Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wierd Velvet Drive

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wierd Velvet Drive
    Posted: April-18-2010 at 5:46pm
Hi folks, my name is Andy and I bought my first 86 Nautique 2001 last year. I ran it all last year with no issues so I am redoing the seats and a couple other cosmetic things now before the summer hits. Now I have a question for you guys, I have a pcm 351 with new heads, and holley carb. I have a had a wied vibration in the boat since I have gotten it at about 1600 rpms. We looked over the tranny, Prop shaft, cutlass bearing, and then I took my prop off, put it on our tire balancer, and found it is way out of balance, and has a small ding in it. I am looking to buy a new prop, but nobody has ever heard of the 1.52:1 transmission I have in my boat. I am not sure if it came new with it, or if somebody swapped it out for a better holeshot, or what. If anyone could give me any info on the prop size that would be outstanding. It currently has a rh 13x13 1 1/8 shaft, and will do only about 33-36 depending on wieght. Thanks, Andy
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 5:56pm
I never heard of a 1.52:1 in a CC, Mastercraft yes, even the 1.125 shaft would be strange in a CC I would say it was swapped, but again you never know, those 1.5's alaways seemed to run a 4 blade back in the day.
can you take a pic so we might be able to pick out something obvious?
like i said, never heard of one in a CC, I could be wrong
"the things you own will start to own you"
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 6:11pm
Yes I can take a pic, What exacly do you want the tranny side or propside, or both
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 6:33pm
The more pictures the better. Eric is what you can call our in house expert on trainies, I'm sure he'll be able to help you.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 6:38pm
I will get them as soon as i can, Eric was right about the mastercrafts having the 1.52 tranny, I just read about it online, they call it a powerslot I guess and calls for a 14 x 18 4 blade. I'm definitelty confused.
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 6:51pm
Your top speed and prop and transmission ratio do all match. The proper propellor would get you at least into the 40s as long as it isn't a real dog of an engine. Do you have a splined or tapered shaft on that stump puller?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 7:07pm
stock prop on the powerslots was 13x18 yes, but you want to tell us what and how you use your boat for, that will determine wich prop is best for you.

We also need to know shaft diameter. I think you want 1.125 with that transmission and a larger wheel attached.
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 7:26pm
Its definitely a 1.125 shaft. my wife and I use the boat for 50% slalom, 40% pleasure, and 10% trying to hurt my friends on a tube. I do not remember if the shaft is tapered or splined, I will look into that tomorrow. I love the way the boat is out of the hole, and handles a skiier, my brother in law is 6'5" around 285 lbs and will pull him out slalom with 3 in the boat like none other, but the top end sucks. Like I said this is my first inboard, I've had a hydrostream vector ith a 150 merc (too loud) a sidewinder jet with a 455 (scared my wife) and a checkmate ambassador (project never got finished before I sold it) and the inboard is by far my favorite!
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 8:48pm
i would imagine the strut wouldve been changed also to accomadate the larger strut bearing, any marking on that would help, engine/transmission pics would help, a swap like that wouldnt be a bad thing, your using the boat as intended, you just need to get more power possibly or more prop???
what does the engine hit at WOT?
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 9:06pm
I never wanted to push it to far, but a couple of times i saw it hit 5000 to 5100 I think the engine has plent of grunt, its just a bad prop now I think. I thought i had some sort of wierd junkyard retrofit tranny until you informed me of the mastercraps powerslot deal
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 9:20pm
time to trade in some of those RPMs for some MPH's, a 466 may be the way to go lol, actually wait around or call Bill Weeks at Acme....someone will get you in the ballpark, need some more pitch I would say...if its a chevy keep her around 4600 on the wot, Ford 4400 on the WOT....5100 may throw a rod on the blue one lol.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 9:29pm
I'd say your boat is ideal for pulling multiple skiers or wakeboarders, or any skier with a loaded boat.

The 13x13 should be the original prop for the original engine's transmision setup. It's too small for what you have now.

I think you could get better performance with a 17,18 or even 19 pitch propeller if your engine's healthy.

afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 9:37pm
Thanks for the help guys, I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the mechanicals, The funny thing is I cant see any signs of a retro-fit at all. Were the 2001's available with this setup? When I bought this boat it had no rear seat, and I asked the gentleman who sold it to me he said I bought the boat in 1990 from the original owner, and he never had a rear seat for it either. It makes me wonder if it was a special package or something
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 12:19am
something like the boat you have could of slipped thru the cracks with the 1.52:1 as a special pull boat or test boat, I'm the farthest from a CC history buff, the godfather on the site would be the one that may know something or even Jodi, they'll be along. Dave I'm sure could ask if there ever was a set-up with the 1.52 from the factory..
I believe to this day one of the mastercraft models still use that identical transmission, it should be a model number 10-17-006
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 1:11am
I can add that Bill at Acme is a very helpful guy. The Acme CNC props I have bought have been fantastic. A new prop will make all the difference in the world. Especially the right one! You should go ahead and check the alignment of the driveline while you are deciding on the prop. Do a search on alignment.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 1:14am
Maybe the boat was used for pulling up logs down in the bayou....like that ax-men show!
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:14am
My uncle and I are going to align it next weekend. I have to pull the left rear tranny mount off to get a crack fixed, and then we are going to check the alignment.
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 9:13am
Originally posted by afd414 afd414 wrote:

I have to pull the left rear tranny mount off to get a crack fixed, and then we are going to check the alignment.

Andy,
Where's the crack? Mount or glass on the stringer? I'm asking because a 88 is getting to the point where you should be concerned about the stringer condition. Have you done any checking?

Welcome to CCfan. Have you been around for awhile and just new to posting? Glad you found the site ether way. I know some one will have a answer on the trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 9:42am
on the 1.5's alignment is very crucial, its a shorter thicker shaft, (oh boy) and if out will heat up the trans. the transmission is bullet proof, it needs to be dead on with the alignment.
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 1:19pm
The crack is on the cast mount itself. The floors are original and mint I dont want to dig to far into them though you all know what happens when you do. I have read this site for about a year now, but just joined, it is very informative!
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic