article is not meant to include all items that should be checked during a used boat pre-purchase inspection. It is meant to point out possible trouble areas in older Correct Crafts. These checks should be performed along with any other necessary inspections when looking over a used boat.

All 2001 series Correct Crafts used wood in their construction, which can deteriorate over time if not kept in check. Well-maintained boats can still be found showing no signs of problems related to the wood used in their construction, but it is always a good idea to check the items listed below if you’re considering a 2001, or another Correct Craft built before 1993. Correct Craft stopped using wood in their construction in 1993.

The following steps should be completed
when inspecting a Pre-1993 Correct Craft for purchase:

* Open the engine cover, and you'll notice hex-head bolts, probably about 4 on each side, running parallel to the engine on the edge of the floor, on the edge of the engine compartment. These are lag bolts screwed right into the wooden stringers. Bring a socket wrench with you and try to tighten each one. They should still bite into the wood well. If they spin freely, the boat probably has some deterioration of the wood in the stringers.

These bolts also continue to the back of the boat under a removable floor piece that covers the prop shaft. Spin those also. Engine mount bolts are also a good indicator, as these attach to wooden mounts as well.

* Walk around on the floor and feel for soft spots. This isn't as big a deal as the stringers, but is still a big job to fix.

* Often when you see a boat with a replaced engine, it's due to improper winterization. When I was shopping around, almost every early 90's SN I came upon in the north had a new engine or short block.

* Drive the boat! The engine should idle smoothly and run hard up to 4400 rpm on the water.

* Make sure the oil pan isn't too rusty- replacing this involves removing the engine from the boat.

* Look in the bilge for fresh oil spots, as this could be a sign of leakage.

* The transmission should shift smoothly, and transmission oil should be clean. The transmissions on these boats are fairly expensive to replace.

* TALK to the seller. Have them describe parts of the boat and feel out their personality. This can tell you how well the boat was taken care of while they owned it.

* The prop should spin smoothly with minor resistance when turned by hand. Position yourself directly behind the propeller, and spin it by hand. Check to be sure the shaft spins smoothly. Any deviation could indicate a bent shaft.

* Electronic ignition is a good thing, although not offered from the factory on these boats. You may want to look for one that has been converted.
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 4:00pm
Brian beat me to it while I was looking but here is an old thread with the planetnautique reference, reference to another good old thread here plus some other discussion
MD11Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD11Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 4:09pm
Awsum guys!! I'm going to look at a 97 SN...hey, it's Saturday, shouldn't you guys be out cuttin' some passes???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 6:12pm
97 has all composite construction. No wood in the stringers or floors. No digital gauges to fail, and no electronic keypad. Great boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 7:50pm
Again, I agree with Brian, if I was in the market for a late model boat, it would definitely be a TSC 1 like the 97, I really like the lines of those boats.   Too crowded during the day....will be on the water at 7 am tomorrow   
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 1:34am
Another new guy here. Been looking at the forums and the for sale for over 1 year now, and finally decided to make myself legit.

I am looking for a Nautique that I can work on this winter. I have skied behind Nautiques for years but have yet to step up on own one. It's time. This list is very helpful.

Just curious - is a wood boat necessarily "bad"? Or can wood stay good forever if the boat is maintained well? Or, is it always safer to go with 93's at the oldest? Unfortunately, money is an object, so I'm trying to make a good decision.

Thanks!

PS - Any other CCF members here from Lake Stevens?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 8:52am
Kevin,
I think yor are referring to wood in a boat as in wood stringers correct? A wood boat is a completely different story. Wood stringers as done by the factory aren't bad but the method used will end with them rotting sooner or later. However, if the boat is striped and new wood put in using the proper methods, it's hard saying how long it would last. 60 - 70 years? There is no maintenance after the job is finished.

Welcome to CCfan. Keep us informed as to what you're looking at so we can comment. Also tell us the intended usage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 10:26am
As an owner of a 98 all I can say is you'll fall in love with a 97-99. If you can get EFI so much the better. They ski fantastic, the ride is solid, relatively quiet, and have nice lines.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 1:01pm
If you ever want to search the forum it is easier to do it through Google. Just type this in google and what you want to search for. For instance:

site:correctcraftfan.com pre-purchase checklist

This will produce this:

Search only Correctcraftfan.com - pre purchase check list

You can do this for any site that Google indexes! Pretty cool!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 3:11pm
Oh, that is a good tip on Google.

Yes - I was talking about wood stringers. I have always liked the look of the 2001 model boats and would love to find one I can work on / restore / use. May be the fact that I cut out an ad from Waterski magazine when I was in high school and taped it up inside my school locker. I had people come to my locker just to see all the waterski pictures I put up and a beautiful shot of a '2001' was right on the top.

I think I'll do a google search on wood stringers and see what I can find out.

Use will be open-water slalom skiing (me) and wake boarding (my sons), with a course run or two thrown in maybe a couple times a year.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2014 at 11:31pm
Thanks for this post. Very good points. And info. Here's a little more info on this boat. The current owner bought the boat not running because the flywheel had some missing teeth which would not engage with the starter. So he replaced flywheel and starter said the boat ran but the exhaust manifolds were bad from improper winterzation.
So that's were it stands now. Thanks again for the response.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2014 at 11:37pm
I don't know if I mentioned asking $ is $3900. The boat is only 20 min. from my house. I was thinking $2500-$2900.
Trailer is original CC and in very good cond.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 10:10am
Strega you may want to mention year and model you're talking about.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 11:42am
1982 Nautique
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 11:51am
I think you mean to post this in your other thread.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 12:08pm
The boat is an 1982 Nautique. If I didn't mention
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Strega51 Strega51 wrote:

The boat is an 1982 Nautique. If I didn't mention

Dave,
You did mention it 26 minutes ago!!
Originally posted by Strega51 Strega51 wrote:

1982 Nautique

How about some pictures. We love them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 9:43pm
Sorry about that I got the threads mixed up I guess when I went the the used boat buyers guide.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2014 at 10:27pm
I'll try to post some pics. I think I'm going to go back and take another look. Check the eng. cover and motor mount bolts to see if there secure into the stringers. I already know it needs new exhaust manifolds. All the swim platform
bracket bolts are rusted some loose. So I'm guessing the fuel tank got to come out to repair. Soft spot in the floor which I can't see how bad until I lift the carpet and floor.I've got to see if he can start the motor even with the cracked manifolds. At $2900 if he let it go for that sounds good. But we all know how much the unknowns can add up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic