Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering problem HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rtsuggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtsuggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering problem HELP!
    Posted: April-12-2010 at 10:12pm
Took my 78 sn to the lake for it's maiden voyage..It plained off and I was running about 25mph and the steering would not turn right. I choped the throttle to idle and turned it all the way to the left and then back to the right and it would turn right again until I got up to speed it would lock. so I pulled it out of the water to check it and you can hold the steering wheel and move the rudder to the right with out the steering wheel moving. What could be slipping like that?

Thanks
78 nautique
78 ski nautique SOLD
85 ski nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 10:32pm
My first guess is the bolt on the top of the tiller arm is not holding it down on the boss at the top of the rudder shaft. Mine was loose a couple of years ago and the boat would suddenly steer 5 degrees one way or the other, at a moderate cruising speed.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

rtsuggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtsuggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 11:34pm

Thanks that's the first thing I checked but did find that it was slipping in the brachet under the rear floor board that holds it to the stringer. I'll take it out tomorrow and test it out.

Thanks
78 nautique
78 ski nautique SOLD
85 ski nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 11:59pm
The cable block was slipping? See if you can see marks on the tube from where it was originally clamped down.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 8:46am
Robbie,
If you can'd see where the tube was locked down on the block, position the wheel in the center of the lock to lock turns and the rudder in the center neutral position. That's where you want to tighten the block down on the tube.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rtsuggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtsuggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 12:00pm
Thanks I'll do that today. I just tightened it down where it was at..

Thanks
78 nautique
78 ski nautique SOLD
85 ski nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 12:31pm
While your in there, make sure your rudder assembly is taken care of. (Packing nut, Jam nut etc)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic