NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looking for a transmission for 87 nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 12131415>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 10:01am
Originally posted by nautiquechick nautiquechick wrote:

When I turn the key the boat does not do anything what could this be I have the ignition button in the throttle in neutral if I push in the silver button on the throttle and push the throttle all the way into forward and reverse a couple times it might start then (more often then not) This has my dad kinda stumped knowing nothing about boat engines

Jessica,
On the trans is a switch called the "neutral safety switch". It's there to prevent the engine from cranking unless the helm control in in neutral. The silver button on the helm control is simply a mechanical interlock that engages/disengages the forward/reverse shift cable so you can give the engine throttle while keeping the trans in neutral.

Ether the shift/throttle cables need adjusting or the switch is going bad. Since the trans was R&R'd, I say it's a adjustment problem. They screwed it up when they installed the trans!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 10:04am
you have to make sure the linkage is adjusted correctly at the neutral safety switch on the side of the trans, it wont let the boat start in gear....we were wondering about you, have your dad go to the alignment thred and read thru because i have a feeling your boat wasnt aligned because it was work done after the fact.
please have him post some questions for a better understanding
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 10:14am

What exactly is a boat alignment and how would one go about doing one???

Jessica,
Alignment is adjusting the engine/trans location so the prop shaft goes straight out in line from the engine. When they installed you trans, it should have been done then. You had better check on it since misalignment will damage the trans. You sure don't want to go through that again!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 10:20am
eric dont cover mis-aligned boats, cant fool me, tried many times...a transmission is like a tree with age rings
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 11:16pm
jess good to hear you have some fun with the boat!!!
now where are those pictures!!!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
nautiquechick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 1:34am
Could someone please tell me how to get to talking about alignment. I am trying to find out how to tell if the boat is aligned or not I can not take any chances. If it is not aligned how would I align it mysel is it easy to do????? Sorry no pics yet my grandpa has been in the hosp. so I have been with him every night its bad not sure he is going to pull thru it and be the way he was before all of this started a week ago so all I can do is pray. Going to try and get away if he is better or holding his own next week. Thanks guys for any info you have to give.
nautiquechick
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 1:40am
Prayers are with you and your family. Pete seems to be the "link master" and I'm sure he or Eric will post the link to the alignement topic. I think it's simple enough to check, but I'll live you in the hands of the experts. Keep your chin up and be there for your family, the lake will always be there.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 2:02am
Best wishes for your Grandpa. Here is the link for erics alignment thread. Monty

$$$$

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 2:21am
Thanks guys. It has been a very long week or so. The stress of grandpa and now wondering if I ruined my tranny already. I put maybe 3-4 hrs on the boat with the new tranny will the alignment fix the boat not starting (I explained earlier what it was doin). Thank you for the link I printed the whole thing for my dad not sure he will be able to read it the print is very small. This gives me something else to think about or do. and thank you for the prayers they are needed and appreciated.
nautiquechick
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 4:35am
First off, with the boat on the trailer, can you turn the propeller by hand? is it smooth the whole turn?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 9:28am
and adjust your linkage!!!! maybe the neutral safety is not detenting...keeping the boat from cranking over
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:43am
Jessica, Here is a link to "Rigging" a transmission that I posted for a guy a couple of years ago. Maybe it will help... Good Luck...

Rigging a Transmission
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 1:20am
well I printed off erics thread! Headed to the lake in a couple days! Grandpa seems to be gettin better day by day knock on wood... today was his birthday 88... I will be aligning the tranny all by myself wish me luck if anyone is in deep creek feel free to stop by and give me a hand there will be beer...
nautiquechick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 10:30am
chick beer or man beer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 1:27am
whatever you prefer.
nautiquechick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 11:24pm
someone please help me
nautiquechick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 11:40pm
peeeeeaaaaassssssseeeeeee help me
nautiquechick
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:31am
Are you still having the same problem as before? Does it start? crank? or still nothing? How did adjusting the linkage work? What is it doing now?

If you were able to get the boat started (with the new tranny) after cycling the throttle back and forth a few times than the problem is most likely the linkage to the neutral safety switch is out of alignment.

This switch will not let the motor turn over if the boat is in gear. The switch itself can go bad. We had one go bad on our ’86 and the boat would only start intermittently after cycling the throttle back and forth until finally nothing.

Where is the boat…trailer or at the dock?

Have faith. Once you get the bugs worked out you’ll have years of fun that will make this headache worth it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:58am
I am not comfortable with the way I aligned it I think I want some one that truely knows what they are doing to check it or to talk to someone that I can ask my questions to over the phone I called your deep creek # and left a message chris of course you weren't there...
nautiquechick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:59am
I am so confused and prob. spending a million bucks getting on this internet in roam
nautiquechick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:01am
trailer
nautiquechick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:02am
water
nautiquechick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 1:04am
really its in the water at the dock
nautiquechick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 8:26pm
ohh my god I don't even know what to say other then wtf. Still at the lake got tranny aligned thanks so much to jfarc (john) and now the saga continues got about 5 more hours on the boat and guess what started over heating so didn't think much of it took the little ones for a little tube ride got back to the dock and a couple hours later went to go back out and the woter was pooring in the boat so I pulled up everything to figure out where the water was comeing from (with the boat running) low and behold the water was pumping in like crazy from the exaust so reached down felt the pipe and there is a foot to 2 foot crack all the way down the muffler. and again the saga continues. any recommendations would be greatly appriecatied.
nautiquechick
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 11:56pm
take out the mufflers and put in stainless pipe .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 1:44am
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

take out the mufflers and put in stainless pipe .

well said
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:06am
Jessica, Bad luck but not nearly as bad as a tranny, its a bit of a wrestling match to get the muffler out though.Glad it did not go to the bottom. Mine was sinking this spring to, be thankful yours is just the muffler. The muffler can be repaired with fiberglass or replaced. The exhaust tubing really likes to stick wherever it has been clamped I pulled the tubing from the engine first. You have to break the seal with a screw driver after the clamp is removed then work the other ends on the muffler but be carefull with the screw driver, it will poke through the muffler if you pry to much. They are usually wraped with carpet to stop abrasion and rattleing. Stainless steel will give you a really loud resonating sound if thats how you want to go.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:41am

any recommendations would be greatly appriecatied.

Sell.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 8:59pm
Don't forget the new water pump impeller.

AT
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 1:39am
Well, has anybody heard from her?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 12131415>
  Share Topic