NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford Blue

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Blue
    Posted: March-23-2010 at 12:49am
Going to be painting an intake manifold soon and need some Ford Blue to match my 302 HM. Any recommendations from those who have been there? Summit has several brands of spray. Seems there is Ford Blue, Ford Dark Blue and Ford Corporate Blue.

Thanks!
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 1:16am
I found this ....

Ford Colors

http://www.fordification.com/bumpwiki/index.php?title=Ford_Engine_Colors

Light blue - a.k.a. Old Ford Blue
1963 (some applications) - 1965
Duplicolor DE 1601 (Ford Blue)
   Corporate Ford Blue

1966-1968
Orig Ford PN: EP-2075-C
Duplicolor DE 1621 (Old Ford Blue)
PPG DAR 13358
   Ford Blue

1969-1981
Duplicolor DE 1606 (Ford Dark Blue)
TRW #630224
Eastwood's "Dark Ford Blue"
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 1:47am
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

1969-1981
Duplicolor DE 1606 (Ford Dark Blue)
TRW #630224
Eastwood's "Dark Ford Blue"

Mike N

1968 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 2:02am
Pretty
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 11:30am
Great looking engine Wakeslayer. Mines seems to be a brighter blue.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 11:49am
Could be just the lighting. Not sure.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 2:09pm
It may very well be the light cus that looks right on.
I'll go with it, if it doesn't match, so what. I'm only painting the intake at this point anyway.

Unless I can figure a way to clean and paint the engine with it still in the boat...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 3:50pm
I was only going to paint the trans and motor mounts. Careful what you start.   
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 1:24am
Dave,when you go to put this back together,do yourself a favor and mount the thermostat and housing before you put the manifold on the block,it will be easier. Then lose the end cork gaskets at the front and rear of the manifold use this instead.Get yourself 4 cheap bolts the same size as your manifold bolts,but longer and cut off the heads.Loosely put them into the 4 corners of the block where the manifold bolts go in.This helps you guide the manifold down as you lower it and keeps the gaskets in place. Put a thick bead of the permatex ultra blue on the block where those cork gaskets would go. Lower the manifold, start some bolts,remove those ones you used for a guide and torque it up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 11:10am
Thanks for the tips Gary! I was planning on using gasket maker for the front and rear.

Also have this and this on the list per the manifold's instructions.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 1:30pm
Vondy, not that it's a huge deal, but the color that Mike went with shown above, the 1606 Dark Blue, and which i've normally used, is indeed darker than what you originally have. Mike's first shot is more accurate. I believe they used the lighter color originally and then maybe moved to the darker shade in the later years near the end. Holman Moody that is.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 1:49pm
Here is a better shot of how dark the Ford Dark Blue is:

Here is a good shot of a nice H-M:

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:02pm
The HM one looks just like my blue. Is that one the Dark Blue? Seems a good bit lighter than the top one.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:35pm
No. My Crusader (and Mike's Interceptor) are both painted Dark Ford Blue. Like Reid said, the H-M's were a bit lighter, as you can see from your engine, as well as the other H-M I posted.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 4:14pm
Wonder if it's the Ford Corporate Blue?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 4:26pm
Id say its pretty close!

You can always ask H-M, they may know what color it was painted originally.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 10:35pm
I painted mine dark too,Pete's gonna go crazy when he finds out we're all changing

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:04am
I sent an email to HM. Let's see if they respond like the did to my last question.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:25pm
As long as we're discussing engine paint, there's one thing I've always wondered about. Engine paint primer? I've never seen one (nor used one) even after doing some searching. I'll be painting the Flexifour soon and I'd like to give it the best possible paint job. Anyone seen a primer or have any experience?

From the Duplicolor chart (I'll double check at the auto supply - don't trust the colors over the net) it looks like I'll be using ether "Pontiac blue" or "Chrysler green"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 8:09pm
Didn't Joe use primer on his? I was back reading the "stroker" thread from a couple years ago, and think I saw he did.
I am starting my research towards my SN motor, which brought me to that. Speaking of, what color is that engine supposed to be? Is it the Chrysler Green you are speaking of Pete? Seems it is a lightish blue at the moment. Looks old enough to be original.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 9:41pm
Not to start an arguement Pete,check out the paint here Bill Hirsch it's the best for motors. Used it on my MG 15 yrs ago and still has held up great,used it on my Hondas and on the HM in my picture above. No primer needed on cast iron,look at the thermostat cover in my pic, thats brush painted,no brush marks on cast. The regular steel and aluminium parts I used regular primer.I buy the quarts and that way I can brush or spray. Use the drop down menu and see if they have your color and if they do you won't be sorry.
The other good thing since the MG leaks so much,is that engine cleaner like Gunk does not affect the paint either
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 10:16pm
Gary,
Thanks for the link. I was looking for quarts rather than a aerosol. Wish they had a color chart!! The one I looked at is the online Duplicolor.

Mike,
The engine color although I'm sure changed through the years is a medium green with a blue tint to it but not to the point of being aqua. I have no idea what the original was and can find no references to it. I'm only going by what color was on it. It's the original as there wasn't other color under it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 11:38am
Who's engine is this? Come forth and tell us what color blue you used....
My engine aspires to look like this one some day.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 12:25pm
That H-M belongs (or belonged) to a guy in NC not too far from ReidP. He's never been on here. He had his boats listed for sale last fall, not sure if theyre gone or not. Your best bet on the color is to either talk to H-M themselves, or Reid may know what matches.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 12:43pm
H-M never replied to my inquiry. I'll shoot them another email.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 12:48pm
Maybe it would be worth a phone call?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 6:23pm
Vondy, I wouldn't even bother contacting HM, as the man in charge there now, even though he is Lee Holman, son of original owner John Holman, was only about 20 years old when your engine was made. I'm quite confident they'd be guessing to say which paint they used during what years anyway, and they've understandably not shown a great interest in old business which makes them no money. Sorta like another company we know. I'll make a call to the parts guys there who ironically is still there after 45 yrs and who is really cool. I'll post again asap.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 7:25pm
That's great Reid, thanks!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 8:15pm
OK. I spoke to several of the guys, namely parts man Junior Martin who referred me to engine builder Jimmy Tucker. He joined HM in '64 (and he's still there!) and he informed me that they rec'd the paint in 55gal barrels and that while he naturally couldn't quote a color or when it might have changed slightly, he said it did likely change along with Ford corp changes. So we're sort of where we started. He did tell me that they are currently painting new engines PlastiKote 224, however this has nothing to do with engines they painted 40 yrs ago, and these aren't marine engines either. http://www.plastikote.com/products/Specialty/Engine-Enamel.html To me, the older engines look more like the PlastiKote Old Ford Blue shown on this sample chart, and if I'm certain of only one thing, the color which Vondy has said he likes on the Inca Gold beauty is not the dark blue, but the lighter shade. I say buy several different cans/colors/brands, shoot a sample and go with the one you like most. Then return the other cans.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 10:39pm
David,call or email these guys and ask them for a color chart or where to see their colors.I used their Ford blue 1941,42-48. They have a Ford medium blue 1963-67 and a Mustang blue 67 on w/302. They have quarts and spray cans.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic