Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need water pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
apbtpetey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apbtpetey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need water pump
    Posted: June-29-2010 at 5:53pm
Just received a 1975 CC Mustang 17 and looking for a water pump for it. Only markings on the engine I saw was 225 and the engine is blue in color. I am very new to boats and this was my father's boat before he passed away. Any info on where I can a water pump would be great. Also if any of you can tell me how to tell what make/size the engine is that would be great as well.

Thanks,
John
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 6:03pm
Welcome to the site John,
Post a picture of the engine and I'm sure the guys will be able to tell you what it is. Also, look for a tag on the block somewhere. This should tell what you have.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 6:09pm
John,
Get us some pictures. You may have the OMC engine or the Chrysler.

If it's the OMC, getting a water pump for it is going to be a problem. The pump was their own design and parts are no longer available with the exception of the rubber impellers. Whats wrong with it? Some with the same engine/pump have had to do conversions to crank mounted pumps. The other alternate if the pump housing is still good is to rebuild it using bearings and seals from a power tranmission supply. There are several threads on the issue.

BTW, some have called the pump "the pump out of a washing machine"!! But, it worked!!!

The Chrysler pump you won't have a problem with.

Have you opened it up yet? What's the problem?

EDIT:
John,
Thinking about the issue again, a 1975 would be too late for the Chrysler unless the boat's been repowered however, it also would have been tagged at 225. I'd say at this point that you do have the OMC. Get the pictures!! BTW, are there any markings on the exhaust manifolds?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
apbtpetey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apbtpetey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 6:28pm
Thanks for the replies. I will get pictures as soon as I can.

The problem is my father and step-mom were getting divorced. He passed away earlier this month and she got rid of most of his stuff on me, including the water pump for the boat. He had it off to fix a seal for the pump. Now the pump is gone.

Hopefully I'll have pictures up tonight or tomorrow. The boat is in decent shape for the most part. I have to redo the interior, but want to get the water pump first before going any further in restoring it.
apbtpetey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apbtpetey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 1:06pm
Well I took 2nd look at the engine and it has OMC on it where the 225 numbers are located. I think I remember my father saying it was a ford engine, but I don't see anything saying Ford anywhere. Just OMC and the numbers 225

EDIT: it also says OMC on the exhaust
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 1:28pm
John,
The OMC is a GM block.

Since you're without the pump, your best bet is to do a crank mounted pump conversion. Even if you had the old pump, as mentioned rebuilding it gets involved and tricky finding parts. The crank mount is driven via a coupling off the crank shaft. How handy are you? It's going to be some work. People here have done it and we're always around to help out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 1:39pm
John,
Get in touch with my correct craft parts. They will be able to walk you through the pump and bracket needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Get in touch with my correct craft parts. They will be able to walk you through the pump and bracket needed.

Billy (mycorrectcraftparts) walked me through this a couple years ago for my OMC. This is the pump he and I used. It bolts right up to the pulley on the chevy motor, even has little flanges on its pulley that fit into the holes on the motor pulley to assure its lined up. Unfortunately the brackets on Billy's, I mean Karen's site are designed to have the inlets/outlets face to port, which is ok, but not really aligned with how our in and out hoses are situated. Billy fabricated a nice stainless bracket for his to let it point down. Me not exactly having that skill set, went to the hardware store and bought a couple L-brackets and fitted/cut/drilled them to make it work. Sounds cobbed together but it looks just about like a Mastercraft set up, so its not that bad...but points off for not being exactly original. I can get a picture up in the next couple days of how mine went together.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2010 at 2:13pm
75 you are correct on most points.
MyCorrectCraftParts is my wife's enterprise, I add very little .She allows me to answer the phone , but not to take orders.
The water pump set up went well for you? I had to mod the same set up for Karen's 331. Lotta mods went into the same set up to mount on a FORD. This is the reason for "custom bracket" fabrication.
Volvo Penta used a similar set up in the 70&80 on both GM and FoMoCo marination's..All these parts are NLA now...We have to be open minded and think outside of that "BOX"..
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2010 at 3:47pm
[QUOTE=boat dr] She allows me to answer the phone , but not to take orders.
QUOTE]

Oh your taking orders,just not from us   ......

Going to miss you two this summer Billy, but we'll be thinking of you
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

[QUOTE=boat dr] She allows me to answer the phone , but not to take orders.
QUOTE]

Oh your taking orders,just not from us   ......

Going to miss you two this summer Billy, but we'll be thinking of you

Same but understand the distance issue.
Now, what about these orders? Who's ordering who around??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 11:37pm
No mandy pandy at the Sutton House....I wear the pants and she knows it.

Now does that count if she picks the shirt too?????

Kristof will give you the lowdown,he will spend several days here with us after GL.

We have decided that we would hang close here, try to get as many boats done as I can between now and the 19th. Then we will take a week off to show Krisof a fine southern welcome.
Gonna miss all the friends "up there" that we only see once a year.
River Run has taken on a life of it's own now, and think we need to put all our efforts toward's that CCFan event in late March...Have a blast for Karen and I..........Billy/Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic